Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Haka: What would AH suggest as the best response?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm all for respecting it. What I don't like is that we aren't allowed two anthems when playing away but they can do the Haka home or away...

The actual anthems that we use are another discussion entirely.

Ya its a total different discussion , but its more a mutual lets not go there thing between the irfu and world rugby, irfu don't push it so as not to upset some of the nordies.

The play it in dublin , limerick or wherever in the 26 counties for obvious reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This is my favourite version...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsLCxtV29BI

knocking the gilt off the gingerbread, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

A power nap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'd find it hard to not laugh in their faces.

"So, you are grown men performing a dance for me and my buddies before we play a game with each other like children?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭trashcan

Edit: Just seen the video doesn't show the NZ part, here it is

Munster look like they're lining up to do the can-can in response there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The Haka is the pre match ritual of the All Blacks, New Zealand's rugby union team. Essentially it's a Maori war dance to intimidate opponents. Teams tend to line up to face it and try to face it down. We have never beaten the All Blacks in an international. What's the best response to it apart from winning the match? Turn your back to show contempt for primitive rituals? For the hypocrisy of white New Zealanders adopting a cultural relic from the people they dispossessed? Not taking it seriously and giving them the finger? Bombard it with garryowens? Riverdance? What says AH?

Just use the time to mentally prepare for impending annihilation? ;)

If they find themselves facing the Haka, they may worry about responding to their exit from the world cup. Never mind the Haka! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just a poor man's Macarena tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If they find themselves facing the Haka, they may worry about responding to their exit from the world cup. Never mind the Haka! ;)
    Third place playoff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Richie Kavanagh.. that should sort the Kiwis out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

That's probably the best response, just laugh at the white guys of European extraction thinking they're Maori. It would be like a US national team coming onto the field and doing a native American Indian dance. Completely stupid and laughable.

Not if people of Maori descent support the tradition being continued by these white men. Which is worse, white men eroding or scoffing at the native customs or respectfully taking them on?

Cultures are meant to be shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think Riverdance needs to be mentioned again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Do this dance back at them. Much scarier than the Haka.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

I cant post video clips, but this needs Daniel O'Donnell singing "I want to dance with you" as a response.
    That'll soften their cough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

That's probably the best response, just laugh at the white guys of European extraction thinking they're Maori. It would be like a US national team coming onto the field and doing a native American Indian dance. Completely stupid and laughable.

Maybe half of the team are of Maori extraction. The Maori community in New Zealand are by and large proud of the All Backs, the large Maori representation among them and their honouring of Maori ritual. Like sport itself, the Haka is a unifying, inclusive thing. If you are a kiwi you get to perform no matter what shade you happen to be.

If the Maori are not offended, why should anyone else be? If they are proud and happy to see their culture honoured by their national team who are you to sneer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

DeadHand wrote: »
    If they are proud and happy to see their culture honoured by their national team who are you to sneer?

He is Corvus Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shake And Vac ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't get why so many here are butthurt about the Haka. I think it's class and one of the things i look forward to seeing every time I watch NZ or any of the Islands play. The whole thing about the response too makes it even more interesting. Crying about "grown men dancing" or comparing it to WWF is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't get why so many here are butthurt about the Haka.

IMO, the AB's are welcome to do the haka, though as a side issue I do think it has lost meaning by being overused, but thats a different matter.

What I completely disagree with is the fact that the other team are forced to stand and watch it. They should absolutely be allowed to go off and do a drill or a huddle or whatever they want while they are waiting, instead of having to act out a hard man glare because thats all they are allowed to do.

When the opposition get targeted because of "disrespecting" the haka it just shows how much bull**** it all is. Do your dance if you want, but it loses all meaning if you can t do it without making the other side stand and watch when they don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

This is the appropriate response
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZlr1wlaaQ#t=50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Evey team should stand in line facing them.
    Heads, bowed and eyes closed.
    In remembrance of a former capped player as chosen by the Captain.

They'll feel bad for interrupting another team's 'ritual' while they shout and jump around.

IMO, the AB's are welcome to do the haka, though as a side issue I do think it has lost meaning by being overused, but thats a different matter.

