Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Sully wrote: »
    That's something I would love to see an answer for. In some setups (not evision related) houses can watch whatever is on the main box in any other room. You just tune in the channel. We have it here at home, but have no magic eye or multi room setup. Whatever way the box is setup, I can tune in the 'Sky' Channel on any other TV in the house. I have never fully understood how it works.

For sky its easy enough set up - basically cable out of back of sky box to a distribution box and cable from that box to various tvs in the house. (An easy diy for me who wouldn't be great at diy!!)

Not having a magic eye just means you cant change the sky channel from the other rooms. In a family situation might be handy that control of the sky box stays in the main room.

Do you have evision?
    Still wondering is it possible to do something similar with evision

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As eVision boxes only have HDMI out, it won't be possible to do a free "multiroom" with eVision.

This is a definite drawback of eVision (along with many others).

With Sky, you can "mirror" the output of your Sky box to a second, third, etc. TV

UPC has the 17 basic analogue channels (not available in Cork) that can be used as a free multiroom in a second room.

The UPC Horizon box also has the ability to stream channels to a laptop or tablet.

I think Eircom will have to do something similar to Horizon and allow free streaming to a laptop or tablet to improve the competitiveness of eVision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

bk wrote: »
    As eVision boxes only have HDMI out, it won't be possible to do a free "multiroom" with eVision.

With Sky, you can "mirror" the output of your Sky box to a second, third, etc. TV

UPC has the 17 basic analogue channels (not available in Cork) that can be used as a free multiroom in a second room.

The UPC Horizon box also has the ability to stream channels to a laptop or tablet.

I think Eircom will have to do something similar to Horizon and allow free streaming to a laptop or tablet to improve the competitiveness of eVision.

Wow you love bashing eVision. We realise that it may not be all singing and dancing and it's not for you but give it a break.

On another note. Is there any pictures or video of the actual eVision box and UI? Can someone who has it clarify some questions and queries?

Is there full 7 day EPG for all channels?
    Is there a series record function?
    What connections are around the back of the box?
    Is the box easily movable (i.e. not tied to a cable feed but to a network connection through the homeplugs)

Edit: Found some stuff on the website but still interested in peoples opinion/details on the box and the ease of use etc of things like series record etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Is there full 7 day EPG for all channels?
    Yes.
    Is there a series record function?
    Yes. I tried it once and it didn't work. Possibly operator error, but definitely not one of those things that just works, intuitively.
    Is the box easily movable (i.e. not tied to a cable feed but to a network connection through the homeplugs)
    Yes -- anywhere you can plug a homeplug you can put the box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wow you love bashing eVision. We realise that it may not be all singing and dancing and it's not for you but give it a break.

MOD WARNING: I'll remind you the first rule of boards is to attack the post, not the poster.

I dont think Sky are too keen on people having free multi room sets up either. Eircom have obviously built a box to try to stop this so I dont see how its a drawback.

There are drawbacks to everything but IMHO eVision has its strenghts and weaknesses just like everything else
    For the typical user all they want is a TV service in the room they have their main TV and this box will do that job without issue. It will record, series link, show Irish and UK TV, has no set up fee, is moveable and all for a good price and all on one remote control.

I really dont get all the anti eVision sentiments that are going on in this and other threads. Its a basic service at a good price point for many and is a good addition to the TV market place.
    It may not suit everyone but what will?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

I dont think Sky are too keen on people having free multi room sets up either. Eircom have obviously built a box to try to stop this so I dont see how its a drawback.

There are drawbacks to everything but IMHO eVision has its strenghts and weaknesses just like everything else
    For the typical user all they want is a TV service in the room they have their main TV and this box will do that job without issue. It will record, series link, show Irish and UK TV, has no set up fee, is moveable and all for a good price and all on one remote control.

I really dont get all the anti eVision sentiments that are going on in this and other threads. Its a basic service at a good price point for many and is a good addition to the TV market place.

Thanks guys for the clarification.

Ya exactly evision seems good if it suits the household.
    Our house for example used to having sky in 3 different rooms so evision wouldn't work

Just to be clear what I am talking about is not free multiroom - if you want multiroom you pay extra to sky or what ever provider.
    What I have is "mirror" channels in the other room - dont see how sky are not keen on this as their box provides for the option.

Maybe I misinterpreting but anything sky aren't keen on they simply dont allow. IE They massive organisation and as a customer you can either do something or you can. (not like friends where frowned upon rather against the rules!! :-) :-) )

Maybe my post wasnt clear and it suggested that I was trying to get something that I shouldn't from sky - this is not the case I am just using a feature of the sky service and if I was to get tv service from a different provider I was just checking would I be able to get a similar set up.
    (hope that clarifies why it might be a drawback for some people)

Well my own personal opinion is that it is a very poor service, with a limited range of channels, limited features and relatively bad value for money.

It really isn't a good price point when you factor in that it requires the overly expensive Eircom eFibre product in the first place.

It may improve in the future, but as it stands now, it is of little benefit to the majority of people and is a very disappointing product.

I want to see more competition in the TV and Broadband market, but this really isn't it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well my own personal opinion is that it is a very poor service, with a limited range of channels, limited features and relatively bad value for money.

It really isn't a good price point when you factor in that it requires the overly expensive Eircom eFibre product in the first place.

It may improve in the future, but as it stands now, it is of little benefit to the majority of people and is a very disappointing product.

I want to see more competition in the TV and Broadband market, but this really isn't it.

€10 isn't overpriced IMO.

• Advertisement

My personal opinion is that it's good value for a basic service and not a bad product at all . It would work out 7 euro cheaper a month than what I would pay for broadband phone and sky TV basic package and that's excluding any free months on offer at the moment. It has all the services like series record and record 2 channels etc and a full epg unlike my current free to air. The UI seems good and Its a free installation too.
    It's great to see that it may shake up the market so I say bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I've nothing against the service and got to try it out for a few days earlier this month. I can see how it might be useful to someone who can't put up an Aerial or Satellite dish. It's EPG is nice and easy enough to use but the picture quality is very poor.

Where I was (Letterkenny) the house could also get Freeview lite from across the border. Switching between the eircom picture and the Aerial was like chalk and cheese. The only HD services off the Aerial were RTE1 and 2, but comparing the old RTE1 SD picture which is still on air with the eircom picture made the RTE1 SD picture look good.

There's not enough channels on the basic Service and no radio services. (well we couldn't find any radio services) There was better choice off the aerial. Obviously most the country can't get freeview, but a Free satellite system with a aerial will give you almost all the same stations for free with another 30 decent ones thrown in.

Cheeky stuff like charging extra for CNN when it's free elsewhere isn't going to win it friends either.

After two days the friends I were staying with got the service turned off (7 day trial) and they won't be getting it. Now they wanted a little extra TV but this was too much for too little.

I can't see the service going away, but it's not going to set the world alight either. Anyone who can should use a Freesat/saorview system. Lots more stations, better picture quality and it saves you 120 euro a year.

My personal opinion is that it's good value for a basic service and not a bad product at all . It would work out 7 euro cheaper a month than what I would pay for broadband phone and sky TV basic package and that's excluding any free months on offer at the moment. It has all the services like series record and record 2 channels etc and a full epg unlike my current free to air. The UI seems good and Its a free installation too.
    It's great to see that it may shake up the market so I say bring it on!

The 7 day EPG and the recording facility are useful. But if you've a dish already up you'd be better off getting a freesat box with a HDD from the UK. You save 300 euro approx if the box lasted 5 year.

Sully wrote: »
    €10 isn't overpriced IMO.

But here is the thing, you have to pay for the overly expensive Eircom eFibre service in the first place.

It is €60 for eFibre + eVision.

By comparison, Vodafone 70mb DSL is just €35 per month, so really you are paying an extra €25 a month to get a poor line up of TV channels.

A UPC Broadband + TV bundle at €60 or

Vodafone 70mb BB + Sky Essential Bundle at €63 or

Vodafone 70mb BB + Freesat/FTA/Saorview * at €35

all offer far better value for money IMO.

* Obviously there is a once off up front cost for Freesat/FTA/Saorview that depends on what you currently have, but will easily pay itself back within 1 to 12 months.

Really the only people who can benefit from eVision are those living in apartments that can't get UPC and can't put up a satellite dish. Really that is an incredibly small number of people.

I love seeing more competition in the TV and Broadband market, but so far eVision is a very poor entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Where I was (Letterkenny) the house could also get Freeview lite from across the border. Switching between the eircom picture and the Aerial was like chalk and cheese. The only HD services off the Aerial were RTE1 and 2, but comparing the old RTE1 SD picture which is still on air with the eircom picture made the RTE1 SD picture look good.

Not sure I agree - can't say now with RTE 1 being HD obviously on saorview but definitely TV3 and TG4 look better on eVision than on saorview.
    Cheeky stuff like charging extra for CNN when it's free elsewhere isn't going to win it friends either.

Definitely agree on this though.

Reason I got it was it was free and I get BT Sports for 16 euro - to get the same with sky would cost me basic sub (which is what these days 27?) + BT Sports addon which I have no idea how much it is.

I have freesat so don't notice the loss of any channels but rather the gain of Sports and others like which I didn't have.

I am very happy with what I am getting for the cost - will I keep it when my contract expires well I guess that all depends on how it evolves and what the market looks like when that time comes.

The 7 day EPG and the recording facility are useful. But if you've a dish already up you'd be better off getting a freesat box with a HDD from the UK. You save 300 euro approx if the box lasted 5 year.

Still need Irish channels
    But here is the thing, you have to pay for the overly expensive Eircom eFibre service in the first place.

It is €60 for eFibre + eVision.

By comparison, Vodafone 70mb DSL is just €35 per month, so really you are paying an extra €25 a month to get a poor line up of TV channels.

A UPC Broadband + TV bundle at €60 or

Vodafone 70mb BB + Sky Essential Bundle at €63 or

Vodafone 70mb BB + Freesat/FTA/Saorview * at €35

all offer far better value for money IMO.

* Obviously there is a once off up front cost for Freesat/FTA/Saorview that depends on what you currently have, but will easily pay itself back within 1 to 12 months.

Really the only people who can benefit from eVision are those living in apartments that can't get UPC and can't put up a satellite dish. Really that is an incredibly small number of people.

I love seeing more competition in the TV and Broadband market, but so far eVision is a very poor entry.

Not a good comparison
    The Vodafone package you outline has no phone charges where as the Eircom bundle includes Off Peak calls and 30 mins to mobile
    So a Comparable Vodafone package is €40 (and that’s just 100 mins calls) throw on Sky basic TV package and you are looking at €68 so that’s €8 per month more expensive
    Believe you me 100 mins would not suffice in my house as the missues wants to be able to natter to her mother/sister/friends for at least an hour every night!!

The best UPC bundle I can see is also €60 and that’s for 50mbps down and 5mbps up and off peak phone so very similar to eVision (I realize more channels on UPC but remember in my case as an example I cannot get UPC broadband)

You must remember people are used to Sky and UPC and all the nice and easy layouts, recording facilities etc etc. many people will not (even though it may be the best and cheapest in the long run) install a Freesat box a Saorview box, have 2 remotes and go through the hassle of trying to figure it all out. Its fine for the more tech minded to be downloading stuff and streaming it to TVs around the house but for Joe Bloggs that wants to watch Ear to the Ground on RTE and record the Eastenders via series link on BBC then a straight forward Sky+ style box is the way to go and what people are used to so eVision falls in to that category

Peoples will see the eVision advertising TV for €10 and although there wont be a queue out the door to get it I believe there will be a decent take up. If people see a potential hassle free bargain then they will take it – especially as they will view it as €18 cheaper than a Sky basic TV (don’t jump down my neck as I know that’s not the true cost but that’s how peoples minds work)

Take an example I am aware of – the house has Sky installed and in the main TV room where its used mainly by the man of the house for Sky sports etc etc. House has Eircom eFibre already and they want another TV to be able to watch / record things like Fair City/kids TV etc. and not to have to sit and watch golf and rugby all day. They currently have a feed going to the 2nd TV with a magic eye so can only watch whats on the main box
    The options are to get Sky to install multiroom at €15 per month extra or to get the eVision box installed – again the eVision box has advantages in that there is the recordable function and it also has the ability to be moved to another room that the family are doing up for the kids at the moment. They currently pay €50 a month for eFibre (yes it is expensive!) and for the extra €10 they get the eVision box. Sky has its advantages of course but its swings and roundabouts as with everything

• Advertisement

no radio services.
    This is the only bit I've found I miss, when compared to the basic UPC package I had before.

frankz wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the clarification.

Ya exactly evision seems good if it suits the household.
    Our house for example used to having sky in 3 different rooms so evision wouldn't work

Just to be clear what I am talking about is not free multiroom - if you want multiroom you pay extra to sky or what ever provider.
    What I have is "mirror" channels in the other room - dont see how sky are not keen on this as their box provides for the option.

Maybe I misinterpreting but anything sky aren't keen on they simply dont allow. IE They massive organisation and as a customer you can either do something or you can. (not like friends where frowned upon rather against the rules!! :-) :-) )

Maybe my post wasnt clear and it suggested that I was trying to get something that I shouldn't from sky - this is not the case I am just using a feature of the sky service and if I was to get tv service from a different provider I was just checking would I be able to get a similar set up.
    (hope that clarifies why it might be a drawback for some people)

Yes I know exactly what you are trying to do - My parents have the same set up.
    I think the new Sky boxes have removed the RF output and you need to purchase an io-link to get this working (its about £25 Sterling for the io-link gadget) I think this is a push to eradicate magic eye users and force people on to multi-room packages

The Vodafone package you outline has no phone charges where as the Eircom bundle includes Off Peak calls and 30 mins to mobile

True and it seems that matters to you, which is totally fair.

However I don't think it would matter to many if not most people. I know a lot of people who don't even have a landline phone plugged in any more.

With Tesco Mobile offering unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines, texts and 1GB of data for just €15, many people don't want to pay for a landline.

So perfect for them, though I readily admit that might suit you.

However even at €8 extra per month, I would argue that it might still represent better value for money for you. The advantages are:

- You get the full 70mb/s of the Vodafone, when you sign up to eVision your Broadband is automatically dropped to a 50mb/s stable profile and then in addition each stream you watch uses up 2.5mb/s SD and 10mb/s HD. Obviously if you get TV from Sky, non of this will happen.
    - You get a lot more channels with Sky, including Sky 1, Atlantic, News, News Sports and 100's of FTA channels.
    - You get a Sky box which is unarguably the easiest to use TV box out there.
    - You get free "mirroring" multiroom
    - You own the box, so if you cancel the subscription after 12 months, you continue to get 200 channels via Freesat from Sky.

I certainly think all that is worth €3 extra and maybe worth €8
    The best UPC bundle I can see is also €60 and that’s for 50mbps down and 5mbps up and off peak phone so very similar to eVision (I realize more channels on UPC but remember in my case as an example I cannot get UPC broadband)

Yes the most comparable bundle is also €60, but there are many advantages to the UPC bundle:

- UPC is 50mb/s, but so is eVision, Eircom drop your speed to "upto" 50mb/s on a stable profile when you move to eVision. Also Eircoms speed is dependent on distance, it can go as low as 18mb/s if you are far from the cab and when you use the TV service you are using between 2.5 and 10mb/s per stream. So an Eircom customer could end up having as little as 10mb/s usable broadband speed.

Non of this happens with UPC, you normally get the full 50mb/s

- UPC has a lot more channels including the Sky 1, 2, News, Sports News, etc. UTV, ITV2, etc.
    - UPC includes 5 HD channels for free (costs an extra €10 for the same from eVision).
    - UPC includes the 17 free analogue channels that can be used as a "free" multiroom in a second room.

Obviously not of interest to you as you can't get UPC, but if you can, this represents much better value for money IMO.
    You must remember people are used to Sky and UPC and all the nice and easy layouts, recording facilities etc etc. many people will not (even though it may be the best and cheapest in the long run) install a Freesat box a Saorview box, have 2 remotes and go through the hassle of trying to figure it all out. Its fine for the more tech minded to be downloading stuff and streaming it to TVs around the house but for Joe Bloggs that wants to watch Ear to the Ground on RTE and record the Eastenders via series link on BBC then a straight forward Sky+ style box is the way to go and what people are used to so eVision falls in to that category

Well if you aren't interested in the Irish channels, then Freesat with a Freesat+ is just as easy to use as a Sky box, with recording and series link included. There literally is no difference.

It only gets a little more complicated if you also definitely want the Irish channels. Then you have to have two remotes.

However you certainly don't have to be a techy to do that, my 70+ parents do it!! It is actually very simple for them, they just know to use the TV remote to watch the Irish channels and the Freesat remote to watch English channels and record.

I readily admit that if you want the Irish channels, it isn't as easy as a Sky/UPC setup, but given the literally €100's you'll be saving per year, it can be well worth a little effort.
    Peoples will see the eVision advertising TV for €10 and although there wont be a queue out the door to get it I believe there will be a decent take up. If people see a potential hassle free bargain then they will take it – especially as they will view it as €18 cheaper than a Sky basic TV (don’t jump down my neck as I know that’s not the true cost but that’s how peoples minds work)

Sorry, I don't mean to jump down your throat, but this is what bothers me so much about all this.

This isn't some exciting new product like BTVision in the UK or Free in France, this is just the same old Eircom dirty tricks!

