Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What I don't understand is the people who go to a midnight screening (ie. you should be a fan of and seen the previous marvel movies) and who get up and leave before both of the bonus scenes...

It's a Marvel flick! What are you, new? Sit your ass back down and keep watching.

There was some amount of them who did that last night. And then there were those who left after the first scene and didn't say until after all the credits :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seen this earlier and thought it was very good. I've never read any of the comics so wouldn't be a fan that way and I actually didn't care at all for the first film, so I had no real expectations going in, so I really enjoyed it!

As I say, I've never looked at the comics so wouldn't have noticed alot of the in-jokes and references that people have mentioned, but a little touch I loved was actually a Pulp Fiction nod,
    the epitaph on Nick Fury's "grave" reading "The path of the righteous man"
    , thought that was class!

What I don't understand is the people who go to a midnight screening (ie. you should be a fan of and seen the previous marvel movies) and who get up and leave before both of the bonus scenes...

It's a Marvel flick! What are you, new? Sit your ass back down and keep watching.

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke. Doesn't matter if its funny or not, they'll be falling out of their chairs and making so much noise that everyone else ends up missing dialogue. When I saw Thor 2 in the cinema you'd swear that it was the most strikingly original comedic masterpiece in decades given how some members if the audience reacted. Same thing occurred during Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke. Doesn't matter if its funny or not, they'll be falling out of their chairs and making so much noise that everyone else ends up missing dialogue. When I saw Thor 2 in the cinema you'd swear that it was the most strikingly original comedic masterpiece in decades given how some members if the audience reacted. Same thing occurred during Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

I saw it last night. Loved the movie. The post credit scenes were very interesting and I can't wait for the next additions to the Marvel storyline.

There was only about 10 -15 people in the cinema, there were 3 fanboys who were sniggering and laughing and constantly whispering about every single reference or mention of anything outside the storyline. It's actually very annoying. I know everyone is entitled to enjoy the movie with their mates but they did my head in. My gf was with me and everytime the boys went off on one she thought she was missing out on some part of the story which wasn't really fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For anyone who's seen it in 3D, is it any good, worth going to or skip it and head to the 2D version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I saw it in 3D, I don't think there's anything in it that would make it better in 3D than 2D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There was some amount of them who did that last night. And then there were those who left after the first scene and didn't say until after all the credits :confused:

I was at the same screening you were. There were really were far too many people who left before the very end. I had expected a few people to leave, but nowhere near as many that did.
    The first of the two scenes was especially cool and the second one may not have been super important, but served as a nice bookend for the whole film, so worth staying around for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So with Thor 2 and now Captain America 2 doing it, I guess we're looking at two extra scenes during the credits in the future? I'll be honest, it was a cute easter egg at the start, but everyone knows the joke now, I'd wish they just put the extra stuff at the end of the main feature - some of us have homes to go to :P

titan18 wrote: »
    For anyone who's seen it in 3D, is it any good, worth going to or skip it and head to the 2D version?

Skip it :) The Cineworld IMAX 3D projector had issues at the midnight screening and for two or three patches of 5-10 minutes in the last 40 it was just 2D and looked the business. There are no significant additions to the movie by 3D, it's not really filmed with 3D in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What I hate even more are the fanboys who roar with laughter at every single one liner or joke.
    Jesus.. the midnight screening I was at did not have one laugh, giggle or gasp..

.. pretty fecking emotionless crowd!

Might have well been the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have hoped.. the atmosphere in a good popcorn flick with an audience can be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Basq wrote: »
    Jesus.. the midnight screening I was at did not have one laugh, giggle or gasp..

.. pretty fecking emotionless crowd!

Might have well been the reason I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd have hoped.. the atmosphere in a good popcorn flick with an audience can be great.

Indeed, The Avengers was the last movie I remember seeing where the crowd got really into it, but not in an annoying way, quiet during the bits it mattered and some big laughs during the comedy moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

indeed; not being the only idiot laughing at Hulk thumping Thor and smashing Loki made it a better experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I really enjoyed it. I think it might be my favourite of all the Marvel movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it last night and for the first hour I thought it was great. Usually I lose interest in super hero movies pretty quickly but this one was a cut above. Solid opening scenes, decent dialogue, some good acting, I was thinking if they dont drop the ball this could be the best super hero movie yet...........but things got a bit run of the mill at a certain point and it went the way all other superhero movies go. Overall though it was definitely a lot better than any other super hero flick(of its type). The hand to hand combat scenes were really well done and it didnt get too ridiculous during the obligatory final show down between the good guys and bad guys. Just for once though it'd be great for a super hero movie to go a different way, maybe tell a more downsized story as opposed to the megalomaniac trying to take over the world or the secret organisation/invading alien force trying to do like wise. I know it has a lot of critics but I still think Watchmen was the Best super hero movie ever made. It was so different than the usual mind numbing nonsense like the avengers or superman.
    I'd Give Captain America 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I really enjoyed it.
    I was expecting a lot of exposition and a bit of origins re Falcon but I liked how they handled it "this is who he is, oh and by the way, he can fly using mechanical wings." He could definitely get a spin off I think.

I really enjoyed the plot as well, not your usual superhero fare and it was fairly ballsy to take down SHIELD like that, be interesting to see how it affects Agents and the other franchises. Not being a comic reader I didn't recognise a lot of the cameos but the one thing that did excite me was the reference to Dr Strange.

The one thing I didn't like was the rescue of Falcon from the collapsing building, it was OTT and I know that's an odd complaint in a superhero film but the helicopter flying in amongst all that falling rubble and tilting sideways I was like "Oh, c'mon!!" But again I'm aware how silly that complaint is in a superhero movie.

I absolutely loved the end credits, there's poster worthy material in there.

Post Credits Scenes:
    I don't know if it as on here or another forum but I totally called that that Hydra officer was going to have a role in introducing the offspring of Magneto. Nice little wink at their origins.

Looking forward to Cap 3!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

I realise the plots of previous Marvel films have included alien invasions, Gods, magic, etc, for some reason the overall plot of this film seemed a bit sillier than I was expecting (unless I misunderstood it!), particularly since it seemed to have a more serious tone than the other Marvel films.
    Was Shield / Hyrda essentially going to do a "Minority Report" and kill 30% of the population of the planet earth because of the "possible" crimes that they might commit in future? To what end?

Also; would it really be that difficult for any military not to just shoot down those three flying fortresses within a few hours?

The more I see him in the role, the more "meh" Chris Evans seems to be as Captain America. He kicks a lot of ass in this film, (nearly too much so at times - it'd have been nice to see him pick up a gun at least once), and is clearly being written as a worthy contender on the "Avengers" stage, but watching his scenes with Scarlett Johanssen, he's just so ...bland.

That said; summarising all the rest of the film in one sentence: I liked it!

Player 2 wrote: »
    I realise the plots of previous Marvel films have included alien invasions, Gods, magic, etc, for some reason the overall plot of this film seemed a bit sillier than I was expecting (unless I misunderstood it!), particularly since it seemed to have a more serious tone than the other Marvel films.
    Was Shield / Hyrda essentially going to do a "Minority Report" and kill 30% of the population of the planet earth because of the "possible" crimes that they might commit in future? To what end?

Also; would it really be that difficult for any military not to just shoot down those three flying fortresses within a few hours?

The more I see him in the role, the more "meh" Chris Evans seems to be as Captain America. He kicks a lot of ass in this film, (nearly too much so at times - it'd have been nice to see him pick up a gun at least once), and is clearly being written as a worthy contender on the "Avengers" stage, but watching his scenes with Scarlett Johanssen, he's just so ...bland.

That said; summarising all the rest of the film in one sentence: I liked it!
    As far as I understood it wasn't that the 30% of population were future criminals but more that they were more likely to object and fight back against Hydra.

I don't know what the military would take down the flying fortresses with, given that SHIELD are the only agency in possession of such FF and they looked fairly capable of defending themselves.

Re Chris Evans I think Cap himself is the problem, he's just such a straight, self-righteous, and bland character. I actually think Evans is very good at it. In a recent interview with Simon Mayo he was talking about how it can be tiring being the straight guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Sorry, "criminals" was a very poor choice of words by me. Zola said they would use "people's past, to predict their future"; and as you say, to identify threats / enemies to Hydra.
    I'm still a little unsure of Hydra's goal though?

The gunships were the means, but to what end? World domination? Surely 7 billion people would be opposed to that? And all it took was 1 man with wings to take down one of them.
    What blindingly obvious plot point did I miss there?

As for the above, the old saying goes that you're only as good as your villain, and Winter Soldier was very very cool. Thumbs up from me.
    I hope there's more of him in Captain America 3.

I think it was the classic world domination, and Hydra's belief is that the best way to do this is by taking away people's freedom.

The gunships' role was kill off the rebellious 30% using Zola's algorithm and DNA targeting. The remaining 7 billion would presumably just surrender and submit to Hydra's rule.

The thing that really interests me is how Hydra recruited so many people?

Also what a great idea to have the the computer of the ship protected by a glass dome on the bottom of the ship. I'm presuming the designer was the same guy who did the Death Star :D

RE Winter Soldier some very spoilery speculation beyond this point so beware!!!
    Supposedly Stan has signed a 9 picture deal and there is talk that he will take over as Cap when Evans steps down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Just back from the cinema. Very enjoyable. Really liked the espionage stuff, some of it reminded me of a Bond film. Also the story should lead to interesting ramifications for other films in the franchise.

All in all, for me, I think the Captain America films have been two of the most enjoyable of the Marvel universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not long back myself. Was in the Dundrum, in the Mezz. Only us 4 and about 5 people in the seats in front of us stayed for the credits. To my shame I missed the 2nd one cos the missus wanted to go to the toilet and when the lights went up and people came in to clean the place after the 1st one I figured there was just the one.

Only thing about the post Avengers films that's always there nagging away is the hero in each film being left to fend for themselves while the others are conveniently missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Thor was in the UK/or Asgard fighting Malakeith , Iron Man was having his own problems in malibu, Hulk was probaly hiding out somewhere, and the only one was really missing without cause was Hawkeye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back from seeing it. I thought that was way better than the first film. Didn't feel rushed like the first one.

I thought the fighting was cool. Captain American really kicked ass! I also got the feeling that there was some testing the waters for a Black Widow film. I hope there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thor was in the UK/or Asgard fighting Malakeith , Iron Man was having his own problems in malibu, Hulk was probaly hiding out somewhere, and the only one was really missing without cause was Hawkeye

It's some awful run of luck that they all happen on the same weekend. :)

Youd think a couple of them would at least
    turn up to Nick Fury's funeral
    or when
    Shield is being completely destoyed

Realistically (already gone off kilter seeing as we are dealing with superheroes :) ) thered always be 3 or 4 of them together any time one was in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

I was at the same screening you were. There were really were far too many people who left before the very end. I had expected a few people to leave, but nowhere near as many that did.
    The first of the two scenes was especially cool and the second one may not have been super important, but served as a nice bookend for the whole film, so worth staying around for.

Sorry lads I only stayed for one (was out of my hands). Can anyone post what the second was? Thanks.

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    Sorry lads I only stayed for one (was out of my hands). Can anyone post what the second was? Thanks.
    It was Bucky in the museum at the Captain America exhibition looking at his own profile/history/backstory; the same one the captain was looking at early in the movie

Enjoyed this, felt a bit overlong in the final act but the action was really well done throughout, nice hard hitting too you really felt when Cap was slapping people around with the shield. Not sure why he didn't use a gun at any point though? he did in the previous film and in The Avengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

krudler wrote: »
    Enjoyed this, felt a bit overlong in the final act but the action was really well done throughout, nice hard hitting too you really felt when Cap was slapping people around with the shield. Not sure why he didn't use a gun at any point though? he did in the previous film and in The Avengers.

First film, he was at war. Avengers, he was fighting aliens. Maybe he'd just rather not shoot at people unless he had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Seen last night really enjoyed. Roll on Guardians and Age of Ultron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cap rarely used a gun in the comics in the modern day, His shield is like his lightsabre as Obi Wan said guns/blasters so uncivilised

• Advertisement

I liked that
    he gets the 1940's uniform back
    was much better than the one in The Avengers, which is awful.

It's some awful run of luck that they all happen on the same weekend. :)

Youd think a couple of them would at least
    turn up to Nick Fury's funeral
    or when
    Shield is being completely destoyed

Realistically (already gone off kilter seeing as we are dealing with superheroes :) ) thered always be 3 or 4 of them together any time one was in trouble.

I don't think it all happened on the same weekend ;)

I think we're just going to have to accept that they can't crossover too much, same as the comics and there's no point in Marvel having to come up with an excuse every time.

I was a bit disappointed that Falcon v Rumlow was cut short, I hope there's more on the DVD extras as it looked like a great matchup.

The elevator scene was fantastic.

It was Bucky in the museum at the Captain America exhibition looking at his own profile/history/backstory; the same one the captain was looking at early in the movie

The music was slightly ominous too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Slydice wrote: »
    The music was slightly ominous too :)

How'd ya mean?!

macslash wrote: »
    How'd ya mean?!
    It was all like 'dun dun dun duuuuun' and bucky was looking as though he'd just discovered his whole life was a lie and we were all like 'ooooooo'

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It was all like 'dun dun dun duuuuun' and bucky was looking as though he'd just discovered his whole life was a lie and we were all like 'ooooooo'

Yeah.
    I was all like: Why are they playing ominous music, surely seeing that he was actually mates with Cap will help him out cos it's not not they left off in a fairly bad place. He had just saved Cap from the water after Cap kept talking about how they are friends.
    I dunno. Guess we'll see after the next film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Got a nice laugh at the Pulp Fiction reference!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got back from seeing it and it's the best of phase 2, so far at least. I liked the espionage and spying angle though it feels very underdeveloped.
    I do wish Marvel would stop forcing so much humour into their films. It seems like they've turned Black Widow into Cap's gal pal BFF for some reason. The terrible jokes just ended up killing the tension. I suppose I'll just have to get used to that and the ever increasing amount of product placement.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Just got back from seeing it and it's the best of phase 2, so far at least. I liked the espionage and spying angle though it feels very underdeveloped.
    I do wish Marvel would stop forcing so much humour into their films. It seems like they've turned Black Widow into Cap's gal pal BFF for some reason. The terrible jokes just ended up killing the tension. I suppose I'll just have to get used to that and the ever increasing amount of product placement.

I have a feeling that their growing friendship is designed for a pay off in Age of Ultron. After the widow asking cap if he'd trust her to sacrifice herself for him, I have a feeling she might bite the dust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have a feeling that their growing friendship is designed for a pay off in Age of Ultron. After the widow asking cap if he'd trust her to sacrifice herself for him, I have a feeling she might bite the dust.

I didn't think of that. Feels a bit forced compared to how reserved and stoic she was in her previous appearances. I can't imagine Marvel killing any of their characters off though unless the cast member in question doesn't renew their contract. Look what they did with Phil Coulson.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭KEITH_KILDUFF

Seen it Thursday night def echo most of the comments here, quality film, solid plot good character development for Cap, BWidow and Falcon, not so much WS which was a little disappointing.

I thought Cap/BW worked well together, good forward and back between them, didnt feel pushed to me.

Was always a huge Falcon fan and for me glad with how he was setup and portrayed.

Now for the meaty stuff in spoiler tags!
    With SHIELD gone now it would be safe to presume the Avengers will run out of Stark Tower now, that would tie in with Hill have a lie detector test there and the plans Tony had to rebuild it at end of Avengers.

Personally I dont know how Caps neck wasnt snapped at the end with all the punches we took from Bucky on the helicarrier!

