Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi laptop €229

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

L1011 wrote: »
    Dells hardware quality is not what it was 11 years ago, for starters

Theres a wide range of dells from 199 to 1999. So it depends what you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Over priced and under powered for an extra few quid you could get a real notebook/laptop and not this silly nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Amalgam wrote: »
    You will have to do a fair bit of work to get Linux on these type of netbooks, particularly if they have a UEFI bios, even more fiddly if it is a 32bit system, for some reason.

First things first, if you start to experiment on a device with a UEFI bios, bitlock encrypted by default etc. Back up your system with the backup creation tools available to you, from within the OS, I can't overstate that enough..

First thing you should do!

What about sticking an SSD in them (is this possible?) or in the more hassle than its worth?

Also - anyone know if ram can be added?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

banchang wrote: »
    2 GB memory will really struggle with Win10

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

km991148 wrote: »
    What about sticking an SSD in them (is this possible?) or in the more hassle than its worth?

Also - anyone know if ram can be added?

No, It doesn't have any type of hard drive and you can't add one. It has a memory chip, which is about the size of a USB key and uses the technology of an SD card. You won't be saving your collection of pictures, music or videos on this.

Ram is also limited as it is.

This is a tablet with a keyboard permanently attached.

On the other hand the screen is quite high quality and the battery life should be decent. It may be useful for taking college notes or browsing the internet but you won't have much success using it for anything else.

• Advertisement

Lol

Why lol

Win 10 sys requirements :-

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    RAM:
    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    Display:
    800x600

downgrade to 32 bit and itll run just fine ? the price is wrong for the features though few more quid and you have a proper laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

This Toshiba is an interesting alternative.
    2 in one tablet / keyboard.
    Competitively priced too with the "€120 off" (pinch of salt).

Great battery life as the keyboard also has a battery as well as the screen.

One main con is that the Atom cpu is at the lower end, but at the price range these are great for browsing, movies, youtube, word processing etc. Certainly not a gaming rig ;)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4021418/Trail/searchtext>MINI+CLICK.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

biebiebie wrote: »
    This Toshiba is an interesting alternative.
    2 in one tablet / keyboard.
    Competitively priced too with the "€120 off" (pinch of salt).

Great battery life as the keyboard also has a battery as well as the screen.

One main con is that the Atom cpu is at the lower end, but at the price range these are great for browsing, movies, youtube, word processing etc. Certainly not a gaming rig ;)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4021418/Trail/searchtext%3EMINI+CLICK.htm
    Less than 9" screen is very small for anything and the higher resolution is wasted.

Any laptop can be converted into a gaming laptop , some of these use pcmcia adaptors and for some laptops that have a pcie nested in underside .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

You can now turn any low end lappy into a gaming behemoth. Atoms not so much but there is a plethora of good alptops that just lack that GPU edge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Many in store?Where do they display them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Many in store?Where do they display them?

Tried 3 ALDIs today (Friday). All sold out of laptops. Pity. Was gonna buy one. :(:(

IMHO it's great value because of the 3-year guarantee. Try to get one of those from Dell & see what you'll pay! ;);)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

dbit wrote: »
    Why lol

Win 10 sys requirements :-

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
    RAM:
    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
    Hard disk space:
    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
    Graphics card:
    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
    Display:
    800x600

downgrade to 32 bit and itll run just fine ? the price is wrong for the features though few more quid and you have a proper laptop.

Lol because it wont 'struggle' with 2gb of RAM and yes your 32 bit suggestion is good.

Any laptop can be converted into a gaming laptop , some of these use pcmcia adaptors and for some laptops that have a pcie nested in underside .

You can now turn any low end lappy into a gaming behemoth. Atoms not so much but there is a plethora of good alptops that just lack that GPU edge.

Thats not turning it into a gaming laptop.
    Its turning it into a Ugly Desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

beauf wrote: »
    Thats not turning it into a gaming laptop.
    Its turning it into a Ugly Desktop.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

marrm wrote: »
    Tried 3 ALDIs today (Friday). All sold out of laptops. Pity. Was gonna buy one. :(:(

IMHO it's great value because of the 3-year guarantee. Try to get one of those from Dell & see what you'll pay! ;);)

Think I saw some in Nutgrove Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

phill106 wrote: »

If that Aldi netbook is really 1920 x 1080 IPS screen, there is no match at all with poor Argos 1366 x 768. And if you have card reader (I am almost sure both of them have) you can easily extend you storage so not worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

I've been asked to fix Medion laptops before, poor quality build. I'd sooner buy a refurbished laptop.

I wanted a closer look and found that they're only charging 150gbp in NI / UK stores which is around 207 euro on xe.com.

http://aldi.medion.com/md99599/uk/index.php

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Good luck finding pcmcia on a machine under 8 years old... And no, most low spec laptops have junk chipsets so nothing of the sort will work

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really? I was in aldi yesterday and the guy in front of me was trying to return a leaky kettle that was only 4 months old. They kept telling him he needed to take up his issue with the manufacturer as it was more than 60 days old. Shocking customer service in that instance.

They rarely deal with returns themselves and constantly send you to the manufacturer. They pretty much breach consumer legislation all the time and people just accept it.

My father in law is five months waiting on manufacturer to pull the finger out replacing a chainsaw he bought.

I'd be weary buying anything in there of significant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

TheDoc wrote: »
    They rarely deal with returns themselves and constantly send you to the manufacturer. They pretty much breach consumer legislation all the time and people just accept it.

My father in law is five months waiting on manufacturer to pull the finger out replacing a chainsaw he bought.

Sounds like you need A&E and the emergency services first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hard to understand the passion for dissing the laptop and specs. I have a top class ultra book and a very capable gaming pc, but can instantly recognise that the specs of this laptop are not targeted at me or about 90% of people in this thread.

The same way the wetsuits or Gaa gear they sell will be bought by people for casual use and not the people who are already in that field, this laptop I would think would be used by non tech people who want to dip their toe into the online world. I'd say for each laptop sold, there is a corresponding call to a tech family member as 50 year old Mary and Paddy stand in the middle of Aldi trying to understand their nephew as they explain ram and ssd drives.

Its not dissing. Its just explaining what this isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wouldn't touch that yoke, it's going to be an absolute dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

There is one left in Aldi Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Performance is good for what it is, mobile device that sips power. Performance is on par with something like ipad air or galaxy tab s which were high end tablets. The video capabilities are pretty good too with 4k playback or at least no issue with full hd content. It is running a full desktop OS.

If you want a laptop that will be used more like as a desktop replacement, plugged in 75% of the time, bit more comfortable size, bit heavier, bit more performance, there are probably more suitable laptops out there.

Windows not a perfect mobile platform but some nice advantages like playing video in one corner of screen and browsing web, proper multitasking, running full desktop apps etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

TheDoc wrote: »

You do not have to accept that. You are within your rights to deal with the point of sale regardless what they say. I got that crap from Currys a few years ago and said that I wanted them to deal with the supplier, which they did. The person I dealt with did not argue at all, he appeared to know that I had the right to return a faulty product to them for refund or repair. Their policy at the time was that if it was not sorted within two weeks, I was entitled to a refund or new product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Not worth buying, you can get better speced laptops for near enough the same price. Stay clear of Atom or Celeron. Tesco actually do good deals on laptops on occasion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jaqian wrote: »
    Not worth buying, you can get better speced laptops for near enough the same price. Stay clear of Atom or Celeron. Tesco actually do good deals on laptops on occasion.

:rolleyes:

What nonsense. Ive used plenty of Atoms since they came out. Modern Atom processors are incredibly capable and power efficient processors. Full HD is no bother on any modern Atom (this device included), and it will suffice for most every day tasks (browsing, youtube, office tasks, even basic gaming through the app store).

This device is a web-book. Main use is for consuming online media, and general every day tasks that can store the result online. It's in the same class as a chromebook, or netbooks of old.

Advertisement