Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-voting machines sold for €70,000

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

seamus wrote: »
    Don't have any "official" link because apparently these positions are never advertised, you just have to apply to the Returning Officer who sticks your name down on a list. But they are paid positions, and allegedly you're not permitted to be a member of a politicial party.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70190365

Lots of similar links from boards and AAM with just people who've done it outlining the process.

Seamus, I just quickly flew through that but that showed members of parties doing as vols, or did I miss it. My brother is a member of SF:o and he counted votes in the past unpaid.

Apologies if I missed something right under my nose. Maybe those post refer to those whom I cannot spell?

Edit I have nothing to hide if I'm wrong, I posted because of those digs at the PS as if this fcuk up is my fault!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Odysseus wrote: »
    Seamus, I just quickly flew through that but that show members of parties doing as vols, or did I miss it. My brother is a member of SF:o and he counted votes in the past unpaid.

Apologies if I missed something right under my nose. May those post refer to those whom I cannot spell?
    Now that I'm reading it, I don't know. Apparently there are positions as "polling clerks", who may or may not count on the day, depending on the counters required. There are people drafted in to do just counting, but these appear to be only local authority staff. So still paid and not really volunteers.

I've looked at a few threads, and there are no suggestions that party members are brought in to voluntarily count the official ballots.

I do know that the parties send out party members to oversee the counts and stand there with a notepad behind the official counters, making note of the figures as they come in. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A small few facts;
    Noel dempsey invented the concept and ordered the voting machines
    They are being stored in the Curragh Army camp for the last few years.
    There will be 420 truck movements involved in the recycling process.
    They must be cleared of all data etc in the recycling process, so any sold will not be functional.
    The whole process was a total fcuk up.
    This should be the last we hear of them, TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

THE TAXPAYER faces the prospect of a bill of more than €350,000 to rent an empty shed which was used to store the controversial e-voting machines.

The Irish Independent has learned that the Department of the Environment is locked into a 25-year lease at a premises in Co Monaghan, and that there is 17 years left to run at an annual rent of more than €21,500.

This means that unless there is a break-out clause in the lease -- which allows either side to terminate the contract -- the State faces paying almost €370,000 between now and February 2029 to rent an empty shed.

The shed is located outside Clones in Co Monaghan, and is owned by Martin Duffy.

Mr Duffy was awarded the lucrative contract in 2004 by his aunt, former Cavan/Monaghan returning officer Josephine Duffy, after she viewed a number of premises.

The Government announced earlier this week it had sold the infamous €54m e-voting machines for scrap for just over €70,000, or €9.30 each.

A huge fleet of trucks will begin removing the 7,500 machines from 14 locations on Monday.

They will be taken to a Co Offaly recycling company, KMK Metals Recycling Ltd in Tullamore, where they will be stripped down, shredded and sold.

About 60pc of the machines are stored in Gormanston, Co Meath, with the rest in 13 other locations. Four of these 13 premises will be used to store other voting equipment, such as ballot boxes, and nine will no longer be required.

Eight of the nine premises are on short-term leases of no longer than a year, apart from the one owned by Mr Duffy at Scotshouse near Clones, Co Monaghan which runs for another 17 years.

Legal experts said last night that unless there was a break-out clause in the lease, the State would have to honour the contract. However, the lease could be terminated by agreement.

"If there's no clause, there's absolutely no reason to agree to a break," one said. "You could just say sorry, I've 15 years left to run on a lease. It's something that's negotiated. I've been in a position many times where the landlord shrugs his shoulders and says 'make me an offer.'"

The 25-year lease given to Mr Duffy was the longest-term lease awarded to any operator to store the e-voting machines. Some 280 were held at the agricultural shed, which was built without planning permission.

Removal

Mr Duffy, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, sought retention planning permission in October 2009, which was granted in April 2010.

The e-voting machines will be removed from the premises by September.

- Paul Melia

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/370000-bill-for-empty-evoting-shed-3154087.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

So let me get this right.

The owner of the storage facility was awarded a contract for the use of it, for 25 years which was much more than any of the other facilities used, BY HIS AUNT and also was granted retention planning permission for the facility. What a fucking farce! The aunt should have to foot the bill if a break in the lease isn't granted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

So the Egyptian deal fell through then. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/article.php?id=268

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So let me get this right.

The owner of the storage facility was awarded a contract for the use of it, for 25 years which was much more than any of the other facilities used, BY HIS AUNT and also was granted retention planning permission for the facility. What a fucking farce! The aunt should have to foot the bill if a break in the lease isn't granted.

Banana Republic:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NB they fold flat for storage - see the picture
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0629/breaking2.html

€21,500 a year to store 288 machines.

25 year contract for machines with a lifespan of 20 years

And he didn't even submit a tender :eek:

Scandalous.

But don't let this detract anyone from the millions wasted by those higher up. :mad:

One has to hope these were secure tamper proof facilities and not a 'shed'. At this stage I think we need to proof that none of the machines were tampered with before they are destroyed. Otherwise any possible evidence will be lost forever.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/green-party/135414-183-000-store-e-voting-machines-6.html#post2908902
    Martin Duffy, nephew of Cavan-Monaghan returning officer Josephine Duffy, who has responsibility for securing 288 of the ill-fated e-voting machines in her electoral area, won the 675,000 contract to house the machines in his shed for 25 years. This is despite the fact that electronic voting equipment has a lifespan of only 20 years.

Josephine Duffy has denied any impropriety and said her nephew's steel frame shed in Scotstown, Co Monaghan, was the only suitable facility, even though he did not submit a tender.

'[Being my nephew] didn't make a difference. I do not do deals with relations. It was between his solicitor and mine, " she said, adding that the five storage facility tenders she received did not have suitable insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

This Duffy guy does NOT have to do jack. If the state wants out of the contract he can name his price.ThatS the joke.
    He was handed the contract by the aunt even though he HADNT a shed suitable to store the machines at the time ffs!!So to solve this slap up a shed and say nothing as it's Lotto time for Duffy.
    Why the long lease?Why not a review every 3 years?Aunty Duff put that in place?
    As for the scrapping of them that too was a joke and a great return for the government !!
    Fianna Fail didn't know what to do with the money rolling in during the boom but had gobdaws like Cullen and Dempsey to come up with daft ideas in how to spend it!!
    I thought the 10 million over spend on the Jeannie Johnson famine ship took the biscuit but this tops all!!
    The country at that time was governed by a pack of gob****es who were in power too long and should never be let in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

So thats it, €55 million worth of machines sold for 70k all at the stroke of a peann luaidhe.
    Yeah, shocking, not like when they sold off the Allouette helicopters for €300k and they ended up making several million for the company that was smart enough to buy them. It's easy to say "oops" with other peoples money, especially if you get paid no matter how much you lose or cock up. Gotta laugh at the "the other tenderers didn't have proper insulation. FFS, Duffy didn't even HAVE a shed at the time -it was built afterwards.No Insulation!!! You gotta laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Pottler wrote: »
    Yeah, shocking, not like when they sold off the Allouette helicopters for €300k and they ended up making several million for the company that was smart enough to buy them. It's easy to say "oops" with other peoples money, especially if you get paid no matter how much you lose or cock up. Gotta laugh at the "the other tenderers didn't have proper insulation. FFS, Duffy didn't even HAVE a shed at the time -it was built afterwards.No Insulation!!! You gotta laugh.

Not only that the Government had a multi million dollar Gulfstream jet house in a hangar that was too short to accomodate the aeroplane!!
    It's tail was exposed to the elements so it required a v expensive overhaul of the tail section !!
    At least It happened before Mary Harney took it off to open a pub.£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ in euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

me bolly wrote: »
    Not only that the Government had a multi million dollar Gulfstream jet house in a hangar that was too short to accomodate the aeroplane!!
    It's tail was exposed to the elements so it required a v expensive overhaul of the tail section !!
    At least It happened before Mary Harney took it off to open a pub.£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ in euros
    Orr, the Garda surveillance aircraft, bought and equipped at huge cost, but the weight of the aerials and gear was too much to be certified for the airframe as it was unsafe!. OOPs. Or the fleet of vans bought for accessing overhead cables, fitted with cherrypickers, but sadly unable to be certified so unused, oops. The powerstations built for c.a 100 million, sold off for 35million, a jasus, you could go on and on and on. Muppets would be a compliment, what about the ppars system, more countless millions p1ssed away.. my head hurts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To think we could have spent all that wasted money on stuff like this
    http://chutzpah.soup.io/post/229237704/Cats-in-zero-gravity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I heard an item on Newstalk on Friday about the whole issue. Apparently €24 million went astray between two companies set up to supply these machines. One company in Holland, the other in Ireland. After the whole idea was abandoned, both companies folded and the directors vanished. Here is a link

http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/221/friday/1/popup

The Right Hook

Friday Show - Part 2 - skip in to 30 minutes

the cost of manufacturing each machine was €500 -€600

The chips that were used were Motorola 68000 which cost approx $4 each.

Have a listen, it is scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What an absolute farce. Surely the company who made them should have been forced to fix any bugs and these things then could have saved millions every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Why weren't all the machines stored in gormanstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Shame to recycle them

Put them in Irish pubs around the world, a real symbol of a certain time

We might be doing the same with irish pubs in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

They might be better in Grangegorman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

where is the missing €24 million, and why hasn't anyone been prosecuted? thats what Id like to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Can Martin Duffy not be convinced of the state of the public finances, which means that vulnerable people are suffering due to cutbacks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Who decided the length of the lease of Martin Duffy's shed? His aunt? The minister? A civil servant? Why was it decided that the lease would last 25 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

endakenny wrote: »
    Who decided the length of the lease of Martin Duffy's shed? His aunt? The minister? A civil servant? Why was it decided that the lease would last 25 years?

500,000 euro's worth of reasons

Advertisement