For those of you that double up watching Marvel Agents of Shield there was a point I caught that didnt make any sense!

In Ep.1 Coulson tells the team that the Avengers are clearance level 6, and they dont know hes alive, but in the WS the scene where Fury takes Cap to show him Operation Insight when they get into the elevator Furys clearance level is 17....and Cap's comes up as 8! So....techinally he would/should be able to access the information that Coulson is alive!!

Anyone else spot this?

Personally I dont know how Caps neck wasnt snapped at the end with all the punches we took from Bucky on the helicarrier!

I doubt that Marvel would want to risk the film being rated for adults or 15A which is a bit of a shame but it's understandable.
    I didn't catch any character development at all. Nick Fury got a small amount and that's all I picked up on.
    I imagine it's difficult to maintain continuity between the TV show (and future TV shows) and the various films. Then again, maybe
    Cap didn't get a chance to read the entire SHIELD database or they didn't keep Coulson's resurrection on record.
    I'd rather watch Corrie than Agents of SHIELD though so I'm not in the know on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

With SHIELD gone now it would be safe to presume the Avengers will run out of Stark Tower now, that would tie in with Hill have a lie detector test there and the plans Tony had to rebuild it at end of Avengers.

Avengers tower was shown in the targeting system, so yep.

For those of you that double up watching Marvel Agents of Shield there was a point I caught that didnt make any sense!

In Ep.1 Coulson tells the team that the Avengers are clearance level 6, and they dont know hes alive, but in the WS the scene where Fury takes Cap to show him Operation Insight when they get into the elevator Furys clearance level is 17....and Cap's comes up as 8! So....techinally he would/should be able to access the information that Coulson is alive!!

Anyone else spot this?

Safe enough to assume that, when Cap joined SHIELD, they upped his clearance level higher than the other Avengers.

I watched some of The Avengers last night, forgot that the bald guy with glasses is in it, the one talking to Garry Shandling during his cameo (who looks godawful in Cap 2, the years have not been kind and he looks botoxed beyond belief)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

I think the humour helps make the movies, i really dont think they would work as well if they were super serious films.

They needed something else in the movie though, Cap Ap is i think kind of a dull chrachter. I wonder though if going by the caps morals they are leading up to the Superhero Registration act and the Civil War. Twas just a thought i had.

Anyway i enjoyed it, loved Falcon introduction - but as others have said - i did miss the preseence of Hawkeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Saw it in the IMAX last night. Haven't enjoyed any Marvel movies since Iron Man, so wasn't expecting too much from this. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a fairly solid movie with some outstanding action sequences.

It could have been a great flick is they had left out Black Widow and Falcon, and focused more on developing the conflict between Cap and Winter Soldier. There was huge potential there, but they sacrificed it to appeal to the brainless.

silverbolt wrote: »
    I think the humour helps make the movies, i really dont think they would work as well if they were super serious films.

I'm not saying that each one needs to be The Dark Knight but it would be nice if the humor was at least kept out of the more serious segments of the films rather than forced in at inopportune moments which consequently kills what little tension there is.
    This film was such an improvement over the stale Thor sequel and the lackluster Iron Man 3. If there was any amount of character development at all, it would've been one of the best Marvel films so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

silverbolt wrote: »

They needed something else in the movie though, Cap Ap is i think kind of a dull chrachter. I wonder though if going by the caps morals they are leading up to the Superhero Registration act and the Civil War. Twas just a thought i had.

Anyway i enjoyed it, loved Falcon introduction - but as others have said - i did miss the preseence of Hawkeye

I got massive feelings of Civil War, to be honest. Especially Cap's
    escape from Shield HQ

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Funnily enough, Marvel apparently confirmed today a Black Widow movie is happening. I guess that means her character definitely won't be going the route it did in Ultimate Avengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I think this has been the best post Avengers movie so far and definately one of my favourite Marvel Studios movies. It had a great story to tell and really felt like a god thriller with superhero elements Thrown in.

Advertisement