Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

95% of People are Sheep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

95% of people have tattoos: FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

95% of people are sheep as they will be sheepish enough to follow the research claiming this and believe it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say it's fairer to look at this research in terms of trends rather than actual facts.

It doesn't mean that 95% of people are *always* followers and 95% are *always* leaders.

It means that in general, you will find in any one group, that 5% of the group make the decisions and the other 95% choose their path based on those possible paths presented by the 5%.

In one situation, a person may very well be a follower but presented with another situation they will be a leader. This can be very much observed in business - when one person is comfortable and knowledgeable in the work group, they will make suggestions and counter other people's. When lifted out and placed in another completely unfamiliar group, they will likely just go with the consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

well I'm one of the 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

95% of sheep also think they're people. FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

seamus wrote: »
    It doesn't mean that 95% of people are *always* followers and 95% are *always* leaders.

Well, no, because then there'd be a population of 190% which would mean we'd be dealing with clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kmick wrote: »
    Put me in a room and tell me to walk around following the crowd I'll do it fine. Put a fire in the same room that threatens me and I'll be kicking and punching my way out. This study is an insult to humanity. That article is also so low on detail I dont believe its conclusions. Its like a bloody Sun article.

I thought the experiment was to see if people would automaticly follow, when they have no sense of direction.

For example, they told everybody to walk around the room randomly. So, no sense of direction, just do whatever. They found that if 5% were told to do something specific, the rest would follow.

If you told 95% of the room to do something specific and told the other 5% to go against the grain I don't think there would be any following.

This whole experiance and test would only apply in very specific situations, like the example given above. In a fire, if 95% did not know what to do and 5% started off in the wrong direction the rest would automaticly follow. Alternitively if the 5% knew the right route, they would lead the rest to safety.

I would have called the whole thing common sense, but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

If I don't like lamb does that mean I can't become a cannibal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is this really so surprising? People for the most part don't like to stand out from the crowd, in general terms....we all want to "fit in" to some extent, be it in what we do, where we go on a night out, what we wear, etc....obviously we all crave "individulaity" but not to the point where someone (or worse, a collection of someones) might point us out as being "different".
    I like to think of myself as someone independent of thought and in my actions, but if I'm perfectly honest there are things I'll do to "fit in" without even realising it....I suspect the majority of people are the same or similar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

It is just an average standard for a scientific article nowadays. Look at global warming and carbon output. No evidence and yet with enough propaganda everyone has accepted that.

Consensus Reailty, anyone?

Are you saying you dont believe in global warming?

Ok, on the sheep topic, yes i agree. the majority did act as sheep BUT 5% were given specific instruction to act as leaders. if no information was given would the results have been the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I have realised certain things like this, for instance in a group of friends there is like a 'pack leader' and they follow him/her.

When your walking along a narrow path with a person walking towards you, what determines who steps out of the way for the other??

Walk through town, and you will see that people walk in patterns, like as if theres a certain route you must walk?

Take out your phone in a public area, and you will see other people checking their phones.

People seem to respond the same on msn, i can basically guess what someone will respond.
    'whats up?'
    'Nothing much'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nearly 95% of peeps who read this thread choose not to post in it.

Mike.

Are you saying you dont believe in global warming?

I think their point was more on the link between carbon output and global warming/climate change, which in some people's minds is still a bit tenuous...the point being that even though n o link has been irrevocably proven that the masses are willing to take the word of those who say it's gospel and change their habits and lifestyle or pay more for goods because of a suggested link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

seamus wrote: »
    What road? I was talking in general terms...

Haha! And...

I am not a sheep, I am a free man! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The Five-Percent Nation came to a similar conclusion more than 40 years ago. Although their claim was that 85% of people were sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The remaining 5% of people choose to post on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hmmm, I kinda a gree with this, but only if Im part of that 5% ;)

But seriously, I'm not so sure it would be as high as 95%, maybe 70-80%, but that would just be looking at people at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Statistics can be used to prove anything - 95% of all people know that.
    Look at global warming and carbon output. No evidence and yet with enough propaganda everyone has accepted that.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I like sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,778 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Agree with this 100%. Ever watch a group of people at a pedestrian crossing, waiting to cross a busy road? You can be certain that as soon as one person puts a foot out to cross the road almost everyone will just blindly lurch forward too, without even a glance to see if the road is clear. There could be traffic zooming towards them but they just follow what someone else did.

Or, did you ever just look up at a building/ towards the sky randomly when e.g. in town. You can bet that loads of people will look up too!

Thats how I know I'm not a sheep. Anytime I cross the road with a group of people, I get to the other side and I turn around and everyone else is still on the other side looking at me like I just braved death or something.

• Advertisement

lol @ added poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In an emergency on board ship were people need to exit quickly into life rafts/boats stewards are trained to go to the various exit points to lead and enable passenger to escape .It is no good having 6 or 8 exit hatches if the majority of passengers all head for 1 2 or 3 exits, hence most people become sheep like when being giving instructions by somebody trained and in command of the situation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭spudster101

Tying to figure out weather my girlfriend is a sheep.
    Shes always follows the crowd like in fashion etc.

Dont like the thoughts of being called a sheep Sh**ger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Are you saying you dont believe in global warming?QUOTE]

I dont...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i was hoping the poll would be 95% to 5%, and was convinced someone would have ****ed it up had it gotten to that stage but no. Well done, i'm proud of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

people are sheep and sheep get slaughtered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

andrew wrote: »
    i was hoping the poll would be 95% to 5%, and was convinced someone would have ****ed it up had it gotten to that stage but no. Well done, i'm proud of boards.

Me too. I am also proud of boards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Gekko wrote: »
    people are sheep and sheep get slaughtered

That being said -
    just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Wertz wrote: »
    I think their point was more on the link between carbon output and global warming/climate change, which in some people's minds is still a bit tenuous...the point being that even though n o link has been irrevocably proven that the masses are willing to take the word of those who say it's gospel and change their habits and lifestyle or pay more for goods because of a suggested link.

well i dont think anyones managed to prove its not true either.

and id rather pay a few quid more a week and spend a few mins more turnin off the tv instead of putn it on standby, or throwing a few things into a differant bin on the off chance it is true!

if it is true ile b doing my bit to slow it down at least, if its not true ile hav only been very mildly inconveniencd!

simple risk assessment if you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

...volunteers were told to walk randomly around a large hall without talking to each other. A select few were then given more detailed instructions.
    There's something very problematic about this research. Ask me to walk randomly and I'll give up doing John Cleese funny walks after a minute or two and start walking either up and down the hall or around it, clockwise or anticlockwise. If one in twenty people is walking purposefully clockwise, I'll walk with them rather than crash into them repeatedly.
    Isn't this more a case of common sense prevailing? If there had been some advantage in not falling in with the 'select few' it would have been more interesting.

Advertisement