Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore legs DURING spinning class?

Options
  • 08-09-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've started spinning classes recently. Tried it before last year. I'm not exactly 'fit' but I'm not a couch potato either (some fitness classes during the week).

I've read multiple stories online about people with sore legs the day after spinning. To be honest, mine are a little sore, but not too bad.

However, about ten minutes into the class, I get terrible pains in both quads. My glutes and calves are fine though. The problem is, I'm not really tired or out of breath at this point, and would like to give it more effort. But the pain in my quads is terrible and makes me really hate it! I have to stand up (when everyone else is still sitting!) so I can straighten my legs and relieve the pain!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my thought process during spinning :D
    00 mins *this will be good for me
    01 mins *I hate that music and it's too loud
    05 mins *jesus this saddle is sore, I must remember to buy a cushion
    10 mins *oh god the pain in my quads
    15 mins *i'm never spinning again
    20 mins *the pain - I have to stand up for a second, glad I'm at the back
    25 mins *please god let this be the last sprint
    30 mins *hill climbs - good I can straighten my legs now
    35 mins *only 5 minutes of hard work left, your last spinning class ever
    40 mins *hooray the warm down! and relax...
    45 mins *that wasn't too bad, think I got a good workout
    50 mins *might try it again next week, was I supposed to buy something for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Are you sure you have the bike set up correctly? If the saddle is too low or two high is might cause discomfort. Also you may be cycling at too high a gear - this is harder on your muscles - try a lower gear and spinning a bit faster and see if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The saddle is probably set too low. That means the quads end up working harder.

Stand next to the bike and set the saddle so that it's at the height of your hipbone. That's a decent rule of thumb. You're looking to have a slightly bent knee when your foot is parallel to the ground when you pedal.

Yea, it's extremely important to make sure that the bike you're on is set up for you. Spend some time beforehand getting it ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I started spinning 2 weeks ago, am enjoying it.

After the first 2 classes I was saddle sore mostly, but have to say, my bike was set up wrong until 3rd class, the instructor helped set it up, a good warm up and cool down makes sure I don't get sore since.

I am quite unfit but am loving it for now, check the bike and run through with the instructor before the next class,

And enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Are your quads tight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement