Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperBowl 50 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

CJ Anderson is going to be MVP, is going to run for 150 Yards and 3 TD's and the Broncos are going to win this one 30-27

:)

I agree with everything you said JRG

Boo to the Pats ... Boo I tell's ya, especially that Brady lad, hope he's at home shining his rings or at least Giselle's!

Seriously lads lets just discuss the Superbowl between the Bronco's and the Panthers.

No need to bring up the painful defeat for the Patriots fans I'm sure they haven't recovered yet.

Two playoff losses in a row to Manning might make Brady consider retirement.

Alright enough .. :)
    Seriously though, I would love to see Peyton go out with a ring. Not sure it will happen though, his WR's have had a bad case of the dropsies over the last few games. Thomas has been terrible and he is going to be key if Denver are going to win. I think the Denver defence is a little bit better than Carolina, just looking at the numbers they don't give up nearly as many points but the Panthers problem on D is the deep ball and not sure Peyton has that in his locker at the moment.

Davis' injury is going to be a really pivotal factor, if he is not as effective as he has been then Peyton will get time to scan and even with a 75% arm I think he can cause damage, as long as the WR's catch the ball. Personally I think Gary Kubiak's continued use of Ronnie Hillman is baffling. Anderson is the talent here, just give him the rock and let him do the damage.

I hope as well that this one is a good game, like last year's not a Seattle or Patriots fan (Redskins for my sins) but man I enjoyed last year's it was terrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

JCTO wrote: »
    So 4 Pats fans means all Pats fans?
    Being picky - I said 'Pats fans' - not 'all Pats fans' - If I wanted to imply all Pats fans then I would have said 'all Pats fans'
    In your opinion they are throwaway comments. Just because someone doesn't go into detail with their opinion that doesn't make it a throwaway comment. You are basically rubbishing their opinion.
    Actually I don't have a problem with a throwaway comment either - as you allude to - I make plenty myself.

The issue I have is when someone comes in and repeats the throwaway comment when evidence has been presented that could refute such an 'opinion'
    This right here sums you up. Saying my comments are nonsense. Where did I say I have no interest in the bowl?
    And where did I say that your comments were nonsense or that you didn't have an interest in the SB. You are taking a general comment and directing it at yourself.
    I would happily discuss the merits of each team but to be honest not with you as it would be a waste of time for two reasons. 1. I agree with a lot of what you said but I wouldn't say someone is responding with throwaway comments 2. It would be pointless debating with you anyways because you have banged in a lot of posts in here and it is clear you only see it one way and that is your way.
    In fact I think I have been quite balanced in my comments on the merits of the SB teams.

I am a Broncos fan so I look at things from the perspective of the Broncos - but not for one moment would I suggest that they are not a limited team. The Panthers are a better all-round team - but the Broncos defence is good enough to actually influence the outcome of the game. Whether Denver can put enough points on the board to win is a different matter.

As for the throwaway comments - well - to demonstrate again -
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I still think the Panthers D is arguably better.
    Why?

bruschi wrote: »
    so peoples opinions should be derided? That if they dont agree with one person they are wrong? And this is considered "debating". The same opinion that says the Panthers D is over rated (ranked only number 3 in comparison to Denver at 2 and Seattle at 1 in a lot of overall ranking tables) and that the offence too is over rated (ranked number 2 with Arizona 1 in comparison to Denver at 18).

Even those rankings are all subjective. Some people weigh some things more important than other things. Weight of opposition etc should be taken into account and division etc. All these things are variable, but the one thing that you should not be able to deride is someone's opinion. If someone thinks the Panthers D is good and in some cases better than the Denver D, then why does anyone have the right to deride that opinion? Its not like we are talking about comparing the Denver D with the Jags or the Browns. We are talking about a defence that has good stats to back up their seasons work and that has lost only 1 game this year.
    Have an opinion - but apart from the rankings which you accept are of limited use - can you provide evidence that the Panthers D warrants its rankings (if that is your opinion
    That vaunted Denver D has had a lot of poor days out as well,
    The Broncos D has had one poor performance - against the Steelers in the regular season - and it was a kick in the butt for them
    as spectacular as they were against the Patriots, Cam and the Carolina offence bring a totally different type of gameplay, and importantly, a run game.
    yes - Carolina are a different proposition to the Pats - and I have outlined why, in my opinion, the Broncos match up better against the Panthers offence. The running game will be the key - if the Panthers can consistently run the ball then they will win the game.
    Personally, I think Carolina have enough on offence to score more than what Denver can do against Carolinas defence. If Carolina stop the run game early, which despite improvements for Denver is not exactly a well oiled machine, then I think they have enough in their secondary to stop the pass game if it comes down to leaving it on Mannings shoulder.
    The secondary is the biggest weakness in the Panthers defence - and the weakness (particularly playing zone) is something even a poor and weak Manning can exploit.

Seriously though, I would love to see Peyton go out with a ring. Not sure it will happen though, his WR's have had a bad case of the dropsies over the last few games. Thomas has been terrible and he is going to be key if Denver are going to win.
    A big part of the reason for the dropped passes is the fact that Manning has no zip on the ball - WRs are used to catching balls that have zip - trying to adjust to a ball that is floated can cause problems.

I also wouldn't agree that Thomas has been terrible. He hasn't been playing elite but has had some good games and some important receptions. Some people have suggested that the distractions around his mother's release from prison have been an issue - I don't know - but I like Thomas and I think he will produce in the SB.
    I think the Denver defence is a little bit better than Carolina, just looking at the numbers they don't give up nearly as many points but the Panthers problem on D is the deep ball and not sure Peyton has that in his locker at the moment.
    there are holes in the secondary and Manning doesn't have to go deep to exploit them. If manning has the time then he can find the receivers - the big question is whether the OL can give him the time.
    Personally I think Gary Kubiak's continued use of Ronnie Hillman is baffling. Anderson is the talent here, just give him the rock and let him do the damage.
    Anderson is the better back - but he has been playing injured most of the season. Anderson is most effective with the QB under center - Manning can't play under center - and hence the reason for using Hillman who is more effective with Manning in the pistol or shotgun.
    I hope as well that this one is a good game, like last year's not a Seattle or Patriots fan (Redskins for my sins) but man I enjoyed last year's it was terrific!
    A blowout would be embarrassing for the Broncos and if Fox was still coaching the team I would be worried about that. But this Broncos team is a kicking and screaming team - they will fight to the bitter end for every yard - and it may well be enough for them to pull out the win in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

My two cents - for what it's worth.....

If someone replies that something is arguably better, they should possibly back up the statement with some sort of argument to support it. It *is* rather lightweight to claim, for example, that Philip Rivers is arguably a better QB than Tom Brady, without something substantive to back it up. There is a place for lightweight/throwaway comments on a fan forum, but i see nothing wrong in calling someone on it and inviting them to elaborate?

Denver's D is better though.

• Advertisement

If someone replies that something is arguably better, they should possibly back up the statement with some sort of argument to support it. It *is* rather lightweight to claim, for example, that Philip Rivers is arguably a better QB than Tom Brady, without something substantive to back it up. There is a place for lightweight/throwaway comments on a fan forum, but i see nothing wrong in calling someone on it and inviting them to elaborate?

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

While I can *kind of* understand the feeling - Denver's Super Bowls have not really been exciting spectacles for the most part - but after watching NFL all season, the two no. 1 seeds from each conference reach the final, the no. 1 offense v the no.1 defense, probably Peyton Manning's last game, Cam Newton's possible coronation, and you have no interest? I think I'd just give up watching the NFL if I felt this way before a Super Bowl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

poldebruin wrote: »

I dont disagree with that either, but would you expect to be derided for making that comment? People have made comments on here as to why they think they are as good, but to be told they are "rightly treated with derision"?

I too think Denvers D is better. That's my opinion. Do I need to go into details as to why I think they are better? This place is for opinion and debate. Opinions arent facts. Ramming ones own opinions as facts and pretty much telling everyone else their opinion is wrong is not debate.

Anyway, as for the game, I think it will be similar in effect to the Patriots one and the real battle is between Denvers defence and Carolinas offence. Whoever wins that battle will win in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Right now I don't really care but I reckon the Nantz/Sims Peyton love-in fest to come will have me cheering on the Panthers. Don't think I can deal with seeing that type of bias winning.

I think Newton could have a field day with his legs. Broncos definitely will regret it if they rush Newton like they did Brady. Newton will evade the likes of Miller and Ware and run for first downs all day. They've got to contain him. I'd be worried for Denver if Shane Ray sees the field.

Panthers by 10 is my prediction but I'm a bit afraid that the football gods will somehow make Peyton win this one. Just seems like it's destined to happen. I just don't see any logical way in which it happens unless the Broncos get themselves up a couple of scores early like they did against the Pats. Still don't think that'll be enough with the Panthers offense being so much more dynamic.

Panthers by 10. Newton MVP.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Right now I don't really care but I reckon the Nantz/Sims Peyton love-in fest to come will have me cheering on the Panthers. Don't think I can deal with seeing that type of bias winning.
    A Peyton love-in would be annoying - as someone else said, Manning hasn't done anything this season to deserve a ring. If the Broncos win it will be a team win.

On the upside - Sims hates the Broncos
    I think Newton could have a field day with his legs. Broncos definitely will regret it if they rush Newton like they did Brady. Newton will evade the likes of Miller and Ware and run for first downs all day. They've got to contain him. I'd be worried for Denver if Shane Ray sees the field.
    The Broncos got pressure with a four man rush against the Pats (and sometimes with only three).

The Panthers run narrow heavy lines - if they use max protection then the Broncos will have oppertunities to run down Newton from the backside - if they use six-man protection then Oher/Norwell will be matched up one-on-one with Ware/Jackson - a nightmare for the OLmen

Newton has to be contained - but the Broncos match up well against the offensive scheme the Panthers run in order to be able to contain him. I am looking forward to this because Newton is fun to watch.

It will all come down to how well the Panthers can run the ball - if they can run effectively then they will win - if the Broncos stop the run then Newton will be in for a long day.
    Panthers by 10 is my prediction but I'm a bit afraid that the football gods will somehow make Peyton win this one. Just seems like it's destined to happen. I just don't see any logical way in which it happens unless the Broncos get themselves up a couple of scores early like they did against the Pats. Still don't think that'll be enough with the Panthers offense being so much more dynamic.
    The Broncos won up to 10 games this season they really had no right in winning - there does seem to be elements of destiny and that could get Manning a ring. But the reality is that such things really don't happen. If the Broncos win it will be because the defence plays its lights out and pounds Newton and the RBs all day long.

• Advertisement

Anyway, as for the game, I think it will be similar in effect to the Patriots one and the real battle is between Denvers defence and Carolinas offence. Whoever wins that battle will win in my opinion.
    Denver's offence will still have to put points on the board - the defence isn't going to score 3 TDs.

No matter how good the Broncos defence is Newton and the Panthers are capable of scoring 21 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I agree that Newton will be a threat, but I don't believe Denver should over plan for his legs, he really only seems to do that on designed runs or when things completely break down, he has really turned into a solid and disciplined pocket passer.

Just on the bolded bit though, :P

That's a valid point Newton has got great legs and has developed his awareness in the pocket but I would not be betting on him getting away from Von Miller or Ware, if the Bronco's consistently get pressure on him their defence will get some turnovers. As good as Cam has been he has turned the ball over a lot this season, 14 regular season , that's almost 1 per game and I think Denver will need to get 3 turnovers here to win this game but I wouldn't put it past them.

Also JRG I disagree on Thomas playing well. For me the surprising thing has been his inability to separate. While your saying the drop are because of a lack of zip on the ball if the ball is hitting players in the hands and they are simply not holding on then I don't accept the lack of zip as a reason for the drop. There were far too many passes that hopped off players because they had their eye up field.

Thomas is a gamers and gamers usually come up big on the big occasion and I hope he does it on Sunday but I think Manning goes to Sanders if he's under pressure in this game because Thomas just hasn't been good.

That's a valid point Newton has got great legs and has developed his awareness in the pocket but I would not be betting on him getting away from Von Miller or Ware, if the Bronco's consistently get pressure on him their defence will get some turnovers. As good as Cam has been he has turned the ball over a lot this season, 14 regular season , that's almost 1 per game and I think Denver will need to get 3 turnovers here to win this game but I wouldn't put it past them.

Also JRG I disagree on Thomas playing well. For me the surprising thing has been his inability to separate. While your saying the drop are because of a lack of zip on the ball if the ball is hitting players in the hands and they are simply not holding on then I don't accept the lack of zip as a reason for the drop. There were far too many passes that hopped off players because they had their eye up field.

Thomas is a gamers and gamers usually come up big on the big occasion and I hope he does it on Sunday but I think Manning goes to Sanders if he's under pressure in this game because Thomas just hasn't been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

poldebruin wrote: »

So we can all have a go at you now?
    I dont disagree with that either, but would you expect to be derided for making that comment? People have made comments on here as to why they think they are as good, but to be told they are "rightly treated with derision"?

I too think Denvers D is better. That's my opinion. Do I need to go into details as to why I think they are better? This place is for opinion and debate. Opinions arent facts. Ramming ones own opinions as facts and pretty much telling everyone else their opinion is wrong is not debate.

Nope, apparently only have to do that if you think the Panthers D is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Panthers by at least 3 scores i Reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Being picky - I said 'Pats fans' - not 'all Pats fans' - If I wanted to imply all Pats fans then I would have said 'all Pats fans'

You have written so much it is clear you are forgetting what digs you are taking:
    (It must be a Pats thing - smiley-rolleyes010.gif)

This is clear taring all Pats fans with the same brush because you didn't agree with 1 Pats fan not 4.
    Actually I don't have a problem with a throwaway comment either - as you allude to - I make plenty myself.

You don't have a problem with them but yet you keep throwing it back at a poster. Ok. Your posts give off a different impression.
    The issue I have is when someone comes in and repeats the throwaway comment when evidence has been presented that could refute such an 'opinion'

How silly of me to jump the gun above. But your evidence is YOUR opinion and as much as I agree with some of your opinion in your posts they are not all fact and the other post is entitled to his opinion whether he goes into detail or not whether you agree or not. Getting all bent out of shape about a "throwaway comment is pointless at best.

And where did I say that your comments were nonsense or that you didn't have an interest in the SB. You are taking a general comment and directing it at yourself.

You don't remember saying this? You responded to me with it:
    I would love to debate the merits of both teams. But if someone has no interest in such a debate/discussion then what is the point of posting a nonsense comment.

The funny thing is you say you would love to debate the merits but you have done nothing but force your opinion on people and talk about throwaway comments. I bet you anything had you not done so more would be debating you. I was going to get involved and give my take but decided not to because I know for a fact you would get bent out of shape if I brought up the Panthers D. In fact I I agree with a lot of your posts but I also do think the Panthers Defense is stronger than you think.

Also the end of this quote you mention the nonsense comment bit.

In fact I think I have been quite balanced in my comments on the merits of the SB teams.

Except when someone brings up the Panthers defense. I don't agree that you have been balanced to be honest.

I will say this though that this game will come down to turnovers. If the Panthers can pick off Manning or cause fumbles their offense will finish the Broncos off and it wont matter how good that defense is. The key for Carolina is to keep that Broncos defense on the field and that means shutting down Manning and creating turnovers. The Broncos defense will wear down.

Smart football needed by Manning and that offense and keeping the ball moving and they win this game as that Broncos D will do enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Manning and Newton are two of the most likeable players in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

To someone who finds them likeable.

Most people find them likeable

To be honest I don't see how or why I would dislike either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Manning is one of the greatest regular season QB's ever.

Cam Newton made a mistake when he was a kid at Florida, went to a junior community college after that and then got to finish off his schooling at Auburn and won a national title.

He has been improving every year since he came into the NFL as a no.1 draft pick. He seems like a good guy all around and that little thing he does where he hands the football to a child after every touchdown is a very nice touch. He doesn't get anything for that only maybe a little self-satisfaction that he has made a child happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If you hate those two guys you must hate about 99% of the rest of the league.

Manning is a product of both the media wankathon and hating watching that style of offense. Newton just simply comes across as a tosser.

And really, it's not for you to see how or why. Do you like every NFL player?

Manning is a product of being one of the best QB's to ever play the game and Newton is terrific, plays the game with a smile on his face and has been a revelation for the game this year.

If you cant like these two I'm not sure why you'd be interested in watching the NFL in general, but that's just my opinion! Cant wait for Sunday, should be a cracking game.

Question for the masses:

Where are you watching the NFL this Sunday and why?

I've watched in The Woolshed (uncomfortably full) The Odeon (a bit meh mostly due to the crowd, great venue though) Peader Kearneys (decent although a little warm and bar service was so so) in recent years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

At home because comfy seats, great food, no queues at the bar and no drunken annoying idiots. Well at least less drunken annoying idiots.

adrian522 wrote: »
    At home because comfy seats, great food, no queues at the bar and no drunken annoying idiots. Well at least less drunken annoying idiots.

Yep used to always watch it there myself but managed to calm down in the last few years so I can now watch the games in public without much incident .. apart from that one time ... :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

adrian522 wrote: »

One is all you need :D

Advertisement