Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT will now be 100% Linked to Emissions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

No, but if they pay for the emissions it makes at the same rates as everyone else, then they should be allowed drive what they like.

Besides the whole engine size thing is not an accurate gauge of emissions.

Very true... A larger, more powerful engine doesn't have to try as hard as a small engine that struggles with the weight of its own car. I get similar MPG from my 2.0l Golf and the 1.3l Fiesta I used to drive. The Fiesta would be flat out on the motorway, whereas I barely have to touch the accelerator in the Golf, and so the emissions are going to be not that much more (unless I drive the sh1t out of the Golf of course ;) ). Yet the road tax for the Golf is around double the Fiesta, and the VRT at the moment would be an order of magnitude higher for the Golf as it's a "desirable" car according to our Revenue friends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote:
    If it wasn't for the likes of (me, kinda..), Unkel would never be able to pick up the yokes he does, for the price he does.....

Exactly. I love people buying expensive new cars and changing them often for even newer and more expensive cars. Far play them!
    galwaytt wrote:
    although we do have to listen to him afterwards..;)

LOL :o

Anyway I should keep schtum in future as my comments can only drive up prices of old luxobarges :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

galwaytt wrote:
    ...then you'd better hope all us new-car buyers don't take offence, or, worse, start buying second hand ones......

Why? Easy -for a car to become secondhand, someone has to buy it new, first. So you, sir, are both suffering from 'funnel vision' as well as being rude.

If it wasn't for the likes of (me, kinda..), Unkel would never be able to pick up the yokes he does, for the price he does.....(although we do have to listen to him afterwards..;) ), and nor would anyone else..........

Likewise, Ned & ColmMcm are all feeding your habit..........there isn't a factory I know of punting out used cars.........

As I've already said, there will never be a shortage of people willing to shovel their hard-earned cash at the Government to have a shiny new car.

The rest of us are quite happy to let them take the big hit. Maybe thick is not the word but it's a particularly expensive form of vanity.

Advertisement