Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite fan theories?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That the fast and the furious is the exact same film as point break.

More of an opinion than a theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

FunLover18 wrote: »
    More of an opinion than a theory.

ok, not a movie as such, but how about the one where "the wire" and "the x files" exist in the same fictional universe? They're linked by 2 detectives that show up in both series.

ok, not a movie as such, but how about the one where "the wire" and "the x files" exist in the same fictional universe? They're linked by 2 detectives that show up in both series.

That's more like it ;). Although I haven't finished The Wire and haven't seen any X-Files so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Has no one mentioned Pulp Fiction and the Soul in the Suitcase yet? that's surely the best one!

bullvine wrote: »
    Has no one mentioned Pulp Fiction and the Soul in the Suitcase yet? that's surely the best one!

go on …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

go on …

Ok maybe I'm showing my age and experience of the Interweb but a long time ago, there was a story that Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the suitcase and had been extracted from him or he had sold it hence the band aid on his neck. It was very detailed and clever but essentially the reason Jules and Vincent didn't get shot at the end was because they were saving a soul and god intervened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I like the one that reckoned that all tarantinos films are set in 1 universe, that Inglorious basterds ending created the emphasis that each film places on pop culture, that mr white and Vincent vega are brothers, and that Mia Wallace got the acting job to star in the movie (cant remember the name now - think it was fox force five) - which is essentially Kill Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

that is was cobb really being incepted the whole time in 'inception'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Ok maybe I'm showing my age and experience of the Interweb but a long time ago, there was a story that Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the suitcase and had been extracted from him or he had sold it hence the band aid on his neck. It was very detailed and clever but essentially the reason Jules and Vincent didn't get shot at the end was because they were saving a soul and god intervened.

I remember hearing that one. Supposedly the back of the neck is where you go to extract someone's soul. And the combination for the suitcase was the devil's number - 666. There was something about the glow from it too. Maybe it glowed and when yer man in the chair was shot there was a glow as well, so maybe that glow was his soul leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I like the one that reckoned that all tarantinos films are set in 1 universe, that Inglorious basterds ending created the emphasis that each film places on pop culture, that mr white and Vincent vega are brothers, and that Mia Wallace got the acting job to star in the movie (cant remember the name now - think it was fox force five) - which is essentially Kill Bill.

I always thought it was a given that they were?

Its been a couple of years since I saw it but the scene in Reservoir Dogs with Joe & Mr White, a thief named Alabama is mentioned, the main character in True Romance is Alabama Worley (the original ending of True Romance has Clarence die which points to his widow pursuing a life of crime as a result)

There is also the scene with Joe & Mr Blonde when iirc a Vic Vega is mentioned, Travolta is named Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, I thought them to be brothers.

Jack Scagnetti is a cop in Natural Born Killers and Seymour Scagnetti is the parole officer in Reservoir Dogs (never seen on screen though)

Red Apple cigarettes crop up across the movies too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its been a couple of years since I saw it but the scene in Reservoir Dogs with Joe & Mr White, a thief named Alabama is mentioned, the main character in True Romance is Alabama Worley (the original ending of True Romance has Clarence die which points to his widow pursuing a life of crime as a result)

There is also the scene with Joe & Mr Blonde when iirc a Vic Vega is mentioned, Travolta is named Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, I thought them to be brothers.

Jack Scagnetti is a cop in Natural Born Killers and Seymour Scagnetti is the parole officer in Reservoir Dogs (never seen on screen though)

Yeah sure Tarrentino was going to make a film about the Vega brothers. I don't quite know about the link with Inglorious etc. Seems a bit of a stretch. But RE: the soul thing above. Didn't Vincent die in Pulp Fiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

I got a theory that Big Bang Theory gives people cancer

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Timmyctc wrote: »
    But RE: the soul thing above. Didn't Vincent die in Pulp Fiction?

During a different mission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The idea that The Incredibles is a homage to Ayn Rand and in particular her book Atlas Shrugged. (example)

The general idea behind the film is that superheroes should be true to their nature as superheroes, because they really are special and shouldn't pretend to be normal. It's essentially an anti-egalitarian message:
    Helen: "Everyone's special, Dash."
    Dash: "Which is another way of saying no one is."
    When Dash graduates from fourth to fifth grade, Mr. Incredible is appalled that there's a ceremony, complaining "they're constantly finding ways to celebrate mediocrity!"

In Atlas Shrugged, the "captains of industry" struggle to keep their enterprises open against greater and greater intrusion by a corrupt government, and rebel by going on "strike" and disappearing, leaving society to collapse without them. It's also about individualism in the face of mediocrity, and being better if you really are.

Poster art from the Atlas Shrugged movie a few years ago:
    Atlas-Shrugged-Movie-Poster.jpg

Still from The Incredibles, final battle against the spheroid robot:

PDVD_017.jpg

Mr. Incredible reallly does have the weight of the world on his shoulders at that point ... and he shrugs it off.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

bnt wrote: »
    The idea that The Incredibles is a homage to Ayn Rand and in particular her book Atlas Shrugged. (example)

Bird has been asked about this and openly dismissed the idea. Personally I never saw it as being a Randian discourse, certainly not when compared to eg some of Steve Ditko's stuff in his Mister A comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Eli Roth’s character from Inglorious Basterds is Donny Donowitz and the movie producer in True Romance is Lee Donowitz (his movie is a war tale “Coming home in a Body Bag”)

And although he did not write it, Tarantino produced the film Curdled, and the main character (Also the female taxi driver who helps Butch get away from the boxing arena) is watching a news report on TV at one point about the Gecko brothers (From Dust til Dawn)

Then there is the McGraws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_and_Edgar_McGraw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Theory on Disney's UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ipso wrote: »
    I read one ages ago about Contact and Pink Floyd's album Wish you were here having some kind of synch going on.

Also, The Wizard of Oz/ The Darkside of The Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

kryogen wrote: »
    Also, The Wizard of Oz/ The Darkside of The Moon

The last part of 2001 (Jupiter and beyond the infinite) and pink floyds echos part one And two from the meddle album.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the wizard of oz/darkside of the moon one works pretty well if you're ridiculously high

Theory on Disney's UP

Except that Carl actually ends up in a retirement home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

There was a theory that the Cloverfield monster was the man in black from Lost after finally escaping from the island..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

that mr white and Vincent vega are brothers

It was Mr. Blonde, Vic Vega, and I believe it was true and there was discussions on having them in a film together describing their youth together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Or perhaps it was the jewels from the heist in Resovoir Dogs?

Or the other theory that the reason there's no cops around in Pulp Fiction is because they're all too busy dealing with the events of Res Dogs in another part of town on the same day at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Not exactly fan fiction but The Matrix is probably based on Plato's Allegory of the Cave. I.e. person become aware he and his fellow man are prisoners in a cave subjected to artificial illusions that appear to be really. Upon becoming enlightened and escaping/emerging from the cave into sunlight/reality, the obligation is to return and free his fellow man, who, being convinced and enamoured by the illusion will resist with all their might. Plato believed everything in our reality is an imperfect copy of a perfect object/thing in a kind of heaven/perfection called the world of forms, which is where we originally come from; and this is why we can recognise a tree as a tree and not a flower when no two trees are exactly alike. As far as I know Plato never explains why we were imprisoned in the cave, only that knowledge of the forms elevates man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Long ago I started a similar thread with the Ferris Bueller Theory and also this My Neighbour Totoro one:

12723cb74fcg214.jpg

http://fellowof.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/an-inconvenient-truth-about-my-neighbor-totoro/

It's a bit grim and obviously not true but interesting non the less. It's about how Totoro really signifies the angel of death and notes similarities in the story to a true life murder mystery in Japan.

Dissapointing movie made by crazy people.
    Made by crazy people? But the film didn't actually claim any of these crazy theories were true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That's more like it ;). Although I haven't finished The Wire and haven't seen any X-Files so I can't comment.

*splutter* You haven't seen The X-Files?
    Man, I feel old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The Matrix one where Zion was a sublayer seemed obvious to me, and the people who I went to go see it with.

Our man beef with Revolutions is how they obviously decided not to ****ing bother, and didnt explain the situation at all.

I think the only plausible explanation for how Neo could use his powers outside of "The Matrix" was that Zion was part of it. I also thought it was somewhat explained by the Architect which I appreciate might have gone over many peoples heads.

To be honest, from the architect and the scnee with Neo interacting with the machines, I don't know how you'd come to any other reasonable conclusion that Zion wasnt part of the matrix ..

I like the Bond one too, I didn't know about the theory there, but took it for granted at an early age when my Dad first got me into James Bond, he thought that it wasn't always the one agent, but a different one and James Bond was a codename.

It also make an interesting premise for the Craig movies, they were labelled as the start and "beginning" for Bond, and it's plausible that due to his current and most likely forthcoming exploits as 007, his name would be revered for top agents.

Would be a sick theory to wrap into the next film...ergo kill Daniel Craig

Cracked had a great one about how each Pixar movie was essentially moving towards the Apocalypse.

Makes sense when you realize that all the Pixar movies exist within the same reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Advertisement