Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you want kids and/or marriage?

• 24-09-2013 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

What age are you, and are you hoping for kids and/or marriage in the future?

I'm unsure, myself. I've always wanted kids. But then I think about actually having the responsibility of kids, and I rethink things. :pac:

Marriage, not sure.

You?

Edit: I meant to add a "not sure" option, and now I can't edit the poll. Sorry!

Do you want kids/marriage? 154 votes

I want kids and marriage.
    0% 0 votes
    I want marriage, but no kids.
    69% 107 votes
    I want kids, but no marriage.
    16% 26 votes
    I don't want kids and I don't want to get married.
    13% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not entirely sure if I want toast or Weetabix for my breakfast in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

27, no and nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I struggled for 20 mins just now over whether or not I should set my alarm for 8.56 or 8.59. And you come here asking me what I want to do with kids and shít. What is the world coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I don't want kids and I don't really see the point in getting married. But I'm young and change my mind a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Didn't want either, but in the last year ended up with both. Life is strange like that.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I struggled for 20 mins just now over whether or not I should set my alarm for 8.56 or 8.59. And you come here asking me what I want to do with kids and shít. What is the world coming to.
    Me and you should get married and try for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

1) Deffo but am getting old now don't want to be too old having kids so may end up not having any. :( 2) Sometimes hope I will be, other times lately I think getting married doesn't amount to a whole lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Definite yes on children. Most likely no on marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

marriage is a waste of money, so are children but you could train your children to be your slaves which would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I'm 22, I've already created spawn and I don't know what to think of marriage.

Ericaa wrote: »
    I'm 22, I've already created spawn and I don't know what to think of marriage.

It's the union between two people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

21. The third option, I would want to be in a relationship with the mother but not necessarily married to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Not at the moment. Im up since 6am with one of the feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I'm definitely decided on kids (I want them) having spent the weekend with my niece and nephew. Kids are da bomb. Marriage - I have no interest but if I have to for the sake of the kids I will but I'd like to live in a country where it's not necessary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Got married just over 1.5 years ago. No kids yet but we do have a cat which my wife wants to dress up...DONT JUDGE US, JUST BECAUSE OUR CHILD IS A LITTLE HAIRY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm 29 and am married with a kid - so yes :)

One if the reasons we got married when we did was because we wanted to start a family. I wanted the security if being married first. I wouldn't have intentionally had a baby before we were married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Got married just over 1.5 years ago. No kids yet but we do have a cat which my wife wants to dress up...DONT JUDGE US, JUST BECAUSE OUR CHILD IS A LITTLE HAIRY!!!

Our cat is our other baby. I make sure he knows he'll always be my first baby. We are that sad. I've never dressed him up though but I did put one of the baby's bandana bibs on him the other day and he looked pretty smooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Ulnar

Have 2 minions and due to be married very soon, have the worst case of cold feet though :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

If you asked me this question 5 years ago, I would have laughed in your face, took a long gulp from the whiskey glass, and maybe even have fallen down at some stage...

Now...

it's all so different, amazing how a mindset changes... found the girl I want, hoping to tie the knot in the next couple of years, and I want some minions down the road to do the hoovering and cleaning and what not.

Tis a funny oul life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

nbar12 wrote: »
    marriage is a waste of money, so are children but you could train your children to be your slaves which would be great

How is marriage a waste of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I don't want kids or marriage but I am in my twenties and everyone and their mother seems to be asking me this question these days. I don't think it will be long before my dad starts offering random men cows to marry me instead of the reverse :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm not really into the idea of kids or long term commitment which is unfortunate as I'm married with 2 kids.

Marriage not an option for us here but we are as good as. Have one child already and the target is for 3 more. In fact some sudden dietry changes make me suspect we are pregnant again but I am saying nothing until she tells me. Have to act all surprised and stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

i didnt really want either but i found my fella and i really wanted to get married
    absolutely not on the kids though. im 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Marriage yes, kids fuck no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not really tbh.

I used to think I wanted kids but not marriage, but the older I get the more disgusted I get at the thoughts of dedicating my life to an ungrateful little brat who'll spend my money and melt my head. For me, I don't see any positives to having kids. They're gross and they cost a fortune.

Marriage, I don't know. I'm not as horrified at the thoughts of it as I once was, but considering I can't even commit to a perfume that I wear, I can't see myself ever being ready to commit that much to a man.

25, btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not married an just found out I'm gonna be a dad.

Hope to get married after although it's not a huge deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Always thought I'd want kids and then had one and found out what hard work they are. Have to say I'd wavered on a couple of occasions over the last year on whether I believe I'm up to it but have now adapted and seeing the little fella gives me more pleasure than anything else I've ever done in life. Still hard work and I don't know how I'd have coped in my teens or early 20s with it but I love being a dad and I can't wait for him to get older to get even more value out of him.

Marriage...yes. I'm not yet but I want to give my child(ren) the most secure environment to grow up in. I know it's not for everyone and there are arguments against it but, for me, it's something I need and want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

Kids...9 years ago I said never....9 years ago I found out I was pregnant...

Marriage...more the romantic idea of being his wife & him my hubby, than any other reason...

...Fast forward on life >>>> I am home with a 1.5 year old and 6 months pregnant, 9 year old at school

My opinion on marriage now...I'm a lucky woman if it does eventually happen, as we are the complete opposite of that family on the ad on telly, where 'Kate' has been through 3 jobs, 4 moves and 20 bloody children & she's still 'Kate'...My hubby to be would be the 'Kate'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Tbh I don't think I'm mature enough at the moment for kids and marriage.

I have a 4 year old though that I spend most/all of my spare time with that I absolutely adore.

Life is weird. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

No kids for now, maybe not later... Might change my mind though.

Get married? Hell no.

I don't want to share my room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I will never get married, pointless outdated practice.

The older I get the more I dislike the idea of having kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kids? Definitely.

As long as they're not ginger, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If you' asked me that question in my 20's I'd have said I didn't want either, but I got married when I was 30 after being with my partner for 7 years and we're really happy. As for children, I've known since I was a child that I didn't want kids and that will never change. I'm 40 now, so that ship has almost sailed anyway.

I find it kind of odd, no offence people who have kids late in life, but when people have kids at my age or older it seems a bit odd. My husband's brother in law remarried and has kids younger than his grandchild, that seems to be getting fairly normal nowadays and a girl I knew in my teens who has a 20 year old son just had a baby earlier this year:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I like the idea of marriage and kids but not until im 29/30 i suppose...so another few years of freedom!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you' asked me that question in my 20's I'd have said I didn't want either, but I got married when I was 30 after being with my partner for 7 years and we're really happy. As for children, I've known since I was a child that I didn't want kids and that will never change. I'm 40 now, so that ship has almost sailed anyway.

I find it kind of odd, no offence people who have kids late in life, but when people have kids at my age or older it seems a bit odd. My husband's brother in law remarried and has kids younger than his grandchild, that seems to be getting fairly normal nowadays and a girl I knew in my teens who has a 20 year old son just had a baby earlier this year:eek:

its not fair on the children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

39, no kids, one failed marriage.
    Wanted kids when I was younger, thankfully it never happened, no longer want any.
    Don't think I'd be bothered getting married again either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I used to want neither, but now I'm coming around to the idea of being married with kids more and more.

I think if I'm going to have kids, being married to their father would be better for him in terms of his decision-making rights. It's only fair on him. And I have to give the mammy a day out, being the eldest and all ;)

But I'm only 21 and himself is young too, so who knows?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Steamed Hams

I'm gonna break the status quo here, but I would like kids and a marriage, not just saying that to be hipsterish, I really do want them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Got married when I hit 40. Just decided to give it a whirl. Myself and the present Mrs oh never planned to but glad we did in the end.

As for kids? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Definately would like both.

I adore kids, in saying that I know I'd be nervous/aprehensive about having one but hopefully some day it'll happen.

As for marriage, I'd love to think that I'll meet someone who I'll want to marry, it hasn't happened yet. Personally my preference would be to be married before I have children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

whirlpool wrote: »
    What age are you, and are you hoping for kids and/or marriage in the future?

I'm unsure, myself. I've always wanted kids. But then I think about actually having the responsibility of kids, and I rethink things. :pac:

Marriage, not sure.

You?

Edit: I meant to add a "not sure" option, and now I can't edit the poll. Sorry!

No to both.

I'm 35,never been in any kind of relationship and never want to be-so I could be described as asexual.
    I have plenty of nephews and neices and I love being an uncle-but being a father would require a lot more obviously.
    But then again,who knows what can happen years from now.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I'm gonna break the status quo here, but I would like kids and a marriage, not just saying that to be hipsterish, I really do want them.

How is that hipsterish? Will you make your kids grow beards and wear skinny jeans? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

25 no

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Breaking the pattern here.

25, yes and yes. I'm socially conservative and traditional anyway but the way I see it, I want to have a few kids and raise them. I see that as what I want to do in life. I want to raise them, teach them etc. I would derive a lot of joy from that I think despite the HUGE amount of work that it would take.

With regards to marriage, I would like to do that too. Being from a 'broken' household, I see a marriage as a strong backbone to a strong household and a more stable environment for the kids to thrive in. There are exceptions of course and it's just my opinion though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

How in the **** does one third of the vote not want kids? :confused: I couldn't name you one person I know that doesn't want them eventually. Indeed I would find any woman who didn't want any to be a bit cold in all truth.

I don't want kids within the next 8 or so years mind, too much left to do, but I would hate to die alone in my old years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I am married with kids and can reccommend both.

Thing is, there are drawbacks to getting married and having kids - they cost a lot and constrain your liberty.

But the alternative - not getting married and not having kids....or, in fact, choosing both of these things is a way of life, in my estimation that is suitable for quite few people. It does suit some people, but only a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Married, kids, separated, new relationship, more kids, divorced, second marriage. In that order. :D

Kids are great. Just don't let them do competitive swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

How in the **** does one third of the vote not want kids? :confused: I couldn't name you one person I know that doesn't want them eventually. Indeed I would find any woman who didn't want any to be a bit cold in all truth.

I don't want kids within the next 8 or so years mind, too much left to do, but I would hate to die alone in my old years.

I don't think it's fair to say a women is cold if she chooses not to have children tbh, some women are just not maternal, for whatever reason or none at all.
    Also if your main reason to wanting children is just so you won't die alone, that actually sounds quite selfish.
    Having children does not mean that you won't die alone anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement