Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you make jambons?

Options
  • 08-01-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

how would you go about making jambons like the ones you can buy in supervalu or centra up at the hot food section?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

mengele wrote: »
    how would you go about making jambons like the ones you can buy in supervalu or centra up at the hot food section?

Ive tried but they are not near as good, some roll out pastry, I just cut out a square and then put it chopped up bacon and grated cheese, fold over pastry and bake in oven - as I said doesn't taste near as good
    I just buy the frozen 2 pack in dunnes - they are less than €2 & so tasty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd buy puff pastry, make a very cheesy cheese sauce, mix tiny diced ham in there and put a dollop on top of a square of puff with the edges pinched up, then into the oven. It's not pure cheese on top and I think that's where it goes wrong in Jambon-tributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ham, Emmental cheese and Bechamel sauce is what they are composed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ham, Emmental cheese and Bechamel sauce is what they are composed of.

Mornay sauce if one's to be pedantic, which is bechamel with cheese added to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

duploelabs wrote: »
    Mornay sauce if one's to be pedantic, which is bechamel with cheese added to it

Mornay has egg yolk too, so surely it's just a cheese sauce if you wanted to be pedantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Mornay has egg yolk too, so surely it's just a cheese sauce if you wanted to be pedantic.

It's a mornay sauce in a jambon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's a mornay sauce in a jambon

Can't be if it's white sauce with cheese as you corrected the person before incorrectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I remembered this being discussed quite recently in the forum and found the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95649924

The jambons in the last post look really good :)

Larousse says that Mornay is Bechamel with Egg Yolks and Gruyére cheese specifically.
    I am stepping aside from Pedantics and going to attempt making these today.:)
    Mustard will also feature in my sauce, I think you need some kind of piquancy.

Well I made them today, cheated with a box of prerolled flaky pastry.
    I made the sauce and added a 1/2tsp of mild mustard to it, I used Polish beer mustard that comes in a mini stein glass.
    Probably a cup of milk ~200ml and a heaped teaspoon of flour and a shake of white pepper.
    This wasn't enough for the 12 Jambons probably twice the amount would have been better.
    I had no ham so used Campofrio bacon and some unknown cheese with holes in it, left after xmas, sliced and chopped finely and sprinkled over
    Less salty meat would have been better but they were all devoured so I have no pics!

The squares you make need to have the corners folded in to the centre and pinched for half the length to make a sealed container for the sauce/meat/cheese mix.
    Think of the eggs hatching the face huggers in Alien and thats the type of effect you are looking to emulate.
    1556_alien_egg_launching_facehugger_glow.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Made one for lunch today using Lidl pastry (a touch sweet for this for my taste), a chopped up rasher, cheddar, and half the yolk of a duck egg.

It was so tasty I wish I'd made a bunch of them. Do you think they'd cook from frozen?

photo_zps92omukve.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kylith wrote: »
    Made one for lunch today using Lidl pastry (a touch sweet for this for my taste), a chopped up rasher, cheddar, and half the yolk of a duck egg.

It was so tasty I wish I'd made a bunch of them. Do you think they'd cook from frozen?

I saw frozen ones in Aldi today and they're cooked from frozen.

Advertisement