Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books that disappointed you

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Catcher n the Rye (an epidemically overrated book)
    Many college prospectus books

Yeah...I'm sure there are many more but at the moment I can't think of any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

fisgon wrote: »
    I don't think that Rabbit is exactly meant to be a sympathetic character. He is conceited, romantic, narcissistic, lazy, idealistic and ignorant. I always think of Homer Simpson when I read the Rabbit books. I don't think you have to like Rabbit to love the books.

Also, he does some much worse stuff in later novels, including
    sleeping with his daughter in law
    . At no stage is he held up as a role model, more of a very flawed American everyman.

I agree. Rabbit is a product of his generation, he is pretty much implacable in his views.
    Updike uses Angstrom as a cypher. He juxtaposes the changing mores and folkways of certain aspects of American society of the 1960's with the more prevailing conservative attitudes of the time.
    People who dismiss the Rabbit novels because they don't particularly like Rabbit are completely missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Donna Tartt - The Little Friend (her second novel after The Secret History).

To be fair, it is sumptuously written - clearly inspired greatly by To Kill a Mockingbird. For these two elements, I can sort of forgive it. But ultimately a disappointment - can't elaborate without spoiling.
    Damn it, it's just a beautifully writen book - such a shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

To kill a mockingbird...so much so i spore i'd never read another book...It thought me absolutely nothing about killing a mockingbird, but it did teach me not to judge a person by the colour of their skin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I can't believe people were disappointed by TP Kill a Mocking bird. It's a book I thought I would not like but it surpassed all my expectations! I really loved it.
    Stoner by John Williams. Won some award so my friend picked it for book club. I thought it was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I agree. Rabbit is a product of his generation, he is pretty much implacable in his views.
    Updike uses Angstrom as a cypher. He juxtaposes the changing mores and folkways of certain aspects of American society of the 1960's with the more prevailing conservative attitudes of the time.
    People who dismiss the Rabbit novels because they don't particularly like Rabbit are completely missing the point.

I think it's kind of patronising to accuse someone of missing the point just because they don't like something. I've read plenty of books where the protagonist is an awful person, and I can get on board with it. I understand what Updike was intending, and there are some great moments in it and fantastic writing. However this thread is all subjective and we bring on board our own outlook on the world when we read something.

I really don't care for like selfish and whiny people like Rabbit in real life, and for me Updike didn't draw me enough into his world for me to suspend that prejudice. For me. Doesn't mean I didn't get it. You like the book, I don't, and believe me I know it can feel harsh when someone trashes a book you love. I've had moments reading this thread where my heart sank to hear people badmouthing books I love.
    fisgon wrote: »
    I don't think that Rabbit is exactly meant to be a sympathetic character. He is conceited, romantic, narcissistic, lazy, idealistic and ignorant. I always think of Homer Simpson when I read the Rabbit books. I don't think you have to like Rabbit to love the books.

Also, he does some much worse stuff in later novels, including
    sleeping with his daughter in law
    . At no stage is he held up as a role model, more of a very flawed American everyman.

I prefer Homer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

To be fair, it is sumptuously written - clearly inspired greatly by To Kill a Mockingbird. For these two elements, I can sort of forgive it. But ultimately a disappointment - can't elaborate without spoiling.

Oh dear, I've just started this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The problem is though, when you write a near-perfect debut novel such as The Secret History, the much-awaited second novel is never going to live up to expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Oh dear, I've just started this...

Keep going! To emphasize the subjective nature of this thread, and of literature in general, I thought The Little Friend was far superior to The Secret History, which I did think was seriously overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SarahBM wrote: »
    I can't believe people were disappointed by TP Kill a Mocking bird. It's a book I thought I would not like but it surpassed all my expectations! I really loved it.
    Stoner by John Williams. Won some award so my friend picked it for book club. I thought it was crap.

I think the 'To Kill A Mockingbird' comment was a joke.

Also, I loved 'Stoner' ; p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I actually agree that The Little Friend is more well written than The Secret History. Overall, I enjoyed the experience of reading TLF than TSH (even though I really liked TSH too) except for... I'll say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The Lord of the Rings.

"Oh, ere, I'd love to be drinking ale in The Shire right now"

The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

"Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Absolute manure. Pure ignorance got me to the end because I wouldn't let it beat me! Tubridy absolutely raved about this one. Maybe that should have been an indicator of what was to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

I was looking for a book similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. Medieval fantasy, low magic. This book kept on popping up time and time again. Even the reviewers of one very professional looking book review site rated it higher than Lord of the Rings.

I thought this was an exaggeration but felt that it must be pretty good if they are going to make as controversial statement as that. I got the book and really regretted it. I got to just past halfway and couldn't take it anymore. I read five other books in the time it took me to read the second half of that one.

The main character was annoyingly perfect and the storyline just seemed to be going nowhere very slowly. I finished the book out eventually and never looked at the series or the author again.

A year and a half on, the massively positive reviews this book got absolutely baffle me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

IQ84 - 1000 pages of pish.

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    "Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Absolute manure. Pure ignorance got me to the end because I wouldn't let it beat me! Tubridy absolutely raved about this one. Maybe that should have been an indicator of what was to come!

Totally agree. V overrated. The key for me was that I couldn't buy that the 'donors' were so compliant and acquiescent in their 'destiny'. None of them tried to fight it, they seemed to have no survival instinct. It made the whole book impossible to take seriously.

Saipanne wrote: »
    The Lord of the Rings.

"Oh, ere, I'd love to be drinking ale in The Shire right now"

The end.

Spoiler alert! :-)

Advertisement