Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schols Schols Schols, information and venting thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Today I blurted out (light-heartedly, but not obviously so) that I hated a certain lecturer who sets one of my schol exams (I don't have him for anything though) - he was right behind me.... :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Today I blurted out (light-heartedly, but not obviously so) that I hated a certain lecturer who sets one of my schol exams (I don't have him for anything though) - he was right behind me.... :S
    I'm sure they're well used to students not liking them. If you teach a few hundred students theres bound to be a few who dont like you..
    Once he doesnt know who you are and remember what you said it'll be grand!!

Embarrassing thing to happen tho.. Seen it happen a few times with people in my course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

Kwekubo wrote: »
    I suppose I can legitimately throw my hat into the ring here, since our first year exam results constitute part of Schols if we choose to go down that route. Academic masochism ftw.
    first year exam results part of the schols ? Now I didn't know that...

What I would do if I were facing the schols in a couple of weeks time is to get together with any other CS fellow students doing the schols and together work out correctly between us ALL the past exam papers , in LG 12 , when it's quiet from Friday next onward. That should ensure at least one schol from CS this year :

Lecturers do not generally like drawing up new exam qestions, as it's a terrible bother to get every part of every question you ask answered correctly line by line, so as to compare students' answers with theirs when marking.

So it's a good bet that right now those past exam papers make up the bulk of all the question s on those schols exam papers for this year, awaiting you right now in Trinity safes .

And if you CS Schols entrants get toogether, you might even achieve more than one schol this year for the Dept. so the very best of luck :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

LenovoUser wrote: »
    first year exam results part of the schols ? Now I didn't know that...
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

First year exams count towards Schols for medicine, and possibly other subjects. Its one of the things being reviewed at the moment, as how departments decide what to base schols on is a bit of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

time to start studyin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

If you're going for exemptions. If you're going for schols you're likely a little late, unless you're one of those people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jason&arthur

deal was "if u make an effort jason u don't have to work this summer", so the actual result itself isn't to worrying, i just dont want to do too awful like arthur's gonna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

my head asplode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

And who might that have been? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

obl wrote: »
    And who might that have been? ;)
    Ah, yes, JC, c'mon, tell us please...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

In reference to an earlier post: It's never too late to start studying for Schols, you're just (much) better off allowing enough time.

I didn't really allow enough time (my estimate of what's required: THE WHOLE TWO YEARS), but I've a lot of material from the past two years to fall back on, plus reading and essays I've done for my various courses. I've been doing desultory (always wanted to use that word) study over the past month or so, but only really got my nose to the grindstone (as in, in the library every day) two weeks ago. However, I've kept my outside commitments to a minimum this year and worked very hard for all the essays and reports I had to do, so I'm not too badly off.

I think I'll be okay. Just got to get these damned end-of-term essays in!

Does anyone else just feel like giving up?

At times... Keep at it tho.. Theres no penalty at all for doing badly..

The chances are you'll do much better than you expect..

Stick with it.. If anything its good preparation for the summer...

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Yeah, a friend of mine in 3rd year who got Schols said that he did the Summer exams just because he was bored..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

mathew wrote: »
    Theres no penalty at all for doing badly..
    Losing the respect of your peers... ;)

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Losing the respect of your peers... ;)

Ah go way outa that you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

If you give up you'll always regret it. Fear of failure is the only reason not to do 'em, once you've been studying. You could say afterwards "if I'd sat the exams then I might have got schols", but having a real chance at a ridiculously valuable scholarship is a wee bit more worthwhile, potential failure included.

Best of luck, don't bottle it! :)

No. I'm going to damn well do this, and do this damn well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Schols is great craic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Do 2nd year engineers doing schols this year get exemptions from summer exams if they get a 2:1? We were just told they're doing away with that next year (i.e. for us 1st years) onwards...:(

They're doing away with exemptions full stop next year as they are moving the schol exams due to semesterisation (at least that was the plan last I heard).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They're doing away with exemptions full stop next year as they are moving the schol exams due to semesterisation (at least that was the plan last I heard).
    Suppose there's a good bit of logic in that, if they kept them and put schols in between terms (which I'm guessing is the plan), then you'd be exempt from testing on a whole term's worth (12 weeks) of stuff! That'd be pretty mental.

Yup, pretty much the thinking. There was a movement to do away with the schol exams altogether and merely award schols based on year-end exams, but thankfully it was done away with. I imagine setting the schol exams between terms will make them harder, as they will cover more stuff that the students have yet to cover in lectures...

I haven't really been keeping up with the plans for schols since i left though, so my info may not be up-to-date!

At times... Keep at it tho.. Theres no penalty at all for doing badly..

The chances are you'll do much better than you expect..

Stick with it.. If anything its good preparation for the summer...

:):)

I'm not gonna quit. I promise. I still vary from one night I will certainly be the next Toronto Schol, and the next night I just don't know a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I remember when I attempted the schols. Did the first paper then realised that I could spend my whole Easter failing them or just relax and enjoy the few weeks off!

I chose the 2nd option :p

piby wrote: »
    I remember when I attempted the schols. Did the first paper then realised that I could spend my whole Easter failing them or just relax and enjoy the few weeks off!

I chose the 2nd option :p

What?! It's hard to hear you from all the way up here.

Oh! And, Fuckshitjesus my first exam's tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What!! I thought they began on the 9th! :pac:

Really?? In what??

I thought they didnt start until the 10th....

Best of luck in it... Ill be in the same boat next Tuesday evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scruttocks

Monday, oh dear.

Really?? In what??

I thought they didnt start until the 10th....

Best of luck in it... Ill be in the same boat next Tuesday evening :)

It's in French. Just the Oral. But it's two professors and me...

I don't have one after it till Tuesday. Then Thursday, Friday, Monday, Monday, Tuesday!

Thanks man!

Thursday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, Monday for me.

Thursday, Monday, Thursday, Friday, Monday for me.

Oooohhh two days in a row.... not nice..

I have Monday (class exam) then Schols Wednesday Friday Wednesday Friday Monday

Two hardest exams too.... The second one being Hardware Practical, which is THE hardest.

They're all from 9:30 to 12:30 though, which means I have a full day to study after each one.

Actually, how many exams do people have?

Can you beat eight? (Five Psychology TSM, three English TSM)

Five, but they're 3 hours each.

Actually, how many exams do people have?

Can you beat eight? (Five Psychology TSM, three English TSM)

I have too... all 3 hours..

I'm happy with how it went, but it could have good better. Ah well. One down now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I have too... all 3 hours..

24 hours of exams? Jaysus what sort of sadists are running your course?! You poor thing, good luck!

I've got Tues, Thurs, Fri, Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri, Mon. Lovely, just lovely.

at least you've got the first of it over with... In a way Im looking forward to getting started.. Closer to finishing it then :P

Good luck to everyone taking schols. Whatever happens don't get too disheartened and keep giving it your best. I had one absolutely God awful exam (as in I thought there was a chance I could have failed), but it went poorly for everyone and they were all marked up! Some lecturers are unsure of the difficulty to set the papers at and so they can vary quite a lot, but just remember that its not the end of the world if one exam doesnt go right - people have gotten schols while failing one exam before.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone taking schols. Whatever happens don't get too disheartened and keep giving it your best. I had one absolutely God awful exam (as in I thought there was a chance I could have failed), but it went poorly for everyone and they were all marked up! Some lecturers are unsure of the difficulty to set the papers at and so they can vary quite a lot, but just remember that its not the end of the world if one exam doesnt go right - people have gotten schols while failing one exam before.

Cheers... Keeps the spirits up! :)

Thanks for the well wishes.

But, for the record, you can't get schols if you fail an exam, and exemptions will only be granted on a subject by subject basis.

Does that not depend entirely on the department?

• Advertisement

But, for the record, you can't get schols if you fail an exam, and exemptions will only be granted on a subject by subject basis.

It entirely depends on the course. Exemptions were all or nothing for me despite my course being split between two depts. In other cases its a subject by subject thing.

And when I say people, I mean I've heard of one particular incident. AFAIK the dept have some discretion as to who they put forward for schols. Of course, I could also have got it wrong.

Yeah, AFAIK in CS it's all or nothing for exemptions. And I mean, the exams don't directly correspond to individual courses.

Exemptions are never (again as far as I am aware) given for individual courses. However, in Science for example you can get exemptions in individual subjects (i.e. if taking physics, maths and chemistry, you can get exemptions in each individually - well two of them anyway cause that's all you take for schols).
    I had one exam for each course in maths, and two general physics papers (the same papers the physics people took), however I couldnt get exemptions in just physics - only overall.

In engineering its all or nothing too... Once you get over the 60% average you get exemptions.
    Dont know how failing an exam comes in to it... Presumably if you fail an exam, thats pretty much it.. Dont know about compensation at all

A scholar surely shouldn't fail an exam...

• Advertisement
Advertisement