Bring out a pretty poor product and then sell it to people who don't know better with slick and confusing marketing. This does little to improve competition IMO.
    Take an example I am aware of – the house has Sky installed and in the main TV room where its used mainly by the man of the house for Sky sports etc etc. House has Eircom eFibre already and they want another TV to be able to watch / record things like Fair City/kids TV etc. and not to have to sit and watch golf and rugby all day. They currently have a feed going to the 2nd TV with a magic eye so can only watch whats on the main box
    The options are to get Sky to install multiroom at €15 per month extra or to get the eVision box installed – again the eVision box has advantages in that there is the recordable function and it also has the ability to be moved to another room that the family are doing up for the kids at the moment. They currently pay €50 a month for eFibre (yes it is expensive!) and for the extra €10 they get the eVision box. Sky has its advantages of course but its swings and roundabouts as with everything

First of all I would question, do they really need recording abaility in the second room, the Sky box in the main room can do that.

Anyway, they have a two more options.

They could run two more cables from the Sky dish to the second room and install a Freesat box there.

They could either run the cables themselves, really easy job, or pay an installer to do it. A Freesat box is €100 and a Freesat+ box is €220.

So depending on what they want and their DIY skills, it pays itself back in one to three years and gives far more channels then eVision.

Had they went with Vodafone instead of Eircom eFibre in the first place, it would be paid back in half that time.

Alternatively if all they want is Faircity and kids stuff, then perhaps a Saorview box with rabbit ears will give them that.

However I don't think it would matter to many if not most people. I know a lot of people who don't even have a landline phone plugged in any more.

I know a lot of people that continue to have landlines for the very purpose of calling each other in the evenings etc - different folks different strokes. I would imagine the younger population is veering toward moblie but there is a hugh chunk that have a landline
    With Tesco Mobile offering unlimited calls to mobiles and landlines, texts and 1GB of data for just €15, many people don't want to pay for a landline.
    Nice find can you post a link? Again this is €15 extra on top of the other stuff so its becoming more expensive again for a lot of people.
    Also Eircoms speed is dependent on distance, it can go as low as 18mb/s if you are far from the cab

Same as any other fibre provider bar UPC

Well if you aren't interested in the Irish channels, then Freesat with a Freesat+ is just as easy to use as a Sky box, with recording and series link included. There literally is no difference.......
    I readily admit that if you want the Irish channels, it isn't as easy as a Sky/UPC or eVision setup, .......

Corrected that for you :D

First of all I would question, do they really need recording abaility in the second room, the Sky box in the main room can do that.
    They would like to be able to record I would imagine
    They could run two more cables from the Sky dish to the second room and install a Freesat box there.

They could either run the cables themselves, really easy job, or pay an installer to do it. A Freesat box is €100 and a Freesat+ box is €220.
    No Irish channels? and TBH not every family can afford to shell out €220 for a freesat box and also they would need a new LNB, a Saorview box and antenna all the cables etc etc when they could get it for €10 a month extra on their current bill. After 18 months they will have paid €120 for the TV portion at that stage if they dont find its suitable give it back and have a look at the other options available.

Look its really a case of horses for courses
    It suits a hell of a lot of people to now have 4 options of getting Irish and UK TV
    It’s a great start to what hopefully will become a real incentive for a good bit of price and spec wars between the providers as for too long Sky have been screwing a lot of people.

I know a lot of people that continue to have landlines for the very purpose of calling each other in the evenings etc - different folks different strokes. I would imagine the younger population is veering toward moblie but there is a hugh chunk that have a landline

Actually as of 2011 only 64% of Irish homes had a fixed phone. One of the lowest rates in Europe. By now I expect it is even lower.

If it wasn't for the need to have a landline for DSL, I think landlines would be totally dead now, specially since the government got rid of free landlines for the elderly.

Of course some people still have and use them, specially the older generation, but I think that is down to not knowing about great mobile phones deals like Tesco Mobile.
    Nice find can you post a link? Again this is €15 extra on top of the other stuff so its becoming more expensive again for a lot of people.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/conductyourplan.aspx

Register your clubcard and top up by €15 per month for unlimited mobile and landline calls. You then still have the €15 credit that you can spend in different ways, I spend it on a free texts bundle for €10 and 1GB of data for €5.

As for your second point, but who doesn't have a mobile already and who isn't already spending €10 to €20 per month on it? So really it is just thinking about the overall who of both wired, wireless and TV services to get the best deal.

Same as any other fibre provider bar UPC

Yes, but if you go for Vodafone + Sky Satellite, you won't get the automatic 25% speed decrease that you get by going eVision.

They would like to be able to record I would imagine

Maybe this family does, but in my experience, I would find that unusual.

Most people seem to be just happy with being able to watch TV in the second room, they usually aren't too bothered about recording (if it can be done in the main room, where you can then watch your recorded show later) or even the Irish channels. As you say they are usually just looking for something to watch while someone else is watching the sports.

No Irish channels? and TBH not every family can afford to shell out €220 for a freesat box and also they would need a new LNB, a Saorview box and antenna all the cables etc etc when they could get it for €10 a month extra on their current bill. After 18 months they will have paid €120 for the TV portion at that stage if they dont find its suitable give it back and have a look at the other options available.

Yup, no Irish channels, but usually not a big deal for a second room. You can always use Saorview with rabbit ears if the Irish channels are a big deal.

No, Freesat doesn't require a new LNB, you said they already had Sky+. Sky+ always comes with a quad LNB, so you can add either two multirooms or one extra Sky+/Freesat+ box, without replacing the LNB.

Cable is cheap.

It really isn't €10 per month extra, it is €20 to €25 per month extra if they had shopped around in the first place and gotten Vodafone instead of Eircom eFibre.

• Advertisement

Actually as of 2011 only 64% of Irish homes had a fixed phone. One of the lowest rates in Europe. By now I expect it is even lower.
    so almost 2 out of 3 homes. I wouldn't call myself old but I think I know of one of my friends that has no landline and he uses wireless broadband so doesn't need the landline
    As for your second point, but who doesn't have a mobile already and who isn't already spending €10 to €20 per month on it? So really it is just thinking about the overall who of both wired, wireless and TV services to get the best deal.
    Here is another deal for you to mull over https://www.eircom.net/mobilebundles/productdetails?b=1 add in evision and it comes to a nice round €70 per month. For someone currently paying as example €40 to Vodafone for Broadband/home phone €27 or 28 to Sky for TV (not Sky+ may I add) and the bones of €15 to 20 for mobile phone this nice little package will save you a minimum of €12 per month. Perfect for a light user with minimum (if any) financial upfront layout

Yup, no Irish channels, but usually not a big deal for a second room. You can always use Saorview with rabbit ears if the Irish channels are a big deal.

Cable is cheap.

Yes cable is cheap but if you don't like drilling holes in walls and doing it yourself then its cost to pay someone to do it. And to most Irish folk that I know RTE and the Irish channels are important to them. Finally I struggle to get a good Saroview signal with a rabbits ears on a spare TV - RTE1 is dodgy during certain weather conditions so a sweeping statement like 'you can always use Saorview with rabbit ears' just isnt true.
    No, Freesat doesn't require a new LNB, you said they already had Sky+. Sky+ always comes with a quad LNB, so you can add either two multirooms or one extra Sky+/Freesat+ box, without replacing the LNB.

I dont think I said they had Sky+ but if I did then I am wrong. In fact they dont even have a HD box but have had Sky for as long as I can remember. they have lived out of the country for a few years and took the old box with them on their travels and since returning to Ireland just havnt bothered to upgrade. I might pop around to their house later but I would imagine its an old single LNB.

I dont know why I am defending a product that I don't even have or will more than likely never get as its not currently suitable to my needs but it is pretty annoying when some people have an obvious lack of respect for other peoples choices and situations. Again I fully understand this is not going to suit everyone but please don't shoot it down at every opportunity as it really is a good option for some people.

Here is another deal for you to mull over https://www.eircom.net/mobilebundles/productdetails?b=1 add in evision and it comes to a nice round €70 per month. For someone currently paying as example €40 to Vodafone for Broadband/home phone €27 or 28 to Sky for TV (not Sky+ may I add) and the bones of €15 to 20 for mobile phone this nice little package will save you a minimum of €12 per month. Perfect for a light user with minimum (if any) financial upfront layout

The mobile only gives you 150 minutes to mobiles, 150 texts and 500mb of data.

The eFibre has a 30GB cap!!! Which is dreadful and far too small IMO.

I think a better value deals would be:

UPC BB 30GB cap + TV + Tesco Mobile for €68

UPC BB Unlimited + TV + Tesco Mobile for €75

Vodafone BB + Sky TV + Tesco Mobile for €78

All of these deals would give you unlimited calls and texts and 1GB on your mobile, so much better value for money there.

All give you far more TV channels and features.

The second two give you unlimited wired internet.
    I dont know why I am defending a product that I don't even have or will more than likely never get as its not currently suitable to my needs but it is pretty annoying when some people have an obvious lack of respect for other peoples choices and situations. Again I fully understand this is not going to suit everyone but please don't shoot it down at every opportunity as it really is a good option for some people.

I really don't have a lack of respect for other peoples choices.

My problem with eVision is that I think it is a very poor product and that Eircom are fooling people into getting it with dodgy marketing. The same Eircom has always done.

All I'm doing is pointing out the various alternatives that are much better value for money IMO and pointing out the downsides of eVision. In the hope that a few less people end up getting suckered into eVision and that perhaps then Eircom will be forced to improving their offering *.

* I think if they scrapped the extra bundle and HD bundle and integrated all those channels into the €10 basic bundle it would start to look a little better, though still inferior to UPC/Sky, they really need to add the basic Sky channels and UTV/ITV too.

When Eircom rolls out Vectoring, it should hopefully also resolve some of the BB speed problems.

However with Vodafone likely to launch their own eVision product in the next 6 months and Sky likely to also enter the VDSL market and likely to do some sort of bundle with Sky Sat, I wouldn't be recommending anyone to be rushing into an 18 month deal with Eircom. Things are going to be changing fast over the next few months.

Exciting times :)

I really don't have a lack of respect for other peoples choices ... a few less people end up getting suckered into eVision
    You respect the suckers. Gotcha. ;)

As has been pointed out, eVision just suits some people's circumstances. Whether there are enough of us to make the product viable long-term is up to the market. I don't claim that my TV and telecom needs are in any way those of the majority, but eVision is the best option for me and none of the alternatives you've presented are convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

So where do I start my install got put in today. So the guy arrived and it all went down hill asked how I wanted it set up and I explained the phone line is in the hall at the front door so the router must go there and I said I'd like my evision box in the main bedroom.

So he got the stuff and brought in the home plugs the router was plugged into the power socket at phone line. He then tyres to plug in the home plug and it wouldn't fit as basically the phone socket was in the way. So he used a extension lead and left everything in the corner of the hall on the floor it looked like a big pill of junk to be honest a disgrace. Next on up to the bedroom installed the box and home plug hear no issue really I could tidy this myself.

Box installed all job closed off and he sets up the box and it gives a error 400 the box doesn't work. It's all connected correctly but it just says contact customer care error 400 so this goes on for 30 mins and he has to ring Eircom customer care and stay in the wye like every one else.

They gut finally answers and says it should be working in Afew mins just need to activate and eircom will call me back.

It's now 9.30 I've no tv stations seem as I pulled out the satellite box and the box is still giving me a error 400 and no tv. The engineer firstly shouldn't of left without the service working it's a joke from the start any body know where to turn or what to do think il pull the whole lot out

burke027 wrote: »
    So he got the stuff and brought in the home plugs the router was plugged into the power socket at phone line. He then tyres to plug in the home plug and it wouldn't fit as basically the phone socket was in the way. So he used a extension lead and left everything in the corner of the hall on the floor it looked like a big pill of junk to be honest a disgrace.

I dont think Homeplugs work too well attached to an extension lead if its one of the 4 gang ones especially.

Error 400 can be caused by unstable or poor internet connections where the server cant speak to your PC (or box in your case) properly so it throws an error 400.

Can you try the homeplug in another socket or remove the extension lead?

Hi I've ruled out the home plugs by hard wiring it to the router still the exact same. One final thing is my speed test is only showing about 39meg down is this about the average speed or should I be getting more

my speed test is only showing about 39meg down is this about the average speed or should I be getting more
    If you're on the 50Mb package with eVision that's what you get.

Hi I've ruled out the home plugs by hard wiring it to the router still the exact same. One final thing is my speed test is only showing about 39meg down is this about the average speed or should I be getting more

Might be a dodgy box in that case - cant communicate with Eircoms servers causing the 400 error.
    What have customer services advised?
    Have you tried the Eircom Talk to forum?
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

I've spoke to there customer service twice yesterday and two different excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 15 choakem

Questions from those that have this service..

I am currently an efibre customer and I am considering switching from Sky to this new service...

Can I stream a channel to my tablet or apple device whilst watching a different channel on my TV?

I spend weekends at my partners house. Can I take this box with me and watch it? She has 20 Mb download but its not Efibre.... Will this work?

thanks for any input...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

choakem wrote: »
    Questions from those that have this service..

I am currently an efibre customer and I am considering switching from Sky to this new service...

Can I stream a channel to my tablet or apple device whilst watching a different channel on my TV?

I spend weekends at my partners house. Can I take this box with me and watch it? She has 20 Mb download but its not Efibre.... Will this work?

thanks for any input...

They don't have a service where you can watch evision on a tablet / phone. Sky & UPC only do that, with UPC restricted to within the house.

Good question re: moving the box, but I would suspect it has to be on the fibre network and somehow the box is registered to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 choakem

Thanks Sully,

Can anyone confirm for definite if the box is indeed limited to your efibre connection?

Is it linked to your IP address(unlikely) - or maybe your phone number?

Would be interested!!

I'm nearly positive the box and modem are tied. The installation engineer had to phone HQ to activate the TV signal once he had the broadband running and the connections all in place.

It definitely won't work in an non-eFibre house and as BeerNut says I expect it is tied to your modem/line and therefore can't be taken outside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

my efibre modem has several usb ports on it , can this be used for streaming?

my efibre modem has several usb ports on it , can this be used for streaming?

How would you stream to a usb port? Do you mean playing through a usb drive? If so then no - apparently it was going to be implemented, was pulled and there are no plans to implement it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

afaik the efibre modem has no streaming capabilities. I actually asked an Eircom engineer friend of mine this last night...he doesn't think it does.

still no utv/itv or sky channels e.g sky 1 / living etc

• Advertisement

still no utv/itv or sky channels e.g sky 1 / living etc

true but there would be very little I would have ever watched on sky 1 / living etc so that would not bother me. Do agree that they have to add ITV at some point though and sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Sky sports news would be great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

They can add a few HD channels but wait for the complaints about the corresponding drop in their broadband speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

Hi everyone,
    Just like to go back to an original question that was being discussed on this post as it seems to have gone off topic slightly.

My parents have just switched from Sky to Evision have asked me to have a look at something for them.

Originally with the Sky setup they they where able to watch the same sky channel on 3 tvs simultaneously throughout the house and control them on magic sky eye thingys on all tellys with the use of a pass through distribution amp box to boost the signal to the other tellys and allow magic eye signal back to the single sky box to change channel). Just to confirm they DID NOT Sky Multiroom.

Now with E vision they have had to get a a second multiroom box for an extra 5 euro a month. They want me to have a look at using the multiroom box on a TV in another Bedroom (which is handy done by moving the Multiroom box to that TV) but then allow the other two tellys (one in sitting room and one in kitchen beside it) to run off the main e vision box and allow channel change b remote in either kitchen or sitting room.

All tellys have scart and only one has HDMI. I was thinking on simple splitting the scart other out of the evision box and using scart cabling to the two tellys. However one tv wont be able to change channel (the tv in the other room not next to the e vision box.)

Does anyone know of a way of allowing channel change on two tvs running off the one evision box. And just in case anyone says that the evision box hasn't got scart as was previously mentioned. It does, just doesn't look like a scart plug at the box end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

A Triax Tri-Link mite work for you., it allows you to take a feed via scart and feed to another tv via a coax cable and can control via a magic eye that comes with the kit. Worth looking into.

Was just asked if the eircom TV package was worth taking now that there are more channels added to the basic service.

They've added 12 since I last looked which include
    Bloomberg, Euronews which is fair enough all the other choices are
    a cop out.

Comedy Central +1,
    Channel +1,
    E4+1,
    More 4+1,
    Film4+1,
    All of these are of little use as the box has a record facility. Could they not have added 5 completely different channels?

God.TV
    EWTN
    I can't believe the audience for these is very high plus they're free to access on Sat and on the internet if you want them.

QVC
    Counting this as a worthwhile channel is a bit rich.

TRTÈ
    CÙLA4
    I suspect these are only rebroadcasts of the main channels under a different channel number, so no new content.

Obviously I still won't be recommending the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it does appear as if its a bottom of the barrel type of service offering the least amount of paid content for a very basic price. the plus one channels are only of use if you have no recording facility as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

I'm trying to record to dvd recorder from eVision+ box. However, I get "copying of material is not allowed, cannot record". Does anybody else get this or is there a way around it? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thinking of switching to eVision. But the clincher is ... Cartoon Network. Sad I know but there would be WWIII if we lost it. Does it come on eVision?
    Spoke to sales guy last night who said no. But just checked on the site and the logo is there in the added package for 6 a month. Not in a position to ring and confirm so wondered if anyone can confirm if they have it?
    Cheers

redser7 wrote: »
    Thinking of switching to eVision. But the clincher is ... Cartoon Network. Sad I know but there would be WWIII if we lost it. Does it come on eVision?
    Spoke to sales guy last night who said no. But just checked on the site and the logo is there in the added package for 6 a month. Not in a position to ring and confirm so wondered if anyone can confirm if they have it?
    Cheers
    Yeah cartoon network is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Excellent, the little people will be relieved :)
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
Advertisement