Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi: 9 Eggs 99c

Options
  • 29-08-2015 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

From 30/08
    W36_PD_Sunday_New_IL5_af779acc56.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BAKE !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Not free range, pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ooooooh the egg snobs have arrived:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not free range, pass.

If you don't buy them, those poor chickens will have been cooped up for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

vicwatson wrote: »

More to do with ethics than snobbery I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

vicwatson wrote: »

Have you ever seen some of those industrial-sized chicken farms? the phrase 'headless chickens' has meaning there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bargain :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Know for a fact!
    Have see "Free range eggs" sold in farmers market, taken out of Tesco 24 value pack and then put in 6 pack box then sold as free range at a premium.
    Its just a scam, get the best price you can, never mind the marketing BS, all eggs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Know for a fact!
    Have see "Free range eggs" sold in farmers market, taken out of Tesco 24 value pack and then put in 6 pack box then sold as free range at a premium.
    Its just a scam, get the best price you can, never mind the marketing BS, all eggs are the same.

One crook is hardly representative of everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Know for a fact!

That's not exactly a good eggsample is it now?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    That's not exactly a good eggsample is it now?

A Egg is a Egg, if you where given a blind taste test between a factory farmed one and free ranged Egg you would not be able to tell the difference.
    It just marketing to get you to pay more for the same product!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

A Egg is a Egg, if you where given a blind taste test between a factory farmed one and free ranged Egg you would not be able to tell the difference.
    It just marketing to get you to pay more for the same product!

That's if you completely ignore where the egg cones from.
    Having seen the process, I'm more then happy to pay the extra few pence, so I know I'm not supporting what is, without being completely OTT, Auschwitz for animals

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Having seen the process, I'm more then happy to pay the extra few pence, so I know I'm not supporting what is, without being completely OTT, Auschwitz for animals

its a scam, a tiny % of free range eggs are actually that, and you would not be able to taste the difference, it might make you feel better by buying "free range" but it a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

UsedToWait wrote: »

I'm glad you didn't go OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'm glad you didn't go OTT.

Ah maybe i did by Godwining the thread so quickly, but it's an emotive subject, particularly of you've seen it up close...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

its a scam, a tiny % of free range eggs are actually that, and you would not be able to taste the difference, it might make you feel better by buying "free range" but it a scam.

Putting the taste aside, I'd rather pay the small bit extra to know the chicken had a small bit of a life where it could see sunlight and breath fresh air rather then be artificially reared in a shed!

Maybe it's a scam as you say, but I hope my extra few cents is making a difference to the life of a chicken somewhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Auschwitz for animals?

You, my friend, should be ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Any thought for the farmer trying make a few bob out of these eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The best price for free range eggs that I have found is Applegreen - 8 large (usually approx 70g each, so they are large!) eggs for €2 - worth paying extra for imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Nonsense! Have you a source for this claim? Farmers markets are one thing but large retailers have to ensure the product is exactly what's it's marketed as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

This is an eggstrodinary value. Surprised that ppl are not beating their way for this great bargain. I'd eggspect some scrambling at the tills for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭arch20000

degsie wrote: »
    This is an eggstrodinary value. Surprised that ppl are not beating their way for this great bargain. I'd eggspect some scrambling at the tills for this.

Eggsellent comment!!

My brother in law has a free range egg farm. While it's no sun holiday for the chickens e.g. short lifespan etc, it's a hell of a lot better than a battery hen farm. I'l pay a few cents extra!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Finally we have a retailer not charging eggstortionate prices! Now if only I could get in and out of that shop in less than 10 minutes I'd be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

As and aside from the ethics of it all I'm not sure why people supporting the idea of free range eggs are mentioning they are a few cent extra. As far as I can see they are usually at least double the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Double the life, double the price?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Can we all stop mixing up chickens and hens please?!

The laws governing the treatment of battery hens have been quite boosted in the last years. Don't but these eggs if you don't want but if you really care about ethics I hope you also don't buy any clothes\products from Bangladesh, Pakistan, China etc.

It's easy to scream ethics when it's a difference of a euro or two. I'm sure all your ethics disappear when faced with h&m, penny's, Zara and the like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Those who say there is widespread fraud should read this article involving an Irish egg farmer. While it may go on it's taken very serious by the authorities

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7421442/Man-jailed-for-selling-millions-of-battery-eggs-as-free-range.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Finally we have a retailer not charging eggstortionate prices! Now if only I could get in and out of that shop in less than 10 minutes I'd be laughing

Not sure about your local Aldi but in mine I know I can get in buy something and get out a lot quicker than in my local Lidl or Dunnes.

As for the eggs I think they are eggcellent value for money :)

The best value free range eggs I have got are 24 eggs for 3euro at a local butchers.
    I do think when you know eggs are free range they do taste nicer but in a blind test really how many of us would be able to tell the difference.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

AMKC wrote: »
    The best value free range eggs I have got are 24 eggs for €3 at a local butchers.
    Sounds too cheep to be true.
    How do you know they were free range apart from the label?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They still have them. They get them from a local farm where the hens can walk around the yard freely. How because the eggs do be different shapes and sizes. There was a couple off weeks as well where they did not have any eggs so maybe the hens were not laying then maybe on there holiday lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement