Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal to undertake?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

most people dont know the whole of the rules of the road.
    It's also illegal to overtake if to do so would 'cause inconvenience'. I see many manouvres of this type every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Just to clarify, I was referring to motorcyclists who overtake on the left on ordinary single lane roads.

Fair enough dude... but on single lane roads?? How?! You mean on hard shoulders?
    Yes, and I also have a full bike license
    Good man. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Cathooo wrote:
    I'm a new driver on the roads, driving test on june 24th ahhhh!! Can I just clarify, if I'm on a dual carriageway in the slow lane and someone is in the fast lane but travelling slowly (as a lot of eejits seem to do) can I not legally go by them if theyre not stuck behind traffic??? or is just that i cant hop from the fast lane behind them, pass them, and hop back into the fast lane? (I can understand that being illegal though)
    OMG :eek: When I read posts like this its scares me the lack of driver knowledge/training on the roads! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Drax wrote:
    Fair enough dude... but on single lane roads?? How?! You mean on hard shoulders?
    Yup, I see it all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stark wrote:
    You're supposed to have read the RotR before you stepped into the driver's seat of a car for the first time.
    not just supposed,
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/provisional_driving_licence/?searchterm=provisional
    form D201 http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/motortax/motortaxforms/prodrivinglicenceapp.pdf
    At the very bottom you sign that you have a satisfactory knowledge of the rules of the road, which means you have accepted the warning about Section 115 of the road traffic act 1961 and "to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months or to both such fine and such imprisonment"
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

mackerski wrote:
    Do you have a driving licence? If so, how did you get it? :confused: Same question to laoisfan. Cathooo, about time you cracked your copy of the Rules of the Road out of the shrinkwrap. In it you'll (all) find not only the answer to the question posed but also the useful fact that there are no slow and fast lanes.

Yes I have a driving license. I never called anything a slow or fast lane. So instead of criticizing, how about answering the question yourself. I know the answer is in the book as does everyone.

How about posting your interpretation of it with respect to the situation asked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

enda1 wrote:
    I never called anything a slow or fast lane
    mackerski was directing that comment at Cathooo, not you.;)
    mackerski wrote:
    Do you have a driving licence? If so, how did you get it? Same question to laoisfan. Cathooo, about time you cracked your copy of the Rules of the Road out of the shrinkwrap. In it you'll (all) find not only the answer to the question posed but also the useful fact that there are no slow and fast lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Drax wrote:
    Yea and its a pity more car drivers dont know when to move back into the left hand lane to let us past when the opportunity arises. The amount of times I have come up behind someone who stay in the right hand lane out of either pure stubborness or not paying attention is staggering. People seem to think that if the gap between 2 vehicles in theleft lane is no less than half a mile they dont have to move in :mad: I will give them about 10 seconds followed by a flash of my lights before overtaking them on the left. Do you drive a bike? If you did, maybe you'd understand.

Why do you assume that this type of situation only inconveniences bikers? Many's the time I have found myself in the same position while driving a car. Yet you refer to "let us pass" as if you have more rights than anyone else on the road.

Of course failing to move back into the left lane after overtaking is contrary to the rules of the road and those who drive in that way are incompetent but two wrongs don't make a right.

Advertisement