Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Anyone have any tips on time management? I've never really had to structure my study to do well before and I genuinely have no idea where to start in terms of making a timetable or anything! :L
    Think about how long you want to study per day.
    Lets say 3 hours.. although you are in 5th so you can probably go easier lol. I use 3 because it's easier to divide into...

Then you need to decide how many subjects a day, do you want to do 6 30 minute sessions, 1 on each, or do you want to do 3 for an hour each?

Anyway it's important not to back yourself into a corner, be flexible.. if you end up spending over 1 hour on one subject, spend less on the next day and improvise.. don't overwork yourself.. especially if you're in fifth year.. you'll be sick of it before it even starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Disorganised Disaster

How long breaks would you take between subjects then too? And do you decide what your going to study for that subject in advance or just plan as you go? :)

How long breaks would you take between subjects then too? And do you decide what your going to study for that subject in advance or just plan as you go? :)

Depends, start when you get home, do a little while, go get dinner, continue after.. everyone takes different amounts of time off between subjects
    and yeah I have everything planned out

4 subjects at 45 mins per day, just allows me to get to every one of them at least 4 times, do more on weekends... I'm in 6th year though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Hi, if anyone here does economics, could you please tell me what book your class uses? And if its good? There's no economics class in my school so I'm unsure which book(s) is/are good, ill probably get some revise wise books and use past exam papers too!

user53 wrote: »
    Hi, if anyone here does economics, could you please tell me what book your class uses? And if its good? There's no economics class in my school so I'm unsure which book(s) is/are good, ill probably get some revise wise books and use past exam papers too!

We use Leaving Cert Economics by Dennis O Grady.. it's good.. very mathematical approach to things though, but good explanations and diagrams etc. I can't speak about other books though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Kremin wrote: »
    We use Leaving Cert Economics by Dennis O Grady.. it's good.. very mathematical approach to things though, but good explanations and diagrams etc. I can't speak about other books though.

Thank you :) Yeah I'm quite maths minded so that sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Anyone doing physics think a C in hl maths for jc is okay?��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Just made a giant milestone today.

Started making dedicated study notes for geography and irish - got new folders for them and all. :D Will build it up every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

hi anyone any how to study hl french? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Conaaaa wrote: »

Yeah you'll probably be grand :) have a look at the text book and see what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

What colour does this look like? I cant see how this is gold and white.:confused:

properly_whitebalanced.jpg

coolerboy wrote: »
    What colour does this look like? I cant see how this is gold and white.☺

properly_whitebalanced.jpg

Unknown.png

It isn't gold and white, seriously.. use a paintdropper tool and try yourself.. it's just a color illusion occurring due to overexposure and bad colour balancing. It looks gold and white in the one you posted but i can still clearly see the shades of blue and why it's just happening due to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Yes. The Physics syllabus course we do it much lighter on the Maths than what it used to be. The Maths is basic rearrangement and algebra, however it is the logic behind it that makes it tough. Great subject though and really interesting and rewarding to study. If you're worried about the Maths don't be, I got a C at JC HL too and I'm doing fine at HL Physics.

Even if someone was absolutely shocking at Maths, they could achieve a C3/D1 on just knowing theory and experiments alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Oh troxck , do you feel an A grade is possible from both our maths capability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Oh troxck , do you feel an A grade is possible from both our maths capability?

Possibly, A1 grades are quite difficult to get in any subject, although I do believe that the A1/A2 rate is around 20%.

It depends on the paper, I despise the light, sound and wave sections but love the electricity and mechanics section. If the June paper is to be heavy on these topics, I would more than likely get a high grade. I am waiting for my mock result to make any predictions of predicted grades.

The course is short. My class now has only two chapters left (circular motion and the Option, Particle Physics) which we should get done in 2.5/3 weeks. This leaves the rest of the year for revision.

I have an amazing teacher and a tiny class (only 10 people) so this helps.

Tl;dr... Maths capability won't stop you getting an A1, you just need to be able to think logically and remember simple theory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

user53 wrote: »

Make sure to base your study on the syllabus. THAT is what the exam is set against, not any book.

http://www.coursehub.ie/ is back up for anyone who has an interest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Princessk98x

My maths homework is annoying me so much! I'm so close to getting the right method but need a bit of help:) ️too close to give up! It's question 13 page 179 in active maths 4 book 1! Id really appreciate the help :) thanks guys

My maths homework is annoying me so much! I'm so close to getting the right method but need a bit of help:) ️too close to give up! It's question 13 page 179 in active maths 4 book 1! Id really appreciate the help :) thanks guys
    If you write the question out I could try help.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

Is anyone here applying to uni in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone know yet, on how many days they will get off for St. Pats Day ?
    Is it 1 or 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Could someone give me a hand in these questions. Driving me mad... lol.
    I did 3.(i)(ii) Stuck in part 3.
    And then Qs. 4 part i. I got part ii.
    Much appreciated.

kb98 wrote: »
    Is anyone here applying to uni in the UK?

Meee

Beca19 wrote: »
    Meee

What would your reasons be? I'm curious. :D

What would your reasons be? I'm curious. :D

Mostly just in case I don't get med in Ireland (though there's no guarantee I get it in the UK either haha). Yeah and there's some really good unis so I might as well try, no idea how I'll get on but it's worth a shot :D

is it true that accounting is easy to get an A1 in? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

absolutely not, it's difficult

absolutely not, it's difficult
    thats what i thought too but someone told me that it was simple :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭kb98

I'm going to try and get in to do management in England, going to need like AAAABB but its so worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Nope!! You need to practice LOTS!! but there isnt a lot of theory so its just practicing accounts which isnt too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lee_la

Should've done my homework last weekend.. These French comprehensions are killing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Lee_la wrote: »
    Should've done my homework last weekend.. These French comprehensions are killing me

Those comprehensions are insanely difficult! :eek:

Meanwhile ive watched 3 seasons of grey's anatomy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I've watched 2 seasons of Grey's Anatomy, 3 seasons of Parks & Recreation and have gone out an excessive amount of times :p Even went on a roadtrip to Wicklow with my friends.

Still have homework left to do as well :rolleyes: Why did I do this to myself!?

Watched 2 seasons of wentworth prison and went out way too much. Have to read a 400 page book for monday and do an review on it..... Great.

• Advertisement

koolis02 wrote: »
    Watched 2 seasons of wentworth prison and went out way too much. Have to read a 400 page book for monday and do an review on it..... Great.

Ah here, reading is great fun! Read three 300-400 page books over the break :pac: what book do you have to review?

Ah here, reading is great fun! Read three 300-400 page books over the break :pac: what book do you have to review?

Depends on the book i suppose... Nineteen eighty-four by George Orwell So far its really boring, hopefully it picks up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Depends on the book i suppose... Nineteen eighty-four by George Orwell So far its really boring, hopefully it picks up

My friend read that. He said it was scary!

That's a real flick in the horror genre I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I read that over the break just for fun and it's actually really good. It's not a book so much about the story it's more about the setting. It's all about politics and how Orwell thought they'd be by the time 1984 came around. If you really think about it as you read it, how different is it to the world we live in now? It'd actually be quite interesting to review if you look at it from that prospective :)

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I read that over the break just for fun and it's actually really good. It's not a book so much about the story it's more about the setting. It's all about politics and how Orwell thought they'd be by the time 1984 came around. If you really think about it as you read it, how different is it to the world we live in now? It'd actually be quite interesting to review if you look at it from that prospective :)

Same as, Orwell was pretty insightful!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Hi I'm new to the boards! :-) was wondering I does anyone have notes on king Lear characters and themes. My teacher is a disaster ! She's never in and we only finished the book last week after starting in in November:O:-(:-)

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to the boards! :-) was wondering I does anyone have notes on king Lear characters and themes. My teacher is a disaster ! She's never in and we only finished the book last week after starting in in November:O:-(:-)

Nope not really sorry but I've a few essays if you want to have a look at them.. Also the mentor version of king Lear that we have has great notes and there's loads online, try shmoop or sparknotes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Nope not really sorry but I've a few essays if you want to have a look at them.. Also the mentor version of king Lear that we have has great notes and there's loads online, try shmoop or sparknotes :)

Thank u really appreciate it. :-)I will.<3

Delighted got 93% in my practice irish oral ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

coolerboy wrote: »
    Delighted got 93% in my practice irish oral ! :D

Fair play to you! Do you have any tips?, as I have an oral exam with an outside teacher as part of my summer exam and I've struggled with the oral aspect all year ( my written and aural are very strong).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 QuiteHumerus

Beca19 wrote:
    Nope not really sorry but I've a few essays if you want to have a look at them.. Also the mentor version of king Lear that we have has great notes and there's loads online, try shmoop or sparknotes

If it isn't too much bother could you send me an essay or two? I'm having trouble with structuring my king lear essays.

The irish oral ... -dies-

If it isn't too much bother could you send me an essay or two? I'm having trouble with structuring my king lear essays.

Yeah no problem, they're written by me though and I'm not claiming they're amazing or anything haha but I'll send them on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Yeah no problem, they're written by me though and I'm not claiming they're amazing or anything haha but I'll send them on :)

Oooh could you send one on to me too please, if you have time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement