Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The Economist made the prediction in January that misinformation would continue to grow in 2015. It's actually wondered if it's a fuel for bigotry and begrudgery in relation towards certain demographics. Thankfully, in Ireland most of the sh1t seems to be nonsense about diet and Irish water. I'll take that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Its the bullshít wrapped in a cloak of 'respectability'/'credibility', where the proponents (Very Serious People as Glenn Greenwald would put it) are quick to shut-down/dismiss dissent with various levels of condescension, which you have to watch out for the most - this is the kind of politicized bullshít that even very intelligent people are fooled into believing, on a mass scale.

The conspiracy theories are easy to root out and spot, but this kind of harder to spot stuff, is the most damaging to society by far.

Any idea that you are not allowed to doubt is a dangerous idea.:)
    - Turtwig,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A new direction in complex surface printing:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    A new direction in complex surface printing:

Damn this technology!! That's me right out of business so. 3d printing/painting had better stay expensive!

• Advertisement

An astronomer waxes lyrical about stars and humans:

https://www.facebook.com/TheAtlantic/videos/10153114940823487/

Interesting article, chronicling the history of the Humanist movement, how it has been historically based on opposing economic injustice - and how the issue of economic injustice has become watered down in the modern movement, in a way that supports the economic status quo through neglecting the movements roots (it's very long though, so skip past all the bits involved in citing e.g. names of the historical leadership of the movement):
    http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/05/28/how-the-humanist-movement-fosters-economic-injustice/

There is also a mention in the article, that the 'New Atheist' movement (I have not read up on the term/movement yet), is similarly 'state and corporate power serving' - presumably by neglecting economic justice/injustice issues.

I think it's a valid point, that movements that should be motivated to having a ruthless application of critical thinking and skepticism, do seem to have a conspicuous absence of applying these principles to issues of economic injustice - most particularly, completely neglecting applying those principles to analysing the economic system as a whole.

It's not a problem unique to those movements though - to be honest, I'm kind of baffled by the society-wide lack of interest, in applying skeptical-analysis/critical-thinking, to the overall economic system; it's something that just doesn't seem to be discussed much at all, issues are only ever discussed within the limits of the current economic system, not of how the overall system should be reformed.

The article also gives an extremely interesting view of religion, and how economic injustice can help to bolster religious belief, and how resolving economic injustice helps make religious belief lose its power.

Just about every movement (awaits exceptions) has its roots in economic injustice and loses those roots as it evolves.

Replied on a related Philosophy thread there, which was about Humanism, to avoid derailing this thread too much (maybe better to reply there):
    Ya but if you read the article (even partially), economic injustice was one of the central parts of the early Humanist movement - before being supplanted later on - and the article makes some great points as to why it is central, and why modern Humanism lacks coherence without it.

I mean, think about it; part of Humanism's general theme is the betterment of human life/values, and having a humane society based on such values - economics is absolutely central to that, because how humane our society is, is determined in large part by poverty, income/wealth inequality, quality of living - especially for the least well off, as well as the unemployed etc. - among more.

In modern developed societies, it is economic factors that nowadays have the greatest effect on how humane our societies are - especially to the least financially well off; a lot of people are just left to drop off the edge of society in this way, or to otherwise become trapped or be significantly negatively affected by economic circumstances.
    It's very conspicuous, for something so important to drop off the radar of the modern Humanist movement, compared to the earlier movement, given the values they espouse.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95675864#post95675864

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good talk by ex muslim Sarah Haider. The two groups that cause her the most trouble are Islamic groups and the Left , her support comes from the secular community

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers

The Church of England has lost nearly two million followers in the last two years and is on the brink of "extinction", it has been warned.

The number of people in the UK who describe their beliefs as being Church of England or Anglican dropped from 21 per cent to 17 per cent between 2012 and 2014- a loss of around 1.7 million followers. The number of Anglicans in Britain is now thought to stand at around 8.6 million.

The former Archbishop of Canterbury, Lord Carey, has warned that unless urgent action is taken, the organisation is just “one generation away from extinction.”

The figures have been revealed as part of the NatCen’s British Social Attitudes Survey, the UK’s longest running poll of public opinion.

Over the same period, the poll found that the number of Muslims in Britain grew by close to a million making it the fastest growing religion in the UK. 4.7 per cent of Britons now describe themselves as Muslim, amounting to 2.4 million.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All hail the Virgin sawfish, a true Virgin....unlike that imposter Mary.

Clearly the sawfish has been chosen by god to give birth to the new Jesus

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32958033
    Seven sawfish in Florida have become the first virgin-born animals ever found in the wild from a sexually reproducing species.

The discovery suggests that such births may be a natural response to dwindling numbers, rather than a freak occurrence largely seen in captivity.

It was made by ecologists studying genetic diversity in a critically endangered species of ray.

They say that births of this kind may be more common than previously thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Frank Sinatra’s views on organized religion were decades ahead of his time. (Full interview with Playboy magazine)
    Playboy: You haven’t found any answers for yourself in organized religion?

Sinatra: There are things about organized religion which I resent. Christ is revered as the Prince of Peace, but more blood has been shed in His name than any other figure in history. You show me one step forward in the name of religion and I’ll show you a hundred retrogressions. Remember, they were men of God who destroyed the educational treasures at Alexandria, who perpetrated the Inquisition in Spain, who burned the witches at Salem. Over 25,000 organized religions flourish on this planet, but the followers of each think all the others are miserably misguided and probably evil as well.

Playboy: Hasn’t religious faith just as often served as a civilizing influence?

