Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your opinions

Options
  • 09-05-2008 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Background: ok so i'm doing a college project and I need to quote a few snippets of opinions on this. Instead of making them up (which would be allowed in the context of the project) I thought it'd be much more interesting to really ask people.

So imagine that a single female friend of yours goes out one night... I want you to imagine exactly what she'd wear and how she'd behave. And she goes home with some guy-- or maybe an acquaintance, I'll leave it up to your imagination. You can totally make up details about how they met or what happened, just as long as you've created a specific story in your head.

I didn't entitle this thread "your opinions on rape" because I didn't want to skew anyones opinions either way. There (probably..) wasn't even planned out intent or a drug other than alcohol involved in this situation. I'll leave it up to you how to define that.

So let's say you're finding out details about this fateful night that we just made up, what is your reaction? I'm looking for off-hand, guttural opinions.. like the first thing you think of.. be that "he's a bastard" or be it "oh come, on she was teasing him all night" or whatever.

Hope that's within the rules. I know sex/sexuality isn't allowed on boards but I don't think this falls within that realm.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have never been so confused by a thread since i went into the programming forum!!! :confused:

so somebody had sex, but you dont want to suggest it was rape, but we can make up our own story, so they may not have had sex?

Sex is allowed on boards, as long as you dont have it at a venue promoted by michael collins dwyer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In Soviet Russia, woman rape you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It is a difficult one to call. It is even more difficult to prove in court hence the low conviction rate and even lower reporting rate of those who allege they have been raped. I say 'alleged' 'cos it has been known for a man to be falsely accused even if it is rare.

The factor in most rapes is alcohol. So many people, male and female, are putting themselves at risk through excess alcohol which is widely known to reduce inhibitions and also reduce good choice making. All a person has to do is sit outside a niteclub on a saturday night and you'll see what I mean.

Here is my quote that I have been saying for years "The worst thing a man can do to a woman is rape her, the worst thing a woman can do to a man is falsely accuse him of rape"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It was surprise sex, and everyone love surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I'm so over that joke :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I have no idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

faceman wrote: »
    I have never been so confused by a thread since i went into the programming forum!!! :confused:

so somebody had sex, but you dont want to suggest it was rape, but we can make up our own story, so they may not have had sex?

Sex is allowed on boards, as long as you dont have it at a venue promoted by michael collins dwyer
    im so freaking confused by the op...so confused.:confused::confused::confused:
    BJC wrote: »
    I'm so over that joke
    in soviet russia, joke is over you. *gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If they wen't home together I'd probably think they fcuked as she looked pretty horny and wasn't wearing any tights....

Doubt it was rape....she'd kick and scream like a mule.....that fella would be black and blue if he forced her into it......she's probably making it up....there's something else going on that we don't know about......

Man that's a dumb ass question....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

anonymiss wrote: »
    Background: ok so i'm doing a college project and I need to quote a few snippets of opinions on this. Instead of making them up (which would be allowed in the context of the project) I thought it'd be much more interesting to really ask people.

So imagine that a single female friend of yours goes out one night... I want you to imagine exactly what she'd wear and how she'd behave. And she goes home with some guy-- or maybe an acquaintance, I'll leave it up to your imagination. You can totally make up details about how they met or what happened, just as long as you've created a specific story in your head.

I didn't entitle this thread "your opinions on rape" because I didn't want to skew anyones opinions either way. There (probably..) wasn't even planned out intent or a drug other than alcohol involved in this situation. I'll leave it up to you how to define that.
    So let's say you're finding out details about this fateful night that we just made up, what is your reaction? I'm looking for off-hand, guttural opinions.. like the first thing you think of.. be that "he's a bastard" or be it "oh come, on she was teasing him all night" or whatever.

Hope that's within the rules. I know sex/sexuality isn't allowed on boards but I don't think this falls within that realm.
    Thanks!

By saying that you actually did skew opinions because you're asking everyone to make up the situation but implying it's rape either way, you're first two paragraphs don't even imply sex, as you say they could just be acquaintances so who's to say the even had sex? girls and guys can be non-sexual friends too, you're third paragraph just presumes there was a rape. The only details of this "fateful night" is two people went home together after a night out, shock horror because it's not like thats ever happened before in the whole of human existance, for all we know the could have played scrabble but you want everyone to assume rape, thats not a project, that's a stereotype. Since we can make up the story maybe she got him drunk and used him just to get pregnant because he has a good job and would be financial security? or maybe he's well off and she's looking for an easy payoff, all those senarios happen too but to assume it's automaticaly a guy raping a girl if they go home together is a joke. For a college project that's a pretty dumb senario and in my opinion wouldn't be worth even an F minus and you'd only get that if you had good punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Oh wow, my head hurts from reading that...

I'd be outraged I think, no wait, I'd be happy for the new couple and would hope to be invited to the wedding.

Does that help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In my story, I couldn't get past the bit where I had to imagine what she was wearing.

Couldn't think up any clothes at all.

sorry:(

All the guys in the bar liked the naked chick though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I don't know whats going on either. I will simply say that I would be pissed off she didn't go home with me. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Rapists:

STOP.
    THINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

The OP was asking a simple question. No need for surprise buttsecks tbh. Although, I must admit, horses for courses of course. But that's no way to be courting a lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nummnutts wrote: »
    The OP was asking a simple question. No need for surprise buttsecks tbh. Although, I must admit, horses for courses of course. But that's no way to be courting a lady.

You mean there are actually times when surprise buttsecks should NOT be used? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

We need clinical trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say I liked OPs user name more than post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I'll get mah coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can we say the story happened in Tomangoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

After heartily consuming several beverages, the jolly duo return home to continue the already enjoyable night.
    The taxi driver keeps to himself as they chat in the background over some
    suitable tunes playing on the radio. All is taken care of.
    They walk up the softly lit driveway and arive at the door. Both of them knowing where this night will lead them.
    As the key slides in the lock, there's some sweet rustling of birds in the trees.
    They turn to witness the beautiful natural moment together while several disguised men pounce from the bushes, forcing sweet vapours down their throats. ...darkness surrounded...

A good night for suprises and a sad sunrise for asses.

Thread: F-

AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Do Ryanair fly there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

is she trying to get us to do her homework???

is it the whole a girl's drunk but the guy isn't and they have sex is he taking advantage sort of arguement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 anonymiss

faceman wrote: »

well, by definition, sex with someone who is drunk and so is not able to give consent IS rape. So yes it is rape. But I didn't want to say it that flatly. First of all because people know they're supposed to say "nooo rape is bad.", and I didn't want to put all the comments in that corner. And secondly because it is only hearsay; there may have been no sex at all.

wahlrab wrote: »
    is she trying to get us to do her homework???

is it the whole a girl's drunk but the guy isn't and they have sex is he taking advantage sort of arguement

well, my homework involves getting peoples opinions. It would've been passable, but still kind of lame if I made them up. I can't be all points of view at the same time.

it all depends on the scenario. It could be that, yes. So, the gossip could be "he said he was drunk but he looked sober to me!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

anonymiss wrote: »
    well, my homework involves getting peoples opinions. It would've been passable, but still kind of lame if I made them up. I can't be all points of view at the same time.

it all depends on the scenario. It could be that, yes. So, the gossip could be "he said he was drunk but he looked sober to me!".

So what if he is sober give the guy a break he doesn't have to get drunk whats with all the this peer pressure

Kazobel wrote: »
    By saying that you actually did skew opinions because you're asking everyone to make up the situation but implying it's rape either way, you're first two paragraphs don't even imply sex, as you say they could just be acquaintances so who's to say the even had sex? girls and guys can be non-sexual friends too, you're third paragraph just presumes there was a rape.

*sigh* hmm, I see your point. What I meant is that it wasn't necessarily sex. So your reaction could be "pfft, nothing happened between them they're just friends". I'm basically looking for heresay/gossip snippets/opinions. The fact that everyone is imagining different events with different people here doesn't matter.
    The only details of this "fateful night" is two people went home together after a night out, shock horror because it's not like thats ever happened before in the whole of human existance, for all we know the could have played scrabble but you want everyone to assume rape, thats not a project, that's a stereotype.

again, I see what you mean. But what i meant is that.. you hear that your female friend was chatting with and went home with the guy. If it's your opinion that they just played scrabble, then that's valid too.
    Since we can make up the story maybe she got him drunk and used him just to get pregnant because he has a good job and would be financial security? or maybe he's well off and she's looking for an easy payoff, all those senarios happen too but to assume it's automaticaly a guy raping a girl if they go home together is a joke. For a college project that's a pretty dumb senario and in my opinion wouldn't be worth even an F minus and you'd only get that if you had good punctuation.

If she intentionally got him drunk and took advantage of him, then I think that'd mean he was raped. Where did I actually say that it's automatically the girl who got raped? I honestly did not mean to imply that. You've got a strong, thought out opinion on this which is great.

I appreciate the feedback, but you don't know my course and you don't know how this stuff is going to be used in the project. Not to brag, but I'm someone who generally gets good marks.

If they wen't home together I'd probably think they fcuked as she looked pretty horny and wasn't wearing any tights....

Doubt it was rape....she'd kick and scream like a mule.....that fella would be black and blue if he forced her into it......she's probably making it up....there's something else going on that we don't know about......

A++ :) thanks!

biko wrote: »
    Must say I liked OPs user name more than post

um.. thanks?

• Advertisement

18AD wrote: »
    After heartily consuming several beverages, the jolly duo return home to continue the already enjoyable night.....

I'm not sure if that was disturbing or funny :)

Advertisement