Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Friday 24th February
    Swim
    I was supposed to meet up with Jackyback for a swim as i was down home but my battery died on my phone through the night so alarm never went off. I wke at 7:15 so was far too late. Headed for Navan instead and prayed the lane was ok. Happy to find two lanes, a fast and a slow. Two guys in the fast lane so i hopped into the "slow" lane. Nice pool actually as the sides are slightly lower than the water surface for a few inches which ,makes the wall lane usable. After some 50m des 1-4 on 60 (which came in on 47, 46, 42, 41) the plan called for one of my fav sets - 400sw, 4 x 100 band and buoy going down to 100sw, 100 B+B. Most B+B efforts were 01:40 - 01:45 and felt ok. Had to swap lanes then as a breast stroker joined as one of the other guys cleared from the "fast" lane. Soon enough though i was joined by two swimmers who werent up to much so fast 50m's on 50s got slightly disturbed. They were 39, next was ruined, 37, 39. On 50s is a hell of a lot harder then 60s! Ok swim and sorry JB for not appearing, again :o I was looking forward to some company!
    Time: 01:02:33, Distance: 3250m

Run
    Some speedwork then in the afternoon. Down home is very hilly! There isnt much flat ground so i ran for 15mins as part of the warmup to get some! I then had 5 x 800m on 02:45 with 02:15 recoveries. I worked out target pace and used it to gauge speed. This is my 5k pace from the race a while back and it felt good. I ran up and down the one piece of flatish ground around which probably had the locals wondering what was going on! The reps came out as follows:

Time Distance Elevation Gain Elevation Loss Avg Pace Avg HR Max HR
    02:46.5 0.8 3 4 03:28 147 158
    02:49.4 0.8 13 1 03:32 150 158
    02:45.8 0.8 2 2 03:27 152 166
    02:50.8 0.8 12 1 03:33 151 160
    02:44.4 0.8 0 4 03:26 151 158

Was happy enough with it.
    Time: 00:53:57, Ave Pace: 04:04/km, Ave HR 140, Distance: 13.27km

Saturday 25th February
    Plan was for 2 hours easy and 10min run easy off. I ruined that by having far too many drinks Friday night at Tommy Tiernan in Cootehill. I made a right arse of Saturday! Wasnt home til late enough either and no turo home with me made sure i missed it all! Not so good! No more nights out on the beer til after Mallorca now! I'll still head out as regularly as ever (once a month! if even) but just wont drink like that! Great gig though :D

Sunday 26th February
    Run
    So to get on with it again i had a 01:20 run with first hour being easy and last 20 in steady walking for 30s every 19:30. Was still down home which made for a hilly route. There aren't too many steep sections but plenty of long drags. Felt better than i expected and was surprised to go well enough. I never had to force anything. The 20mins steady at the end felt fine, easy infact. Had no problem with HR touching 150, 3rd 20 easy was very hilly as was a lot of the steady 20. A poor squirrl met its doom when i hopped into the ditch to avoid a car which saw him leap in the opposite direction! Wasnt a nice sight literally 1m in front of me!

Time: 01:21:24, Ave Pace: 04:16/km, Ave HR 141 (spiking again a little at the start), Distance: 19.07km

Monday 27th February
    Swim
    Finally i dragged my lazy ass out of bed for an early one! Plenty of drills to start with front sculls, mid sculls, fists and rock n' rolls and then 3 x 400m pull mod hard. The 400 pulls were 06:44, 06:52 and 07:01. Felt at times as though my hips were sinking but im not sure they actually were as my lower back still felt on top of the water. Think it was to do with putting downward pressure in the stroke.
    Time: 1:02:08, Distance: 2900m

Run
    Had hoped to get out at lunch for a short easy one but was too busy, had 10mins to scoff a sambo so had to switch the run to the evening. Was still hoping to make light but alas i didnt. Still though the park is deadly to run in. Kept it easy, HRM was spiking again but i know i did have one or two lapses which i did push it to low/mid steady. Pulled it back within a few seconds though. Legs were slightly tired and achey but not too bad. Still ran okish. Need new runners though! Bad enough wear on my current waveriders. I only copped it last week when cleaning them. They're dust! I havent felt any troubling niggles but i dont think they'd be long coming. Right runner is onto the white beneath the black sole in one spot!

Quick Review:
    Mallorca is only 11 weeks away now. It wont be long coming. All the work to date has been about getting to this final few phases in decent shape where the work really starts. I think im there.
    Swimming: While its frustrating at times, is still ok. I know there is massive room for improvement though but that will be slow coming.

Cycling: Im loving the power meter. Lst year i was basing training off HR and at times i really found ti hard to even stay in the "easy zone". It really frustrated me at times and id guess i was actually pushing far greater power than HR was telling me. Ive noticed this time around HR doesnt come around to the "zones" straight away and can take a good while to replicate those zones despite power being consistent. Im happy with the current FTP (322) and know i can puish on a lot from here as im really only traning in the new power zones a matter of weeks. Sub 02:28:00 in Mallorca would score me a top 50 (includes the pro's!) but should be doable. I'll be dialing in a power to ride at over the coming weeks and hopefully its enough. Right now id guess id be ok to go 250/55W for the duration but i hope to build on that.

Run: I think this is going well enough too. Theres some speed there without doing too much speed work yet and thats what this final few phases will start working on. I am still on the heavey side but ill not stress on that. I know with a taper i should be running sub 4min/km but ill need to be doing that to run as planned for the sub 01:24.

Over the coming weeks i need to get a few things in order:
    Nutrition: I'll be using last years plans with possibly only minor changes. I like the berry isogels and find the citrus ones just bearable. Ill also continue usng the High5 2:1 drink. Ill start using all long bikes now as testing grounds on the frequency, concentration and combination. Ive a heap of all which should see me through all of this. The DCM expo is great for cheap gels! I picked up 2 boxes of berry and 2 boxes of citrus for €15 each! Score!

Gear: I'll still be in the skins two piece suit. Its really comfy! I need new trainers for the race. Im not all that comfortable in the Mizuno Elixirs i have used. I find one of my toes gets sore for some strange reason despite it not touching the top so ill be out to B2R to Amphibian King hopefully this week. I also need a new saddle, well i need a new bike as my P2C is to small but i cant afford that yet. So for now a saddle is priority. Ive been onto B2R lads and they have me down as next on their one of their trial Adamo saddle. I'll pop a review up here when i get some time on it. Looking forward to that. If that doesnt go well i hope to trial the fizik arione tri saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Sounds like all is in order there! Good work all round.

You'll be doing Mallorca as Valentia is on so.

Any races up to then planned?

Agreed on power, I am in the market myself!

I can highly recommend the Fizik Arione Tri 2 saddle.
    Very comfortable I'm very happy with it got it just before Xmas.

Sportsman duathlon is up next, missed Naas cos of work! Really looking forward to it. Ive heard good things on the Airone Tri 2 alright. When speaking with the guy at B2R he mentioned he was going to try get a trial one of them too. Fingers crossed he has as id also love to try it out. Saddles are a very personal thing so id love to compare the two before settling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Solid training Eddie - I was just thinking that last time I saw you fell off your bike at DCT right in front of me! :-0

I can relate to the drinking - trying to stay high & dry myself till Lanzarote (although fat chance of that). Just got to think about the bigger picture I guess!

Yeah that was a race to forget. I got very lucky there!

I wont be staying completely dry but just no more nights on the lash! They do serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »

Swimming: While its frustrating at times, is still ok. I know there is massive room for improvement though but that will be slow coming.

A lurker on your blog, great read.

Has your swimming not gone to around 1:30 per 100m easy? With 100m PB around 1:15? 200s consistently < 3:00, 400m TT is pretty speedy too I thought.

Probably what a low 22 minute 1500 OW swimmer now? 28-29 for HIM distance? Sub 60 IM swim ?

Not being a water baby is there really that much scope to go an awful lot faster without a significant investment in the pool? Like a horrible amount?
    Cycling: Im loving the power meter. Lst year i was basing training off HR and at times i really found ti hard to even stay in the "easy zone". It really frustrated me at times and id guess i was actually pushing far greater power than HR was telling me. Ive noticed this time around HR doesnt come around to the "zones" straight away and can take a good while to replicate those zones despite power being consistent.

I found once you learnt this lesson of the relationship between HR and power it changes you even when just training with HR. Very hard to explain to someone but once you have seen it for a few months.......
    Gear: I'll still be in the skins two piece suit. Its really comfy! I need new trainers for the race. Im not all that comfortable in the Mizuno Elixirs i have used. I find one of my toes gets sore for some strange reason despite it not touching the top so ill be out to B2R to Amphibian King hopefully this week. I also need a new saddle, well i need a new bike as my P2C is to small but i cant afford that yet. So for now a saddle is priority. Ive been onto B2R lads and they have me down as next on their one of their trial Adamo saddle. I'll pop a review up here when i get some time on it. Looking forward to that. If that doesnt go well i hope to trial the fizik arione tri saddle.

A club mate has an Adamo. He had problems with lots of saddles and he got one from the states a while back. He loves it and it has changed his riding. (both senses of the word).

Another problem I know can contribute to saddles sores for some are overly hairy nads :)

tunney wrote: »
    A lurker on your blog, great read.

Has your swimming not gone to around 1:30 per 100m easy? With 100m PB around 1:15? 200s consistently < 3:00, 400m TT is pretty speedy too I thought.

Probably what a low 22 minute 1500 OW swimmer now? 28-29 for HIM distance? Sub 60 IM swim ?

Not being a water baby is there really that much scope to go an awful lot faster without a significant investment in the pool? Like a horrible amount?

I dont think im quite 01:30/100 at easy just yet. Well for a few 100's maybe but not over 19 of them. Im far better than ever before alright though and the HIM target should come off. Oh to be a water baby!
    I found once you learnt this lesson of the relationship between HR and power it changes you even when just training with HR. Very hard to explain to someone but once you have seen it for a few months.......
    Its a bloody revelation! Havent been frustrated with power at all yet. Well apart from 1 or 2 HoP ones but that was before learning about the P2M turbo issues and thuis i was probably working at a bigger power than it was telling me!
    A club mate has an Adamo. He had problems with lots of saddles and he got one from the states a while back. He loves it and it has changed his riding. (both senses of the word).

Another problem I know can contribute to saddles sores for some are overly hairy nads :)
    I cant wait to get my hands on it. Everything ive read thus far is fairly positive. Nothing ruins a long ride more than a burning feeling and agony when the bike runs over a pothole! Up to two hours im fine, anything beyond that and im sore!

330 - 340W Bike
    Very nice session! This week it was a progression from 3 x 10mins 330-340W to 3 x 15mins 330-340W and man it was sore!! Very sore. I really doubted myself during the second of the 3 x 15mins as i was hurting bad!! I put on some tour de france sufferest footage and it really helped for the first 7mins of rep 3. Must look for some more videos to get me through these! I died a little when the video finished (7/8 mins into rep 3), stopped for 20s or so to compose myself and go back to it. Couldnt push the 330-340 but kept plugging at it. Sore one! The 3 reps went as follows:
    1) 329W/153HR
    2) 331W/157HR
    3) 323W/155HR

Ive a saddle sore and it wasnt helping things as i was fairly sore there but i think it was more the mind wanting any excuse to stop! Very happy it didn't win

Time: 01:25:00, Ave Power 282W, Ave HR 142, Ave Cadance 88, Distance 50.27km, Ave speed 35.5km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ok swim and sorry JB for not appearing, again :o I was looking forward to some company!

No worry Ed sure you would have made me look slow in the same lane:)

Another cracking turbo, your churning out those tough sessions with some very good numbers. Keep er lit:)

Core/Rolling
    Did 20mins of core work and rolling at lunchtime. I hate hate hate core work but having had someone do up a short programme for me it gives an added incentive to do it. I did the following and felt ok:
    • 60s plank - having arms out as far as possible if able for it
    • 30s each side plank but rotating arm under and bringing it behind like this but i dont have a weight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Iz_MatlHk
    • Lying on back hands by side feet off ground 6 inches (the old GAA one!). 10s of that then 10 rotating feet clockwise and then 10 anticlockwise
    • 10 pushups bringing knee up side as you go down (5 each side),
    • 10 corkscrew pushups - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPZydhpd0I
    • 10 straight arm plank knee to opposite hand like this at 1min but im going slow and tapping knee with opposite hand but trying to bring leg as high up as is possible rather than hand going to meet it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkeiHQsNz4M
    Did that twice and then a nice bit of rolling with the foam roller and stick. Helped a good bit as i was fairly tight
    Time: 00:20:00

Wednesday 29th February
    Swim - Speed work!
    From memory this was the most amount of fast parts that ive ever done. 1500m worth across 2 x 200's, 6 x 100's and 10 x 50's. Coach wad there too which was good to see. He has something picked up which seems to be the cause of my right shoulder having pains lately. My legs felt fairly tired after the late bike last night but i dont feel as though i tailed off and kept a consistent effort for the hour. The 200's were on 04:15, 100's on 02:15 and 50s on 01:15 and came in as follows:
    200's 1) 02:50 2) 02:52
    100's 1) 01:24 2) 01:25 3) 01:25 4) 01:25 5) 01:26 6) 01:24
    50's 1) 39 2) 40 3) 39 4) 40 5) 39 6) 40 7) 39 8) 39 9) 40 10) 38
    I was happy enough with the session and i was very tired getting out!
    Time: 59:40, Distance 2700m

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

. My legs felt fairly tired after the late bike last night

I'm not surprised, that was a beast of a session. Fair play on holding those swim splits, 200s in particular are FAST

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Nice swimming for a guy from the lower east side. ;);)

Cheers Shotgun and DD. Was happy enough with it. What i didnt quite enjoy quite as much was:

Run
    Plan was for easy with some 6 x 20s fast/30s easy parts. I was wrecked for this. 5 hours sleep last night had me wrecked by lunchtime today. I didn't manage to get out at lunch after a meeting went into the break so managed to grab some time after work before college. Felt very tired, legs tired but not achey (rolling obviously did its work yesterday). HRM was going mental for the first 12mins but i was in low 130s area. Run felt fairly labored but they should come around with tomorrows easy spin. Couldnt push myself to the usual extent on the fast bits but pleasantly surprised to see they were quickish. Surprised the run actually came out still at 04:16/km ave as i felt as though i wasnt running that fast.
    Time: 00:42:43, Ave Pace: 04:16/km, Ave HR 143 (likely much lower), Distance: 10km

Thursday 1st March
    Bike
    I managed to get out at lunch for a 75min easy bike to spin out the legs. Felt great, far better than i expected given i was quite tired yesterday. The wind was on my back out along the strand to Sutton and i knew id have to face it back. Went from Sutton out towards Portmarnock. Beautiful day out! I found I was going beyond easy for very short periods (a few seconds, if even) here and there which all felt very comfortable. Legs were responding well to any accelerations from a standstill. Session flew by, I couldn't believe it was already done when I got back. I was surprised i wasn't going a lot slower into the wind on the way back as 35 - 40km/hr felt effortless on the way out.

Time: 01:13:26, Ave Power 228W, Ave HR 121, Ave Cadance 89, Distance 38.05km, Ave speed 31.1km/h

For some reason I’ve been getting butterflies in my stomach with excitement thinking about Mallorca the past few days! It dawned on me how close it is and i got very excited. Need to calm them or ill wear myself out! I have flights, bike on flight and as of tonight accommodation booked. Im aware of a great crowd from Galway Tri heading over which was great to hear as im travelling solo. Ive decided to stay at the same resort as them which is about 5k from race HQ and in a very quiet area. I’ve also booked it all inclusive as it was a very reasonable rate but it'll be strange to have to say no to the beer/wine for a few days! I’m also travelling out nice and early. Flying 9am Monday May 7th with race on May 12th. The hotel is also along the bike route so ill manage plenty of reconnaissance. So all that’s left is the tiny detail of training for it :D

Friday 2nd March
    Run
    Out into the wind at lunchtime for 6x(800m coming in on 2:45, 2:15 jogging recovery). Managed these ok last week so wasnt too concerned about pace, waht i was concerned about was the bloody wind! It was fairly strong heading aay from the city along the strand and i knew pace would suffer. set off hard into the wind for the first to see how id fare but i couldnt hold the effort and limped through it fairly far off the mark. The second one i did with the wind on my back which went fine, i also made sure i didnt set off too hard and tried to push it through. The third rep was back into the wind and it was har again! Bit quicker this time though which seems to suggest i get a bit better at them as i get a few under the belt. It was the same last week. The last three were done with the wind on the back and i pushed that little bit harder in the last! Decent effort and it took a little while til easy pace realigned back close to usual. The reps went as follows:
    Time Distance Avg Pace Avg HR Max HR
    03:03.8 0.8 03:50 159 168
    02:15.0 0.47 04:48 138 160
    02:44.7 0.8 03:26 155 161
    02:15.0 0.49 04:38 143 163
    02:55.3 0.8 03:39 159 164
    02:15.0 0.47 04:47 144 165
    02:44.5 0.8 03:26 155 166
    02:15.0 0.48 04:41 143 162
    02:46.6 0.8 03:28 153 161
    02:15.0 0.46 04:55 146 161
    02:42.6 0.8 03:23 153 162
    02:15.0 0.48 04:38 144 163
    Time: 00:55:41, Ave Pace: 04:03km/hr, Ave HR 146, Distance: 13.74km

Swim
    I wasnt feeling it in this session. Didnt swim all that well. It wasnt as though it was a particularly hard session with just 6x(150sw easy, 150B+B steady + 15s) and some fast 50s on 50. Seemed to have no "zip". I wasnt enjoying it to start but just got on with it and in the end i warmed a bit more to it. Didnt really perk up much though. 50s fast on 50 were 37, 38, 41, 41. Was dying by that last one! No pain in right shoulder but i didnt feel as though form was great
    Time 1:02:00, Distance 3050

Saturday 3rd March
    Long Bike
    Planned to hit the hills again. Didnt some tinkering to the bike, new bolts here and there to replace rusting ones and set out with no real route planned. Circled the city and headed to some nice climbs. Hit the first real one at about 29.3k and it rose from 110m to 337m by 33k. Its a lovely climb that i havent done in ages! Good surface and to make it harder i was going into the bloody wind! Stayed seated and drove n over 300W's with a fair bit over 400 and some short surges to 500 here and there. Great view of the city from the top of that. Had some more little climbs and then found another deadly climbing 320m over 5.2k. (Am i right in saying thats an average of 16% gradient?!). Had a fairly hairy descent then. Very very nearly came cropper at one very tight turn. Felt like the front wheel tire almost caved in! Had another near miss but this time at about 60km/hr! Backed off a bit after those scares! When i got back to the city i realised why i almost came a cropper! Slow puncture on front wheel! I was hoping to get to the park for an hour worth of laps. Aimed to ride 250-260 for the last 15mins to see how a run felt like off it. On entering the park i repaired puncture, or so i thought! Could not find where the hole was! On fixing for the second time i got lashed on and froze! When i got going i just did a few mins 270W and headed home, could not get warm at all! Frustrating but had had a good session up to that
    Time: 02:32:15, Ave Power 275W, Ave HR 128, Ave Cadance 80, Distance 73.97km, Ave speed 29.1km/hr, Elevation Gain 896m.

Transition Run
    I wasnt not in great humor to run back int the cold rain but i perked up and got on with it just as i stepped out. I felt as though i was running really really easy but HR rose and rse and hung around 145-150. I could not get it down but it felt so easy! Twas strange! Its the first run off ive done in a long time. Probably going to do more of these from here just to guage effort but RPE felt very easy yet HR was too high for my liking! Twas only a shrt 10mins but felt good.
    Time: 00:10:52, Ave Pace: 04:00/km, Ave HR 145, Distance: 2.71km

Sunday 4th March
    Run
    Plan was for 1 hour easy, 20 steady, 10 mod with the usual walk breaks every 19:30. I had breakfast just 50mins before setting out. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but everything felt fairly laboured. Legs didn’t feel heavy but i felt flat. The first two 20min easy reps felt fairly horrible. Warmed to it a bit from there, i was worried about what the steady and mod were going to feel like but fortunately, while i didn’t run all that much faster, i felt a bit better. I actually enjoyed the mod part. It had a fair amount of downhill as i ran into work but i felt good still on the flat parts and noticed speed around 15.5-16km/hr. I dont know if I ate enough or right after yesterday’s cycle. Im not sure i got enough in to fully recover. Legs didnt feel heavy but aerobically i wasn’t firing right for a lot of today’s session.
    Time: 01:27:54, Ave Pace: 04:18/km, Ave HR 143, Distance: 20.47km

• Advertisement

Went out to B2R today and collected the demo Adamo Time Trial saddle. I havent been on it yet but am really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow! Supposed to be a day off but ill just do 20-30mins real easy! While there i picked up some new Wave Riders. My old ones are far beyond their life expectancy! I've completely worn aware the sole and into the foam on where i land with my left foot! I also had a good look at some lighter trainers. Im not all that happy with my Elixirs and am looking around for something to use in races. I really liked the Saucony Grid Fastwitch 5's as they seem to be a mid-foot light trainer with a nice stiff sole! I ran for a bit in the car park and really liked them but the 12's were a bit small and they didn't have any larger sizes. It seems shoe manufacturers make the racier trainers smaller than the more supportive ones! My Elixirs seem a smaller 12 and the Wave Riders even though they're both Mizuno! Anyone have any experiences with the Sauconys or care to comment on the size thing?

Ed not sure if you tried them before but the Brooks ST racers are a great shoe and lightweight. I have 4 pairs on the go now and do all my long runs in them as well as shorter stuff with no issues and thats from wearing moon boots kayanos in the past:)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Anyone have any experiences with the Sauconys or care to comment on the size thing?

Yip, I found exactly the same thing with the Saucony Fastwitch - it felt like their sizing is marginally smaller. I convinced myself that there was nothing in it and wore them for a marathon - my toes were not happy with me at the end. I really should have went a 1/2 size up. Very nice shoe all the same.

I presume you were trying the Elixer 7s? I just got a pair. I was pretty happy with the 6s but the jury is still out on the 7s. Need to wear then a bit more.

Ed not sure if you tried them before but the Brooks ST racers are a great shoe and lightweight. I have 4 pairs on the go now and do all my long runs in them as well as shorter stuff with no issues and thats from wearing moon boots kayanos in the past:)

Had a quick look at them online, they seem a little less on the midfoot than the sauconys but ill try some on in town this week.
    dermCu wrote: »
    Yip, I found exactly the same thing with the Saucony Fastwitch - it felt like their sizing is marginally smaller. I convinced myself that there was nothing in it and wore them for a marathon - my toes were not happy with me at the end. I really should have went a 1/2 size up. Very nice shoe all the same.

I presume you were trying the Elixer 7s? I just got a pair. I was pretty happy with the 6s but the jury is still out on the 7s. Need to wear then a bit more.

Was 1/2 size enough for you? Walking around i felt ok but as soon as i went top the car park for a run the toes slightly curled! I was nearly thinking a full size more would be needed! Ive a hard enough time finding stores stocking UK12, what bloody chance will i have at getting a 13 to try on?!!!

I was on Elixir 5's. Ive done two HIM in them, 1 pair too small and event eh next size up just don't feel right. At times the toe in from my big toe gets a sharp jolting pain. I tried them again on Saturday for the 10min off the bike and they felt 100% though, no sharp pain! Weird. Ill wear them at this Sundays duathlon and decide then if im to change.

Thanks for the comments lads.

