Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

95% of People are Sheep

Options
  • 22-02-2008 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

This is an interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/14/scisheep114.xml

According to our learned friend, 95% of people are sheep. Now the 95% do not realize this, indeed they think they are following their own paths. Hence we have a nation of followers who do not see themselves as such.

Interesting, confirms what I have long believed.

Do you agree? 0 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The team, led by Prof Jens Krause, conducted a series of experiments in which volunteers were told to walk randomly around a large hall without talking to each other. A select few were then given more detailed instructions.

The results published today show that it takes a minority of just 5 per cent of what they called "informed individuals" to influence the direction of a crowd of a minimum of 200 people. The remaining herd of 95 per cent follow without realising it.
    Best experiment ever. QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Archeron

Baaaah. (humbug)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jays don't tell the emos

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That discovery could have lethal implications when it comes to evacuating a building or ship in an emergency, when people would likely stick to the familiar evacuation route, even if slower than an alternative.
    Not an altogether ridiculous proposition. While the "new" route may be technically quicker, it's also unfamiliar, which is likely to make it slower than the familiar route. This may even be an evolutionary response to prefer comfortable routes over faster ones.

As an example, take a blind person and send them down a quicker but less familiar route, and time them versus the familiar route. The quicker route will come out slower.

Not a surprising finding either though. I know plenty of older people who'd rather drive an old, winding route through small streets and backroads instead of taking the more direct new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Everybody knows you're only different if you're emo anyway. Everyone else is just following the herd but each and every single emo is an individual and a kerrazzy free-thinker.

We just don't get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

More like 95% of people are stalkers and 5% are hot chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Agree with this 100%. Ever watch a group of people at a pedestrian crossing, waiting to cross a busy road? You can be certain that as soon as one person puts a foot out to cross the road almost everyone will just blindly lurch forward too, without even a glance to see if the road is clear. There could be traffic zooming towards them but they just follow what someone else did.

Or, did you ever just look up at a building/ towards the sky randomly when e.g. in town. You can bet that loads of people will look up too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

seamus wrote: »
    I know plenty of older people who'd rather drive an old, winding route through small streets and backroads instead of taking the more direct new road.

Is the new road tolled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This is an interesting article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/14/scisheep114.xml

According to our learned friend, 95% of people are sheep. Now the 95% do not realize this, indeed they think they are following their own paths. Hence we have a nation of followers who do not see themselves as such.

Interesting, confirms what I have long believed.

I knew ewe were going to post that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is the new road tolled?
    What road? I was talking in general terms...

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    I knew ewe were going to post that.

An exhibition of humour, a rare commodity these days.

seamus wrote: »
    What road? I was talking in general terms...

I know.

I was making the observation that the majority of new roads are tolled these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I agree that ppl are sheepazoids.

Ive seen this in practice at company meetings.. where staff wont speak up for themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Agree with this 100%. Ever watch a group of people at a pedestrian crossing, waiting to cross a busy road? You can be certain that as soon as one person puts a foot out to cross the road almost everyone will just blindly lurch forward too, without even a glance to see if the road is clear. There could be traffic zooming towards them but they just follow what someone else did.

i have a philosophy about road crossing... " it's illegal to run us all over". you run one person over, it's an accident, you run all us ****ers leggin it across the road over, and it's just plain murder.

also, as far as 95% of people being sheep goes... there's a huge difference between people following people in random things like traffic and wandering around a room, and making life decisions. though probably is a link,a nd i personally, would always opt for the route im more familiar with. i dislike change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Put me in a room and tell me to walk around following the crowd I'll do it fine. Put a fire in the same room that threatens me and I'll be kicking and punching my way out. This study is an insult to humanity. That article is also so low on detail I dont believe its conclusions. Its like a bloody Sun article.

kmick wrote: »
    That article is also so low on detail I dont believe its conclusions. Its like a bloody Sun article.

It is just an average standard for a scientific article nowadays. Look at global warming and carbon output. No evidence and yet with enough propaganda everyone has accepted that.

Consensus Reailty, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I concur. Completely.

Now what should I think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

According to our learned friend, 95% of people are sheep.
    Look out sheep! There are a few lads about...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Or, did you ever just look up at a building/ towards the sky randomly when e.g. in town. You can bet that loads of people will look up too!

Surely that doesn't make you a sheep - there might be something interesting going on up there. :confused:

Remember reading about some interesting experiments in this area back in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Why do most people follow the herd then?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The experiment is retarded.

You cannot apply a specific instruction in those circumstances. You need to just let people wander, see who takes up a leadership role and who follows automatically.

Prior instruction to any of the subjects is just fixing the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I agree with 95% of posters in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

agamemnon wrote: »
    I agree with 95% of posters in this thread.

+/-5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

The other 5% are randy farmhands.

You're either taking it or administering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

While this is a little short on details it's true to a certain extent. I wouldn't go as far as saying life decisions etc. are based on follow the leader but some things yeah.

But surely it common sense as well. Follow the lad who knows where he going. Ever go to a football match - everyone finds the stadium even if a lot of people haven't been there - they just follow the people who do know how to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Being a sheep is a baaaaaaad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

"You are all individuals"

"I'm not..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

wool-d someone like to explain this further?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

There's a fundamental flaw in presenting results like this. If you take that 5% and consider their direct influence, if they act as a single unit, the people around them if observant will notice that this 'block' of people seems to be acting in a single unit, and probably for a reason. Even if each person within the original 5% has a 1:1 influence, that's another 5%, growing the 'block' to 10% of the population. The 10% could then grow to 20%, which grows to 40%, 40% to 95% or whatever.

If the 'block' of people continues to act in an obviously harmonised way, the individuals outside the block would be silly to not join the group. Each individuals decision would have less % of being correct over a large group acting as one. The likelihood of the decision the block of people is making being incorrect reduces, the more people that join in and do the same.

If for example a crowd of people were escaping from a building that was about to explode and the crowd of people were faced with 3 different routes, if 80% of people seemed to be taking route A, unless you knew for a fact that one of the other ways was better, it'd be silly going route B or C just because you thought it might be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Did this 5% start doing their thing from the start or were people randomly walking about. If there is a certain number of people walking one direction then its usually easier to follow them around then randomly bump into people/ have to avoid them.

I do agree that a lot of people do follow other peoples lead, this "experiement" doesnt proove much imo.

Advertisement