Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Irish Heritage faces the cutters torch

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its only taken 31 posts to find out what's the significance of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's one of the last if not the last vessels of riveted construction, built in Dublin and the last remaining railway owned seagoing vessel on the island of Ireland, but I can't imagine that means anything to you. If people were on the ball in the 1960s we could have preserved a steamship like the British, Swiss, Kiwis or Dutch, but shure they were still on the go, why would we bother...it's not a monument (sic.) of note.

That sounds like a good starting point to build a case for saving her - would a stronger case not be made if she was moved 'home,' - as in moved to the West where no doubt those who she served would have a greater affinity for her than Dublin would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

beauf wrote: »
    Its only taken 31 posts to find out what's the significance of it.

Do we take it then that we have your approval to proceed with attempts to save it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It's one of the last if not the last vessels of riveted construction, built in Dublin and the last remaining railway owned seagoing vessel on the island of Ireland, but I can't imagine that means anything to you.
    If this is how people campaign for funding for conservation (only admitting begrudgingly that the ship might have some significance after all) then it's no wonder that they struggle to attract interest. But thank you for lowering yourself to providing a reason as to why this might be a candidate for preservation

Reekwind wrote: »
    If this is how people campaign for funding for conservation (only admitting begrudgingly that the ship might have some significance after all) then it's no wonder that they struggle to attract interest. But thank you for lowering yourself to providing a reason as to why this might be a candidate for preservation

People are interested in preserving all sorts of things but the ordinary Joe Soap has little say in these matters. Those that could/should do something, and have their hands on the levers of power, couldn't care less about anything once they get their despicable snouts in the trough - try reading "Animal Farm".

• Advertisement

Do we take it then that we have your approval to proceed with attempts to save it? :rolleyes:

No
    Reekwind wrote: »

+1

Its like a negativity and sarcasm campaign. Good luck with that. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. In terms of construction very similar to M.V. Cill Airne. Do we need another one? What are the visitor.customers numbers like on the M.V. Cill Airne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Local taximan in Kenmare is changing his cab, it's working life is over. This cab has faithfully carried many to surrounding towns and villages at all hours in all weathers over it's career. Surely this is worth preserving?��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

roadsmart wrote: »
    Local taximan in Kenmare is changing his cab, it's working life is over. This cab has faithfully carried many to surrounding towns and villages at all hours in all weathers over it's career. Surely this is worth preserving?��

Yeah sure, why not?:rolleyes:

Yeah sure, why not?:rolleyes:

Ah mebbe it's just me, but I really can't see the difference between an old ferry and an old taxi.

Is that the best you can do? Why do you feel obliged to post such rubbish in this thread, indeed why do you even bother reading a thread when you clearly have no interest in the subject being discussed?

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    No

+1

Its like a negativity and sarcasm campaign. Good luck with that. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. In terms of construction very similar to M.V. Cill Airne. Do we need another one? What are the visitor.customers numbers like on the M.V. Cill Airne.

Oh dear, were you just about to put your hand in your pocket? :rolleyes:

Is that the best you can do? Why do you feel obliged to post such rubbish in this thread, indeed why do you even bother reading a thread when you clearly have no interest in the subject being discussed?

Oooh, touchy. I wasn't aware i was entered in a competition. I would have as much interest as the next man in the preservation of our heritage, but there are sensible limits, and I consider an old rustbucket of a ferry to be outside them. That is of course my opinion, which I'm entitled to hold. I certainly won't get upset over yours, no matter how trivial and ridiculous I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I would agree that we could do with a maritime museum of sort but to start off with an Aran Island ferry? Surely we can (and yes, should) do better. Would anyone posting here go to the UK to see an Isle of Wight ferry from the 50s?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would agree that we could do with a maritime museum of sort but to start off with an Aran Island ferry? Surely we can (and yes, should) do better. Would anyone posting here go to the UK to see an Isle of Wight ferry from the 50s?

So, what do you suggest, and I think that you're missing the point, almost everything has already been scrapped and a start has to be made somewhere.

So, what do you suggest, and I think that you're missing the point, almost everything has already been scrapped and a start has to be made somewhere.

Soemthing like the Sunbeam in Kerry would be of more interest to me, it's older, and it has some a story. I don't think it's Irish but I think it's more interesting than a ferry. Last I heard it was being reburied at see which seems daft to me. I don't know much about Ireland's maritime history but I find it hard to believe we can't do better than a ferry. I'm all for having a maritime museum/historical archive but not just for the sake of it which is what this feels like.

Currently there are four vessels in the Dublin Port area which combined would provide the nucleus of an interesting Maritime Collection: The "Naomh Eanna" ferry and the adjacent RNLI lifeboat "Mary Stanford"; north of the Liffey is the famine ship replica "Jeanie Johnston" and the last remaining lightship "Kittiwake". Quite a representative group - throw in some retired naval service vessel(s) and presto!

Oh dear, were you just about to put your hand in your pocket? :rolleyes:

Thus far thats exactly what you were suggesting, paying for this rust bucket out of everyones pocket.

The justification that its an Irish made riveted ship, is kinda nullified by the fact there already is one.
    wo passenger liner tenders were commissioned by the Irish Government on July 12, 1961 - the M.V. Blarna and its exact replica or sister ship, the M.V. Cill Airne....The sisters were built in the Liffey Dockyard in Dublin and were the very last of the riveted ships to be built in Europe. Rivetting was being replaced by electric arc welding in the 1930s but the incredible production of the Liberty ships during the war sealed the fate of rivetting forever. Research has indicated that the decision to rivet the two sisters was a political one, designed to ensure employment of the last of the rivetting crews in the Liffey Dock. So the T.S.M.V. Cill Airne has a European industrial significance, as well as a social connection to Dublin.

I'm not clear on how industrial significance, construction, culture etc. is communicated by turning it onto a restaurant.

Did he ever carry anyone famous in it? Or did anyone famous ever reminisce about being carried in it?

........I've a couple of vintage bikes I bought and restored as a pet project - I wonder if I can get the public purse to pay for the work I did. One of the bikes is quite famous - it looks like one that Sean Kelly used to ride.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Did he ever carry anyone famous in it? Or did anyone famous ever reminisce about being carried in it?

........I've a couple of vintage bikes I bought and restored as a pet project - I wonder if I can get the public purse to pay for the work I did. One of the bikes is quite famous - it looks like one that Sean Kelly used to ride.

Bejayziss, I think one of the Healy rays got sick near it one night.

Not good enough......maybe if they left one of their caps on the back seat we could do something.

.....if that pool of puke is still there maybe we could do something with that? Any reports of miracles, unexplained cures etc from people who smelled it?

• Advertisement

.if that pool of puke is still there maybe we could do something with that? Any reports of miracles, unexplained cures etc from people who smelled it?

The puke, alas mysteriously disappeared in unusual circumstances. Some still hold out hope in the area that it may yet reappear (some time around Easter) and stand in local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Not good enough......maybe if they left one of their caps on the back seat we could do something.

.....if that pool of puke is still there maybe we could do something with that? Any reports of miracles, unexplained cures etc from people who smelled it?
    The puke, alas mysteriously disappeared in unusual circumstances. Some still hold out hope in the area that it may yet reappear (some time around Easter) and stand in local elections.
    Less of this rubbish please. You have made your point.
    Moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Soemthing like the Sunbeam in Kerry would be of more interest to me, it's older, and it has some a story.
    That wreck is a good example of how we regard our marine heritage – the storm had not even abated before the vultures alighted to steal the copper fastenings from her timbers.
    I would agree that we could do with a maritime museum of sort but to start off with an Aran Island ferry? Surely we can (and yes, should) do better.
    Another example of the opinionated ignorance that abounds in this country. We already HAVE a National Maritime Museum. However, it is grossly underfunded both by the State and by voluntary subscriptions, so you can look here and maybe visit or send a few quid if you feel so strongly about marine heritage.

Nothing surprises me anymore, considering that the State trousered the insurance cheque for the Asgard II and shamefully did nothing about a replacement . The Jeanie Johnston is being allowed to decay tied to a quay wall; Dun Laoghaire Rathdown built an abortion of a new Library on the seafront (against the wishes of many locals) that will cost €40 million yet for a fraction of the cost a dedicated maritime heritage centre could easily be housed on the Carlisle Pier and linked with the actual museum just across the road.

Another example of the opinionated ignorance that abounds in this country. We already HAVE a National Maritime Museum. However, it is grossly underfunded both by the State and by voluntary subscriptions, so you can look here and maybe visit or send a few quid if you feel so strongly about marine heritage.

Why am I getting picked on for being opinionated :( Have you read the rest of the thread?

I'll accept the ignorance point though, what I know of Irish maritime heritage and the preservation thereof I've learnt from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Why am I getting picked on for being opinionated :( Have you read the rest of the thread?

I'll accept the ignorance point though, what I know of Irish maritime heritage and the preservation thereof I've learnt from this thread.

Not picking on you Funlover, no personal offense meant. I've been following the thread and while I like the notion of rescuing the Naomh Eanna, I am realistic about the value proposition and believe that the amount of cash necessary could be put to far more efficient use elsewhere. A time comes when the kindest thing is to send for the vet and a needle. The Eanna could be the focus of a starting point for debate on maritime heritage.

Lots of people are in favour of saving something but when the time comes to put hand in pocket...... A bit like a listed house, you spend a fortune maintaining it, doing without all sorts of things because you get bu##er all support and then you get told 'You should not be charging to see the garden, it should be free.' And then, when your back is turned, out come the scissors and a slow-growing shrub is hacked back to a stump for cuttings. Ever see what a busload of ............sorry, rant over! Stay with us here, don't mind old curmudgeons like me!

Advertisement