Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smartmeters

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Heroditas wrote: »
    That's not happening here so it has zero relevance.

Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

fclauson wrote: »
    Yet

The solution is going to be predominantly GSM based.
    For someone who claims to have been working with suppliers of solutions to power companies, you're completely out of touch with what is proposed and intended for this programme in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

There seems to be a large misunderstanding among many people as to what a smart meter will actually be capable of. At the end of the day, it's just a meter.
    Yep – all we’re talking about is providing exactly the same data that conventional meter readings provide, but at higher temporal resolution.
    Free Wifi?!? The evil bastards.

If you’re so concerned, then just don’t use the free wifi whenever you happen to find yourself in Santa Clara. Problem solved.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yep – all we’re talking about is providing exactly the same data that conventional meter readings provide, but at higher temporal resolution.
    Free Wifi?!? The evil bastards.

If you’re so concerned, then just don’t use the free wifi whenever you happen to find yourself in Santa Clara. Problem solved.

Slightly unrelated but I always find it hilarious when people complain about civil liberties, "Big Brother" and data protection while using the internet to air their complaints!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If a burglar wants to rob someone's house there's easier ways to find out if the person is away than hacking into a secure network and analysing raw consumption data.
    They can just ring the bloody doorbell, same as they do now.
    so it's back to the old trick of leaving the hall light on because it'll show up on the meter :pac:

• Advertisement

so it's back to the old trick of leaving the hall light on because it'll show up on the meter :pac:

Use an LED and it'll barely register amongst all the noise with the fridge, freezer, etc! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sorry but the bit about the data being transmitted via power lines is nonsense.

The Big Brother bit is also nonsense too. Nobody really gives two hoots about people's "lifestyles" and Data Protection and personal data are being treated very seriously as part of the programme to ensure that privacy is not compromised.
    At the end of the day, it's measurement of electricity and gas usage, not a determination of how people lead their lives.
    Some people really get paranoid about the strangest of things.

This may be the protocol used http://www.opensmartgridprotocol.org/content/what-osgp

The solution is going to be predominantly GSM based.
    For someone who claims to have been working with suppliers of solutions to power companies, you're completely out of touch with what is proposed and intended for this programme in Ireland.
    No it won't be, gsm is to expensive for mass roll out. They may use it remote locations were building a mesh isn't practical due to low density

ted1 wrote: »
    No it won't be, gsm is to expensive for mass roll out. They may use it remote locations were building a mesh isn't practical due to low density

Ireland is a very "low density" country though, certainly when compared to other EU states.

Ireland is a very "low density" country though, certainly when compared to other EU states.

I'm talking about one off houses in malin head and the likes

• Advertisement

I'm talking about one off houses in malin head and the likes

The likes of those are unlikely to get smart meters

The likes of those are unlikely to get smart meters

The plan is for everyone to get one.
    What makes you think its GSM? Any of the smart meter meetings I've been too have ruled this out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think I heard mention of zigbee being used but don't quote me on that as that might have been water meters.

Yes the industrial ones use GSM and power isn't exactly a problem. But what would the costs be country wide ?

Or maybe this will piggy back on the FTTH thing they are doing with vodafone ?

I think I heard mention of zigbee being used but don't quote me on that as that might have been water meters.

Yes the industrial ones use GSM and power isn't exactly a problem. But what would the costs be country wide ?

Or maybe this will piggy back on the FTTH thing they are doing with vodafone ?

ZigBee is being used for the meters to communicate with the HAN (home area network). The HAN will communicate to the in-home display and also to the WAN

I also heard word of Zigbee being used, its a cheap open source protocoll that easily builds a mesh and uses little power.

I've worked with zigbee meters before and there's certainly limitations to it and depending on traffic flow I would be cautious on using it large scale.
    From my own professional experience I would prefer a wired connection. But if its to link up a in home display or other utility meters with basic info. Eg totalised register counts with time stamps then it may be suitable

Zigbee won't be used to communicate between every HAN and WAN.
    it'll only be used to transmit half hour data with a time stamp from the meter to the HAN.

Happy Christmas!

That's not happening here so it has zero relevance.
    Yet

or maybe it is happening

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/esb-will-roll-out-broadband-to-500000-homes-29942493.html

The plan is for everyone to get one.
    What makes you think its GSM? Any of the smart meter meetings I've been too have ruled this out.

Just looking back on some material and during the trials, ESBN wanted to use GPRS/3G for the Wide Area Network to reduce the required infrastructure and complexity of network installation etc.

ESB are lying Fibre for Vodafone Cavan will be the first place to get it. there hoping to tget the cable classed as elctric so they get automatic way leave.

ESB are lying Fibre for Vodafone Cavan will be the first place to get it. there hoping to tget the cable classed as elctric so they get automatic way leave.
    I believe they will also "wrap" it around overhead cables - this is what has already happened on the High Voltage cables to distribute the network across the country

(look at any high voltage pylon and see if you can see a spiral wrap around one of the cables)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hello

Can I buy my own smart meter and have it installed or is it a waste of time / money until the new tarrifs are rolled out?

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Hello

Can I buy my own smart meter and have it installed or is it a waste of time / money until the new tarrifs are rolled out?

For billing purposes, the only meter of record that is recognised is one that is installed by ESB Networks. You can't install your own meter for billing purposes that will replace the existing networks meter.
    You'll just have to wait until they're rolled out between late 2016 and 2020

Advertisement