Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack - Unsigned Code on current Kernels incl. X360 SLIM

Options
  • 28-08-2011 5:22pm

Wow :D

The reset glitch in a few words
    ===============================

We found that by sending a tiny reset pulse to the processor while it is slowed down does not reset it but instead changes the way the code runs, it seems it's very efficient at making bootloaders memcmp functions always return "no differences". memcmp is often used to check the next bootloader SHA hash against a stored one, allowing it to run if they are the same. So we can put a bootloader that would fail hash check in NAND, glitch the previous one and that bootloader will run, allowing almost any code to run.
    http://libxenon.org/index.php?topic=145.msg614

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Aw, now I'm not gonna be l33t cuz I have a jtag :(

Poor MS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It. Has. Happened!? OMG!

*drools*

Whats the c-mod pcb thingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

More Info:
    This hack cannot be patched :)

But at the moment you cannot play any backup, just any applications compiled under LibXenon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Looking forward to this maturing. I don't really use my xbox and it'd make a great emulation machine.

• Advertisement

RealistSpy wrote: »
    More Info:
    This hack cannot be patched :)

I'm curious as to why the bootloader (CB) can't be patched so that memcmp returns the actual memcmp value, and not "no difference" all the time. Unless the reason memcmp is returning no difference is because of the glitch, if so then epic win :P
    But at the moment you cannot play any backup, just any applications compiled under LibXenon

Good. Doubtless there are already smart people thinking how to get FreeBOOT running though :P

I just read through it all there, absolutely epic stuff from the researchers, really. It is astonishing they were able to figure it all out and yes, it appears there is no way to patch this.

The CPLD starter kit is rather pricey, and it's getting used every time the glitch happens so I'm going to wait until there's a smaller ARM/PIC version and then I'll get soldering. Fawking SWEEEEEEEEEEET!

it appears there is no way to patch this.

I've heard that far too many times in Sony circles, MS will come up with something I'm sure. Though they're tipped to annouce the 360's successor at next years E3 so they may not invest too heavily in fixing this if it proves so.

There might be a way to fix it, but it involves changing CB at the very least. So in other words, don't update :D But it's opened up pretty much all consoles to Xell/Homebrew, we're back to 2009 again :P

There might be a way to fix it, but it involves changing CB at the very least. So in other words, don't update :D But it's opened up pretty much all consoles to Xell/Homebrew, we're back to 2009 again :P

Indeed, I wonder how long it'll take before we see the likes of FSD on a slim? Not long given how smart some of these guys are. That really came outta the blue!

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Indeed, I wonder how long it'll take before we see the likes of FSD on a slim? Not long given how smart some of these guys are. That really came outta the blue!

A real team effort over on XBH it seems, completely out of the blue though with no hints or "preview videos" or anything. Love the info dump :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Wahey :D
    I knew it would eventually happen

downside-there goes the jtag trade with its ridiculous prices

edit-just looked at the install -thats some delicate soldering in places (makes the jtag hack look like childsplay).
    But Im going to do this to my jasper once this hack matures a bit more and theres more info on it
    Sickened xenons aren't compatible though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

finally something new to do.

I'm going to deeper study it after my dissertation. can't wait!

The CPLD starter kit is rather pricey, ...

not really if you shop around. Farnell has one for £35 and I just found this. Time to buy one before they will be sold out!

docentore wrote: »
    finally something new to do.

I'm going to deeper study it after my dissertation. can't wait!

Hope it's going well for you docentore :) Thanks for the link too ;)
    downside-there goes the jtag trade with its ridiculous prices

A JTAG takes at least 2 hours to do between disassembly, soldering the nand, reading the nand, writing the nand, soldering the JTAG, testing and reassembly. Some boards are fussy and take much longer, I've had boards take me 5 hours trying this and that because the regular way doesn't work. This is free time, and I don't know about you but I'm not working in my spare time for free, or even remotely near minimum wage.
    Sickened xenons aren't compatible though

Me too, but I have Jasper I can try it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Great news a little more than a year since the Slims release and they have already managed to crack it open

Ordered a JTAG programmer and two C-mod boards (same ones used by the libxenon folks) so I've got one spare if anybody feels up for a challenge - PM me :)

*Edit: Mods - if this breaks any rules or lies borderline, then work away. I'll post it for sale on adverts instead [when it arrives]*

Ordered a JTAG programmer and two C-mod boards (same ones used by the libxenon folks) so I've got one spare if anybody feels up for a challenge - PM me :)

*Edit: Mods - if this breaks any rules or lies borderline, then work away. I'll post it for sale on adverts instead [when it arrives]*

First in line when it arrives how much did you get them for?

Total price was €64 for two C-mod boards and the JTAG3 LPT programmer - USB XilinX programmers are definitely not cheap at €45+. Taking off the price of the JTAG3 cable, and splitting the costs down the middle it works out at €26.50 inc shipping each.

Obviously ordering in bulk is the thing to do as shipping wasn't cheap but there's not much point in ordering lots as I'd say there are people converting it to work on other cheaper setups and Xecutor will likely come up with a nice fancy PCB job soon. I just couldn't wait :D

I'm just after going through ebay and other sites in search for cheap jasper/slim with broken dvd etc. There are some cheap slim mobos on fleabay. Might pick up one to play around with it

• Advertisement

I thought about that too but it'd be dodgy enough buying a slim mobo on ebay - never know what some guy has done to it like heatgunned the crap outta it :D

I have a Jasper on the latest dash I'm going to test this on, got my eye out for somebody willing to loan me their slim too :P
    Thank you for your order.

Because of an unexpected great demand for C-Mod we have a delivery bottleneck. At the moment we can't say a deliver time.
    We hope that we know more until tomorrow and inform you about a delivery time than.

Your credit card reservation has not been booked yet.

Thank your for understanding.

Best regards

LOL! :D

FFplay360 was released - a homebrew media player based on ffmpeg that'll play 720p and they're working on 1080p too. This week just gets better!

*Edit:* With the board being out of stock I might be able to amend my order to add more people on and split the cost better. Failing that I'll just go to the supplier myself, they deal with the public but it takes a bit longer for delivery. So yeah, if you're in any way interested in jumping on the early glitch train, PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This is brilliant news! EPIC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

any relation between this and the new banwave thats just kicked off?

Helix wrote: »
    any relation between this and the new banwave thats just kicked off?

Unlikely surely? Seeing as it cannot run backups at the moment it wouldn't be of interest to most of the folks the banwave would be targeting...

Cmod supplies just dried up until October ... o_O :eek:

Cmod supplies just dried up until October ... o_O :eek:

Oh no! :O

It's all right, I just trawled through a thread over on TX that said they've designed a Nand-x Add-on (like the Probe is an Add-on to the CK3) already. I guess the next stage is production of a few boards, testing, refinement and mass production. Should be seeing low-cost activity by then, and there'll probably be a rebooter available too :D

It's all right, I just trawled through a thread over on TX that said they've designed a Nand-x Add-on (like the Probe is an Add-on to the CK3) already. I guess the next stage is production of a few boards, testing, refinement and mass production. Should be seeing low-cost activity by then, and there'll probably be a rebooter available too :D

So TX have jumped on the glitch hack?

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    So TX have jumped on the glitch hack?

thats excellent news for them. No more solutions one box for multiple consoles. They can sell thousands of modchips again

Advertisement