Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir - who? what?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

riclad wrote: »
    Before the web, and , dot com names ,
    com is short for telecom ,
    eircom makes sense , irish telecom company.
    Eir is an awful  name, everyone already knows what eircom means.

They are no longer just a telecoms company, they are now a quad play company, the only one in this country so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Eir doesn't make any sense in either "Eircom" or "Eir" to be honest. In Irish "eire" eg without é doesn't sound like let alone mean the same thing as Éire ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are no longer just a telecoms company, they are now a quad play company, the only one in this country so far.

You do know that Quad Play is a term exclusive to telecommunications companies? The bundle is all communications packages. They are a Telecoms business. Eircom was therefore very fitting. eir is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most of their revenue comes from telephone calls, data, or mobile calls ,
    they are still a telecom company .
    They sell acess to sky and upc to provide broadband .
    i see nothing wrong with the old name .
    Broadband is becoming more important,
    some people or business,s wont move to a certain area if there is not fast
    broadband avaidable .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's great if you get significant savings by going down that route and you need all four options. Otherwise not so much.

The killer three are BB + TV + Mobile. Esp,. if you could get great bundles on all the mobiles of a family.

Landline not so much.

UPC are trialling a mobile phone option.
    How did the SKY/Telefonica thing work out across the pond ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The problem with Eircom is there were too many Eir heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Er? Terrible name.

Think someone made an Eirror with this one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Hits954

The killer three are BB + TV + Mobile. Esp,. if you could get great bundles on all the mobiles of a family.

Landlines ?

Strange how you left out the only one that they managed to do right here in this house.

No wonder I needed to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Frynge wrote: »
    Not even close, the opal fruits debacle cause a minor breakdown in my house.

Ah here, as horrific as that moment was, it wasnt half as bad as the whole coco pops/choco krispies fiasco, culminating in a national vote, such was the uproar amongst kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I wonder if the New Squiggle will become The Company Formally Known As Eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

This only makes their already tatty corporate image even worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The way I see this going is that everybody will keep saying Eircom like they still say ESB for Electric Ireland and Bord Gais for Gas Networks Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The way I see this going is that everybody will keep saying Eircom like they still say ESB for Electric Ireland and Bord Gais for Gas Networks Ireland.

You know, and it may be because I was off living in England for a bit, and set-ups have just ended up being electric being included in rent and no gas connected, but.. I honestly had no idea that ESB and Bord Gais were now named other things.

Doesn't help that those other names are as generic as all get-out.

And yes, if you say "Eircom", it's absolutely obvious what you mean. "Drat, the Eir bill's just come in."

"What? We get charged for air now? I thought the water was bad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Maybe this rebranding is referencing their world-class customer service shafting ability.

Customer query: "Why are you overcharging me?! Where did this unexpected termination fee come from? Why does ComReg not help me? Where is the refund you promised?"
    Their response: "Err..."

I think that could catch on alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

riclad wrote: »
    Before the web, and , dot com names ,
    com is short for telecom ,
    eircom makes sense , irish telecom company.
    Eir is an awful  name, everyone already knows what eircom means.

.com is from commerce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

The music in their new add sounds like something you'd hear in an islamic state video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Letree wrote: »
    The music in their new add sounds like something you'd hear in an islamic state video.

Actually a piece originally in Scots Gaelic translated into Irish so we can 'claim' it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just got our new phone book delivered yesterday. Branded Eircom. Looks like that was 16 million well spent.

As for the logo it reminds me of a picture of the Ebola Virus. No amount of window dressing is going to change my opinion of this tainted organisation.

degsie wrote: »
    .com is from commerce

No. Com is from communications.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »

Read the original comment. Before the .com (which Eircom was) com was communications. We are talking about EirCOM nor eir.com. The discussion is on the name not the domain.

Read the original comment. Before the .com (which Eircom was) com was communications. We are talking about EirCOM nor eir.com. The discussion is on the name not the domain.

My bad, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gandalf wrote: »
    As for the logo it reminds me of a picture of the Ebola Virus.

I actually like it :o

Scrap the cap!

As for the logo it reminds me of a picture of the Ebola Virus.
    Reminds me of my doctor's signature. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The logo already looks dated. And not in a good, "retro" way. I'm all for something a bit less "sobre and clean", because sobre and clean is what everyone else is doing right now, but the curly wurly thing just looks silly, reminds me of Comic Sans (as well as Arabic, although that's not even as curly wurly).

I do like change sometimes, like the new Google writing is so nice, Microsoft always seem to hit it right when designing new icons, Iarnrod Eireann's new logo looks great ...

The Eir one is just not an improvement imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Methinks the rebranding effort is an attempt to brush some bad memories under the table (Eircom shares and such)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Just got our new phone book delivered yesterday.

Are they still doing them. Haven't seen an eircom book in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Methinks the rebranding effort is an attempt to brush some bad memories under the table (Eircom shares and such)
    Not going to push many bad memories under the table, with their current abysmally shítty treatment of customers - especially how they love to shaft people on termination fees, and attack their credit rating if people balk at that (all with ComRegs consent-through-inaction).

Iarnrod Eireann's new logo looks great ...

Not terribly original. Just yet another incarnation of other rail company's arrow logos which date back to the mid 60's at least.

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    I just think it's a shame and an oversight that the town/area you live in is not reflected in the postcode!

The codes are so random as to be annoying, and there seems like little rhyme nor reason to how they are compiled.

If you live in Dun Laoghaiore, then I think DL should be in the code, if you live in Bray, BR should be included in the code, if you live in Black Rock BR or BK might be included in the code ... That way, the area code can be roughly identified by anybody, (without the need for a directory) that requires a fee!

And how can Eir affect or change this? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I think he's in the wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Not terribly original. Just yet another incarnation of other rail company's arrow logos which date back to the mid 60's at least.

No, but original is not always what's expected is it ?
    It didn't serve Eir very well to try and go fancy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But it does highlight just how confusing and pointless this rebrand is I suppose!

Reminds me of an old "That's Life" sketch, where the Gas Electricity board were blamed for absolutely everything! :D

edit found it! ;)

No! Do you really think so? ;)

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But it does highlight just how confusing and pointless this rebrand is I suppose!

I think Eircom and Eircode would still have caused this particular confusion somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think Eircom and Eircode would still have caused this particular confusion somehow.

Eircommode.

Well they do say our population is ageing

Scrap the cap!

No, but original is not always what's expected is it ?
    It didn't serve Eir very well to try and go fancy imo.

It's clunky and ugly looking to boot, but the whole Eir thing is just plain pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Right after the rebranding, i spotted a new eir van in my locality. parted next to a pole at the side of the road.

great, i think to myself, finally they are getting the exchanges done in our area.
    (very bad broadband in our area)

see the van there the next day, and the next, then on the last day, i'm driving by the van, no one in it, driving a little bit past the van, see the owner in a field next to the van, counting cattle.

finally dawns on me, that hes there counting his cattle each morning, and NOT improving the broadband :)

at least the 16Mil got him a spanking new van,.....as for the broadband, we will have to sit tight....i think its coming in 2016... :)

Ah, so you saw an Eircow van! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

That Cohaagen is a right b*stard charging people for eir......

Advertisement