Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Leave Rant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

I'm signed off sick at the moment, was for five days about two weeks ago and signed off again today for another five days as its just not shifting.

I'm bloody mortified, all I want to do is work!! I don't get paid either but I can't be there when I'm coughing due to the work I do.

Do employers actually think it looks bad? I'm doing my best to get better even went to work this morning only to relise I'd have the same issue I had all of last week.

Taking it just to have the craic at home? What a joke. I don't even leave the house when on it for fear of being seen by someone I work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i think schools need to relax their policy of not accepting 4 year olds. as this would help alot of mothers out and allow them to go back to work a year sooner. cos creche costs are just insance these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

bijapos wrote: »
    There's your answer.

Along with this she has a track record of being off sick because of stress so if she is fired she'll have no hassle with the social.

So hang her to the social then. Tell them you work with her, know she's not really sick, she's just working the system etc.

Fcuking leech.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Ladjacket wrote: »
    I work in an office where people are quick to spill their guts on all forms of their lives.

And people wonder why others are emigrating?

Sick of it.

Ah jesus, this woman sounds like a right stubborn little waster:mad:
    **** her for giving credibility to the whole 'Irish people are lazy' stereotype. Bitch needs to be sacked and forced into the real world, where her bull**** won't wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    They are various ways of getting a medical card. The first is being unemployed etc... (obviously). She may also have a GP card and not the full medical card - and that is means tested.

And thirdly - she may have a medical card on MEDICAL grounds despite what she is earning. If you qualify for a full medical card on health grounds then it doesn't matter what you are earning.

I have a full medical card on health grounds (I'm not earning anything at the moment but so it is a moot point) - but my card is separate to my husband/kids - if they get a medical card it's means tested etc whereas mine isn't.
    Have already tried it on medical grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

I'm signed off sick at the moment, was for five days about two weeks ago and signed off again today for another five days as its just not shifting.

I'm bloody mortified, all I want to do is work!! I don't get paid either but I can't be there when I'm coughing due to the work I do.

Do employers actually think it looks bad? I'm doing my best to get better even went to work this morning only to relise I'd have the same issue I had all of last week.

Taking it just to have the craic at home? What a joke. I don't even leave the house when on it for fear of being seen by someone I work with.

I think that most employers know the story with sick leave, if someone is genuinely ill then they are ill, end of story, whereas you can always pick up on the spoofers.

As for shopping her to the welfare, thats not my place to do that, as much as I give out about her, i think that telling tales is low as well.

I just wish that when the country was in rude health, that someone would have had the foresight to ensure that things were set up to allow free health care, as well an incentive to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

you are exactly right - the amount of people that would kill to stay here and work but have been forced to leave. It is in a customer service type job that I am in, not going to reveal the name of organisation on here, but it is not public sector.

What you mean that the perfect holier than thou private sector has slackers. No way i just don't believe it. :eek:

woodoo wrote: »
    What you mean that the perfect holier than thou private sector has slackers. No way i just don't believe it. :eek:

No.

Someone had asked if it was public sector and I was merely stating that it was not.

Jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

No.

Someone had asked if it was public sector and I was merely stating that it was not.

Jeez.

I'm not having a go at you ladjacket. I believe you because i have seen the same thing happen in a company i worked in years ago.

I was having a sarcastic swipe at some of the people whose names i recognise as non stop bashers of everything public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wibbs wrote: »
    She says this to her supervisor and this muppet isn't in any fear of being let go?
    If you go to a solicitor they can get a doctor to say your dying of stress and can't work at the moment. This means you can stay off indefinitely without being fired because nobody can prove whether you are stressed or not.

This country will end up back in the 40s simply because Irish people are self centred and don't care about anything outside of themselves.

• Advertisement

I'm not having a go at you ladjacket. I believe you because i have seen the same thing happen in a company i worked in years ago.

I was having a sarcastic swipe at some of the people whose names i recognise as non stop bashers of everything public service.

ok, apologies to you Woodoo, I thought you were insinuating that I was having a pop at the public sector.

To be frank, I was not expecting the reaction that I have seen on this thread, I was so angry this morning when I hear this woman at work that I posted it as a bit of a rant.

It is easy for people to say just sack her but unfortunately that is no longer acceptable, they are the sort of people who will pin the old unfair dismissal case on you then.

In another case i know of, a friend of mine works for a company who has guy signed off on sick leave since Xmas, due to stress. He is in receipt of sickness benefit in addition to all his other benefits, and spends his days playing golf. He still plays ball for his local team and scored a goal last week and was pictured in the local paper celebrating it. Stressed? And to top it off, my mate told me that the guy marking him in the game, was his boss!

100% truth. I can't understand how people like that hold all the aces.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

As for shopping her to the welfare, thats not my place to do that, as much as I give out about her, i think that telling tales is low as well.
    I have noooo idea what her story is but I want to point out that the worry of looking like a snitch etc is one of the reasons welfare fraud continues. Like I said I've no idea what her story is but wanted to point that out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaysoose wrote: »
    But you quoted a post about benefits and the dole in particular then call bull**** regards employment law? Weird post just got weirder.

What do you mean that you cant sign yourself out of work for a week in dublin..you can get a sick note from the doctor and be out..your talking nonsense.

In N.I you can self certify as sick for a week. No need to go near a doctor. generally in the UK employment law is more generous towards employees, so yeah, bullsh*te that nordies are in awe of how handy we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In another case i know of, a friend of mine works for a company who has guy signed off on sick leave since Xmas, due to stress. He is in receipt of sickness benefit in addition to all his other benefits.

Presumably the guy who's off sick told you (or your mate lol) all this, because I'm pretty sure someone in that company will be in contravention of the DPA otherwise :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    Presumably the guy who's off sick told you (or your mate lol) all this, because I'm pretty sure someone in that company will be in contravention of the DPA otherwise :pac:

ha! no, the guy is off sick has been very open about it all, telling anyone who wants to know.

It all slots in to the bigger picture of people being so brazen bout it these days, they dont care who knows what they are up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Whatever happened to doctors sorting out the sick from the time wasters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Anywhere I have worked you get 5 or 6 days uncertified sick leave in a 12 month period, after that you need a cert from a doctor, and also you can only take 2 uncertified days in a row on the third you need a cert.

Have seen things like this before though where someone doesnt want to come to work because its busy or they are asked to do something they dont want to do so they get a cert from a doctor for a week or two until someone else has done their job for them.

I always wondered though how a doctor can write a cert for someone who isnt actually sick? There should be some sort of regulation as far as Doctor's and this behaviour is concerned its disgraceful and very annoying. There are people in my workplace that are notorious for getting certs when they want one, and there is one doctor in particular that is widely known to hand them out almost over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whatever happened to doctors sorting out the sick from the time wasters?

The doctors are too stressed to know what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

There are several gp's in my town one used to have a reputation for being free and easy with the certs. Conveniently he used to open before 9am. By God you should have seen the queue of cars outside his practice every morning. He's retired now and his replacement is causing a stir amongst his old patients as is not as accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

This $hit makes my blood boil.

As I very rarely get sick, for years I never phoned in sick until one day (after being with company since inception) I was in an extremely bad accident and underwent two major surgeries. The boss from the company rang me half hour after I was out, of surgery for something irrelevant, phoned me relentlessly for the rest of the week. I received sick note from hospital to cover a month initially but opted to work from home following week. Throughout the week I received various phonecalls saying I really needed to be in office (despite being covered to be entirely off sick) and I had to argue my corner that I physically wasn't able to walk.

That is the type of b0ll0cks most of us put up with in order to keep our jobs. Yes my employer was being a pr!ck and taking advantage and frankly, leaving himself wide open to being sued.

However the individual the OP has described above could frankly do with a dose of the cr@p most of us have to endure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

And then there are those who DEFEND everything Public Service............:rolleyes:

Katgurl wrote: »
    This $hit makes my blood boil.

As I very rarely get sick, for years I never phoned in sick until one day (after being with company since inception) I was in an extremely bad accident and underwent two major surgeries. The boss from the company rang me half hour after I was out, of surgery for something irrelevant, phoned me relentlessly for the rest of the week. I received sick note from hospital to cover a month initially but opted to work from home following week. Throughout the week I received various phonecalls saying I really needed to be in office (despite being covered to be entirely off sick) and I had to argue my corner that I physically wasn't able to walk.

That is the type of b0ll0cks most of us put up with in order to keep our jobs. Yes my employer was being a pr!ck and taking advantage and frankly, leaving himself wide open to being sued.

However the individual the OP has described above could frankly do with a dose of the cr@p most of us have to endure.

As I pointed out earlier, you are one of the 25% of conscientious workers unfortunately. The old saying comes to mind: "They'll Flog The Willing Horse".

Never a truer word spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Ah annual government provided holidays. It ruins rampant in my place. I haven't call in sick in over 4 years, don't plan on doing so unless I am in a seriously bad way. Once you go down the route of ringing in sick, then it's going to happen all the time. Just get a new job if you want fresh..

donalg1 wrote: »
    Anywhere I have worked you get 5 or 6 days uncertified sick leave in a 12 month period, after that you need a cert from a doctor, and also you can only take 2 uncertified days in a row on the third you need a cert.

Have seen things like this before though where someone doesnt want to come to work because its busy or they are asked to do something they dont want to do so they get a cert from a doctor for a week or two until someone else has done their job for them.

I always wondered though how a doctor can write a cert for someone who isnt actually sick? There should be some sort of regulation as far as Doctor's and this behaviour is concerned its disgraceful and very annoying. There are people in my workplace that are notorious for getting certs when they want one, and there is one doctor in particular that is widely known to hand them out almost over the phone.

Hard one to call. If they convince the doc that they are genuinely in pain/sick there's not a lot he can do. The company I work for pay up to 60 days sick leave each year. I myself was out with swine flu last year for two weeks (confined to bed/home).

The longest I have been out - ever - was eight weeks while being treated in hospital for, essentially, a wrecked back. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

In oour place of work . A sick incident is what it's called and there are limits in a rolling 24 month period . You exceed those limits and u are not eligible for pay increase(performance based) promotion .. It doesn't help u to be sick and is a curse if u have a long time illness and need to work to be able to afford things like medicine etc .. U always end up try to over compensate as u think your self u are under performing compared to others because if your illness but it's the company policy that has fostered this impression ... I would be raging like u if I had to listen to that crap all day ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    In oour place of work . A sick incident is what it's called and there are limits in a rolling 24 month period . You exceed those limits and u are not eligible for pay increase(performance based) promotion ..

Bit harsh, you could get knocked down by a bus this evening, miss time from work and boom, no pay increase for you
    A bus is a dramatic example, someone with a long term illness is more usual but they are a good worker and struggle on

I understand why it's there but it's very blunt and treats everyone the same
    Your management are hitting the genuine cases as well as the rogues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Freddie59 wrote: »

And then there are those who DEFEND everything Public Service............:rolleyes:

What's it got to do with the public service the op has said he doesn't work in the ps. Can't there be one thread that doesn't refer to it?

OP here again!

To be fair, I did not create this thread for people to moan about any sector or any type of job etc. I arrived at work today in a bad mood after talking to my brother on Skype who is Australia. He left the country with his wife two years ago and whilst in Oz has been graced with a little baby boy, who we have only seen on Skype.

He left because there was no work here. Then to hear someone like the guys described in the original post really wound me up.

But it is not even those people where the blame lies. Every one of us deserve the blame because like it or not, we have allowed it to happen. The people we have elected into govern us have run amok with our finances.

No other country in the world would allow a situation to develop whereby people can sit on their behinds at home and get just as much money as the man/woman who works themselves to the bone 40 hours a week.

Its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

As a Non-EU immigrant, I'm told I'm ineligible for disability, the dole, and pretty much every other social program.

Am I eligible for this 'sick-leave' stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Only in Ireland"... do Irish people bitch and moan about the society of which they're part.

And someone actually has a problem with the public sector (because they're not all layabouts) being defended - lol at the bitterness. :D
    As if any of those public sector bashers wouldn't have taken a public sector job back in the day - why take issue with those who simply take a particular job?

Advertisement