Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transfer denied because of maternity leave

Options
  • 23-01-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had an opportunity to apply for a lateral transfer in a state job, open to all people in my grade. I'm perfectly suited for this new job but it needed my managers approval.

He said no and the reason given is because a colleage was away on maternity leave. I'm sickened as this was a great way to get out of a dead end dept to a job which had better pay conditions.

Is his reason even legal? Sickening to thinkt hat somebodies decision to have a child has impacted on my career.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Actually, your application for a transfer was blocked because your colleague is not at work at the moment. The reason for it is completely irrelevant. If they were off with an illness, or on a career break, your transfer would have been blocked too.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

That's life in a state organisation. Somme bosses just like showing their little bit of authority. All transfers are subject to the exigencies of the service. A good boss would make it up to you in future if they had no choice but to block the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Maybe ask your boss again ?
    They might not know how much you want to move.
    Usually these things take forever to happen so your collegue might be back before you would have to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

the way things are working in my Dept are that they will not release you for a transfer until someone is sent to replace you! So this is a huge problem at the moment cos there's no recruitment and unless you get vv lucky with a head to head transfer.....

I have applied to be put on the list for transfers and have been turned down cos the lists are closed, like you my dept is a dead end so no how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jo King wrote: »
    That's life in a state organisation. Somme bosses just like showing their little bit of authority. All transfers are subject to the exigencies of the service. A good boss would make it up to you in future if they had no choice but to block the transfer.

+1

Bosses in large private sector organisations can be equally difficult.

You need to learn to work the politics of the organisation. Find some lever that you can use to force your boss to support this (or a later) application, because there's something in it for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement