Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six Council of State members call for removal of religious oaths

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The issue came up a lot in the UK in the nineteenth century...
    It was eventually resolved with the passage of legislation allowing him to affirm, but one of the rulings which was handed down along the way was, if he had sworn, that would have been valid and binding.
    Ah right, so if we get this sorted out now, we are only 150 years behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dear young people of Ireland...
    Not the snappiest of videos, but their hearts are in the right place.
    Did that Spicer guy skull a few pints in Doheny and Nesbitts before starting to make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

recedite wrote: »
    Did that Spicer guy skull a few pints in Doheny and Nesbitts before starting to make it?
    thats not very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ah right, so if we get this sorted out now, we are only 150 years behind.
    Actually, no, we're ahead on points.

While the Irish head of state still has to take a theistic oath, the UK head of state has to take a denominational theistic oath, which is obviously even more objectionable and excludes a wider class of people.

And, while UK parliamentarians can choose either a theistic oath or a nontheistic affirmation, Irish parliamentarians don't make any oath or affirmation at all.

Is it just me, or do the rest of your readers also find it incredible that the Government is, on the one hand, advocating ‘equal rights’ in the marriage referendum, and on the other, promoting religious discrimination in the Presidential-age referendum?

The religious oath required of Presidents (and judges) is being extended to a new generation who might aspire to high office.

This is so clearly a violation of ‘equal rights’ that it is hard to see how anyone could propose both at the same time, let alone vote for both.

Unless, maybe, the left hand won’t know what the right is doing

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/presidents-religious-oath-a-violation-of-equal-rights-328267.html

is it going to make Ireland more or less equal, I would say more equal, CSCs disagrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Not the snappiest of videos, but their hearts are in the right place.

Haven't watched it, but Dick Spicer wouldn't be my folks favourite voice out of the Humanists. They joined the association years ago but left over the "loose cannon" elements, of which Spicer was most definitely one. "Losing the plot" were my Dad's words, as I recall.

so atheist ireland have hoped aboard this publicity no train, campaigning on what they wished were on the ballot rather then whats actually on it.

Advertisement