Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Put in lights, CCTV and an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Here I am again.......Lucky number 3!!!!

Mens Focus Mountain bike (White and Blue Frame) with Kids hamex seat attached and ladies Felt Hybrid Bike, Black Frame with Kids Hamex seat attached to back stolen last night from Shed in Carpenderstown Dublin 15 last night.

Lock on shed snipped, heavy duty Motorbike lock snipped, Kriptonite lock snipped.

Any sightings of the above I would appreciate it.

Thanks, J

Thanks for the advice folks. Turns out they must have taken the two together with the motorbike lock on them. Along with Garden tools and chainsaw.

Attached is a picture of the bikes.

No playground on the bike tomorrow :-(

Thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sad times, my Vitus Vee 29er got taken from beside the house last night. Second hand and not an expensive bike but I used it for shopping and dropping one of the kids to creche.

This means no more creche drops by bike and and added hour onto the day.

House is off the road and I was tired last night so didn't lock it up.

Based in South Bray, I have three suspects and am popping down to the Gardai later.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

rob w wrote: »
    That sucks, sorry to hear that! That’s 3 bikes stolen? In how long?

I had a number of bikes stolen from my shed overnight last month and have beefed up security since.
    Now have and additional stronger lock x 2 on the door and I have reinforced the wall/door with extra timber and added some sensor lights.
    Inside is a sheffield stand bolted down to concrete blocks, an alarm and the bikes are locked to the stand with a motorbike chain and a D-Lock.

It’s worrying to hear that they got through a motorbike chain and kryptonite lock – did they do this with a grinder or bolt cutters?
    Was it done quietly or were you not around to hear?

There was no sign of either lock. The Garda Forensics lad reckoned there was 4-5 of them. Probably carried the bikes with the two locks and threw them over the back wall into the School and off into a van.
    Took my chainsaw and brand new 4in1 petrol strimmer. None covered by insurance either.

Did the neighbours shed and took a bike and lawnmower too.

On the noise thing, I have 2 young kids 3 and under and they have been sick past 2 weeks. It was the first night that Mrs Mc and I both slept through the night in about 10days....sods law eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I get the impression from what I'm hearing around that there's a gang involved, clearing out several sheds in a suburb and loading the bikes into a van, then moving on to the next suburb. I hope the ports are being well inspected for vans full of bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posting on behalf of a "friend";)

Grey bike stolen from outside Dublin passport office. In addition to its quite bland greyness, I believe it had 2 wheels, a saddle and handlebars

I would suggest anyone knowing anything about this contacts the owner directly

If you stole it, I cannot be held responsible for anything that may come of you once he's caught up with you

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Healy Rea is going to be on the Tonight Show soon talking about his loss :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sad times, my Vitus Vee 29er got taken from beside the house last night. Second hand and not an expensive bike but I used it for shopping and dropping one of the kids to creche.

This means no more creche drops by bike and and added hour onto the day.

House is off the road and I was tired last night so didn't lock it up.

Based in South Bray, I have three suspects and am popping down to the Gardai later.

6Tj5edn.jpg

Kryptonite holder is now a hamax child seat holder. It also looks a fair bit older. Also no back brake pads as i had taken them off to replace. Gardai have been very good but no sign. The Garda looking into it took a copy of the bike pic, wrote some details and stuck a copy in each of the cars in the station. I am loosing hope. It was a cheap bike but not being able to take my kid to creche or the playground on it anymore is actually bugging me quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's ****.

This guy has been charged and has a court date pending for (allegedly) attempting to steal my bike. That is my leg holding him down.

The Guards have actually followed up and told me that he has been charged with theft and criminal damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The Guards have actually followed up and told me that he has been charged with theft and criminal damage.

Looks like it'll just add to a long list and won't deter the offender.
    Nice to see something's being done though.

That's ****.

This guy has been charged and has a court date pending for (allegedly) attempting to steal my bike. That is my leg holding him down.

MOD VOICE: Sorry LollipopJimmy, but as you say, it is still alleged.

MOD VOICE: Sorry LollipopJimmy, but as you say, it is still alleged.

No worries, I thought it was safe once he's been charged.

No worries, I thought it was safe once he's been charged.

Your grand, if it was in the papers or there was an independent source then it would be fine, but (and I know your not), for all I know you could be posting a picture of your brother in law who you do not like just to paint him in a bad light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Hi all, had my Specialized Tarmac Expert stolen form the shed over the weekend. If anybody spots it for sale online (unlikely) or is approached please let me know.
    I don't have the serial number but the real distinguishing feature is the setup. Its running an FSA Gossamer crankset, rear cassette is an 11-25 with 105 shifter but the thumb shifters are Tiagra so bit of a mishmash. That's really how to distinguish, cant imagine there are many of these models around especially with a mix of components like that.
    The tyres are different too, they have a yellow stripe down the middle. So different from the photo, cant remember the brand.
    I'm sure its a 2007 model by the way if that's any use.

Thanks all.

DSC_0240.JPG
    (Cant't figure out how to display attachments in the thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

If anyone saw a few clotheslines thrown in Saggart yesterday that was me successfully defending Betsy, my Argon 18, against 2 scoundrels (and 2/3 waiting in a car) who tried to make off with her outside a chemist whilst I waited for a prescription. these would be thieving scumbags jumped outta the car stopped at lights and ran with away with the bike. when i chased after and it was put up to them, Betsy was dropped, thankfully she is ok, and they scarpered back into their waiting car which was hilariously still stuck behind slow moving traffic.

the love of a cyclist for his bike.

Be vigilant. the love of your life can be taken in seconds by dumbasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DiFHA-DWsAAqjuX.jpg:medium
    Now with added photo! Some halfwit stole my bike in Dublin city centre yesterday. Bianchi Sempre Celeste, 55cm. Shimano 105 groupset. If anyone tries to sell it to you, let me know. Reward! Please RT.
    https://twitter.com/kiliandoyle/status/1018173086678638594

Distinctive enough bike, easy to keep an eye for. Probably in a 40ft round from Parnell....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 florinaB

My mountain bike got stolen the night of 15 July, from the front yard in Dublin 6. The model is a RADON ZR 7.0 Lady, colour is distinctive: turquoise with coral pink on sides. Please keep an eye. Thanks a lot good people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

Some halfwit stole my bike in Dublin city centre on Friday. Bianchi Sempre Celeste, 55cm. Shimano 105 groupset. If anyone tries to sell it to you, let me know. Reward!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E beat you to it...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Friend of mine had his bike stolen today. Hybrid Focus, left at 2.02 stolen at 2.07 by a older man. Left on bike rack on the avenue at whitewater shopping center. Only got it for his birthday last week.

456622.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

"Gardai would like to reunite this bike with its rightful owner which was recovered on 21st July . Its a FOCUS VARIADO and you can contact Garda Richard Carolan in Santry Garda station on 01-6664053 if you own it or need further information"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hopkinsd

My dearly beloved bicycle, a 2013 model black-and-red Giant Rapid 3, was stolen from inside a friend's house on the Crumlin road between 1.30pm and 3.00pm yesterday afternoon (Friday, 27th July).

**I have pictures, but as a new user I can't attach. Please see httpsCOLONSLASHSLASHimgurDOTcomSLASHaSLASHpdJogb2 **

I left her there overnight after a few too many at a barbecue on Thursday evening. She was sitting comfortably in the hall when one friend went upstairs for a nap at 1.30pm. His housemate was heading home for the weekend and forgot to lock the front door as he left... at 3pm, the bike had vanished without a trace, only adding more misery to my dreary hungover morning. Nothing else had been stolen. She was registered with the Gardai in Donnybrook since I first got her (stung too many times cycling in this city). Serial number is GS3G3212.

If you wonderful, vigilant folks could keep an eye out on the usual spots I'd be massively grateful; she has served me well these past 4+ years. It's heartbreaking to have another good bike nicked, I've been unbelievably careful since my last theft in 2013. Wrong place, wrong time :(

Cheers

hopkinsd wrote: »

**I have pictures, but as a new user I can't attach. Please see httpsCOLONSLASHSLASHimgurDOTcomSLASHaSLASHpdJogb2 **
    Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

0.jpg

I found one of these, in Cabinteely park this morning.

The skewers are missing front and back (maybe it was dumped?!)

If anyone recognises it, I'd like to return it to it's rightful owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭efwren

Hi All,

Just arrived back from a 2 week holiday this morning to find the shed lock busted open and my 2014 Giant Defy 2 gone. It had been locked in the shed.

Its a 2014 black/silver giant defy size M/L. Black/white giant saddle. Only distinguishing features are I had replaced the standard Giant stem with a shortened 3T stem

Shimano SPD SL pedals with a lot of scratch marks.

Bike is also fitted with Wahoo cadence sensor although that may not still be on it.

Attached are two photos, not particularly great or a lot to go I know.

If anybody comes across something similar for sale I would appreciate being let know.

Thanks

https://www.herald.ie/news/teenage-thief-stole-five-bikes-and-friend-sold-four-of-them-online-37205304.html
    McDonald, of Greenhills Court, Tallaght, admitted multiple counts of unauthorised taking of bikes from the same address at Bushy Park, Terenure, in July and August last year…

Dublin District Court heard he went to the address in Terenure on July 9 last year, entered the shed and stole a Giant mountain bike and cross bike, worth €700 each.

He returned on July 24 and stole a Carabela road bike worth €1,400. This was never recovered.

On August 17 or 18, he went back and took a Giant mountain bike and Lapierre road bike.

The court heard the shed was locked but the defendant popped the lock and got in.

Also:
    Remarking that they were "opportunistic" crimes, Judge Alan Mitchell fined him €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

****ing judges live in their own bizzaro world. Had he walked by an open shed with an unlocked bike, once, and stole it, that would be opportunistic.

Coming back several times is premeditated and planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the point in fining them anyways ...

It's money gotten from thieving....

These scum bags should be at a minimum be tagged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What's the point in fining them anyways ...

It's money gotten from thieving....

These scum bags should be at a minimum be tagged.

Yeah, like cattle, by the f***ing ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Very encouraging news for up & coming thieves. Only fined a mere ~10% of the value of what you rob. No wonder its so common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hurrache wrote: »
    ****ing judges live in their own bizzaro world. Had he walked by an open shed with an unlocked bike, once, and stole it, that would be opportunistic.

Coming back several times is premeditated and planned.

The line above reads out of context I think. Article clarifies that it was the "going back" that was opportunistic. As he that he was going back on a whim to see if there was a new bike to steal.

Mellor wrote: »
    The line above reads out of context I think. Article clarifies that it was the "going back" that was opportunistic. As he that he was going back on a whim to see if there was a new bike to steal.

Surely going back is not opportunistic by definition. If he happened to be walking by there again and could see it, that is opportunistic, going back with the intention of taking another bike because their might be one is planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Surely going back is not opportunistic by definition. If he happened to be walking by there again and could see it, that is opportunistic, going back with the intention of taking another bike because their might be one is planning.
    I'm not arguing the correct usage of opportunistic, I'm just pointing out what the judge actually said/meant.
    Having sat through the case I'm sure the judge is aware what this scrote was up to, misusing a word (or being misquoted in the paper) doesn't change that.

So how can bike theft be stopped? And don't shout "throw away the key", that doesn't work.
    Full employment is a start.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not arguing the correct usage of opportunistic, I'm just pointing out what the judge actually said/meant.
    Having sat through the case I'm sure the judge is aware what this scrote was up to, misusing a word (or being misquoted in the paper) doesn't change that.

I got that you were not saying it, and what the judge meant, I was more voicing my disgust that the judge would even have the nerve to say it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rechuchote wrote: »

After the first time I'd be locking the bikes in the shed with a bloody good lock,
    After the second time I'd stop using the shed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You do know plenty of people in full employement still steal?
    There's plenty of good honest unemployed people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It's depressing reading how many bikes are reported stolen here.

First thing i would do is keep looking through adverts.ie and Facebook marketplace.

It's kind of obvious to me which users are selling stolen bikes as I was recently in the market for a second hand bike.

I had a front wheel stolen recently. My own fault for being too lazy to get the quick release changed to bolts though.

Has anyone here successfully gotten their bike back? I would love to set up a meet up with a guy from adverts.ie advertising a bike stolen from me. Surely someone had that situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So how can bike theft be stopped? And don't shout "throw away the key", that doesn't work.
    I think it would work. Bike theives will be reading that and know they will get off extremely lightly.

If he had broken into the same postoffice on 3 occassions and taken €3,000-4,000 would he have got a fine of €350? I doubt it. If he broke into a persons garage and stole 3 cars I wonder if it would have been so light.

I still get the impression it is treated like some sort of schoolyard crime, to be expected.

It would be good if certain items did get a different penalty, seeing as they are so commonly stolen and easy to get rid of I would like to see higher sentences. They would not even have to officially change the law, just make it widely known that they will be prosecuted to the fullest if caught. Like how some countries have extremely harsh laws on postal theft, I presume partly since it is quite easy to commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it would work. Bike theives will be reading that and know they will get off extremely lightly.

If he had broken into the same postoffice on 3 occassions and taken €3,000-4,000 would he have got a fine of €350? I doubt it. If he broke into a persons garage and stole 3 cars I wonder if it would have been so light.

I still get the impression it is treated like some sort of schoolyard crime, to be expected.

It would be good if certain items did get a different penalty, seeing as they are so commonly stolen and easy to get rid of I would like to see higher sentences. They would not even have to officially change the law, just make it widely known that they will be prosecuted to the fullest if caught. Like how some countries have extremely harsh laws on postal theft, I presume partly since it is quite easy to commit.
    My bike is probably worth more than my car. :eek:

I got a letter from victim support about the attempted theft of my bike. The guy was charged, didn't turn up to court, was arrested on foot of a bench warrant then released with a new date and didn't turn up again, arrested on foot of a second bench warrant and held in custody for 3 days. He was then brought to court and fined €150 and has 180 days(!) to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I got a letter from victim support about the attempted theft of my bike. The guy was charged, didn't turn up to court, was arrested on foot of a bench warrant then released with a new date and didn't turn up again, arrested on foot of a second bench warrant and held in custody for 3 days. He was then brought to court and fined €150 and has 180 days(!) to pay

Is it not a criminal offence to not turn up? Jesus H Christ, the amount of tax payers money wasted on even getting him to court???? And then he's fined that nominal fee????

I'd expect he's not paying for a solicitor either. :mad:

Meh, he got a bot of hardship out of it and at the time of arrest he was left in a bit of a state. He picked the wrong bike to lift that day and hopefully he'll think twice the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Getting all the advertising sites to quote the serial number of the bike would be a great was to make it much harder to sell on the stolen bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Getting all the advertising sites to quote the serial number of the bike would be a great was to make it much harder to sell on the stolen bike.

That's a great idea, it'd make it very googleable. Bike stolen -> Garda googles the serial -> hey presto, there's your thief (or fence). Making a photo of said serial number mandatory too might help stop people just spoofing them to get around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldn't work. The Gardai have found 40fts full of stolen bikes before, most of em are exported. Only the small time lads put em back on Done deal. Some questioning at Dublin Port might help disrupt it.

p15574 wrote: »
    That's a great idea, it'd make it very googleable. Bike stolen -> Garda googles the serial -> hey presto, there's your thief (or fence). Making a photo of said serial number mandatory too might help stop people just spoofing them to get around this.

Be easy for somebody to just make up a random number and claim its the serial....most people wouldn't bother to even check it.

Unless you had a database that will verify the number as belonging to that make/motel etc such a system would be useless and open to awful abuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement