Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBeth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think it said they were using "the original language", whether that means text or just how they would have spoke back then, not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I dont really find Portman to be an interesting actress, her performances are very dry, boring, lacking in passion.

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I dont really find Portman to be an interesting actress, her performances are very dry, boring, lacking in passion.

Thought she was brilliant in Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Film 4 had a little presentation in Cannes today where they showed lots of stuff that they have in production at the moment. Some stuff from MacBeth was shown and it's getting very positive feedback. Obviously it's far too early to read anything into that but it sounds very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's pretty hard to mess up Shakespeare, I'm hoping this is good. Polanski's MacBeth will be hard to top, but here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

catallus wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to mess up Shakespeare, I'm hoping this is good. Polanski's MacBeth will be hard to top, but here's hoping.

It's incredibly easy to mess up Shakespeare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not looking forward to this, have never really liked modern takes on Shakespearean works, there have been one or two exceptions maybe. All in all, I loved the play, I liked one of the screen adaptions of it and if the reviews are positive Ill give it a shot, but I wish they would leave well enough alone sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm looking forward to it. I'm always excited to see new interpretations of Shakespeare. Sure, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I'm interested to see what they'll do with it. I'm glad they're sticking with the original language. I think that is integral to staging/filmling Shakespeare. That's where the true artistry and vision lies.

kryogen wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this, have never really liked modern takes on Shakespearean works, there have been one or two exceptions maybe. All in all, I loved the play, I liked one of the screen adaptions of it and if the reviews are positive Ill give it a shot, but I wish they would leave well enough alone sometimes

It's not a modern take, unless by that you mean made in 2014. It's set in the original setting and time and uses the original language.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I can't follow Shakespeare in the original English. I enjoy reading about his plays and what all the various themes are, and I particularly enjoy films that reinterpret his major works, like Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and Ran. But I don't like hearing the words being spoken. I find them too ornate and incredibly boring. I really hope this version scraps them. There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you happen to get the Sky Arts channels, keep an eye out for plays as presented in the Globe Theatre. The dialogue makes more sense when spoken with the proper actions and emphasis, instead of dry text on a page. See also this:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

Your one who plays Cersei Lannister would do a good job of playing Lady Macbeth.

yes, good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I can't believe that the same team and cast that are in friggin MacBeth are going on to film Assassin's Creed this September.

Its going to be incredible.

Official Clips:

(In case anyone's wondering, the tall lady at 0:18 is Elizabeth Debicki (The Great Gatsby, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) as Lady MacDuff.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I for one, was looking forward to the milking of the Shakespearean Cinematic Universe (SCU) and the crossovers, except I realized that's impossible because everybody would be dead by the end of their standalone films.

Sure, that would be true of the Tragedies, but I don't believe anyone died in A Midsummer Night's Dream or The Taming of the Shrew.

The latter was adapted in to a teen comedy, 10 Things I Hate About You, starring Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles: some time after the film, he turned in to The Joker and died, while she got mixed up with Jason Bourne. I wonder what Shakespeare would make of that ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hard to form any real expectation based on that trailer.
    It looks pretty much like they took a play and stuck a budget on it.

I guess you can't really expect much more from a movie based on Shakespeare's work (Baz Lurhmann notwithstanding)

• Advertisement

Hard to form any real expectation based on that trailer.
    It looks pretty much like they took a play and stuck a budget on it.

I guess you can't really expect much more from a movie based on Shakespeare's work (Baz Lurhmann notwithstanding)

Yeah, I think it's pretty much a standard adaptation. I think I read one of the reviews from Cannes that mentioned they'd changed something at the end.... not sure, but mostly it is literally the play in real locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I like that they've kept it in a period setting and obviously kept the language, and the two central performances look like they could be very strong. The few glimpses in the trailer suggest something quite visually beautiful to me. I would have much higher expectations for this than Lurhmann's Romeo and Juliet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah, I think it's pretty much a standard adaptation. I think I read one of the reviews from Cannes that mentioned they'd changed something at the end.... not sure, but mostly it is literally the play in real locations.

I think there have been a couple of interesting interpretations of certain speeches that are a little different to typical stagings of Macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Looks very promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Looks good.

I'll be seeing this, and Steve Jobs in October. Both Michael Fassbender films.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Saw the trailer in the IFI on Tuesday. Very excited to see it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hi, looking forward to seeing this because I really like Michael Fassbender. I never studied macbeth in school so dont know the story, should I read up on the story before I see it, do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

fin12 wrote: »
    Hi, looking forward to seeing this because I really like Michael Fassbender. I never studied macbeth in school so dont know the story, should I read up on the story before I see it, do people think?

A quick plot synopsis should do the trick beforehand, just so you have a handle on what's what and who's who. It is a relatively mainstream movie, so I can't imagine it's been designed to confound people who aren't that familiar with the source. The play itself is pretty accessible and relatively short. Unless you want to prise it apart like a Shakespearan scholar, I think you should be okay, even if you go in totally blind.

In fact it could be interesting to hear your opinion afterwards, as someone who will be coming to it just as a movie-goer, without all the extra baggage of preconceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's been a few years since I read it, but from what I can recall it's actually one of the 'easier' Shakespeare plays in terms of understanding the dialogue. It's eh, not particularly a barrel of laughs which has the unexpected benefit that there's not reams of obscure wordplay and jokes about Elizabethan current affairs, there's some bits with Duncan's sons that can be like that but it's not going to make it impossible to follow (again, as far as I can remember). Most of the big speeches should make perfect sense to modern ears. I'd say going in blind would be fine

Anyways, that trailer looks class! Love the play and love those two actors, haven't seen the director's other stuff but I think I'll go ahead and let myself be excited about this :D

Advertisement