Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

DenMan wrote: »
    I never liked him anyway. He seems to have gone further downhill in the past year or so. In fact I can honestly say that Today FM in general really annoys me. I absolutely hate that station with a passion. Having your own opinion is fine but taking full advantage of your position as a broadcast DJ is wrong in my opinion. I met him once when we were filming in Dublin. During the introduction I noticed he wasn't paying attention really to the people who were actually working, barely shaking hands and looking away from people. I shook his hand and again he barely glanced at me looking away. Suffice to say I kept hold of his hand during the shake, getting his full attention. He was flabbergasted and thanked me for coming down. I hope it was a very down to earth experience for him. Definitely has Napoleon Syndrome

Ironic that you should reference a Napoleonic Complex, considering that one of the symptoms is an over-abundance of self-reference in conversation... :D

Anyway, the whole Fix it Friday thing is past it's prime.

It's simply now : "Dear Ray, I moron who cannot understand how Ebay/ Amazon/ Wikipedia work. Explain things me slowly."

Or

"Dear Raymondo. I'm a mad crazy guy. Please fill airtime by answering my idiotically simple question that I could easily answer myself were I to fire up google or open a friggin' dictionary. But I'm mad, and I want to hear my mad question on the radio, so that's not an option. Wahey!
    If you could answer it in as condescending a manner as possible, in fact, if you could make the search for an answer to my cringingly pointless pop-culture question sound as important as a request for a particularly rare blood type needed for a transfusion, it would be much appreciated.....Please read my name out so my friends will know that I'm mad. Regards, Mad Sean. "

Or, as touched on above :

"Dear Ray, I am mean and want something. If I pretend that I've searched everywhere, perhaps one of your listeners will give me what I want without me having to pay for it. "

It's gone silly now. Pull the plug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Forgot that they're all mad. Every listener calls their friends "Horse" too.
    It's great when Tom Dunne gives almost every that rings up a prize, when ray is so anal about giving them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thanks for reeling me in their mate, I got too carried away with the response there, it was a personal opinion that was formed when meeting the man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

I thought I was only one thinking that D'Arcy had lost the plot. I listen to the show now, purely so I can shout back at the ludicrous stuff he comes out with. It started off as his opinion, but now he won't even let the guys on the team express a differing opinion!

Anybody notice that since the kid arrived the show has taken a nosedive?

gerardk55 wrote: »
    I thought I was only one thinking that D'Arcy had lost the plot. I listen to the show now, purely so I can shout back at the ludicrous stuff he comes out with.

Whoah. Careful where you do that. In the privacy of your own home is fine, but be careful when you're all headphoned up : screaming "You're talking through your ARSE!" at the top of your voice when in a library or on a bus could lead to complications.

I was coming back from the Airport this morning in a cab, and heard him throw out another re-occuring D'arcyism : after stumbling while reading an email message, he paused and announced " I'm going to have to read that again, as the person who sent it spelled several words wrongly".

No, Ray. You're going to have to read it again because you mucked up.

Everyone who broadcasts makes gaffes flubs and minor errors. That's acceptable. Blaming the listener because you didn't take time to read over thier message is not acceptable.

Running a show with an overdependence on morons sending in their opinions means that some of these opinions will be moronic, and may also be difficult to read.
    It's Ray's job as presenter to have a clear idea what the opinion & content is before he broadcasts them. Using someone's spelling ability to cover up the fact that the presenter hasn't pre-read the message or understood the point is a poor excuse, and makes a strong argument against being almost completely reliant on listeners texts to fuel a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

For a man so disliked can understand why everybody calls him Ray as if they know him personally. I don't care for him myself but I think he is an accurate reflection the country in that over half the population like this bland, anodyne nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mickd wrote: »
    ...but I think he is an accurate reflection [of] the country in that over half the population like this bland, anodyne nonsense.

I'm forced to wholeheartedly agree with you. I've slowly come to realise that it's not really just D'Arcy and his entourage that I can't stand, but the people who trip over themselves to listen to the show and "contribute" to it, like some kind of mass orgy of banal inanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭DenMan

Switched over to Radio 1 about a year ago and haven't looked back. Glad I am not contributing to his listnership. Eventually his ratings will drop and as a result will be very good day for all concerned. Morning Ireland is always a great way to start your day and from there on, why devalue yourself?

mickd wrote: »
    For a man so disliked can understand why everybody calls him Ray as if they know him personally.

Well, if you're referring to the posts here, where most refer to the behaviour and actions of the entity known as Ray,

1 - Pointing out the fallibility of "Mr D'arcy" is a little formal, and might lead to confusing cross posting between this and the Pride and Prejudice forum.
    2 - Starting each post with "Re : Mr Ray D'arcy, Former Den presenter and morning broadcaster on National radio station Today FM" is a bit of a mouthful.
    3 - It's his name

If you're referring to the people who use their time to make 'valuable contributions' to the show, ("Well Ray! I stay in bed all day. I'm Mad! Go me! I like jam too. Play shane ward for girls in work.") well, I suppose the fact that it's a one syllable word makes it ideal for their limited capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

Ahhh Fix it Friday is good.... although I tend to listen to Phantom more frequently. More often I dont want to hear DJs ratting on about absolutely irrelevant stuff. FM104 has to be the worst offender for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Dear me, has anyone heard Will and Mairead filling in? Terrible stuff. The show has hit rock-bottom when you have a pair as devoid of personality as those too presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I thought they were ok they played excellent music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭disc

in fairness the music was very good , but it from some ones mp3 player so they actually didnt pick it..

they were ok , if ray was out sick and called in at 8.30 , but as a regular stint no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Give them a chance, I'd say they were shlt-nervous. Ray D'arcy has been in the business for years. They were playing tracks from someone's Ipod, all those tracks are on my one, but there is some shlte on it too! They picked good ones.

disc wrote: »
    in fairness the music was very good , but it from some ones mp3 player so they actually didnt pick it..

they were ok , if ray was out sick and called in at 8.30 , but as a regular stint no chance

Wasn't the "mp3 shuffle" segment (where listeners were invited to submit 10 songs from their mp3 player to the show for playing) for a week-long competition, and was run in the last 35/40 minutes of the show? As far as I could tell, the rest of the music was picked by station staff.

As for the fill-in presenters, well I still think Mairead Farrell sees her constant "listen to meee" interjections on the show as a stepping stone to world media domination, but I found Will's enthusiasm and dry wit infectious, and a fantastic antidote to Ray D'arcy's more dictatorial style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In all fairness, has Will Hanafin hosted anything before this? He seemed all a bit thrown into the deep end. And he made the best of it.. and I quite enjoyed it. It can't be easy - Tom Dunne and D'Arcy have been doing this years, whereas Will is simply a producer / researcher AFAIK.

Young Hanafin did very well.

Getting better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yeah - I've not listened recently, but I've always enjoyed Will, I must say. Mairead has been indulged for far too long, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I actually found yesterdays show with Will not too bad at all, not as good as Tom Dunne though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Reni

On tues or Wed(12th or 13th) last week on the show I think they reviewed a book about different metabolisms and different diets for each type...?
    Can anyone tell me the name/author of the book please?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Google it with the description you just gave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Will and mairead are doing good. You know I'd rather listen to them then Darcy himself.

They're not as good as Tom Dunne. Pity He's leaving Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fago_25 wrote: »
    They're not as good as Tom Dunne. Pity He's leaving Today FM.
    Tom Dunne is leaving??? :(:eek: Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

See other thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

Reni its something like "eat right for your metobolic rate " Dr Cass ingrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shox06

In general I think Mairead is ok but am not a Will fan at all... don't think this week has gone well for them unfortunately... seem to be picking topics and reading emails with no point... music selection better than Ray's though, no question there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

While I agree with the sentiment of this thread i.e. Ray has gotten rather unbearable and forceful of his opinion, Fix it Friday is little more than a joke, Mairead thinks she is better than anyone else in broadcasting, Tom Dunne does Ray's show better than he does it himself, I was astounded to hear that the Ray D'Arcy show has attracted an additional 8,000 listeners in the last year. This news is according to the latest JNLR figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

it should be interesting to see what effect tom dunnes transfer will make when he takes on ray,
    i used to be a big ray fan but cant stand him now, cant wait for tom dunne to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

The thing about JNLR listenership figures is that it takes quite a while for them to show up. If Tom Dunne is effective on Newstalk, it will realistically be about 18 months before anything shows. Ray D'Arcy was on Today for two years before he got a big increase in listenership figures.

I despise the texts from people who try to be all zany when they comment on the perception they've built up on the entrant in the shuffle competition. "I tells ya, it's a 33 year-old. I know it. And he has a toe fetish. And an artificial eyeball."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

i am forced to listen to this at work... darcy is ok but gets on his high horse alot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

I tend to agree with 90% everything Ray has to say. Dunno I guess were two of a kind. I only started listening to him 9 months ago. Must say I think hes good but the show lay out is very dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

smoc wrote: »
    I tend to agree with 90% everything Ray has to say. Dunno I guess were two of a kind. I only started listening to him 9 months ago. Must say I think hes good but the show lay out is very dry.
    smoc
    blue_star_2.gif

X_Files_-_X_Files.gif

:rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

What is happpening to today fm in general it s fallin apart I dont listen anymore I listen to some english stations on line now. It s like college radio lately. and god knows we have lo big choice in Kilkenny .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

Got fed up with him years ago. What a yawn.

...lest it come true, the other Ray was on from 10 onwards today.

One of the guys I work with nearly poured petrol over himself and lit a match.

Bring back the D'arcy gang, all is forgiven.

lightening wrote: »

on the opposite side of that fence. but lets not talk about it, for fear of a banning :D

Read the charter or you may be subjected to m00dage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Regardless of context, that's the funniest thing I've read all week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

29kx8hd.jpg

"right, that's it - he mentioned that bloody child 4 times in the last 2 seconds..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

As Ray is 'dad of the year' maybe he could host a new show.
    'The Baby of Tralee'.
    Or better still start a creche and leave radio behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

29kx8hd.jpg

"right, that's it - he mentioned that bloody child 4 times in the last 2 seconds..."

Think he meant the other Ray.

But yeah, I feel like that sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Today was the day I've given up and brought the ipod out of the drawer. The absolute rudeness and righteousness of this little man interrupting and telling people they're wrong just finally tipped the radio off for me and the ipod on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

smaoifs wrote: »
    Today was the day I've given up and brought the ipod out of the drawer. The absolute rudeness and righteousness of this little man interrupting and telling people they're wrong just finally tipped the radio off for me and the ipod on.

What happened? can't leave it like that..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

if he plays that yes we can song any more ill crack up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I think rays show is still very good. He still makes me laugh and noramally his topics of discussion are very interseting. I would agree though that he defiantly likes to preech a bit too much at times. I'd still give the show 2 thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

younge wrote: »
    I'd still give the show 2 thumbs up.

I'd love to take my two thumbs and insert them into Mairead Farrell's nostrils if I thought it would stop the "amusing" singing and random interruptions that seem to occur on the show at the drop of a hat.

Mairead Farrell : "Shh! Shh! Listen to meeee, everyone!!"

Everyone : "No. F*ck off, please."

younge wrote: »
    I think rays show is still very good. He still makes me laugh and noramally his topics of discussion are very interseting. I would agree though that he defiantly likes to preech a bit too much at times. I'd still give the show 2 thumbs up.

I think Ray's show is still very good. He still makes me laugh and normally his topics of discussion are very interesting. I would agree though that he definitely likes to preach a bit too much at times. I'd still give the show two thumbs up.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

zuroph wrote: »
    I think Ray's show is still very good. He still makes me laugh and normally his topics of discussion are very interesting. I would agree though that he definitely likes to preach a bit too much at times. I'd still give the show two thumbs up.

FYP

You are a sad, narrow-minded little man.

i know, sometimes, i disgust me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement