Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam sale survivors thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just tried driver too. class class driving game! :D

every car feels like RWD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

This was the damage for me this year, spent way more than I thought I would, have only downloaded Super Street Fighter (not very impressed, definitely a mistake to buy this!) so far, probably won't play the rest until next year!

7659034758_0f5d7965fe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just tried driver too. class class driving game! :D

every car feels like RWD :D

Oh nice...I forgot I bought that hahaha, and Need For Speed.
    Gonna set em both on download now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I decided I'd give Mass Effect 2 a shot.
    Played over 30hrs in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

on Eircom 3mb down, 30gb limit per month.

Bought & Downloaded
    Max Payne 3 - 30gb
    Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY - 6gb
    Dirt Showdown - 10gb
    Saints Row 3 - 10gb
    Civilisation 5 - 6gb
    Assasins Creed Brotherhood - 11gb

Bought & Waiting Till Next Month
    Assassins Creed Revelations - 11gb
    Batman Arkham City - 18gb
    Gotham City Imposters - 7gb
    Dead Island - 10gb
    Crysis - 6gb
    Crysis Wars - 6gb
    Crysis Warhead - 7gb
    Crysis 2 Max Edition - 13gb

Cant wait to see the eircom bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I moved my PC to my parents house to download all the stuff I bought because they have faster internet. I bought 19 games, I really hope there isn't a download limit or I may be in trouble....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Surely that's the first thing you should check for big downloads? The usual rate when you're over the limit is 1c per mb I think so you could be in for a serious bill Rossi IRL...

I've got a 25gb limit so could only download Borderlands and San Andreas at around 16gb combined, currently got 7gb left for the next two weeks. Want to give Psychonauts a try but going over my limit sort of defeats the purpose of the sale so gonna have to wait

Well I have a lovely rotation now between driver San Francisco and tropico 4. I spicy it up with good old fashioned BF3, but not too much. I am all over my steam purchases for now. :)

It makes you feel really bad when you have not even tried a ton of bought games on ste and you play something old and time wasting :D

I got batman Arkham city downloaded and waiting, I will keep it for later, because of I start it now I will just play it and the rest of the games will be wasted :)

Do people download games that they don't intend to play in the near future? That seems a little strange to me - I tend to only download games I'm planning to get stuck into, and once I'm done with a game and know I won't play again for a while, I always delete the local content (excluding save game files of course) from my PC. I tend to have a maximum of about a dozen games installed at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

ionapaul wrote: »
    Do people download games that they don't intend to play in the near future?

You didn't see the STEAM sale or the thread did you ? :P

We collect games these days, like you'd collect Pogs or Football stickers as a kid :P

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You didn't see the STEAM sale or the thread did you ? :P

We collect games these days, like you'd collect Pogs or Football stickers as a kid :P
    Hey, I'm as enthusiastic a Steam sale-r as anyone :) I just am wondering why exactly people subsequently download all of their purchases, if they aren't planning to get stuck in straight away, seems beyond mad. If you have the game in your Steam library, surely that knowledge is enough for you if you aren't going to play the game, rather than filling up disk space with the game files themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Hey, I'm as enthusiastic a Steam sale-r as anyone :) I just am wondering why exactly people subsequently download all of their purchases, if they aren't planning to get stuck in straight away, seems beyond mad. If you have the game in your Steam library, surely that knowledge is enough for you if you aren't going to play the game, rather than filling up disk space with the game files themselves.

Well considering I have another ~2TBs of free space left on the HDD and another ~100GBs on the SSD, not to mention my 120Mb internet, I guess I just like the feeling of knowing I could play any of my games at a moments notice :o

I downloaded all games I wanted to try out and the ones I will play when ready. It's nice to know its there and you can just jump in to it when you ready.
    I hate this situation: damn, I would love t play X now. Download 8gb?.... Maybe meet time.

[Quote/]
    Well considering I have another ~2TBs of free space left on the HDD and another ~100GBs on the SSD, not to mention my 120Mb internet, I guess I just like the feeling of knowing I could play any of my games at a moments notice :o[/Quote]

120mb GTFO,,,,out in the sticks 3mb will have to do,,, had a 3.5tb hdd but its down to 100gb, i dont no how

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Oh nice...I forgot I bought that hahaha, and Need For Speed.
    Gonna set em both on download now :D

I got hot pursuit, really really enjoying it. Its like Chase HQ HD :D

Conversely i got Burnout Paradise and gave up on it after about 20 minutes. Dunno why i got it (already had it on 360 and didnt really like it). Its the aimlessness of it all, you just drive around....theres nos tructure. It never feels liek youre achieving anything or making any kind of progress.
    and the multipalyer is bull****. Some guy had a DLC monster truck that was next to impossible to take down if youre refuse to pay for the extra content excluded from the so called 'ultimate box'.

Got X3 Teran Conflict which is basically I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING: The game.

Ass Brotherhood for a 5er was a great bargain too. All in all spent about 45 euro and got a ton of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Well here ya go

2092990553.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Following up on this post.

Splinter Cell : Conviction <34 hrs. (I think the more accurate figure is probably ten hours less.)

This game is a whole load of fun. But it's not guaranteed that it will save your progress- at least, for me anyway. As such, I just left it running quietly in the background when I wasn't playing it. That is incredibly lame I know. It was either that or continually make back-up copies of your save files. That's one game breaker. The other is that it requires constant internet access. If your connection falters as mine often does then you're left with an error message giving you the option of wait until connection is restored or exit the application. Pure shame too because this game is a gem. I'm glad I didn't invest in it at launch though. It's actually my favourite Splinter Cell because the fun factor is immense. When you sneak through a level with complete pacifist stealth, no more exhilaration; there is none. Probably why I persevered with it. That, and €7 doesn't make you as critical of game bugs.

Mirrors Edge : <7hrs.

Once you get over the initial motion sickness and get used to the controls this is somewhat of a gem. Over too quickly though. It's not always clear where exactly you should be going in a level and I guess I broke the mechanics of the game in a way. I'd just kill all the enemy AI to buy a few minutes and then get back to the platforming. Which wasn't really how the devs intended I do things but it was really annoying trying to figure out what which pipe I should be climbing and then realise I'm dead before I've even started to climb. On a second playthrough now that I've grasped the game mechanics better and the controls I'm going to try to do it just purely by running as much as possible. It's a fun experience and very rewarding once you get the hangs on things. The problem is though getting that initial grasp of things. I don't get motion sick* any more but believe me the shaky cam takes some getting used to.
    Game absolutely deserves a sequel to be made with some refinement this could be an absolute gem. As it is though it's a good quality game, just not as good as it should have been. Have yet to try multi-player.
    A word of warning though, it's probably best to disable PhysX because at times, for some unknown reason it can totally gimp your framerate, even if there's not that much happening in game. Maybe there's some work around but I is too lazy to find it.

*Although I was physically sick anyway and that does very often affect my concentration.

Sins of a Solar Empire : Duration Unknown.

Only gripe is that this game does not launch through Steam for me. It's a fantastic game. Absolutely fantastic. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I just can't get enough of watching a planet being bombarded into oblivion. Great RTS game, the lack of a story driven campaign doesn't bother me one bit. An in game reminder system would be nice though, namely to tell you that it might be wise to take a break, grab some food, go to sleep, work, etc. Haven't had this much fun with an rts strategy title since AOE II. I think Civ still wins though on the most fun strategy game.

Garry's Mod. < 4hrs.

Spent about an hour trying to weld together slabs of cylinder to make it look like a rocket. Attached some thrusters and other stuff. Go for Launch. Rocket Launched - laterally and pummelled me against a wall! Cool little Physics Sandbox game.

Just Cause 2 < 3hrs.
    Tethered an evil terrorist on an Oil Rig to a Propane Tank and launched it into Orbit with him wailing and screaming. Why? Just cos . ..
    Ahem, Sorry. Lots of fun. Could have done with a more intuitive cover system though feels like I'm playing a really old fps at times. Still fun though. It'll be interesting to see if the fun factors last though as it's still early days yet. But, I'm failing to see how tethering people to flying objects will ever get boring? :D

Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit < 30 hrs.
    Online this is just a blast to play. Only gripe so far is that you can lock with EMPs through buildings when you don't even have clear line of sight on another player. Interceptor Mode. (One cop v One Racer in a massive open world) is great craic. Nothing more satisfying, than jamming your opponents radar, switching off your car lights and sneaking away in the dark. Oh! And did I mention autolog, that annoying message system that basically likes to remind you how incompetent you are at the game compared to your friends? Must. Beat. That. Time. .. somehow!? If you're obsessively compulsive over best times then this thing is like a sadomasochistic cross between nicotine, caffeine and cocaine.

Worms Reloaded < 2hrs.

After all these years worms is still fun, but I just wish it was Worms Armageddon or WWP. The HD visuals are nice, but bleh, it's pretty much the same game. Maybe, I'm wrong, here I haven't spent much time with. I actually don't think I will be spending much time with it either. Shame too because it was one of my anticipated purchases that I'd preplanned for the Steam Sale. :( That said, my most anticipated purchase, Portal 2, I have yet to even try. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Bought & Downloaded
    Max Payne 3 - 30gb
    Dirt Showdown - 10gb
    Saints Row 3 - 10gb
    Civilisation 5 - 6gb

Dead Island - 10gb
    Crysis - 6gb
    Crysis Wars - 6gb
    Crysis Warhead - 7gb

You can add "unlimited" download to your bill for €10/month with Eircom if im not mistaken. We have it anyways, its nice to not have to worry about download limits. I'd imagine with penalties for this month you will be spending more than €10 anyways. Worth considering

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Bought & Downloaded
    Max Payne 3 - 30gb
    Dirt Showdown - 10gb
    Saints Row 3 - 10gb
    Civilisation 5 - 6gb

Dead Island - 10gb
    Crysis - 6gb
    Crysis Wars - 6gb
    Crysis Warhead - 7gb

You can add "unlimited" download to your bill for €10/month with Eircom if im not mistaken. We have it anyways, its nice to not have to worry about download limits. I'd imagine with penalties for this month you will be spending more than €10 anyways. Worth considering

im sure i rang up about it before and was told its only available on next generation broadband,, but it might not be to harmful to try again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I got this dilemma last night, and hadnt experienced it in years.

Typically when I log onto PC its going to be

LoL
    WoW

Or more recently bit of D3, CS and ScII.

Last night I spent 20 minutes humminh and haughing over what to play.
    Steam library has grown enormously after sale :(

Just not enough time in the week to do the amount of gaming I want : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Bought some games.
    Deus Ex: HR
    Arkham City
    KOTOR
    Far Cry 1+2
    Few more small ones I can't remember.

Come home, play dota 2. Easy decisions.

Advertisement