Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crew available / crew wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrmacg

Thanks H for the quick reply

Answer to (i) I'd like to race if at all possible ( I have a few pals who race 31.7's and I believe that they are very good, so I'm a bit apprehensive about asking them to show the the ropes as I do not want get in their way )

(ii)I did nothing, went out to see the tall ships and sail along with them, it was very just leisurely, not knowing what to do I just took in the sight

(iii) I'm out in Castleknock so either Howth or DL would be perfect

27 Relatively fit, and def enthusiastic with a appetite to learn, I've a more hands on approach, I retain information by doing rather than being taught in a classroom, very willing to learn and reliable showing up to what I promise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

mrmacg wrote: »

Answer to (i) I'd like to race if at all possible ( I have a few pals who race 31.7's and I believe that they are very good, so I'm a bit apprehensive about asking them to show the the ropes as I do not want get in their way )

We were actually talking about this a couple of weeks ago in the yacht club. Good reliable crew are worth their weight in gold. Doesn't matter if they can't sail - skills can be learned - but if they turn up on time and consistently... That's valuable.

Ask your friends, a 31.7 is big enough to bring you along and let you get familiar with what's going on. Aside from that, get into a dinghy and have a few lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You should book yourself onto a basic Level 1 sailing course then. There's little if any classroom work - you'll do all your learning on the water - and you'll know your way around a boat, which makes you much more attractive as a crew prospect. There's a million particular names for things that will be shouted (nicely, hopefully!) at you, and if you don't know the terminology you're hobbled from the start.

The INSC in Dun Laoghaire are great - I did lots of evenings and bits and pieces with them years ago, and a girl who has just started crewing with us did a basic weekend course with them recently and was delighted with it. I also have a pal who does racing-orientated crew courses in his own boat (Beneteau 21.1, so small enough to get a real feel of what's going on) - he's based in Dun Laoghaire Marina. The NYC in DL is running a four-week adult sail training course soon - they use Topper dingies (gets you right down to water level, you'll learn loads!) and 1720 sportsboats (smallish keelboats). Wednesdays and Fridays for four weeks, something over 200 quid all in.

Those are just ones I know of, there's loads and loads of courses out there. PM me if you want any more details - I don't want to be plugging things just because I know about them!

And yes, get out on your pal's boat. 31.7's are very competitive - I crewed on one last season, and had a ball, it was very hard work! - but there's room to keep out of the way and get an idea of what's involved in racing, as Miss No Stars says. But you'll never learn about sailing by racing. There's just no time to explain what's going on and why, you just wind up doing what you're told (probably very efficiently) with no real idea of the theory behind it - especially on a bigger boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

I started sailing just under two years ago. I did a adult sailing course in Howth, and got crewing there. After that I figured DL was a lot closer to me, and found another sailing course, again ran by one of the clubs.

The clubs tend to run courses because its a good way to introduce people to the club, and they tend to do them at very good prices. Howth and most of the DL clubs do similar style courses. Email them and ask, and they will point you to these course. If you have friends in one club, go with that.

In the current club I'm in in DL, I was asked to go along to a race night by one of the boats, and because I showed up on time, week after week, they didn't let me go and I ended up learning more from those guys then I did from any course.

I have since completed and the comp crew and day skipper course. If you do crewing, learn knots and get involved on the boat, the comp crew is probably a waste, and you are better just moving on to the day skipper. If you get that, you can rent a boat in the Med!

I've heard that learning to sail in a dinghy is highly recommended, but this is not something I have done. It can be good to do, without a doubt, but isn't necessary at all. What is very necessary is to get on boats, and jump in with two feet. Learn how to stay out of the way, and on the boat! Learn what is going on, the rules of the races, the basics of trimming a sail, the aerodynamics of the boat, and enjoy yourself.

31.7s have a good fleet I believe, and I would also recommend cruiser 3. The boats are small, so you will be forced to participate. They also act like dinghys as they are so light. You can even do roll tacks! Either way, jump in and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 random_punter_2

Hi All,

I recently bought a 30 foot sailing cruiser and the person who was going to help me sail it back has let me down so I'm looking for an experienced sailer to help me sail it from Southampton to Greystones as soon as possible. If you've done it before, or know some who has please let me know. We can come to some sort of arrangement with the costs and travel. I'm easy going and pretty flexible when it comes to the details. I'm an RYA day skipper myself but this will be the longest leg that I've ever sailed so someone who is comfortable plotting a safe course would would come in very handy on a trip like this. The journey would be a lot of fun if the recent weather holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Hi All,

I recently bought a 30 foot sailing cruiser and the person who was going to help me sail it back has let me down so I'm looking for an experienced sailer to help me sail it from Southampton to Greystones as soon as possible. If you've done it before, or know some who has please let me know. We can come to some sort of arrangement with the costs and travel. I'm easy going and pretty flexible when it comes to the details. I'm an RYA day skipper myself but this will be the longest leg that I've ever sailed so someone who is comfortable plotting a safe course would would come in very handy on a trip like this. The journey would be a lot of fun if the recent weather holds.

talk to:
    -The manager of the commercial pier Crosshaven - i did crosshaven to cowes with him - he is the man ur lookig for -qual skipper - memeber of rnli -top lad -think his name is kieran - dont get a cowboy to help you!!!-
    -James Lyons Soverign sailing Kinsale - will prob help woth crew - he trains yachtmasters offshore courses
    -Victor Fusco Kinsale outdoor education center -he might know some students to help you
    if your boat is seworthy with proper tech gadgets - and u get a skipper/ qualified offshore yachtmaster ill go as watch or deckhand for 150 per day plus tarvel/food accommodation expenses. Cant see a professional doing for less that 200 a day plus expenses

Personally id buy a boat in Crossshaven and sale it up if its only worth under 15k.

Best of luck - safe travelling

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mrmacg wrote: »

(ii)I did nothing, went out to see the tall ships and sail along with them, it was very just leisurely, not knowing what to do I just took in the sight

(iii) I'm out in Castleknock so either Howth or DL would be perfect

27 Relatively fit, and def enthusiastic with a appetite to learn, I've a more hands on approach, I retain information by doing rather than being taught in a classroom, very willing to learn and reliable showing up to what I promise

Hey mrmacg :)

Howth are just starting their second block of adult training this Thursday 18th July, it's different courses aimed at different levels, on J80s which are fun and fast boats. Part of the objective is to encourage people to get involved in crewing

You can email coaching@hyc.ie for details, as Heidi said, I've recently started (two months ago now!) and am really enjoying it, started with no experience crewing on a whitesails boat in Howth, and as miss no stars has said, the fact I turned up week in week out seems to have stood to me, I've learned loads, and in that few weeks have gone from hopping from one side of the boat to the other, to actually playing a part really contributing to sailing the boat.

I've done the start sailing and introduction to sailing courses myself, and am hoping to start basic skills this week, and would definitely recommend them as if you want to race, even on slower boats, you'll not learn much, it's a completely different language :) On both the courses I've done so far, it's maybe 10/20% theory and then 80% practical, so you can really apply what you learn given how you learn.

I've found especially since doing start sailing, and probably coupled with the fact I show up as much as I do, that I now feel comfortable (to an extent) taking a small part in discussing what we are going to do as a group, rather than being a passenger. It really is tremendous fun :) even when you are being slagged off for getting something you have learned wrong (I decided to move clocks 180 degrees last week, and announced a mark ahead was at six rather than 12 o'clock) much to the mirth of my fellow crew/skipper :D Racing is a great way to learn the rules and how they work if you hook up with a good crew/skipper.

If you want any details on the courses, send me a pm, I'm not even a member of Howth, but can be out there three times a week at the moment!

P.s. in relation to courses on dinghies or bigger boats, I did both my first two courses on dinghies, and found it really gave me a great perspective that applied just as well to the cruiser I race on :)

And p.s. 2: If you are racing, there will inevitably be some shouting, when you get caught in ropes, something gets stuck, the **** just hits the fan, or there is an argument about boats. At first it's a bit freaky, but unless you are with an ass of a crew/skipper, it's never ever personal, I nearly died the first time I a. had an accident and ended up with rope for the jib wrapped around my knee preventing a tack, and the roaring, and b. was involved in other boats all jostling for position and the yelling that went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hi,

I am looking for someone to provide on boat training on an Marieholm 25 on a paid basis.

Please PM to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

@Stheno: sounds like you're getting on well. you gonna head out during the week to watch the J24 worlds ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

alph wrote: »
    @Stheno: sounds like you're getting on well. you gonna head out during the week to watch the J24 worlds ?

YUP, hoping to get out at least one of the days :) It's been fun watching all the prep this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Hello,

I am looking to take part in a crew. Racing would be fun but any working crew would be nice.
    I have experience in a bristol pilot cutter, over 5000 miles but very little experience in a modern boat (no winches etc.)

But I'm a quick learner and have some good sea yarns too

Please get in touch if you need crew at all, would love to get sailing again. Live near Dun Laoghaire but will travel if necessary.

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

TS Pelican is looking for 16-25 year olds from the UK and Ireland to take part in a tall ship voyage from Belfast to Dublin to Liverpool in May/June. Funding is available to those meeting the criteria.
    http://www.adventureundersail.com/irish_sea_exchange.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Hi all.

Is there anyone out there who is looking for crew members in the west coast of Ireland as I would like to get experience on the water. About 3 months ago I purchased a second hand Shetland Family 4 but I would like to get some experience before taking it out. I'm usually available on the weekends and free everyday during the months of July-August.

Please keep me in mind if you are looking for a crew member.

Regards

Malachy

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Higgy12

Hi, we're looking for a crew member for racing on weekends. We race from Malahide. If you're interested please contact me.

Morning.

Thanks for the reply. Do I need any experience as I don't have any on the water.
    Regards

Mal

• Advertisement

Hi Mal,

We're on the east coast if you're interested. We're fine with someone looking to learn.

Hi.

When is your next outing and what time at???

Mal

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

Hey Higgy,

I'm based in Clontarf. 26 year old male, had sailing experience when I was a kid but pretty much remember none of that so I'm completely new. If you are looking for extra hands sometime I'd love to help out if ye have the room and don't mind someone with 0 experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Im 34 ( Too Old ?)

Looking to learn everything from the start.

Im available every weekend and live near Dublin ...... i looking to build up experience and i'm reliable ..... let me know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hello,

I'm 29 and looking to crew. I raced dinghies some years ago, but have zip experience on 'real' boats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 creavertor

hello, in a month I will be living in Malahide. i am galician 31 years old and I will go to live for a while with the intention of learning English. I am sailing and dinghy instructor dinghy. I would like to find some boat to be part of the crew, to sail on occasion. the only problem is my English level is really low. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

creavertor wrote: »
    hello, in a month I will be living in Malahide. i am galician 31 years old and I will go to live for a while with the intention of learning English. I am sailing and dinghy instructor dinghy. I would like to find some boat to be part of the crew, to sail on occasion. the only problem is my English level is really low. thanks

Best place to try over winter will Howth for the Brass Monkeys on cruisers. Very little sailing in Dublin over the winter. Post an ad on the club website and explain your situation http://hyc.ie/crew-finder

I am already registered on the website of Howth, I hope to get lucky and find some boat to sail even make a sailing long voyage or move a ship to other place or country.
    i am a skill navigator with experience on sailboat, with my boat "Aguilucho" ESP-9238 is a Yatlant 24, a model made in galicia very similar the Coco 6.5.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

creavertor wrote: »
    I am already registered on the website of Howth, I hope to get lucky and find some boat to sail even make a sailing long voyage or move a ship to other place or country.
    i am a skill navigator with experience on sailboat, with my boat "Aguilucho" ESP-9238 is a Yatlant 24, a model made in galicia very similar the Coco 6.5.
    thanks

Right now you don't have an ad up. Follow the link, put an ad up outlining what you want to crew on and the experience you have.

Right now you don't have an ad up. Follow the link, put an ad up outlining what you want to crew on and the experience you have.

thanks, i registered but now i wait that the web approved my ad.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Interesting thread. The only knowledge I have of sailing is watching volvo ocean race clips on youtube, it looks like great craic :D. Probably a very obvious question but regarding a newbie looking to crew with a racing boat what fees do they pay? I'm guessing at the highest levels (i.e volvo ocean race type lark) each crew member is paying for their place on the boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Remmy wrote: »
    Interesting thread. The only knowledge I have of sailing is watching volvo ocean race clips on youtube, it looks like great craic :D. Probably a very obvious question but regarding a newbie looking to crew with a racing boat what fees do they pay? I'm guessing at the highest levels (i.e volvo ocean race type lark) each crew member is paying for their place on the boat?

I would have thought quite the opposite, I'd imagine the crews on boats such as the Volvo Ocean Race would be getting paid to be there, or atleast certainly not paying to be there, they are a professional working crew!! I'm open to correction though!

That's kind of like asking do F1 drivers pay for their weekend spins :D

That's how far removed Volvo Ocean racing is from your normal club stuff. Of course there's a whole lot in between as well.

I'd imagine those Volvo crews are handsomely paid for their presence.

But newbies don't generally pay for their places. They also generally don't get places on anything other than club boats out doing weekday amateur racing.

Once you get a level above that into entering big events or offshore races, then it really depends how rich and/or generous the boat owners are :D. I've done some big offshores for no cost to me at all as crew, but a lot will spread the cost between the crew. And the likes of sailing schools will charge a hefty fee (including a profit for them, obviously) for a place on a big race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Just on the off chance anyone is looking for Crew for the spring series in either howth or dun laoghaire Id be happy to lend my services. Useually sail in Poolbeg but the season doesnt start back up for a few months.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

This is about the time of year; when people are getting the boats ready for the coming season.
    I am available most weekends; if someone wants to do some maintenance’ or minor repairs’ to give a hand cleaning; or any other odd jobs.
    In return I would après eat some sailing lessons?
    If you think this would suite your needs then let me know

• Advertisement

Any takers
    I have lost a little bit of weight but I might still be good for ballast
    :D

Hi, We're always looking for crew for club racing on Fridays and weekends. North Co. Dublin area. We start racing around mid May.

Few crew wanted ads up on Howth Yacht Club website.

Autumn leagues are on in Howth starting tomorrow for 6 weeks and few boats looking for crew if any ones looking for a sail

Anyone looking for an inexperienced but enthusiastic crew member in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Would anyone have interest in a sail from Ireland to the Med in late April next year?

32 ft. hustler racing yacht

Let me know if you would be available and what experience you have as well.

Not even Xmas & boats are already looking for crew for next summer. Good Class 3 boat in Howth looking.

http://hyc.ie/crew-finder/47-vincent-gaffney

Hi,

We're looking for crew either new or experienced for club racing in North Dublin. Races are mainly on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Higgy12 wrote: »
    Hi,

We're looking for crew either new or experienced for club racing in North Dublin. Races are mainly on the weekend.

A friend of mine would be interested. (I would be too, if I still lived in the area!)

Can you send me your number and I can pass it on?

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    A friend of mine would be interested. (I would be too, if I still lived in the area!)

Can you send me your number and I can pass it on?

Thanks!

I sent a private message.

Hi guys,

After dreaming of sailing for years, we managed to buy our own little boat last week. however, we will not be putting it on the water until we have restored it a bit,

in the meantime, the wife and I are looking for anybody in the Dublin to Carlingford area who would be willing to take us out on the water for our first experience. ?

We are living in Co. Meath, both in our early 30s and while not the fittest couple in the world, we are really keen to learn, we work erratic hours so the try sail days that we have found are always on when we seem to be working.

We are willing to contribute to costs if need be, I know this is a probably a long shot but... If you don't ask you'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We are looking for 2 additional bodies to crew with us on Saturday and 1 on Sunday (If we get two for Sat who also want to crew on Sunday, we could probably carry the extra) No experience necessary and great if you do. You dont need any special gear, a rain jacket, maybe rain leggings, maybe a couple of layers if you feel the cold, runners, any kind of cloths that will dry quickly if wet are great but not necessary. We can supply life jackets if you don't have one. Two of our crew have only been with us a couple of months, the rest have varying levels of experience, we work hard as a team and like to win:)

We race a Beneteau 34.7 (34.7 feet a medium/large keel boat) in the White Sails/Cruisers 5/Non Spinnaker fleet in Dun Laoghaire. Racing is around the cans (racing marks) in Dublin Bay, so we are pretty close to land all the time, its not off shore racing. There are 5 races in total, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, you would have to be at the Marina in Dun Laoghaire by 09.30 and we would be back in the marina around 16.30/17.00. Same time start on Sunday but an earlier finish.

If you are interested in doing something hopefully fun and exciting this weekend and want some more info, post here or send me a private message.

Thanks

If you'd asked half a day earlier I'd have been up for it, but got nobbled for the committee boat!

Dammit, you would have been very welcome too, we always pick up something new from experienced crew.

• Advertisement

We just got the sailing instructions today and disappointingly we only have one race each day, most likely coastal races. The time limit for all races according to the SI's is 1.5 hours, so they probably wont give us the long coastal of 12.5 miles. This means that our racing will be finished early and we will be back in between 12.30 and 13.00. If two full days was putting anyone off, its now sadly two short days. :(

We are sorted for Sunday

One place on Saturday left.

We are full

Thanks

Y-Knot (modified IC24) in class 3 are looking for 1-2 crew for the Autumn League, PM here for the owners details if interested

neris wrote: »
    Y-Knot (modified IC24) in class 3 are looking for 1-2 crew for the Autumn League, PM here for the owners details if interested

Is that a modified J24 owned by a chap with a long history of boat/ship building?

If it is, he's a lovely man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement