Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 anonymiss

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Can we say the story happened in Tomangoes?

Isn't that a band?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

anonymiss wrote: »
    Isn't that a band?
    A pub. Ohhhhh the stories from that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

*sigh* hmm, I see your point. What I meant is that it wasn't necessarily sex. So your reaction could be "pfft, nothing happened between them they're just friends". I'm basically looking for heresay/gossip snippets/opinions. The fact that everyone is imagining different events with different people here doesn't matter..

*sigh* But by mentioning rape in your OP you've already nullified the replies, because no matter the hearsay/gossip/opinions that are put forward they are all influenced by your mention of rape which in itself you may consider as the start of the gossip but it's not because to study real gossip in the way I think you're trying to you can't blatantly direct the conversation from the start if you want it to be totally random assumptions.
    again, I see what you mean. But what i meant is that.. you hear that your female friend was chatting with and went home with the guy. If it's your opinion that they just played scrabble, then that's valid too.

No actually, what you want is to compare the opinions of males and females about a night where you implied rape and see if the majority of male would dismiss it as a mutual agreement and if the majority of females would be outraged by the implication to somehow show the different attitudes of the sexes to how a night can turn out but any results are still nulified by your implication of rape because then all you did was direct the senario which is then no longer a hypothetical because you've already given the foundation of it being a rape.
    If she intentionally got him drunk and took advantage of him, then I think that'd mean he was raped. Where did I actually say that it's automatically the girl who got raped? I honestly did not mean to imply that. You've got a strong, thought out opinion on this which is great.

The fact that you implied rape, no matter wether it was on his part or hers, makes this pointless. It proves nothing now because you directed it to rape in the first place so each rumour will always be directed to rape because that was part of your senario and not an assumption anyone could come up with on their own.
    I appreciate the feedback, but you don't know my course and you don't know how this stuff is going to be used in the project. Not to brag, but I'm someone who generally gets good marks.

Not this time, your project is not in any way unbaised, you're directing it just to get the results you want, even all your replies still imply a rape by him, it's all "He said", "He did". you are soooo trying to direct this.

F minus minus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

So imagine that a single female friend of yours goes out one night... I want you to imagine exactly what she'd wear and how she'd behave. And she goes home with some guy-- or maybe an acquaintance, I'll leave it up to your imagination. You can totally make up details about how they met or what happened, just as long as you've created a specific story in your head.

Ok.
    I didn't entitle this thread "your opinions on rape" because I didn't want to skew anyones opinions either way. There (probably..) wasn't even planned out intent or a drug other than alcohol involved in this situation. I'll leave it up to you how to define that.
    So let's say you're finding out details about this fateful night that we just made up, what is your reaction? I'm looking for off-hand, guttural opinions.. like the first thing you think of.. be that "he's a bastard" or be it "oh come, on she was teasing him all night" or whatever.

What left-field did all that come out of?
    You appear to have omitted some necessary boundaries (we must be meant to assume they had sex and had different feelings about that afterwards).

You want opinions on a scenario you have crafted for them but you also want to imagine that they themselves dreamed up the scenario?
    No wonder people are confused.
    If this is for some "women's studies" thing I'm sure you know what you need to write (the "correct" scenarios and reactions to them).:)

Would you not be better off specifying the scenario (or scenarios - having more than one differing in controlled ways may be much more useful) exactly yourself and then trying to find out for people's "gut" reactions/opinions by means of a set of specific questions?

Doing such a thing here is pointless anyway because you know nothing about who is answering or why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Are you in tabloid journalist school?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Right so woman gets all dolled up. You know how they are. Meanwhile all the early bird potential rapists are in the bar. They are already drinking, and by the time woman straightens her hair, gets her clothes sorted, straightens her hair again, puts on her face, straightens her hair again, rings the taxi and straightens her hair, again, then goes to the bar, the potential rapists have about 10 pints in. Woman arrives in bar. Potential rapist 1 throws in the towel and chucks pea and carrotty goodness all over the floor. On seeing this potential rapist 2 decides this is a good plan, and follows suit. The two of them share a taxi back home. That leaves potential rapist 3. Without a wingman, he isn't feeling too awesome, but decides to give it a try. Woman refuses to speak to him. Woman refuses to drink the spiked drink he provides. Woman still refuses to speak to him. Potential rapist 3 is now a sad potential rapist. He then starts to feel woozy. Woman sees he is wobbling on his stool. She feels sorry and gives him a glass of water. He feels worse. She offers to walk him to his taxi. He feels worse and worse. She brings him back to her place and rapes him. She spiked his water.

Take that sexist Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

You mean there are actually times when surprise buttsecks should NOT be used?

With further pondering on the subject, I suppose it wouldn't really be surprise buttsecks if there were set times for it. I stand corrected.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Girls need to do more rapin'

You're letting the side down, ladies, after all the talk of equal rights etc over the years...

cowan wrote: »
    Right so woman gets all dolled up. You know how they are. Meanwhile all the early bird potential rapists are in the bar. They are already drinking, and by the time woman straightens her hair, gets her clothes sorted, straightens her hair again, puts on her face, straightens her hair again, rings the taxi and straightens her hair, again, then goes to the bar, the potential rapists have about 10 pints in. Woman arrives in bar. Potential rapist 1 throws in the towel and chucks pea and carrotty goodness all over the floor. On seeing this potential rapist 2 decides this is a good plan, and follows suit. The two of them share a taxi back home. That leaves potential rapist 3. Without a wingman, he isn't feeling too awesome, but decides to give it a try. Woman refuses to speak to him. Woman refuses to drink the spiked drink he provides. Woman still refuses to speak to him. Potential rapist 3 is now a sad potential rapist. He then starts to feel woozy. Woman sees he is wobbling on his stool. She feels sorry and gives him a glass of water. He feels worse. She offers to walk him to his taxi. He feels worse and worse. She brings him back to her place and rapes him. She spiked his water.

Take that sexist Ireland.

haha, I love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

She's a tramp, she was wearing a short skirt. Deserved it if you ask me. In fact I hope she gets raped again.

• Advertisement

Kazobel wrote: »
    F minus minus

how about I tell you what mark I get for it?

You're making it sound like i'm trying to intentionally skew the answers to support my own argument so that I can quote you in my work.

That is not true. I have no motivation to do so. I am not seeking quotes to support an argument. I was simply seeking snippets I could quote.

I concede that I may not have presented the question in the best way, but it was not on purpose.
    simu wrote: »
    Are you in tabloid journalist school?

um, no :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A guy meets a girl in a bar. They hit it off over a few drinks. He suggests retiring to his place for some extra drinking. They head home in the taxi and upon reaching the house he quickly whisks her upstairs.

He starts to undress and the girl says "I need a favour?" The guy asks what and the girl replies "…Uh I need about tree-fitty."

Tree-fitty. Well, it was about that time that the guy notices that girl was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era. The guy said, "Dammit monster! Get out of my room! I ain't giving you no tree-fitty!." It said, "how about just two-fitty?" The guy replied, "Oh, now it's only two-fitty!! What?! Is there a sale on Loch Ness munchies or something?!"

God damn Loch Ness monster!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A guy meets a girl in a bar. They hit it off over a few drinks. He suggests retiring to his place for some extra drinking. They head home in the taxi and upon reaching the house he quickly whisks her upstairs.

He starts to undress and the girl says "I need a favour?" The guy asks what and the girl replies "…Uh I need about tree-fitty."

Tree-fitty. Well, it was about that time that the guy notices that girl was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era. The guy said, "Dammit monster! Get out of my room! I ain't giving you no tree-fitty!." It said, "how about just two-fitty?" The guy replied, "Oh, now it's only two-fitty!! What?! Is there a sale on Loch Ness munchies or something?!"

I gave him a dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

...I'm speechless in both horror and awe.

Good show, sir!

Advertisement