Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie yacht hire - realistic or pipe dream?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

I would love to hire a yacht for a couple of weeks next summer and sail in the Med! From what I have read on the various websites, the minimum qualification I would need is the 'day skipper'

I have never even set foot on a yacht, but the idea of doing this really appeals to me. I love camper van type holidays, i love the water and I like boats and i did a dinghy sailing course in Baltimore when i was a kid and I loved that so I reckon it would be a safe enough bet that I would like this!

I have a basic understanding of how yachts and sailing works and also, due to the fact that I have good general aviation experience, I reckon I would pick up the 'rules of the sea' stuff and of course navigation quicker than someone with absolutely zero knowlege.

Of course, given that I spent a lot of time in GA, I have seen my fair share of guys who show up at the airfield thinking they can do their 40 hours training in a week and then be safe and competent pilots after that!! Of course it's simply not the case. You need the hours and that takes time. I guess sailing is the same kind of thing.

But I am not looking to be an expert - at least for now, I would just like to be safe and competent and I figured asking here would be a good start. Is this a pipe dream, or a realistic ambition to be able to charter a yacht for a fortnight in summer 2015 starting the year with zero experience? the websites all tell you it's easy, but they just want your money of course!

I presume I wouold have to do some sailing courses in advance - but what about logging hours in charge?

Thanks for replies in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm quite sure that if you apply yourself to it you could find someone who would charter you a yacht with minimal experience.

But the thing about sailing is that the weather conditions can change by the day - or even in the course of the day - and that's where experience comes into it. Could you handle it if you're 20 miles from shore and a 25kt wind blows up? Or visibility disappears?

Things can also break/malfuntion. Could you sail into a marina/harbour if your engine conked on you?

I'm not trying to scare you off - a sailing holiday is absolutely the best kind of holiday there is, bar none, IMO - but I'm not sure I'd head off on a boat on my own with zero or minimal experience. You need to respect the sea!

Have a look at a flotilla option. It's where you skipper your own boat, but you're basically in a group going from place to place and have the backup of a lead boat. I've never done it, but know people who have and it's a nice middle ground before you head off all on your own.

I know Sunsail used to do flotilla holidays, not sure if they're even still in existence. Neilsen would be another crowd who would do them. Probably loads more, but I don't know them off the top of my head. Google would though I'll bet!

And yes, do a few beginner courses to get the basic principles of sailing in the meantime. But it's hours on the water that will buid experience.

Like I said, I'm quite sure you could get your hands on a boat if you wanted to. But would you want to?

ETA http://www.sunsail.com/flotilla-sailing, http://www.neilson.co.uk/sailing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

^ This

Flotilla holiday is actually the first thing that popped into my head. Do your competent crew and day skipper anyway, it'll stand to you and you'll be able to develop your skills more on the holiday than if you're juts getting to grips with it...

I'd be personally inclined to say that someone with minimal experience other than a competent crew and day skipper would be able for a flotilla holiday but I'd be very reluctant to advise anything more independent than that. Hours on the water (other than as meat on the rail!) count for a LOT... You won't get experience in a couple of days on a course. How confident would you be - even with the engine on - getting into a harbour with hidden rocks and lots of hazards if you're not comfortable doing a pilotage plan off the back of an envelope on the way in? Because if, for whatever reason, the proverbial hits the fan, you might just have to duck into a harbour somewhere at a moment's notice. What if an alarm starts screaming while under way in the middle of the night in an area that has traffic about? What if your anchor slips and the engine won't start? How are your and whomever you're with's boat handling skills? Would you (and the person with you) be able to retrieve a man overboard?

I don't want to scare you. Going off on a sailing holiday is not a pipe dream and is a fantastic idea! But I would be of the opinion that you won't have enough experience by next summer to charter a boat by yourself. I've had all of the above happen at some point during the time I've been sailing. They're not rare events (thankfully not exactly commonplace either!) - but they're standard things you need to be able to cope with. The benefit of a flotilla is that if you do find yourself in trouble... At least there are likely to be people around who will help and who can tell you what to do. Plus you can build the skills and experience you'll need to do a bareboat charter.

The other option would be a skippered charter, if you don't fancy the idea of cruising in company!

Most importantly, go for it - just don't jump in the deep end! That doesn't work in sailing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I’d also go along with the above two posts. The Med is extremes – either too much or too little wind for sailing. Flotilla is the best option – on your own mainly during the day but with back-up available. After all, if something nasty happens you will put crew/family off sailing forever. As for helming a boat, I’ve always found that anyone who can fly a plane or ride a horse makes a great helm.
    Great idea! Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Oh and just a thought for you OP, if I was in your shoes (which I never will be due to my impeccable ability to have family and friends who hate being on the water :( ) I'd probably plan to do a week or 10 days on the boat and then the rest of the time in a hotel somewhere nice. There's always the possibility that the person with you might find 2 full weeks on the boat a bit much and you all might enjoy some time adjusting back to terra firma before having to return to normality.

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Oh and just a thought for you OP, if I was in your shoes (which I never will be due to my impeccable ability to have family and friends who hate being on the water :( ) I'd probably plan to do a week or 10 days on the boat and then the rest of the time in a hotel somewhere nice. There's always the possibility that the person with you might find 2 full weeks on the boat a bit much and you all might enjoy some time adjusting back to terra firma before having to return to normality.

Aw jeez..... :mad: That's very bad planning/fortune on your part! (Mind you, I'm in a fairly similar situation, but do have one partner in crime thankfully!)

But this is a very good point.

Who you're planning to do this holiday with will make a difference to how you go at it. Gang of pals? Wife? Wife + kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Guys, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. As i suspected, there's a little bit more to it than just clocking up 2 days on boat and then sailing off into the sunset. Just like flying, you need to have the know-how and experience to deal with the curve balls - the engine failures, the unplanned diversions, the weather changes. Makes sense I guess.

Heidi, both myself and my OH would very much like to do this, but I have a few friends who are interested too - one guy has no qualifications but sailed extensively with his folks over the course of a summer, living on the boat. Another has good dingy experience...

Ideally I think a larger number of people would make for a better trip - maybe 3 couples on a big boat. No kids involved! i suppose a skipper would be a decent bet for next summer then? cost between 6 people wouldn't be that high.

Sky King wrote: »
    Guys, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply - this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. As i suspected, there's a little bit more to it than just clocking up 2 days on boat and then sailing off into the sunset. Just like flying, you need to have the know-how and experience to deal with the curve balls - the engine failures, the unplanned diversions, the weather changes. Makes sense I guess.

Heidi, both myself and my OH would very much like to do this, but I have a few friends who are interested too - one guy has no qualifications but sailed extensively with his folks over the course of a summer, living on the boat. Another has good dingy experience...

Ideally I think a larger number of people would make for a better trip - maybe 3 couples on a big boat. No kids involved! i suppose a skipper would be a decent bet for next summer then? cost between 6 people wouldn't be that high.

Personally I'd absolutely HATE the idea of a skippered charter! A boat is small enough a space as it is, without sharing it with a complete stranger, never mind how nice he/she is. However, if you got your head around it (lots of people do, I'm probably in a minority!) then you could certainly get yourself a bigger boat and treat it like one long sailing lesson/learning curve.

Another option that quite a few people I know have done is to do a shore-based course and then a week flotilla - so you do your learning and then use it straight away - you still have the cushion of a lead boat, and all the radio contact, advice and help that goes with that - but you're in charge of your own boat each day. Again Sunsail used to do this (I'm not a rep, honestly, they're just the only company I've ever done sailing holidays away with) but their shore bases closed a few years ago so I'm not sure this is still an option with them. and Neilson used to only do dinghies at their shore bases, so not sure about them either. But again, Uncle Google will throw up lot of options I bet.

For me it'd be no contest. Flotilla all the way. But if you like the idea of having a professional on board from whom you will learn loads, then go for the skippered charter.

Delighted to hear that you've parked/postponed the idea of a bareboat charter for the moment - there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be well able for that by summer 2016, but don't put yourself in the way of unnecessary risk before you've a bit of mileage under your belt.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Personally I'd absolutely HATE the idea of a skippered charter! A boat is small enough a space as it is, without sharing it with a complete stranger, never mind how nice he/she is. However, if you got your head around it (lots of people do, I'm probably in a minority!) then you could certainly get yourself a bigger boat and treat it like one long sailing lesson/learning curve.

Another option that quite a few people I know have done is to do a shore-based course and then a week flotilla - so you do your learning and then use it straight away - you still have the cushion of a lead boat, and all the radio contact, advice and help that goes with that - but you're in charge of your own boat each day. Again Sunsail used to do this (I'm not a rep, honestly, they're just the only company I've ever done sailing holidays away with) but their shore bases closed a few years ago so I'm not sure this is still an option with them. and Neilson used to only do dinghies at their shore bases, so not sure about them either. But again, Uncle Google will throw up lot of options I bet.

For me it'd be no contest. Flotilla all the way. But if you like the idea of having a professional on board from whom you will learn loads, then go for the skippered charter.

Delighted to hear that you've parked/postponed the idea of a bareboat charter for the moment - there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be well able for that by summer 2016, but don't put yourself in the way of unnecessary risk before you've a bit of mileage under your belt.

Just read this post again and realised it may not have been terribly clear - I mean you do your week-long course at some Mediterranean location and start/finish your flotilla holiday from there. Something like this http://www.sunsail.co.uk/sailing-schools/level-0/sunsail-flotilla-training

Means you get a two-week holiday, which you seem to be after - some of it spent learning/training, and a week of it spent actually cruising.

That looks class! I'll deffo look into that a bit more.

Yeah the idea of sharing a small boat with a skipper - I can see now why that wouldn't appeal alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Sky King - if you did charter a yacht who would you plan to take with you?
    Sailing a yacht alone is only for the very experienced.

Have you considered just doing your competent crew/day skipper course with a sailing school that runs courses in the Med? You can always persuade a friend or two to join you if you don't want to go alone. That'll set you up for future yacht charters with family & friends, but will get you out this summer too.

Alternatively join someone else's charter. People often look for an extra person or two to make up numbers for a group yacht charter. Clubs and sailing schools will often put together a summer charter group too. Sailing in Dublin (for instance) usually organises at least one group charter every summer.

In the mean time get as much experience sailing as you can. Not sure where you're based, but people here can recommend where to go and who to talk to to get crewing experience and take a few lessons.

• Advertisement

Guys thanks again for your replies - I was just reading through them there again today having just come back from holidays this week where I saw lots of lovely yachts all looking very alluring in the blue water. It's got me thinking about possibly getting into it... possibly even talking the GF into it as well!
    Is Dun Laoghaire a good place to learn? I see loads of clubs advertised there when i google it. Somewhere like waterford would be more convenient to my house (I live in the south east) however I will probably have access to accommodation on the dart line near there so to me this makes sense. Any recommendations for clubs? I guess it depends on the person which club is best.
    I know it's probably a small scene in Ireland so you might not want to be slating someone's business in a public forum so feel free to PM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Hi There

I did a couple of flotillas (2 weeks) with family in both Greece and Croatia...(Greece better by the way!)

I would highly recommend a flotilla as the way to get into this. You still have your own boat, you are going to interesting different places, you have a lead boat with the flotilla manager, mechanic etc on board and they will come to your rescue if you have any problems.

I once had a furling mainsail mechanism jam and couldn't haul in the mainsail as the wind was rising. We were heading into one of the ports for the evening. A quick call on the radio and a few minutes later a James Bond type, blond suntanned and in his twenties, races up in a high speed rib, gets on board with a grappling hook and fixes the problem in a few minutes. The missus was dead impressed!

Go for it and enjoy it.

Sky King wrote: »
    Guys thanks again for your replies - I was just reading through them there again today having just come back from holidays this week where I saw lots of lovely yachts all looking very alluring in the blue water. It's got me thinking about possibly getting into it... possibly even talking the GF into it as well!
    Is Dun Laoghaire a good place to learn? I see loads of clubs advertised there when i google it. Somewhere like waterford would be more convenient to my house (I live in the south east) however I will probably have access to accommodation on the dart line near there so to me this makes sense. Any recommendations for clubs? I guess it depends on the person which club is best.
    I know it's probably a small scene in Ireland so you might not want to be slating someone's business in a public forum so feel free to PM!!

I'm sure there's others on here who will be more familiar with the SE sailing/intructing scene, but I'm Dublin based so can tell you a bit about that.

You could start at the very beginning by taking a dinghy course with the INSC on the West Pier in DL. It's by far the best way to learn the basic principles of sailing, and the INSC http://www.insc.ie/ are very good at what they do (I have no connection to them, but did a few course myself when I was starting out).

I also know of Irish Offshore Sailing http://www.irishoffshoresailing.com/ (also no connection) who do skipper training courses, and also do a lot of offshore racing with trainees. They have two 37' yachts. They're based in DL marina.

When you do courses, you often make contacts who might get you out racing or cruising, or just for a day sail somewhere, and you'll be able to buid up experience and time on the water.

Either of these, or indeed I'm sure there's loads of other places, would be happy to advise you and point you in the right direction. If you put your mind to it, as I said in a previous post, you could easily have yourself well ready for a flotilla holiday next summer.

ETA - whoops, wrong link for the INSC. That's actually the sailing club end of things. The training bit is the INSS http://www.inss.ie/. But you'd get plenty of experience with the club once you've done your initial courses if you were into that - they're regularly out racing in all weathers!

Thanks Heidi - I like the idea of taking part in the races as a hands on learning experience - I checked out the vids on irishoffshore sailing and that looks really cool - I might check them out.
    you could easily have yourself well ready for a flotilla holiday next summer.
    :)

Advertisement