Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite fan theories?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

pixelburp wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong it's a fascinating theory, but I just think the various easter eggs are no more than little background shoutouts rather than part of an all-encompassing theory. Similar to how C3PO and R2D2 can be seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark, that sort of thing; just gifts to the fans rather than clues to a grand plan of Pixar's. Still admire the imagination of those who put the theory together though :)

I don't thinks it's about easter eggs, it's more about a different way at looking at the story and finding something new within the story.
    Rather than 3po and r2d2 in raiders or the Millenium Falcon in blade runner, these have more to do with fx houses who did the fx on such films putting a little refrence to them in other films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Icaras wrote: »
    Where 007 and James bond are code names not the persons name. Does make sense when you think about it.

What about him being a martini drinking horn dog in virtually every film?

And how come Blofeld doesn't ask Goerge Lazenby "where's the last lad?" in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

The big bang theory, raiders of the lost ark theory.
    If Indiana Jones wasn't in the film the ending would be excatly the same, he even helps the nazis find the ark, although if indy wasn't there it would have taken them longer but they would have found it anyway.
    They still would have taken it to the island and opened it up and everyone would have died anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

ThirdMan wrote: »
    What about him being a martini drinking horn dog in virtually every film?

And how come Blofeld doesn't ask Goerge Lazenby "where's the last lad?" in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Who doesnt like a good martini and the company of a beautiful lady with a dirty sounding name?

Blofeld is a supervillian, of course he knew the secret. You dont get a secret volcano island base by sheer luck.

Actually Blofeld was a secret code name for the leader of spectre too!!! Fan theory heard here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The one thing I don't like about the Pixar theory is that it includes the Cars films ... I really don't like the Cars' films.

There was another theory by the same site recently that Andy's Mom in Toy Story is Jessie's original owner
    http://jonnegroni.com/2014/02/24/the-true-identity-of-andys-mom-in-toy-story-will-blow-your-mind/

Re the Bond theory I don't really buy into it. Two code names is just daft, even in the Bond universe. Anyway Craig's films are clearly a reboot and don't count, in CR he was James Bond before becoming a 00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Here's one I have about Calvary.

Warning! This contains major spoilers for the film! Don't read until you've seen it.
    After the events of Calvary, Chris O'Dowd's character has a further breakdown in prison, leading him to write an romanticised, light-hearted, nostalgic account of what his life should have been like had he not been abused, with his idealised current self as a protector and confidante of his younger self. He incorporated elements from his present into the past narrative (mafia altar boys) and it became Moone Boy.

When he left prison, he couldn't get a job and so moved to England and got the only job a marginalised psychopath could - the IT department in Reynholm Industries.

It's either that or I can't tell when Chris O'Dowd is playing different characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The big bang theory, raiders of the lost ark theory.
    If Indiana Jones wasn't in the film the ending would be excatly the same, he even helps the nazis find the ark, although if indy wasn't there it would have taken them longer but they would have found it anyway.
    They still would have taken it to the island and opened it up and everyone would have died anyway.

But the film is about the adventure, the journey. No one is disputing that the events would have unfolded the same. Thats why the Big Bang theory annoys me.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But the film is about the adventure, the journey. No one is disputing that the events would have unfolded the same. Thats why the Big Bang theory annoys me.

And maybe because it's a theory from a pretty lame sit com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

Timmyctc wrote: »

It's not really a theory though in the same way that the others are though. If someone had a theory that Indy was secretly a Nazi or an Angel or something it would fit.

And the big bang theory is lame but that particular observation was very funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

blue note wrote: »
    It's not really a theory though in the same way that the others are though. If someone had a theory that Indy was secretly a Nazi or an Angel or something it would fit.

And the big bang theory is lame but that particular observation was very funny.

did it originate in the big bang theory?

am I really going to have to respect the writers of the big bang theory for something?

• Advertisement

The big bang theory is a show for people who wear hipster glasses and have a tshirt that says
    "use the force harry"

am I really going to have to respect the writers of the big bang theory for something?

I doubt it, I'd say it was probably posted on ylyl before with the dinosaur meme or something. And it was probably said by people in the 1980s as well.

But in fairness I imagine great writers keep notes of things they hear and might use in the future. And I'd say it's a great skill to recognise what to keep note of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surely it would have originated around a half hour after Raiders first aired? :D

It is true when you back away from the film and look at it rationally you realise Indy's involvement was broadly irrelevant to the conclusion, but as mentioned the joy of the film was the adventure rather than the plot. The Big Bang Theory just brought it to broader attention by dint of being a popular sitcom (that perpetuates crass, lazy stereotypes, but that's another days rant ;))

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Indiana Jones theory is pretty good, and the one hole that I heard that was plausible was the fact that the Nazi's wouldn't have found Marion without Indy finding her first. I'm not sure if that was ever plugged.

CatInABox wrote: »
    The Indiana Jones theory is pretty good, and the one hole that I heard that was plausible was the fact that the Nazi's wouldn't have found Marion without Indy finding her first. I'm not sure if that was ever plugged.

I dunno I'd say ravenwood would have spilled his guts after a good few beatings, u know them nazis are hard to say no to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

vee haf vays of making you talk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

vee haf vays of making you talk...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't think the Indiana Jones one holds water. If Indiana wasn't about, then it's still quite likely that the ark would have been found. It would just have taken longer (it's set in 1936, so they had a long time to scour the general area to find it and considering one of the entrances to the Ark room was beside the airport, it's certain they'd have found it). And even though the Nazis would still have died when they opened it, others would come to see what happened to them. A load of melted bodies around the ark would indicate that things didn't go according to plan, so they'd have to experiment with the ark to find out how to control it. Worst case scenario, the only way of using it would be to drop it on the front lines or in a city, and have it opened by someone who doesn't know they're going to die.

One theory I heard recently enough is that Titanic/Gatsby one:

1370038706671603_tall.jpg

humanji wrote: »
    I don't think the Indiana Jones one holds water. If Indiana wasn't about, then it's still quite likely that the ark would have been found. It would just have taken longer (it's set in 1936, so they had a long time to scour the general area to find it and considering one of the entrances to the Ark room was beside the airport, it's certain they'd have found it). And even though the Nazis would still have died when they opened it, others would come to see what happened to them. A load of melted bodies around the ark would indicate that things didn't go according to plan, so they'd have to experiment with the ark to find out how to control it. Worst case scenario, the only way of using it would be to drop it on the front lines or in a city, and have it opened by someone who doesn't know they're going to die.

One theory I heard recently enough is that Titanic/Gatsby one:

1370038706671603_tall.jpg

Nah that's just the same actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That the fast and the furious is the exact same film as point break.

• Advertisement

That the fast and the furious is the exact same film as point break.

More of an opinion than a theory.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    More of an opinion than a theory.

ok, not a movie as such, but how about the one where "the wire" and "the x files" exist in the same fictional universe? They're linked by 2 detectives that show up in both series.

ok, not a movie as such, but how about the one where "the wire" and "the x files" exist in the same fictional universe? They're linked by 2 detectives that show up in both series.

That's more like it ;). Although I haven't finished The Wire and haven't seen any X-Files so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has no one mentioned Pulp Fiction and the Soul in the Suitcase yet? that's surely the best one!

bullvine wrote: »
    Has no one mentioned Pulp Fiction and the Soul in the Suitcase yet? that's surely the best one!

go on …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

FunLover18 wrote: »
    go on …

Ok maybe I'm showing my age and experience of the Interweb but a long time ago, there was a story that Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the suitcase and had been extracted from him or he had sold it hence the band aid on his neck. It was very detailed and clever but essentially the reason Jules and Vincent didn't get shot at the end was because they were saving a soul and god intervened.

I like the one that reckoned that all tarantinos films are set in 1 universe, that Inglorious basterds ending created the emphasis that each film places on pop culture, that mr white and Vincent vega are brothers, and that Mia Wallace got the acting job to star in the movie (cant remember the name now - think it was fox force five) - which is essentially Kill Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

that is was cobb really being incepted the whole time in 'inception'.

bullvine wrote: »
    Ok maybe I'm showing my age and experience of the Interweb but a long time ago, there was a story that Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the suitcase and had been extracted from him or he had sold it hence the band aid on his neck. It was very detailed and clever but essentially the reason Jules and Vincent didn't get shot at the end was because they were saving a soul and god intervened.

I remember hearing that one. Supposedly the back of the neck is where you go to extract someone's soul. And the combination for the suitcase was the devil's number - 666. There was something about the glow from it too. Maybe it glowed and when yer man in the chair was shot there was a glow as well, so maybe that glow was his soul leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Advertisement