Monday 5th March
    Recovery Bike
    First spin with the Adamo Time Trial saddle. I was anxious to see how this saddle fits so i just did an extended commute home. I have a bad tendency to race out from standstills at traffic lights etc but when i got to the park i got everything in check and just wanted to roll along around 160-180Ws. It felt like nothing but i used it to keep a crisp cadence and see how the Adamo felt. It felt ok, strange enough feeling. A fair bit more pressure on the shoulders so over long distance i might need to get used to it. The 18k was too short to really know if it works but it felt comfortable enough. Legs felt good too. Rolled out for 15mins when i got back to make more use of the session.
    Time: 00:37:37, Ave Power 187W, Ave HR 109, Ave Cadance 78 (a lot of standstill time in traffic), Distance 18.18km, Ave speed 29km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Monday 5th March
    Recovery Bike
    First spin with the Adamo Time Trial saddle. I was anxious to see how this saddle fits so i just did an extended commute home. I have a bad tendency to race out from standstills at traffic lights etc but when i got to the park i got everything in check and just wanted to roll along around 160-180Ws. It felt like nothing but i used it to keep a crisp cadence and see how the Adamo felt. It felt ok, strange enough feeling. A fair bit more pressure on the shoulders so over long distance i might need to get used to it. The 18k was too short to really know if it works but it felt comfortable enough. Legs felt good too. Rolled out for 15mins when i got back to make more use of the session.
    Time: 00:37:37, Ave Power 187W, Ave HR 109, Ave Cadance 78 (a lot of standstill time in traffic), Distance 18.18km, Ave speed 29km/hr

Hey Bambatta,

Just wondering what you are hoping from this saddle? Better comfort? More power due to the design? The design intrigues me, I assume the design allows you extra leverage and therefore more power (WATTS). I'd say you would have to crank up the power/effort more, apply more force as it were to notice a difference. Maybe a short 10k TT would give you a better idea...or I could be way off :o

Its all about comfort for me. Ive been crippled with saddle sores here and there the past few years with the current saddle. I thought they were part and parcel of this game but supposedly not, so im trying to do something about it. Im fine to about 2/2.5hrs but beyond that i have been developing them despite only wearing bibs once, washing the region like no tomorrow and using savlon on anything that develops! I think the issue has effected my long spins as at times id almost be screaming with pain when id go over potholes/bumps. I actually found i was getting into a fairly aggressive position today on the Adamo which leads me to believe it will help the power too. IF it did great, but im mainly after something comfortable!

After an op last year (cough cough) things were trimmed (cough cough) I found things much more comfortable in the saddle and less aggravating so perhaps try it out:). Only short of going for a pejazzle at this stage:) you may need to google that:pac:

Looks like a class saddle in fairness, aint no fun with a sore bum!!

I'll have to make do with tackle in tact for now ;-) I think i know what a pejazzle is and i think it best to not google it here in work :)

Tuesday 6th March
    Swim
    Up bright and early for a short swim. Had company for it too which was great. Got some good advice and i tried to really focus on it. I wasnt paying too much attention to the clock but felt as though times were decent. Had some fs and fist drills and then 5 100's alt sw/p steady. Think we're getting to the bottom of the right shoulder. Im strill putting too much pressure on the arm and will be working on it. Bringing the hand in slightly seemed to help but itll take a little while to gauge if i have it right. Enjoyed the swim, couldnt believe the 45mins were already up! Felt like id only gotten in!
    Time: 00:45:00, Distance 2000m

Id a good chat with coach afterwards. Im really looking forward to Mallorca! Ive a few things to get right this time (health, equipment, body in general!) and i need to stop switching off the week or two before the event. Ive a tendency to feel like its done before i even get to the race. I need to follow it right through this year. Ive a time in mind but at the end of the day ill just race to my ability and whatever the time is the time is. If things go well i should be well inside that time but having never raced there before its only an estimate and course conditions will have an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Id a good chat with coach afterwards. Im really looking forward to Mallorca! Ive a few things to get right this time (health, equipment, body in general!) and i need to stop switching off the week or two before the event. Ive a tendency to feel like its done before i even get to the race. I need to follow it right through this year.

I think this is always a risk with a big long distance A goal (I would have said more so with inexperienced long distance athletes) - there's a period of heavy load and the focus becomes 'get through this to the taper and I'll be good' - taking the focus off the actual taper and race.

Advertisement