Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Anyone Find This 19th Century Style Count a Tad Embarrassing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lucifer_666

Did I hear properly and that some constituencies may end going to court to get their results :eek::eek: and this is democracy? this is the great Irish electoral system that's better than other countries like the Uk?....it's a laughing stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

This thread deserves a poll.

Send your responses to:

The Ballot Box
    c/o Boards.ie
    The Internet
    Ireland

Results will be counted and broadcast within the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Respublica

I know the first past the post system that most country's have is a lot easier to count.
    Yes we do have a Proportional Representation single transferable vote multi seat constituencies whereas most other countries have first past the post single seat constituencies.

This is not correct. Most democratic nations have moved away from the plurality system (aka FPTP) and use some form or other of proportional representation.

It is only really common in former British colonies. Although admittedly the plurality system remains in use in two extremely populous nations: India and the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I like the drama of the drawn out manual count. But looking at news of this count flash up on CNN earlier this evening, I did cringe a bit.

It's open. Nothing to cringe about.

A bit like a Dutch person cringing over pictures of children in The Netherlands cycling to school rather than arriving in the back of a car.

The main problem with lack of electronic voting is it means there is a flaw in the Proportional Representation System in the distribution of surpluses.
    This is a serious flaw. But you don't need electronic voting to fix it. In Northern Ireland and Scotland they have a hand count but a much better method of transfers. We just haven't fixed the problem due to laziness.

There are however some further improvements to our voting system that actually would require electronic counting, such as the Meek method of transfers used in New Zealand. We would also save a lot of money by getting rid of the manual count.
    The ideal first move would be to an electronic counting system using the current paper votes where they are scanned and counted. That would also solve the anomaly where surplus votes are randomly distributed.
    I didn't think electronic voting meant actually voting electronically.
    Surely we could have filled out the vote sheets as we did this time ,but computers read the papers just like mail centres sort out postal envelopes?
    Exactly. We should use paper voting but electronic counting. Then the system would be protected from fraud by the paper trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Respublica wrote: »

[...] We would also save a lot of money by getting rid of the manual count.

[...] We should use paper voting but electronic counting. Then the system would be protected from fraud by the paper trail.

If the paper ballots are present, what's to stop a candidate who is losing from demanding a manual verification of the ballots?

If candidates cannot demand such a verification, then we have to trust that the optical scanners and counting hardware/software haven't been tampered with, so having the paper trail doesn't really help.

If candidates can demand such a verification, isn't it likely that the losing candidate will always demand such, which means that we have to do the manual count anyway?

If the paper ballots are present, what's to stop a candidate who is losing from demanding a manual verification of the ballots?

If candidates cannot demand such a verification, then we have to trust that the optical scanners and counting hardware/software haven't been tampered with, so having the paper trail doesn't really help.

If candidates can demand such a verification, isn't it likely that the losing candidate will always demand such, which means that we have to do the manual count anyway?
    The best method would be to publish the content of every ballot paper online. Then anyone who wanted to could use their own software to verify the outcome of the election. I think it should be possible for tallymen and other observers present in the count centre to confirm that what's published online is accurate.

I'm not necessarily advocating optical scanners. What I consider most important is that the count is by computer, so that more advanced variants of PR-STV become practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

MonkeyDoo wrote: »
    Why? To impress people on SKY/CNN with 'modern' gadgetary?

I don't want to be pressing buttons that snot infected voters have touched!

What's there to stop people putting a big snot over a particular politicians button!

Or an email going around on election day saying supporters will put a poison like sarin on all the FF buttons.

Or the 18year old putting super glue on a button, with an old man left with a stuck finger with everyone there to see who he voted for..

Cop on man this is Ireland...were a bunch of messers!

Paper and pencil is most secure! Electronic is crap idea!

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I've enjoyed watching/listening to it for the last two days, but any longer than that is a bit much I think. Especially this Wicklow nonsense - it'll probably be carrying over into next week! :rolleyes: It'd be perfect if everything could have been finished by tonight. It'll just be tiring during the week.

Advertisement