What I completely disagree with is the fact that the other team are forced to stand and watch it. They should absolutely be allowed to go off and do a drill or a huddle or whatever they want while they are waiting, instead of having to act out a hard man glare because thats all they are allowed to do.

When the opposition get targeted because of "disrespecting" the haka it just shows how much bull**** it all is. Do your dance if you want, but it loses all meaning if you can t do it without making the other side stand and watch when they don't want to.

How forced are the teams into standing and watching it? Is it some rugby rule or are they just afraid the AB's will open a can of whoop ass on them if they were to go ahead and warm up?

IMO most teams that play against them enjoy the challenge of facing it down. I'm sure that it psyches up the opposition as much if not more than it does the AB's themselves.

If teams didn't want to face it then I'm sure by now a few teams that are playing against them would have just ignored it and carried on with their business. Australia and SA would have no fear of them so I don't really buy the "fear of targeting" or "allowed to" unless there is actually a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

valoren wrote: »
    Evey team should stand in line facing them.
    Heads, bowed and eyes closed.
    In remembrance of a former capped player as chosen by the Captain.

They'll feel bad for interrupting another team's 'ritual' while they shout and jump around.

They wouldn't give a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

How forced are the teams into standing and watching it? Is it some rugby rule or are they just afraid the AB's will open a can of whoop ass on them if they were to go ahead and warm up?

IMO most teams that play against them enjoy the challenge of facing it down. I'm sure that it psyches up the opposition as much if not more than it does the AB's themselves.

If teams didn't want to face it then I'm sure by now a few teams that are playing against them would have just ignored it and carried on with their business. Australia and SA would have no fear of them so I don't really buy the "fear of targeting" or "allowed to" unless there is actually a rule.

Pretty sure the opposing team has to stand and face on the 10m line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Anyone suggested this already?

Pretty sure the opposing team has to stand and face on the 10m line

By convention or by ruling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

By convention or by ruling?

I'm not entirely sure tbh. Take what you want from this quote, admittedly from a wiki page
    Following the final of the 2011 World Cup, the French national team was fined by the IRB for marching to within 10 meters of their All Black opponents during the performance of the haka. To many, this has been viewed as an insult from the IRB. Campbell Live host John Campbell voluntarily offered to pay off the fine by going around the public and asking them to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Do what David Campese did at the 1991 World Cup. Ignored it and did his own warmup. NZ are like a bunch of children if anyone "disrespects" them.

I think on that occasion the whole team did it.
    AFAIK they did that in New Zealand as well.

I know at one stage in New Zealand Campese warmed up down at the posts and the crowd went ballistic because he couldn't be bothered watching them dace about.

They spent most of the match trying to kill him ala Brian O'Driscoll.
    Of course Campo had the last laugh when he helped beat them.

There was also rumour he sang ba ba black sheep back during one haka.

The Aussies really know how to wind up the kiwis.

I have to say they are poor winners as well.
    Mccaws speech after the 2011 final was so disrespectful of the French team.
    Just laugh at them. A bunch of middle class, middle aged, white men doing a Maori War Dance. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Actually a fair chunk of them are Maori or Samoan actually.
    If they were taken out of the team you would left with shag all.

I am not allowed discuss …

I'm not entirely sure tbh. Take what you want from this quote, admittedly from a wiki page

This is from a few years ago, but it looks to me like the only actual rule is that they can't encroach a 10 meter zone from their own half way line while it's going on. That's to stop players coming up nose to nose with them and possibly starting a row, or another stand off like the Wales game when both teams refused to turn around.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/4120053/IRB-gets-tough-over-haka-confrontations

It looks like there's no rule, only a recommendation that teams should face the Haka and if a team wants to carry out their warm up during this period they can do so as long they stay well in their own half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

This is from a few years ago, but it looks to me like the only actual rule is that they can't encroach a 10 meter zone from their own half way line while it's going on. That's to stop players coming up nose to nose with them and possibly starting a row, or another stand off like the Wales game when both teams refused to turn around.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/4120053/IRB-gets-tough-over-haka-confrontations

It looks like there's no rule, only a recommendation that teams should face the Haka and if a team wants to carry out their warm up during this period they can do so as long they stay well in their own half.

This is true. The only rule is the opposing team can't advance past the 10m line. This is stop any potential fights like what nearly happened between Cockerill and Hewitt in 1998. Fights have happened in the past following the Haka in rugby league matches.

TBH the All Blacks couldn't give a sh1t what the opposition does. They do the Haka and then look to kick the crap out of the other team. If you are intimidated by it or need to come up with a response then you probably shouldn't be playing pro-rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

let this lad loose during the Haka, that'd learn 'em :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    TBH the All Blacks couldn't give a sh1t what the opposition does.

Except that they will get very butthurt and try to injure you if they think you disrespected their dance.

Except that they will get very butthurt and try to injure you if they think you disrespected their dance.

What are you on about? Like when? They seriously don't care what the opposition does.

Why is it only British and Irish teams that go on about the Haka? Is it really that scary? Doesn't bother any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do one back like Munster did.

Except that was done from players from New Zealand and another team that do the Haka so thats why they did it. There was 4 I think. (should have watched video)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What are you on about? Like when? They seriously don't care what the opposition does.

Why is it only British and Irish teams that go on about the Haka? Is it really that scary? Doesn't bother any other country.

There are a some people here who draw a comparison to when the Lions played the AB O'Driscoll went up near the and plucked a piece of grass and threw let it fall down. A few minuted later we had the spear tackle on O'Driscoll that had him out injured. So it MUST had been because he disrespected the Haka they tried to injure him where he could not play anymore

Edit: There is no rule to standing up to the Haka just not get too close to them. Standing up and facing it is seen as you accept there challenge.

Moaning about the Haka appears to be directly related to the likelihood of embarrassing defeat. That's why the general public in AUS and RSA don't generally give a ****e about the Haka. Their teams are more equal opponents for AB's. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Anyone know do their other international teams e.g soccer,cricket and netball do a Haka before their games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

the Devils in Skirts from the Carry On Up The Khyber film where they flash the 'enemy' Indian natives which frightens the stuffing out of them and makes them stand down.
    priceless
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-3dqb1izAo

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Anyone know do their other international teams e.g soccer,cricket and netball do a Haka before their games?
    Be warned, these will make you cringe!

Obligatory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, they had a strop when Wales wanted to sing a song afterwards. And now it's an offence to do anything cos they go crying to the IRB when anyone dares challenge it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Well, they had a strop when Wales wanted to sing a song afterwards. And now it's an offence to do anything cos they go crying to the IRB when anyone dares challenge it.

Such an ignorant statement. Do some research instead of reading sensationalist articles from tabloid journalists and you might learn something.

Such an ignorant statement. Do some research instead of reading sensationalist articles from tabloid journalists and you might learn something.
    Are you doing a haka right now? Slapping your thighs in anger across the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't need to read any tabloid journalists version of events, I remember it clearly. I also remember that New Zealand allowed journalists into the dressing room to see it.
    Great team, but like kids when they don't get their own way. New Zealand fans are similar, worst losers in world sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd have Darren Randolph punt it high up the pitch for Shane Long to belt past their keeper.

Keep yer feckin rugby!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Blast them with piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Riverdance

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Be warned, these will make you cringe!

Ahahaha! Jesus Christ, you'd nearly hide behind the couch for those.

To the OP's question, the appropriate response is to ignore them doing their little song and dance and continue practicing/warm-up. Try and keep the giggles in and focus on the game at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd love to see their football team try it, can't find any footage of it though. Search says that Fifa banned their women's football team from performing it last year so that's that probably - http://fusion.net/story/148410/2015-womens-world-cup-haka-new-zealand/

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't need to read any tabloid journalists version of events, I remember it clearly. I also remember that New Zealand allowed journalists into the dressing room to see it.
    Great team, but like kids when they don't get their own way. New Zealand fans are similar, worst losers in world sport.

Do some research. Look up the history. You might learn something. Could be interesting.

Yes Ireland are much better losers than NZ. I guess practice makes perfect :D

Advertisement