Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

stuar wrote: »
    Regarding radar data, false data, witheld data etc, there are a number of countries involved and maybe the one's witholding their data (US) are testing other countries capabilities and will hold the plane until China shows it's hand/military/surveilance capabilities.

I must be in dopamine overload today, because I'm suspicious about the above also. Ingenious way of finding out what countries are asleep at the wheel. Albeit evil! I know it's a long stretch of the imagination, but none of this tragic story adds up for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

King Mob wrote: »
    Is this impossible to fake?

Why fake it?, wouldn't that be too elaborate?, fake bodies?
    None that aren't more likely explained with non sinister miscommunications, misrepresentations, unchecked rumours and general mis-understandings.

Like searching the wrong sea for a week when Malaysian radar saw it passing over the Malaysian penninsula?, if you want to believe that, good.
    If a burgular was trying to break in your back door and you saw him, the police arrive, would you spend your time helping them search your front garden, taking finger prints off your front door for an hour before telling them he was actually at the back?
    This is especially through when the most logical conspiracy would mean that none of these inconsistencies would exist.

Or like how media interest in most air disasters quickly dissipates.

If the authorities "found" a piece of wreckage confirming the plane had crashed and sank into the ocean on day two of the search, do you think there'd be as much media coverage now?

And if the media coverage died off, what inconsistencies would you have to point to?
    All of the inconsistencies come from the media attention, the more media attention, the more inconsistancies and the more covering up you have to do.
    Not worth the effort of answering.
    This doesn't make any sense. How would making a plane disappear test China's capabilities?
    Why would China tip their hand when they would know it's the US trying to test them?
    Why would the US try when they would know that China wouldn't tip their hand?

Why do something so elaborate and obvious when they could just use actual espionage?

I believe the plane went missing as a direct result of war games taking place between US, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia and South Korea.
    These wargames called Cobra Gold and Cope Tiger were being carried out in the exact area at exact time as MH370 vanished.
    All of the above participants have a common enemy, China.
    They couldn't take a chinese plane as it could spark a war, the next best thing is a plane half full of chinese people.
    I speculate the above war games tested both the participants and regional enemies capabilities, technology, reactions.
    Maybe the US were seeing how good their cloaking and cloning technology worked in real life.
    To see if China could counteract it, if China demanded it's citizens released immediately from Diego Garcia it would show some of their capabilities.

All speculation on my part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

As I'm sure probably a few of you already know... All boeings can be remotely controlled from the ground.. So I read

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    As I'm sure probably a few of you already know... All boeings can be remotely controlled from the ground.. So I read

Yea fly by wire, computer controlled everything, boeing being a big US military contractor and all that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Why fake it?, wouldn't that be too elaborate?, fake bodies?
    Why would it be too elaborate when you are suggesting it's all a plot involving war games from several nations, the control of several media outlets and government agencies and the faking, withholding and releasing of radar images.
    Like searching the wrong sea for a week when Malaysian radar saw it passing over the Malaysian penninsula?, if you want to believe that, good.
    If a burgular was trying to break in your back door and you saw him, the police arrive, would you spend your time helping them search your front garden, taking finger prints off your front door for an hour before telling them he was actually at the back?
    But what's the conspiracy explanation for this? Why did they search the wrong sea and give the game away? Why not just search the right sea as indicated by the radar like you claim? Why would they release the radar data that contradicts them?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, then claiming that factoid indicates a conspiracy does not work as an explanation.
    Not worth the effort of answering.
    Why not?
    If the plane had been "discovered" much earlier, would there still be the same level media attention about the incident now?

How many of the "inconsistancies" do not come from the media attention?
    I believe the plane went missing as a direct result of war games taking place between US, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Indonesia and South Korea.
    These wargames called Cobra Gold and Cope Tiger were being carried out in the exact area at exact time as MH370 vanished.
    All of the above participants have a common enemy, China.
    They couldn't take a chinese plane as it could spark a war, the next best thing is a plane half full of chinese people.
    I speculate the above war games tested both the participants and regional enemies capabilities, technology, reactions.
    Maybe the US were seeing how good their cloaking and cloning technology worked in real life.
    To see if China could counteract it, if China demanded it's citizens released immediately from Diego Garcia it would show some of their capabilities.

All speculation on my part.
    Why would China demand their citizens back?
    If they had the capability to detect this, but the Americans didn't know if they did or not (hence why they'd need to test it), then they wouldn't let on that they could. If such a plot is obvious to you, then it would be to China, so they would know it's the Americans trying to test them.
    It would be much more beneficial for them to pretend that they didn't detect it and let the Americans underestimate them.

If they wanted to test the Chinese there's probably much easier, less obvious ways to do it that don't involve kidnapping a plane and letting the whole world in on the conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yea fly by wire, computer controlled everything, boeing being a big US military contractor and all that.......

Do you know what fly by wire actually means? And that the Airbus A320 pioneered it for mass produced civil aircraft?

Do you know what fly by wire actually means? And that the Airbus A320 pioneered it for mass produced civil aircraft?

It means there's no cable,with regards to giving power to whatever one is flying, driving, riding.. sensors either end computer controlled of course.. They use them on gp bikes also, instead of a throttle cable, fly by wire instead

Obama is off on a trip to 4 countries including where............. I wonder.....

The winner gets a prize.

That would be:

Japan
    South Korea
    Malaysia
    Philippines

Yes it means Fly-By-Wire, sending electrical signals by wire to a flight control computer.

Boeing seem to think it can be manipulated.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8391493.PN.&OS=PN/8391493&RS=PN/8391493

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

It means there's no cable,with regards to giving power to whatever one is flying, driving, riding.. sensors either end computer controlled of course.. They use them on gp bikes also, instead of a throttle cable, fly by wire instead

Yes indeed - but within the aircraft!!!

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yes indeed - but within the aircraft!!!

Obviously, I mean it's hardly gonna be on the ground trailing behind it is it..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

but some people are trying to suggest a Boeing plane can be controlled via the ground .... don't think so ... fly by wire just means its all electronic within the plane, no cables and levers like in the older planes .

This plane was not controlled from the ground.

the_monkey wrote: »
    but some people are trying to suggest a Boeing plane can be controlled via the ground .... don't think so ... fly by wire just means its all electronic within the plane, no cables and levers like in the older planes .

No no, I origionally posted that all boeings are fitted with technology that's enables them to be flown from the ground, which is fact.. Some other chap I think got confused in using the term fly by wire in responding. That's all

sopretty wrote: »
    This plane was not controlled from the ground.

How do we know...?

How do we know...?

Well you have me there! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

How do we know...?
    WAAS
    Wide Area Augmentation System.
    Have a read and see what you think.

shedweller wrote: »
    WAAS
    Wide Area Augmentation System.
    Have a read and see what you think.

Pretty sure it was reported the gps system was turned off..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi guys, some of yous know me from the other thread in Aviation. I have decided to move here as it has become too restrictive there, and I do think there is a possibility this plane is not at all where they are saying it is. In the other thread it is to be assumed the plane crashed in IO only.

I don't quite know what I think , tbh.
    I'm open to every theory.
    Ocean, land, crashed, or not ...
    I think the timeline is such now that imo the passengers cannot be alive (simply because it would be too costly, troublesome, to feed and mind them all that time).

My own hunch initially was that it had taken a Northern route.
    I think there is a bunch of countries up there that would absolutely loathe to admit that their defence system, their radar coverage (or operational coverage as in, radar data might be there, but not examined as it should, not manned as it should be, or human error happened) is or was inadequate : Bangladesh, Myanmar (Burma), Bhutan, Nepal, and even India ... There is a channel there that may have allowed an aircraft through to the wilderness of China's plains and deserts (whose radar coverage of that area again we don't know). From there Kyrgyzstan is not too far (relatively speaking), and there are airports in troubled areas there where the plane could have landed. For example near this lake, which used to be a touristy area (looks lovely), but I gather it has now lost its tourism potential due to political/insurgent problems. Here's a landing strip there (there's a better one in the bigger town to the East of the lake) https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=42.581526,76.719503&spn=0.036971,0.084543&t=h&z=14

I have read a good bit about Myanmar (Burma, but I think they prefer the name Myanmar nowadays), and was trying to find out how good or bad their radar coverage is.
    It seems they went from very very poor (defense), to somewhat acceptable, especially along the Thai border.
    I am saying somewhat acceptable, because I did find a good few references to them acquiring radar equipment from North Korea, but on the other hand there are still articles on how poorly electrified the whole country is for example. Along the way I might just mention that when they got this equipment, they also got whatever else, weapons, etc... and I think were educated in the art of making tunnels to hide weapons and aircraft, in North Korea. Thing is, some of the articles made reference to the 80s/90s, some were from 2008 or so. So I don't know, in terms of technology, if the equipment they purchased then, would be considered obsolete or still useful nowadays.
    Here's one of the articles for reference, it's very interesting, and the Irrawaddy has more to read on : http://www2.irrawaddy.org/print_article.php?art_id=16219 Either way, I think with the amount of "leaked" information about this upgrade of their defense system, it would be an awful demonstration of vulnerability for them to now have to admit that a commercial plane crossed the country unnoticed.

Anyway, sorry this is very long, I just wanted to share what I have (or some).

Someone in the aviation thread linked to the pprune site (http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-513.html) , hinting that it was a pilots' site and therefore there would be none of the nonsense of CT, but ironically, I have found a lot of people hinting at the same notions that a hijack could have happened, and taking that a bit further.

On Pprune I came across this link this evening which was my first reason for posting here : http://www.duncansteel.com/archives/507
    A northerly route for MH370 deep into central Asia cannot be excluded on the basis of the publicly-available Inmarsat-3F1 satellite data.

There you go, that's me for now, as I said I have no strong belief in any theory, but am open to all (I've no fixed opinion on hijack motive either if it was one).
    Hope the links above might be interesting to some. :)

• Advertisement

The one thing I'll say to you moutainsandh is to believe about 1% of what the authorities are saying. They have repeatedly declared that there are things they can't disclose. I believe that they know a heck of a lot more than they're letting on. They have changed statements with stone faces. They have declined to answer the more pertinent questions. They have lied with sincere faces (just look back at the press conferences).

It was no more a mechanical failure or a fire!!!! Thick and all as some commentators are, you'd want to be FIERCE thick to believe that crap.

I have no idea what went on, but I will reiterate here the fact that the apparent multinational co-operation suggests there is more to this than simply a civilian aircraft going missing.

Pilots wish to parade their superiority (dangerous trait for a pilot but anyway!). They have over elevated egos (think of the small dick syndrome where they drive porches?).

I don't know what happened. I know that we will never know. I believe the international high level community knows. It's not in the public's interest to know. We will never be told.

I agree on the lying part sopretty, the misinformation ...

The only quick answer that was given about the cargo for example, that I could find, was that there was 3/4 tons of mangosteen on board (fruit), but I have seen some commenting that this particular fruit was not in season in Malaysia at the time, and that the provenance could not be confirmed. Haven't been able to find out more about that, but it's really strange to me that a commercial plane should be carrying a large shipment of fruit and nothing else. And if there was something else, then what else ? The mangosteen was the only answer in that video clip.

They could be lying just to cover up their incompetence, and there might not be any conspiracy on their part. Or there might indeed be a lot more than meets the eye to the failed radar detection, the initial search in the wrong place, etc...

I wouldn't be as strong worded as you as regards the pilots sopretty, some seem ok and helpful, but I have to say there is a level of arrogance over there all right. I can understand them getting annoyed at people who don't have the same technical knowledge, but that's not an excuse for the behaviour I have seen in that thread.

But that's OT here, so that's the end of these comments here for me. :)

They could be lying just to cover up their incompetence, and there might not be any conspiracy on their part. Or there might indeed be a lot more than meets the eye to the failed radar detection, the initial search in the wrong place, etc...

I personally don't believe that there was failed radar detection. We're talking about heavily militarised countries. It does not make sense that a plane flew through 2 air ranges undetected. And they're just the ones we know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seal57

Malaysian authorities now saying their Military Radar they picked up the plane, although they are not saying for how long they tracked it. As for other Countries radar, a lot of the them are down 1/2 the time or not watched closely. All it takes is someone to fall asleep, happens all the time in the middle of the night in that area, but they will never admit it.

As far as stowaways, I believe there were a couple on this plane, probably from ground personnel, like food, fueling, cleaning, baggage services. They were in the electronics bay most likely and they had help from a couple of "passengers" once airborne. As for entry into the cockpit, with a a few hijackers on board, they would have probably had the tools or a small localized explosive charge to blow the lock open or they just waited until one of the pilots opened the door. They could have had a flight attendant ask for the captain to come out too. The hijackers flew the plane either west or north. Plane very easily could have made SW Iran.

I believe that The plane is not in the water, but we shall see eventually.

I personally don't believe that there was failed radar detection. We're talking about heavily militarised countries. It does not make sense that a plane flew through 2 air ranges undetected. And they're just the ones we know about.

Seems my post was a wee bit prophetic, given that Malaysia now FINALLY admits to having tracked the plane on radar. I never believed that crap for a second.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

seal57 wrote: »
    The hijackers flew the plane either west or north. Plane very easily could have made SW Iran.

Have a look at this map which show the region you mention surrounded by US Military bases and see if it changes your mind,

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2012/04/2012417131242767298.html

Have a look at this map which show the region you mention surrounded by US Military bases and see if it changes your mind,

That's assuming that you believe that nobody tracked the plane in that area. I know no country has admitted to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that no country observed it. The US has (as far as I've read), refused to hand over their radar information in relation to the flight. Then again, it's hard to know what to believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seal57

That's assuming that you believe that nobody tracked the plane in that area. I know no country has admitted to it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that no country observed it. The US has (as far as I've read), refused to hand over their radar information in relation to the flight. Then again, it's hard to know what to believe!

Not really, not sure which bases have radar capability and even if they do, how sophisticated it is and the ranges, etc... hijackers would know that info is my guess... If this plane was hijacked, it was planning years in the making

It is a nice map though... shows the issues in that whole region

The Eastern Bangladesh/Myanmar channel is still pretty much unchecked from what I can see there, have tried panning the map but nothing comes up in these areas ?

In fact, just had a quick Google of "U.S. military air bases worldwide" and the image search maps results are pretty eloquent : nothing in the area I mention above.

• Advertisement

The Eastern Bangladesh/Myanmar channel is still pretty much unchecked from what I can see there, have tried panning the map but nothing comes up in these areas ?

In fact, just had a quick Google of "U.S. military air bases worldwide" and the image search maps results are pretty eloquent : nothing in the area I mention above.

They'll have their own radar.

Advertisement