Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Program Language to Learn

Options
  • 15-07-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I wanting to learn how to program and I was wondering if anybody knew of an easy program language to learn at first.

I'm going to self teach myself but I was wanting to know what would be the best program language to start on would be.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What exactly do you want to do nori? There's different languages for different tasks.

For general programming I'd suggest Java or C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I'd like to learn as well. Took a look at some books in PC world yesterday. Is Visual Basic for C++? What would be best to start with or what are most programs created with? The game making on Visual Basic looks cool but I imagine its ridiculously hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Conor108 wrote:
    Is Visual Basic for C++?
    Visual Basic and C++ are two different, totally unrelated languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aidanmcg

i tried starting off before learning c++ and tried to do it and spent a lot of time and then got fed up with it and didnt like it. I then done visual basic and really liked it and then got further into programming after that and can now program in java c++ php visual basic and others, so from my experience, i would recommend starting out with visual basic and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

aidanmcg wrote:
    so from my experience, i would recommend starting out with visual basic and take it from there.

No, no, no!

Visual Basic is for "quick and dirty" programming. You will potentially pick up bad habits if you learn programming through VB.

Java or C++ to learn the fundamentals, then try other languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

tom dunne wrote:
    No, no, no!

Visual Basic is for "quick and dirty" programming. You will potentially pick up bad habits if you learn programming through VB.

Java or C++ to learn the fundamentals, then try other languages.

I am a VB.NET/C# programmer andI would say that you should learn the basics throuh the likes of C++.. VB.NET is not as quick and dirty as its other brother tho

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I started off with C++, didnt have much choice in the matter!! I've just finished 2nd year engineering in tcd and really liked the computer programming end so I'm going with computer engineering for 3rd yr...

so C++ is probably a good one to get you started!

The book we used was:
    Problem Solving with C++: The Object of Programming
    by Walter Savitch, publisher Addison Wesley

It starts you off very slowly and simple, I found it to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I started with that back in 97.. man that book has been around forever

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Ginger wrote:
    I started with that back in 97.. man that book has been around forever
    Well I have the fifth edition... could even be a later edition now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement