Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

jay0109 wrote: »
    Is there no website that allows easy comparison of the offerings on sale from the now 3 TV providers? Or are their offers so convoluted, that they cannot be compared!:confused:

Try here: http://www.bonkers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Sully wrote: »
    Doesn't UPC drop your broadband when using TV?

Nope. 106 Megs wired (40 wireless on an iPad 2) with all other TVs working.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Parents have evision and have to say very impressive. Quality of picture is crystal. No issues or problems like above. Sky has many more channels but its also much dearer. I'm looking at the basic evision package plus the add on package and two multiroom boxes and it comes in at 26 euro for the three plus 50 for the fibre. There is an ondemand icon on the screen, so i reckon its in the pipeline. But the best bit is there is no downgrade fee from moving down a package. They have a sky sports package so no more having to commit to 12 months to watch the premiership season anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

sparky63 wrote: »
    Parents have evision and have to say very impressive. Quality of picture is crystal. No issues or problems like above. Sky has many more channels but its also much dearer. I'm looking at the basic evision package plus the add on package and two multiroom boxes and it comes in at 26 euro for the three plus 50 for the fibre. There is an ondemand icon on the screen, so i reckon its in the pipeline. But the best bit is there is no downgrade fee from moving down a package. They have a sky sports package so no more having to commit to 12 months to watch the premiership season anymore.

1 happy customer

when 100 happy customers reply it will be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

ftakeith wrote: »
    1 happy customer

1 happy poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I couldn't help but have a look at my neighbours evision set up today....and what did I find. I found a box that looked like a it came from the 80's and a remote that looked very like some of the ones you find in Euro shops.

The picture clarity was not a patch on Sky or UPC's systems....with significant distortion when his kids were playing the ps3 upstairs. He did admit there was a major slowdown of the net anytime someone was watching the evision tv box.

The UI looked ok in fairness, but there are very few channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

barrackali wrote: »
    I couldn't help but have a look at my neighbours evision set up today....and what did I find. I found a box that looked like a it came from the 80's and a remote that looked very like some of the ones you find in Euro shops.

The picture clarity was not a patch on Sky or UPC's systems....with significant distortion when his kids were playing the ps3 upstairs. He did admit there was a major slowdown of the net anytime someone was watching the evision tv box.

The UI looked ok in fairness, but there are very few channels.

It would be interesting to know the speed of his broadband aswell. I would have thought that the tv would have some quality of service so it gets a steady bitrate and not get effected by other uses on the line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

syboit wrote: »
    I would have thought that the tv would have some quality of service so it gets a steady bitrate and not get effected by other uses on the line.
    I've certainly not noticed a difference on the TV when various other drains on the bandwidth are running.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Well...I'm glad it's working out for you! A lot of people I know are complaining about this issue...it's cause is obvious anyway, Eircom just doesn't have the bandwidth to offer all of these services.

FTTC and the last bit over copper is just not good enough, there will always be considerable quality loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Doesn't UPC drop your broadband when using TV? Also eircom have not nationally started selling this, its available but not being actively sold outside of Dublin. Phased roll out, hence no advertisements anywhere.

UPC definitely doesn't drop your speed as their TV service is not IPTV (other than the On-Demand service). It has nothing to do with their broadband service. Their normal television channels are digital cable (DVB-C) so they're basically broadcast constantly down the cable network just like the way an over-the-air channel is. Their broadband signals are carried on the same wires, but separately to the television signals.

Also, Eircom are selling that product anywhere there's e-fibre which is in most urban areas at this stage and even quite a lot of small/medium sized towns in fairly non-populous parts of the country.

e-fibre's actually not currently available in a big chunk of Dublin City Centre and Cork City Centre (central island area) which are the two most urban areas of the country. So it's not really Dublin vs "Down the country" issue.

UPC's mostly available only in the cities and larger towns, although that is quite a large % of the population. They've never gone to smaller places with cable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

SpaceTime wrote: »
    UPC's mostly available only in the cities and larger towns, although that is quite a large % of the population. They've never gone to smaller places with cable.

More places than you might think due to the legacy inherited from CMI Cable (which covered most Leinster towns of a decent size as well as a few other places) and, dare we mention it, MMDS - though that now has a death sentence over it (and, of course, doesn't do broadband).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SpaceTime wrote: »
    UPC definitely doesn't drop your speed as their TV service is not IPTV (other than the On-Demand service). It has nothing to do with their broadband service. Their normal television channels are digital cable (DVB-C) so they're basically broadcast constantly down the cable network just like the way an over-the-air channel is. Their broadband signals are carried on the same wires, but separately to the television signals.

Also, Eircom are selling that product anywhere there's e-fibre which is in most urban areas at this stage and even quite a lot of small/medium sized towns in fairly non-populous parts of the country.

e-fibre's actually not currently available in a big chunk of Dublin City Centre and Cork City Centre (central island area) which are the two most urban areas of the country. So it's not really Dublin vs "Down the country" issue.

I'v read and heard reports of peoples broadband dropping with UPC. Interesting to note. Some people seem to be able to get above and beyond their broadband speed with UPC whereas others, its less than half.

Will be interesting to see if efibre will see the same 'upgrades' in speed that UPC have been rolling out. I assume the availability is down to it being a relatively new product and targeting specific areas where the response might be greater.
    icdg wrote: »
    More places than you might think due to the legacy inherited from CMI Cable (which covered most Leinster towns of a decent size as well as a few other places) and, dare we mention it, MMDS - though that now has a death sentence over it (and, of course, doesn't do broadband).

MMDS is a pretty decent pack of channels, with people seemingly getting the multi room free from it. Would have assumed MMDS was already scrapped, or at the very least on the way out seeing as analogue TV has been given the boot. But I assume there are customers of UPC who don't want cables put in through their walls / floors so MMDS is fine for them.

I'v read and heard reports of peoples broadband dropping with UPC. Interesting to note. Some people seem to be able to get above and beyond their broadband speed with UPC whereas others, its less than half.

Will be interesting to see if efibre will see the same 'upgrades' in speed that UPC have been rolling out. I assume the availability is down to it being a relatively new product and targeting specific areas where the response might be greater.

The technology is the limited in what it can do with FTTC (e-fibre). They will see a speed improvement when a technology known as 'vectoring' gets switched on. It's been planned into the eircom FTTC network and all the modems supplied by all suppliers of 'fibre' using your phone line are ready-to-roll with it.

It will mean a speed bump to about 100Mbit/s for those lucky enough to be very close to the cabinet.

Basically, vectoring works a little like noise-cancelling headphones. The DSLAM (cabinet equipment) manages the crosstalk and noise between the lines connected to it. It analyses the noise on each line and injects a noise cancelling signal to cancel it out. So, that allows the data rates to be increased.

That technology's very, very new but it's part of the spec of the eircom cabinets and everyone's modems (eircom, vodafone, digiweb, magnet etc etc). So, it should see a pretty decent speed improvement for many.

HFC (hybrid-fibre-coaxial) cable networks like UPC use are just much higher bandwidth over the last bit i.e. that connects to your home. Until eircom actually replace the phone lines with fibre to your house (FTTH) they're not going to beat UPC on top speeds. It's just technically not possible over a twisted pair vs a high bandwidth coaxial link to your house.

The only hope for getting beyond 100mbit/s with the FTTC (e-fibre) network is using 2 phone lines bonded going back to the cabinet, which might be quite feasible as many homes have 2 pairs coming into them anyway.

Also, any technology reliant on DSL, in this case VDSL2 for e-fibre, suffers very rapid speed decreases the further you get from the cabinet. So, UPC can actually deliver reliable speeds regardless of distance as the coaxial cable is fully shielded and designed to carry high bandwidth (TV channels) from day one. Where as eircom's still dealing with a legacy network that was only ever designed with carrying audio i.e. simple twisted pair between you and the cabinet.

FTTC and VDSL2 are a *huge* improvement over the old ADSL2+ from the exchanges but, they're not going to be able to compete with cable in terms of top speeds as can already be seen in areas where UPC have gone to 200mbit/s without any fuss at all.

Areas where UPC cable broadband isn't full speed would be generally due to older local coaxial wiring that isn't capable of carrying the same bandwidth as the newer higher spec cabling.

They've replaced it in a lot of areas and are still rebuilding a lot of the old junk that their predecessors had been using for years. That's what all their rewiring has been about over the last few years.

8:30pm (as peak as it gets). Horizon and two other boxes in house. And an iPad. And an iPhone.

I've got four relations on UPC. All consistently achieve the advertised speeds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    All consistently achieve the advertised speeds.

Lies. You are achieving above and beyond :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sean54

I have e fibre and it works fine, (without PSTN) I ordered evision and Eircom dropped my profile.
    Technician failed to show for appointment, support team are little help could`nt get anyone to call out. I had taken a day off work to be in the house ( Installation Monday - Friday only) They rang me back after 2 weeks to arrange an appointment.
    They made a new appointment but included a phone on the order, when I rang them they told me I needed a phone line (PSTN) to have evision.
    Has anybody else had similar experience?

I have e fibre and it works fine, (without PSTN) I ordered evision and Eircom dropped my profile.
    Technician failed to show for appointment, support team are little help could`nt get anyone to call out. I had taken a day off work to be in the house ( Installation Monday - Friday only) They rang me back after 2 weeks to arrange an appointment.
    They made a new appointment but included a phone on the order, when I rang them they told me I needed a phone line (PSTN) to have evision.

Sean54 wrote: »

evision is only sold with a phone line.

Strange original order for evision from Eircom had no phone line & €10 cheaper.

evision is only sold with a phone line.

Kinda makes sense in fairness. How else could you avail of it otherwise?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I wonder how many have actually signed up for it? I did point out to a sales rep that I would be only interesed if the UTV and some of the sky channels were made available. He just shrugged and said no plans in the immediate future for them.

Technically there is no need for a PSTN line for DSL or VDSL, but Eircom would`nt sell the DSL package without a phone service.
    Eircom now sell the efibre (VDSL) without a PSTN line ie (naked broadband) for €40 a month, I have this service.
    I originally ordered evision on top of my broadband (without phone service) and Eircom took the order but failed to keep the installation appointment.
    They then issued a new order with a phone service attached.

I'll be cutting the PSTN whenever the contract renewal comes up. I use mobile and VoIP only for calls. I don't even have a phone plugged in to the eircom wall jack anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I wonder how many have actually signed up for it? I did point out to a sales rep that I would be only interesed if the UTV and some of the sky channels were made available. He just shrugged and said no plans in the immediate future for them.

utv ireland from 2015 on evision

evision is exactly like bt vision in the uk

I cancelled the order for evision, just keeping the broadband only. I got fed up getting the run around from Eircom. When I called sales about the order with the PSTN attached I was told the evision could only be sold in a bundle with a PSTN line and then given a different price (Special offer €46 for six months Phone, Broadband, Multi room & Experience pack, then €71 for an 18 month contract). So far I have been given three different prices (Two by e-mail and one verbally).
    The Eircom web site (pricing of evision) gives separate pricing for evision with efibre only at €15 add on. See link below for Eircom evision pricing.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Pt11.1.pdf

Eircom may have a good product but there customer service is terrible.

how can they charge 15 euro for evision when its not in a triple play pack? I thought you could only order it with Broadband and phone line?

ftakeith wrote: »
    utv ireland from 2015 on evision

evision is exactly like bt vision in the uk

Its not a patch on bt vision in the uk where they can get over 70 free to air channels and a free youview pvr that they can keep. eircom do not let you keep the box.

how can they charge 15 euro for evision when its not in a triple play pack? I thought you could only order it with Broadband and phone line?
    Exactly my thought!! Eircom originally sold me evision without phone line. Answer depends who you ring in Eircom sales.
    Check out the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adder_86

As someone who can't get HD with UPC and isn't willing to pay for Sky, but is able to get eFibre (and is not happily using it), decided to try eVision rather than just jump to Saorview.

Will probably add a Roku for Netflix/Youtube.

I am worried about a broadband slow-down though. They're not warning about that (or even stating that the TV will use bandwidth), so they'll have a very irate customer if it becomes noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

hi

I have e fibre 3 months now and evision 2 months

Was originally on 50M down/20 up with it and about 200M from cabinet

Eircom reduced speed to 43M when they installed the TV

You dont really notice that reduction as nothing in the house can download that fast anyway..(unless you plug cable into router). Most stuff is on wireless n

When directly plugged into the router with a laptop I am getting download speeds of 41mbps which is about as much as can be expected on a 43Mbps line sync

When the TV box is turned on this drops by about 2.5Mbps

If you have a second TV box like I have the download speed drops another 2.5Mbps when that is also turned on

Because of the QoS on the routers it doesnt matter what else is going on in the house the TV will always work and get the best bandwidth.

This doesnt mean you can't use the other 38/39Mbps of bandwidth and I would frequently have 2 or 3 people watching netflix and someone downloading Torrents at (2MBPS\16Mbps) while the telly is being watched.

So far very happy with the service..hoping they will add a few more channels soon.....but 15 a month versus the 30 I was paying UPC with 6 months free (of the basic 10e) was hard to beat

fasterbetter

Advertisement