Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yacht in Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 30-10-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭

Theres two yachts tied up in Grand Canal Dock on the same side as Milano. They are inaccesible from land as they are behind old warehouses on the waterside. Im interested in one of the boats which has a faded blue hull and no rig which looks like an old tonner. Anyone know what the boat is or was called? There was an old blue DB tonner in poolbeg (may still be there) called Deja Blue which it maybe but id be more then certain it isnt and the only two other blue tonners i can remember are either to dark or not in the country anymore

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It might be worth asking here http://www.iwai.ie/forum/list.php?1 They have a Dublin branch that should know, or if you like I could post it for you if you get no luck here.

I take it's not this one :Dhttp://www.superyachttimes.com/sale/details/1544

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »

The day i start looking for stink pots someone please shoot me slap me hard a few times and make me see sense again

Will give iwai a try. Its more out of curiosity for now ad i think it may be bigger then what im looking for

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stick up a photo of it, I know a few boats hiding down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

I've seen that too, would like to know myself ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

A photo would help alright.
    Here's a thread about DB's and it mentions the Dublin DB's. http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=78559
    Are you interested in the DB or the Tonner without the rig? Don't touch an old boat like that without a rig unless you're getting it for free. The rig will cost a fortune. You'd buy a decent half tonner for the price of the new rig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's not this one is it.:eek:

8200741272_c55b950575_o_zps9737e4f2.jpg

It's not this one is it.:eek:

8200741272_c55b950575_o_zps9737e4f2.jpg

defo not. looking at that photo its much further down to the right where theres offices or studios on the waterside. ive only seen it from the bridge crossing over the canal at pearse st. you cant get access down to it as its right behind the studios/offices. I,ll try get a shot from the bridge or on charlotte quay at the weekend

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I saw this on Donedeal and I remembered that this DB was discussed here.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/view/8037141
    36 ft DB2 Yacht

Thats her had a feeling she was a DB. Saw she,d been moved from where I originally saw her yesterday. I think that was Deja Blue. Sister ship Decibel is up in Poolbeg and another modernised version Red Rhum in Kingstown. Unfortunately the 3/4 tons havent had a revival yet that could get her back in tip top shape. €3500 is a lot of money for that in fact Id go as far to say its a rip off. Id make an offer of a lot less but unfortuantely Id have no where to keep it and (dont think the OH be happy about a 3rd boat :( ) Mast for that 2nd hand will cost at least €500 (if any one here buys here I know where there could be a mast) plus paint job on top sides and deck and god only knows what the hull integrity is like now . A sad and sorry site, I love the old tonners and seeing what has been done with the 1/4s & 1/2s is fantastic.

Heres Swuzzlebubble a 1/2 ton that had a great resurrection (some of the older posters may remember her from her days in Dublin).

http://rbsailing.blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/swuzzlebubble-transformation.html

neris wrote: »
    Thats her had a feeling she was a DB. Saw she,d been moved from where I originally saw her yesterday. I think that was Deja Blue. Sister ship Decibel is up in Poolbeg and another modernised version Red Rhum in Kingstown. Unfortunately the 3/4 tons havent had a revival yet that could get her back in tip top shape. €3500 is a lot of money for that in fact Id go as far to say its a rip off. Id make an offer of a lot less but unfortuantely Id have no where to keep it and (dont think the OH be happy about a 3rd boat :( ) Mast for that 2nd hand will cost at least €500 (if any one here buys here I know where there could be a mast) plus paint job on top sides and deck and god only knows what the hull integrity is like now . A sad and sorry site, I love the old tonners and seeing what has been done with the 1/4s & 1/2s is fantastic.

Heres Swuzzlebubble a 1/2 ton that had a great resurrection (some of the older posters may remember her from her days in Dublin).

:D10805726_4740403404513_7552138077529501037_n_zps3354ce6b.jpg

• Advertisement

:D10805726_4740403404513_7552138077529501037_n_zps3354ce6b.jpg

Thats great but............ em why does my wife have your phone number??

Thats great but............ em why does my wife have your phone number??

All wives and some husbands have my number just incase their other half is thinking about buying a boat because for a small fee I can talk them out of it :D

The 3/4 toners haven't seen the same revival as the 1/4 and 1/2's alright but a well set up DB can be a very competitive class 2 IRC boat. zoom has done very well on the south coast and Red Rhum does well. However, they are a country miles away from that old DB in the ad.
    A new rig, sails, electronics, etc, will make it a totally crazy financial prospect.

All wives and some husbands have my number just incase their other half is thinking about buying a boat because for a small fee I can talk them out of it :D

i,ll buy it............... you can store it till im ready which could be a while :D

Donie75 wrote: »
    The 3/4 toners haven't seen the same revival as the 1/4 and 1/2's alright but a well set up DB can be a very competitive class 2 IRC boat. zoom has done very well on the south coast and Red Rhum does well. However, they are a country miles away from that old DB in the ad.
    A new rig, sails, electronics, etc, will make it a totally crazy financial prospect.

Theres people out there who will spend that money. unfortunately though this isnt a 1/4 or 1/2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jeez! That's a name from the past. Very fast in light airs, owned by the late Gus Mehigan and helmed by him and by Des Cummins. She was dark green back then. A short chop and she stopped dead! GM bought Silver Foam after her.

Advertisement