Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America To Tighten Entry Rules.

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/news/article3374605.ece

From The Sunday TimesFebruary 17, 2008

America tightens entry rules
    Chris Haslam
    The US government is seeking to impose the strictest-ever security measures for transatlantic travellers. Under the scheme, armed guards of the US Federal Air Marshal Service would travel undercover on all transatlantic flights – not just those operated by US-based airlines – and passengers wishing to travel to the USA would face a minimum four-day wait for permission to fly, under strict new screening rules.

If Britain refuses to bow to these demands, the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) – which allows citizens in 27 countries, including the UK, to travel to the United States for tourism or business (with some exceptions), for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa – could be abolished.

Under the new rules, passengers would need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) before they could buy a plane ticket. Homeland Security’s Russ Knocke says: “Travellers will go to a website and submit personal data. I can’t say what that data will be at present, but if everything checks out, you’ll get an ETA number, which will be valid for up to two years.” As it would take at least four days to receive that number, short-notice trips such as urgent business meetings, flights of fancy and emergency travel would no longer be possible unless you were already registered.

So, would submitting to the process – in effect, an electronic visa application – mean we’d no longer face interrogation when we touched down? “Er, no,” Knocke says. “You’ll line up just as you do now. All the ETA means is that we’ll know more about you by the time you arrive, but there’s nothing stopping a bad guy entering false information and receiving an ETA. That’s why we will still need to check people as they arrive in the United States.”

Q&A: US immigration made easier
    The real reason for this bureaucratic intrusion is political, Knocke admits.

“There are a lot of folk in Congress who want the VWP abolished. This is one way we can persuade them we’ve made it more secure.”

American tourism bodies claim all is well. “Long queues at immigration, surly and suspicious officials, tricky scanning procedures and British travellers frightened off are all things of the past,” says the Visit USA association, a confederation of tour operators, airlines and hotel groups. “It is high time this urban myth was dispelled and a true picture allowed to emerge of how things really are for the vast majority of British visitors today.”

Things of the past? Please e-mail us your US immigration experiences, good or bad, to travel@sunday-times.co.uk

NEED TO KNOW: US ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

When does the Electronic Travel Authorisation start? Before the end of the year, according to the Department of Homeland Security. A “heavy awareness campaign” is promised.

Do I qualify for the Visa Waiver Program? Most British citizens visiting the USA for stays of less than 90 days can travel under the VWP. All you need is a machine-readable passport with not less than six months’ validity and a clean criminal record.

How do I know if my passport is machine-readable? Look at the personal information page. If there are two lines of letters, numbers and chevrons printed across the long edge, it’s machine-readable.

Can I still get in if I once got a speeding ticket? Travellers with minor traffic offences that did not result in an arrest can travel under the VWP visa-free, provided they are otherwise qualified

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

ffs They're such gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

marvellous.. and I thought the fingerprinting and constantly pissed off border guards were all they were going to throw at us for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thanks fir posting the article :)

I hope the same inconveniences are given forth to Americans entering Europe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

snyper wrote: »
    I hope the same inconveniences are given forth to Americans entering Europe too.
    Ask them 5 random general knowledge questions. Whoever doesn't answer that France is the capital of Europe is allowed entry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ask them 5 random general knowledge questions. Whoever doesn't answer that France is the capital of Europe is allowed entry

I think asking 5 random questions would be tough enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Getting there is hard enough without that. I hate the US immigration part of Dublin airport. Was on honeymoon and my wife tried to make one of them laugh....it did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

my wife tried to make one of them laugh....it did not work.
    Is your wife Deirdre O'Kane? Could explain it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Sean_K wrote: »
    ffs They're such gob****es

For deciding who can and cant come into their country?

Jesus ****ing christ, think before you post ffs. Im no fan of yanks but they have the right to bar everyone and anyone if they choose to do so.

Personally I dont care seeing as Ive no real intention of ever visiting the kip. In the 80s it was an escape for poverty stricken immigrants. Today its an experience for self hating Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Here here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Is your wife Deirdre O'Kane? Could explain it

ooh harsh :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Goddamn. Whatever happened to the three dates and you have penetrated border security rule they used to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Excellent, a rectal search on the way to surrendering my human rights at the will of the Patriot act.

Don't see myself going to the states this century unless they learn to take a little blowing up like the f*cking rest of the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe we should adopt a somewhat similar status instead of our current oneat the opposite end of the spectrum? "criminal past? On the run? lieing about who you are? No problem, we dont worry about such trivialities, over you come"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

It's hardly going to change anything. An undercover air marshal can only be good news... unless you are a terrorist, that is.

And a 4 day wait for special permission, and then only assuming that you do not pre-register, for flights that 9 times out of 10 you book months in advance? Gimme a break. Yiz would get mad at anything just because it's the Americans.

The punishment for not complying with these small issues? The visa waiver program, a huge FAVOUR to this country, will be abolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Stekelly wrote: »
    Maybe we should adopt a somewhat similar status instead of our current oneat the opposite end of the spectrum? "criminal past? On the run? lieing about who you are? No problem, we dont worry about such trivialities, over you come"
    That's what I was thinking when I read it. It'd be great to see such measures implemented here. It may seem "harsh" measures, but it's their country and they're letting in whoever they want, and stopping whoever they don't want which is great. We, on the other side of things, will let in anyone, absolutely anyone. Then when they're here they can do pretty much whatever the fck they like, as we're not deporting people at any sort of decent rate.

Besides, it's nothing major really. If you've intentions of going to the US in the next two years, just apply for the code now, you'll have it in 4 days and you'll be able to use it for the two years, then I presume get a new one. Not a huge hassle to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,776 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah now, I like it here. No need to act the bollocks. In fairness I have enough worry wondering if they're going to rip up my Student Visa without **** like this happening.

The paranoia is a bit much to be honest. Securing the borders, arming college students to the teeth. I'm waiting for it all to come crashing down like a Jenga tower - they just keep taking away everything good about the place and one day it will all come crashing down.

Overheal wrote: »
    they just keep taking away everything good about the place and one day it will all come crashing down.

But with these new measures, they're trying to prevent the bad coming to their country, which is good. Understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Phew! I thought this thread was about it being harder to get in to American young wans' knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You'd swear everyone already in America was as good as gold... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes, because all the terrorists are coming from *outside" the US, that's right :rolleyes:

For a nation which was started by immigrants, they have to be one of the most xenophobic of all the western nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Archeron

Won't somebody think of the terrorists????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

So now you need approval. With background checked you proceed to the US. You have all you biometric data taken and checked against their databases. If everything is "bang on" you have you data stored for eternity and you get access to the country.

I think I'll just stay where I am.

As for Americans getting the same treatment in Europe, I would not ask for this. Do you really want such restrictions?

I thought people would have had enough of "your papers, please", clearly this is not the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It used to be easy to fly to-and-from Brazil from the States, then the Bush administration put on heavy restrictions and identification requirements for Brazilians. What did the Brazilian's do? They copied this Bush nonsense, applying it only to US Americans traveling to Brazil, and no one else from other parts of the world.

When the Republican party is swept from presidential office year end, I would suspect that the Department of Homeland (In)security will lighten up and chill out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

It used to be easy to fly to-and-from Brazil from the States, then the Bush administration put on heavy restrictions and identification requirements for Brazilians. What did the Brazilian's do? They copied this Bush nonsense, applying it only to US Americans traveling to Brazil, and no one else from other parts of the world.

And how did this work out for them? Did it lessen the entry requirements for Brazilians to the U.S or did the gov'mint just say "That's nice lads but we don't really care, you're not getting in."?

I know Europe is a bit more powerful that Brazil but I don't see the E.U making entry requirements more strict having any impact on U.S entry requirements. It'd just be tit for tat bitchiness.

As for Americans getting the same treatment in Europe, I would not ask for this. Do you really want such restrictions?

I would LOVE to see detailed background checks on those immigrating here carried out, and subsequent prevention measures taken to ensure they don't come here should they not meet the criteria set out in an immigration policy. LOVE it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And the Americans had a conniption, "How dare the Brazilians do this!". I think the era of everyone bending over for the US administration is starting to come to a close. They're still a big country and a major trading partner for many countries, but the rise of Russia, China and the EU has severely weakened their position somewhat as "Leader of the Free World".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

People should just stop going there.

If you've seen one McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Ben & Jerry', Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc you've seen 'em all. Seriously, aside from a few stunning natural sites the towns and cities are franchised copies of each other.

What have they got that we need that we can't get in the fantastic cities in Europe?

"Land of the free, home of the brave"; becoming less free every day and the braves still live in reservations in the 21st century.

Thanks but no thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Popinjay wrote: »
    And how did this work out for them? Did it lessen the entry requirements for Brazilians to the U.S or did the gov'mint just say "That's nice lads but we don't really care, you're not getting in."?
    The Lizard People got all huffy when Brazil did tit-for-tat, but did not lighten up, so the poor relations between the USA and Brazil go worse thanks to King George II.

You have to realize that Bush has the diplomatic skills of a spoiled 3 year old, ready to throw a tantrum at the slightest provocation. Remember when he changed French fries to freedom fries when he didn't get support from the French for his Iraq War?

Hagar wrote: »
    If you've seen... Burger King...
    I could be mistaken, but methinks Burger King is owned by a holding company called Gen Met which is UK owned and headquartered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sorry that probably should be King Burger. I always get them mixed up.

Advertisement