Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything you've watched on TV influenced your life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

I'll tell you one thing, if I ever want to get away from it all and 'find' myself in the arsehole of nowhere filming a porcupine's arse, I won't be uploading it to the biggest video sharing platform on the planet. Pretentious bollocks.

But you already live in Donegal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Yes. 'The Boy Whose Skin Fell Off'.

It's a documentary about Jonny Kennedy who suffered from EB. It's mostly remarkable as Jonny narrates much of the documentary himself, knowing he would soon die. Indeed, he arranges his own funeral. Had a profound effect on me at the time (ten years back now) and I still often think about his story and his struggle to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I do, and you won't find home video evidence of my exploits or lack thereof, I guarantee you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I do, and you won't find home video evidence of my exploits or lack thereof, I guarantee you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

The drink driving awareness ad with Fleetwood Mac.

'Shall I tell you about my life, they say I'm a man of the world'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Watched a Bear Grylls documentary where he did a stint in the French Foreign Legion. I was about 16 and it convinced me that it'd be a viable option. By the time I was 21, the reality of being a soldier didn't appeal to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mehaffey1 wrote: »

*flashbacks* AAAAGH!

That bloody ad. I still can't listen to that song without mentally having the shriek of tires skidding and the thud in the appropriate places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Saw this thing called 'Deliverance'.

It was about some guys who went into the wilderness and found simple living and genuine masculinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

David Attenborough's natural history documentaries growing up. Gave me a huge appreciation of our wonderful planet and the need to look after it, and instrumental in why I'm so involved in ecology and permaculture now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

"Supersize Me" by Morgan Spurlock. When I saw the damage McDonalds could do to your body, I said nope, that's it, no more McDonalds for me...its KFC all the way from now on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mehaffey1 wrote: »

I was pretty disappointed when I heard the full version of the song, that middle verse almost ruined it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Love the documentary AvB. Cabin building in Canada sounds great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

The original 'Rat and Pigeon' animation. Honestly, don't think there's a week that goes by that I don't think of it in some context. Genuinely influential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I watched a TV programme once about deliveries. I don't know why, apparently I have a weird need to freak myself out. They showed everything. I mean everything. For some reason, growing up I always thought I had to have children, I assumed that I would. I realised that I didn't have to at around age 12, But anyway I watched this thing that was the most disgusting, revolting, terrifying experience, that it pretty much cemented the decision that I definitely do not want children.

Seriously, I recommend not ever watching something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

After watching an episode of Friends, I moved to America and moved in with some very funny people and drank a lot of coffee in a nice coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A documentary on Paul Bach-y-Rita, who is the central figure in the field of neuroplasticity.

It was absolutely spellbinding stuff which completely opened my eyes to the capacity of the human brain to adapt, and has influenced my research and work in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A bit different: The time that Top Gear featured actual Scalextric Cars racing around what's left of the historical Brooklands race track. Nifty filming technique used with the model cars themselves. I'm in the process of doing the same thing myself, with a scalextric model car and a thumbcam, which is cheaper than the scalextric model.
    You can buy a thumbcam in a euro store for 20 euro if you look hard enough in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The most recent documentary on Glasnevin cemetery.
    The end of that was very much a sit up and say WTF type moment. That doesn't happen too often anymore because of the usual class of $hite that's on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Watched a Bear Grylls documentary where he did a stint in the French Foreign Legion. I was about 16 and it convinced me that it'd be a viable option. By the time I was 21, the reality of being a soldier didn't appeal to me anymore.

Haha yeah I remember one guy ringing the bell after only a few hours there! He couldn't even hack one night ffs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

watching the ballymena man fight the wolves in The Grey, it causes me to smirk when i go to ballymena when i see the tattooed thugs wannabee hard men outside the pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I watched a TV programme once about deliveries. I don't know why, apparently I have a weird need to freak myself out. They showed everything. I mean everything. For some reason, growing up I always thought I had to have children, I assumed that I would. I realised that I didn't have to at around age 12, But anyway I watched this thing that was the most disgusting, revolting, terrifying experience, that it pretty much cemented the decision that I definitely do not want children.

Seriously, I recommend not ever watching something like that.

I don't get it. How could a programme about FEDEX and UPS be so graphic it put you off children?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

heldel00 wrote: »
    The most recent documentary on Glasnevin cemetery.
    The end of that was very much a sit up and say WTF type moment. That doesn't happen too often anymore because of the usual class of $hite that's on the telly.

That was one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I had goosebumps at the end of it.

The documentary that Terry Pratchett did on assisted suicide was very thought provoking. To actually see someone calmly drinking off whatever it is that kills you , holding hands with his wife, and being gone in minutes, was one of the most surreal things I have ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

73Cat wrote: »
    To actually see someone calmly drinking off whatever it is that kills you , holding hands with his wife, and being gone in minutes, was one of the most surreal things I have ever watched.

Never seen that but I found the video footage of Lisa Lefteye Lopes's car accident to be like that, very surreal, as she is laughing, chatting and full of life and then a slight skid, scream and silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

73Cat wrote: »
    That was one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I had goosebumps at the end of it.

The documentary that Terry Pratchett did on assisted suicide was very thought provoking. To actually see someone calmly drinking off whatever it is that kills you , holding hands with his wife, and being gone in minutes, was one of the most surreal things I have ever watched.

http://www.rte.ie/player/es/show/10449958/

is that the one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

the_monkey wrote: »

The Glasnevin one i watched is called One Million Dubliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OiL RiG

I'd have to say the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan. It really reinforced for me my love of science and deep seated appreciation for being alive.

Still watch this clip every once in a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I spent my childhood on Nat Geo and the discovery Channel (back when they were good, none of this newfound "TURBO EXTREME MEGA DEATH GIGA SHARK ATTACK" crap.)

I now follow everything space related very closely. I do hate how my other halfs eyes glaze over when i try chat with her about it.

Advertisement