Sinatra: Remember that leering, cursing lynch mob in Little Rock reviling a meek, innocent little 12-year-old Negro girl as she tried to enroll in public school? Weren’t they — or most of them — devout churchgoers? I detest the two-faced who pretend liberality but are practiced bigots in their own mean little spheres. I didn’t tell my daughter whom to marry, but I’d have broken her back if she had had big eyes for a bigot. As I see it, man is a product of his conditioning, and the social forces which mold his morality and conduct — including racial prejudice — are influenced more by material things like food and economic necessities than by the fear and awe and bigotry generated by the high priests of commercialized superstition.

Playboy: Are you saying that . . .

Sinatra: No, wait, let me finish. Have you thought of the chance I’m taking by speaking out this way? Can you imagine the deluge of crank letters, curses, threats and obscenities I’ll receive after these remarks gain general circulation? Worse, the boycott of my records, my films, maybe a picket line at my opening at the Sands. Why? Because I’ve dared to say that love and decency are not necessarily concomitants of religious fervor.

Sinatra could have added assassination to the list. Something I wouldn't put past America's god botherers.

I had no idea about this side to Sinatra. The interviewer should have asked him, what was his favourite way to cook a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus - I for one had absolutely no idea that Frank Sinatra was so eloquent!
    For some reason I had this picture in my head of some kind of low level gangster who just happened to have a really good singing voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

SW wrote: »

Another interesting bit:
    When asked about their religious belief, the survey found that the most common response was having no religion. 49 per cent of people do not describe themselves has[sic] having any belief.

Life ain't always empty.

Google are experimenting with new classes of user interface:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I could see that evolving into a kind of sign language which people will learn so they can interact better with electronic devices. Instead of touchscreens. Similar to the signing that deaf people use (but more basic).

Cross-posting from another thread:
    Good article here, on how our brains are pretty much hardwired to react to immediate threats to survival, and ignore 'long-term-threats' to survival - such as climate change - which are more abstract and hard to see as a definite or immediate threat, yet which are still among the biggest dangers we face in the near future:
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/apocalypse-neuro-why-our-brain-cant-process-the-planets-gravest-threats

Makes a lot of sense, especially when applied to the topic of economics - which is largely abstract enough, that the vast majority of people don't seem to have an interest in or be willing to develop the knowledge required, to see what is wrong with economic practice or what needs reform - opting for simplistic/wrong economic reasoning, based around moralizing that justifies the present system staying in place, despite readily available alternatives (which is especially relevant, as this type of reform is key/critical to fighting climate change).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95853867#post95853867

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Speaking of brains.... Surgeon plans head transplant for 2017
    Has been honing his technique by practicing on bananas.

Cross-posting again:
    Another really good article, this time on political propaganda and getting the public to turn against protesters - touching on some key things that I see on a regular basis online (on Boards for instance), such as the GamerGate stuff and how advantaged groups who support discrimination against a less powerful group, try to make the advantaged group look like they are the victims instead:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-powerful-people-trick-you-into-hating-underdogs/

You see this a lot in debates on Boards, whenever posters start talking about 'political correctness' (and a lot of mens rights posters use this tactic as well - to defend attacks on feminism) - e.g:
    1: Make a bigoted comment towards a group.
    2: Someone calls you out on the bigoted comment.
    3: Cry foul and accuse people of political correctness and censorship, to try and make yourself look like the victim instead - make a big fuss about free speech and oppression.

[...] make the advantaged group look like they are the victims instead [...]
    It's called "reverse asymmetrical warfare":

Things not looking good for organized religion in the USA - confidence in it is continuing its long, slow downward slide:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183593/confidence-institutions-below-historical-norms.aspx

352409.png

<obligatory trollish 'yeah but 71% identify as christians and who are we to say they're not' post>

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What happened in 2002?

looksee wrote: »
    What happened in 2002?

Call me petty but I think it's 9/11 and America no longer felt as 'safe'.

looksee wrote: »
    What happened in 2002?

I (on the basis of zero internet research whatsoever) would suspect a series of catholic abuse revelations?

But, there again, I might be biased :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Relentlessly Gay!

http://www.queerty.com/widow-receives-nasty-note-over-her-relentlessly-gay-rainbow-yard-lights-20150618?utm_source=bb82&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=relentlesslygay&ts_pid=2
    When Julie Baker, a widow and mother of four from Baltimore, recently stepped out onto her front porch, she found an anonymous note taped to her door.
    “Your yard is becoming Relentlessly Gay!” the note read. “Myself and others in the neighborhood ask that you Tone It Down. This is a Christian area and there are Children. Keep it up and I will be Forced to call the Police on you! Your kind need to have Respect for GOD.”

It was signed, “A Concerned Home Owner.”
    Related: Restaurant Owner Receives Creepy Phone Calls and Letters After Flying Rainbow Flag
    The note referred to a set of rainbow-colored solar yard lamps Baker had set up in her garden. For the record, they aren’t illegal, so we’re not sure what this concerned home owner expects police to do about it.
    Rather than get angry, Baker took a page from Memories Pizza’s playbook and launched a GoFundMe page to fight back.
    “I need more rainbows,” she writes. “Many, many more rainbows. So I am starting this fundraiser so I can work to make my home even more ‘relentlessly gay.'”
    Baker says she wants to combat her neighbor’s homophobia “with whimsy and beauty and laughter and love, wrapped around my home, yard and family!”
    “If we go high enough,” she says, “I will see if I can get a rainbow roof! Because my invisible relentlessly gay rainbow dragon should live up there in style!”
    She set a fundraising goal of $5,000. So far, she’s raised more than $10,000 $15,000 $20,000 and counting. That’s gonna buy a ****-ton of rainbows.

• Advertisement

True what they said though, the urge to burst into song with 'Smalltown Boy' is almost irrestistible in the post-gaypocalypse era.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement