Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland Hurling Final 2015 - Kilkenny v. Galway@15:30 Croke Park MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

All very well but Joe has never done it in in an A.I Final, and there and only there is where it counts.

Not at all; by that token DJ Carey was an ordinary enough player. It counts when and where your team really needs it, when a game has to be pulled out of the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

MfMan wrote: »
    Not at all; by that token DJ Carey was an ordinary enough player. It counts when and where your team really needs it, when a game has to be pulled out of the fire.

and the greatest hurler of all-time is Shane O'Donnell of course.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Do Galway announce their team this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling galway might just run away with the game. I think the inexperience of some of the kilkenny players will hit them in the final. Just hope it's not a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling galway might just run away with the game. I think the inexperience of some of the kilkenny players will hit them in the final. Just hope it's not a draw

13 of the Kilkenny team who started the semi final played in the All Ireland final last year between the draw and replay.

If Tyrell and Richie Power make it then that's even more experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Geez, that's the one thing that definitely will not happen in this match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I am delighted PTH2009 has predicted an easy victory for Galway :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel as are as most Galway posters on here with your"the Leinster final does not matter, Galway were not trying, Galway has improved in leaps and bounds since then."
    The truth actually is ye beat a Cork team who would not tackle and a Tipp team who do not know how to tackle. Rest assured Kilkenny not alone know how to tackle but know how to make a tackle count. Galway will try the dirt and the schoolyard bully tactics which has been their norm against Kilkenny for the past ten years, until like all bullies ye back down when ye are hit back. Come 5pm next Sunday, the first chorus of Cunningham will have to go will rise like a chorus from out of the bowls of Croke Park growing to an unholy roar before ye lot hit the Westmeath/ Galway border on the way home with your tails between your legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrel as are as most Galway posters on here with your"the Leinster final does not matter, Galway were not trying, Galway has improved in leaps and bounds since then."
    The truth actually is ye beat a Cork team who would not tackle and a Tipp team who do not know how to tackle. Rest assured Kilkenny not alone know how to tackle but know how to make a tackle count. Galway will try the dirt and the schoolyard bully tactics which has been their norm against Kilkenny for the past ten years, until like all bullies ye back down when ye are hit back. Come 5pm next Sunday, the first chorus of Cunningham will have to go will rise like a chorus from out of the bowls of Croke Park growing to an unholy roar before ye lot hit the Westmeath/ Galway border on the way home with your tails between your legs.

Out for a few pints this evening?:D

• Advertisement

Has somebody said Galway were not trying in the Leinster final? I don't recall reading that post. If they did, they are deluded. Galway tried their best to win that match and were beaten by a better team.

However, Galway have certainly improved since the Leinster final. They have had the matches to improve. They have learnt a lot in those matches. For example, David Burke moving to midfield since then seems to have revitalised him. Similarly, Aidan Harte to wing back has worked out well. These changes have improved the form of some players and consequently the team has benefitted.

On the other hand, it is hard to say Kilkenny have improved since the Leinster final, because they have not had the matches to do so. Maybe they have improved and we just haven't seen it because of the lack of matches. This is the flaw of the system. Whether Galway have improved enough to close the gap between the 2 teams is debatable and we will see on Sunday.

Not sure where you are coming from with the accusation that Galway are dirty. If anything, Galway are far too clean and it has probably cost them some matches in the last few years. Sometimes they have raised their game against Kilkenny, and they always try to play with intensity against Kilkenny. But to win against Kilkenny, you have to play with intensity. The same applies to any champion in any sport - to beat them, you need to be at your best and bring as much intensity and vigour to your performance as you can. The only 'dirty' incident from a Galway side v Kilkenny that springs to mind is the Donnellan sending off in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Steady on a bit there fella, no need to give yourself a heart back before Sunday, be a pity if you weren't there to witness David Collins and Andy Smyth (I presume they'd lift it together) going up to lift Liam in the air on Sunday evening!

All very well but Joe has never done it in in an A.I Final, and there and only there is where it counts.

You might remember in that final that Henry "pulled out of the fire" Joe actually outscored Henry from play by 1-1 to 0-1. He also scored one of the highest pressure frees in the history of the GAA to secure a replay. Henry was good that day, no doubt about it but his performance was unquestionably over rated. He did well on the frees alright but he only got 1 score from play and he turned down the winning of the match twice by taking points from both a 21 yard free and a penalty. Also when you look back on it I think he goes something like 25 minutes of the second half without touching the ball in open play (read this somewhere since)

His frees were vital in helping Kilkenny get back in that match but the main factor in turning the game that day was your half backline lording it for the entire second half, in particular Hogan. Attack after attack was launched by the half backline that day, which in fairness was helped by our half forward line pulling out too far in the second half.

Where, or what, are the bowls of Croke Park?
    Galway and Westmeath don't share a common border.
    Some village, (The Village?), out looking for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The same person just said "only all Ireland finals matter" and the gave out about Galway fans saying the Leinster final doesn't matter.

I really would disregard that petty rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Sticking with Kilkenny on this one. Predicted a Kilkenny v Tipperary final earlier this year with one possible shock, Galway beating Tipp in the semi. That happened but gonna keep that as the only shock of the year.
    Kilkenny have more big day experience, after the Tipp match they know what to expect from Galway and know their weaknesses too. No better team to exploit a weakness. Remember Galway have won nothing yet this year. I stand by my thinking, that Tipperary fell flat and did not show in that semi final and still caused Galway a lot of trouble. Galway hammered them in workrate, hooks, tackles but it was still a close affair. Kilkenny will bring a more intense performance than Tipps to match Galways. With an equal effort from both teams, I can only see a Kilkenny win.
    I have noticed these treads were much busier heading into the semi finals, I know there were 4 counties involved then but I expected a much more energetic buildup. Prior to the Galway v Tipperary semi final, Galway fans and players seemed to be frothing at the mouth, this was the match they were waiting for. Confidence was there, even read players in the media saying things like 'we have to hate Tipperary'. I may have missed it but I have not seen that kind of focus in the past weeks. I even read a former Galway player say something along the lines of 'if we match them in the air, we have a fighting chance'. A fighting chance? may as well not show up!
    I hope for a Galway win, but I have a fear that there is as much a chance of them not playing like they did in the semi final, and being beaten by 5 to 7 like the Leinster final, or more, as they do winning this match. If they show up, it will be close, but still going for a KK win.
    So c'mon Galway, where's the venom gone??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Not sure where you are coming from with the accusation that Galway are dirty. If anything, Galway are far too clean and it has probably cost them some matches in the last few years. Sometimes they have raised their game against Kilkenny, and they always try to play with intensity against Kilkenny. But to win against Kilkenny, you have to play with intensity. The same applies to any champion in any sport - to beat them, you need to be at your best and bring as much intensity and vigour to your performance as you can. The only 'dirty' incident from a Galway side v Kilkenny that springs to mind is the Donnellan sending off in 2012.

I wasn't going to mention this in the run up to the match but now you bizarrely claim that Galway are far too clean i must say that if anything the opposite is the case and I cannot understand how more is not made of this by gaa people and the media especially you consider what was said about kilkenny over the years

Galway are physically the bigges tteam in the country and well able to dish it out

As an example,Galway received 8 yellow cards against Dublin this year, nothing made of it. (Not that I want there to be but if it was Kk etc...) and there were quite a few incidents in that game where the card could have been different

They have A.Smith a player that is everything Tommy Walsh was wrongly accused of being and more, Tommy while no angel never went looking for trouble, Smith relishes it, late shots on prone players, always first into the skirmishes etc. I could go on and on..

Then we have Joe this year, now while he is not a dirty player there have been a number of incidents where he was very lucky to not be sent off, some would say a lesser profile player would have walked..

Concerning dirt, I can think of at least three red cards for striking received by Galway players against Kilkenny alone in the last three years.

Do you really need reminding who put TJ Reid out of the game for almost a year by breaking his kneecap nowhere near the ball? That player would certainly not be regarded as a shrinking violet in this context

Take a look at the treatment received by Taggy Forgarty in the last ten minutes of the 12 replay, by a player who the next year was knocked unconcious trying to take out a wide open wally walsh

There are more examples but you get my point.

Yeah Kilkenny are no angels (thankfully) but I just wanted to give some balance to your post and the seemingly not uncommonly held opinion that Galway are 'too clean'

I wasn't going to mention this in the run up to the match but now you bizarrely claim that Galway are far too clean i must say that if anything the opposite is the case and I cannot understand how more is not made of this by gaa people and the media especially you consider what was said about kilkenny over the years

Galway are physically the bigges tteam in the country and well able to dish it out

As an example,Galway received 8 yellow cards against Dublin this year, nothing made of it. (Not that I want there to be but if it was Kk etc...) and there were quite a few incidents in that game where the card could have been different

They have A.Smith a player that is everything Tommy Walsh was wrongly accused of being and more, Tommy while no angel never went looking for trouble, Smith relishes it, late shots on prone players, always first into the skirmishes etc. I could go on and on..

Then we have Joe this year, now while he is not a dirty player there have been a number of incidents where he was very lucky to not be sent off, some would say a lesser profile player would have walked..

Concerning dirt, I can think of at least three red cards for striking received by Galway players against Kilkenny alone in the last three years.

Do you really need reminding who put TJ Reid out of the game for almost a year by breaking his kneecap nowhere near the ball? That player would certainly not be regarded as a shrinking violet in this context

Take a look at the treatment received by Taggy Forgarty in the last ten minutes of the 12 replay, by a player who the next year was knocked unconcious trying to take out a wide open wally walsh

There are more examples but you get my point.

Yeah Kilkenny are no angels (thankfully) but I just wanted to give some balance to your post and the seemingly not uncommonly held opinion that Galway are 'too clean'

Three red cards? In the championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Three red cards? In the championship?

Not just championship, across all senior comps.

Sticking with Kilkenny on this one. Predicted a Kilkenny v Tipperary final earlier this year with one possible shock, Galway beating Tipp in the semi. That happened but gonna keep that as the only shock of the year.
    Kilkenny have more big day experience, after the Tipp match they know what to expect from Galway and know their weaknesses too. No better team to exploit a weakness. Remember Galway have won nothing yet this year. I stand by my thinking, that Tipperary fell flat and did not show in that semi final and still caused Galway a lot of trouble. Galway hammered them in workrate, hooks, tackles but it was still a close affair. Kilkenny will bring a more intense performance than Tipps to match Galways. With an equal effort from both teams, I can only see a Kilkenny win.
    I have noticed these treads were much busier heading into the semi finals, I know there were 4 counties involved then but I expected a much more energetic buildup. Prior to the Galway v Tipperary semi final, Galway fans and players seemed to be frothing at the mouth, this was the match they were waiting for. Confidence was there, even read players in the media saying things like 'we have to hate Tipperary'. I may have missed it but I have not seen that kind of focus in the past weeks. I even read a former Galway player say something along the lines of 'if we match them in the air, we have a fighting chance'. A fighting chance? may as well not show up!
    I hope for a Galway win, but I have a fear that there is as much a chance of them not playing like they did in the semi final, and being beaten by 5 to 7 like the Leinster final, or more, as they do winning this match. If they show up, it will be close, but still going for a KK win.
    So c'mon Galway, where's the venom gone??

A fair summation. I think Galway fans are keeping the run-up to this one more low-key, 'daring to hope' etc. Wouldn't give much heed to what former players say if they've no actual input to the team. Don't necessarily think that Tipp fell flat either, more that they weren't let play. KK's experience is a big advantage in their favour of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Does anyone know when the club return tickets will go up online for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

This is such a nonsense statement in so many ways. First that is not the only place where it counts for blindingly obvious reasons.

Second, Joe has most definitely 'done it' in an AI final. Two AI minor winners medals, one U21 and four AI club titles including several MOTM performances in the finals. Of course, you will no doubt dismiss those as unimportant although I would say that the club championship just as hard won (if not more so) as a senior intercounty, given that the winning club team will usually have to play 5 or 6 games (if not more) against teams that are at a similar level whereas the winning intercounty team will often have only 3 or 4 genuinely competitive games in the championship.

Given that he has only played in one senior intercounty AI final, I can only conclude that you clearly haven't got a clue.

A fair summation. I think Galway fans are keeping the run-up to this one more low-key, 'daring to hope' etc. Wouldn't give much heed to what former players say if they've no actual input to the team. Don't necessarily think that Tipp fell flat either, more that they weren't let play. KK's experience is a big advantage in their favour of course.

I can only call it as I see it. Perhaps in camp the momentum and focus has remained. But from my perspective its as though the pressure, momentum, drive built up around this team through Cork and Tipp matches was released after the Semi final win. Again it's just how I see it. I hope to god in camp it is the same if not stronger. The remarks of a former player may be disregarded but it does show some form of the mind set. The battle cry from players has not been evident at all, and that most certainly was present in the last few games.

I may be waaaaay off here, hope i am, but it was working for Galway, they felt like a force they way the built up into and played in their last two matches. Why change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Myself and the brother got our tickets from the club during the week.
    Fair play to them. Not once in the last 15 years have we missed out and they usually manage to get us a pair somewhere in the ground.
    Nearly all members always get looked after.
    Is it the same in other clubs/counties or are we one of the luckier ones?

that Tipperary fell flat and did not show in that semi final and still caused Galway a lot of trouble

Ah sure apparently nobody turned up to play Galway this year yet when they lose its a case of "Well they're inconsistent".

The teams turned up, but were not allowed to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This coming from the guy who predicted Wexford, then Dublin, then Galway to win Leinster this year.

I look forward to your predictions for next year. surely it's time for Kerry to add to their All Ireland haul?

Getting more technical, a SWOT analysis;

Galway.
    Strengths;
    Coming in with good form and confidence, forwards and midfield playing well, goalie solid.
    Have never come into a final having played more games, a major plus.
    Form has definitely improved since the LF.
    More depth to the squad with plenty of defensive cover on the bench.
    Most of the team have won AI’s at various levels, so they have an idea of what it takes.

Weaknesses;
    Central defensive positions probably vulnerable.
    Attacking options off the bench could be stronger.
    More scoring threat probably needed from Glynn and Donnellan.

Opportunities;
    Can attack a KK defence that may be vulnerable to pace.
    Forwards can and probably will rotate.
    Playing a KK team not as invincible-looking as from some years ago.

Threats;
    No team like KK close down space for opposing attackers.
    Giving away so much in experience and big-match-day know-how.
    Opposing manager gets it right so often, Galway mgmt. have to learn this trait.
    Galway have never beaten the ‘Big 3’ in one championship season before.

KK.
    S;
    Always make the game be played on their terms, another AI appearance won’t faze them.
    Adept at closing down the opposition, very suffocating team.
    In Hogan and Reid, have 2 match-winners bang-in form. Almost impossible to mark.
    Strong HB line and solid midfield.

W;
    Other forwards maybe not game-winners on their own.
    FB line perhaps not fully stress-tested as yet.
    Fitness concerns to varying degrees about Larkin, Hogan, M Fennelly, maybe Aylward, R Power, Tyrell. The latter 2, if added to the squad, doesn’t say too much about KK’s strength-in-depth.

O;
    Can go after Galway’s weakness in the FB line, have the men to exploit deficiencies here, especially under the high ball.
    Have the ability to ease away from opponents, until the opposition is suddenly chasing the game.
    Have the great ability to wrong-foot opponents, pull an unheralded player or tactical formation from out of the blue.

T;
    Team with injuries may finally start to creak a bit.
    Playing a team chomping at the bit for action and starving for victory.
    Mightn’t have the spread of scoring threat that Galway have.

I don’t fear for Galway on Sunday in terms of hurling-ability alone. I do fear for them in terms of imposing their game-plan on KK, their lack of big-match experience, their ability to handle the occasion. Being 5 points down early on v KK is not the same as being 5 down to Tipp. KK are the ultimate Terminators; they don’t do sentiment, they don’t do “we lost it last year, so it’s our turn to win it this year”, nobody makes you come second like they do. Their greatness as a team is that they are a team, even greater than the sum of their individual parts. Very difficult to knock out of their stride and make them chase the game.

As against that, Galway don’t fear KK, perhaps no other county have given Cody more bothersome matches. No team play like Galway when on a roll, they can rack up the scores, from all sources. At their best, they play at a pace that’s very hard to counteract.

The closer the match comes, the more nervous I am; KK are such serial winners that the find ways to win so easily, opposition nearly needs to be 5 points a better team to win by 1. Yet, my gut instinct tells me that I just think KK are coming in without being fully tested, a bit undercooked, and that the team is finally starting to show the mileage. Galway were discounted before the c’ship started and have been fairly under-rated in most games to date, being outsiders in v Dublin (drawn game), LF, Cork and Tipp. Bar the LF, they’ve won them all and being clearly the better team in all of these. They have a good blend now of steel, confidence, form, youth and experience. One likes to think every year is different, maybe, just maybe, this time it is. Galway to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Good analysis MfMan.

I just hope your conclusion is wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Have me tickets got I can't fcuking wait for this game.KK the kings and Galway wanting to dethrone them.
    The best thing about the build up to this game is the football replay and red card appeals,which suits Galway,less media to worry about since Monday.
    Make no mistake Galway want this like men possessed as shown against tipp the last day.
    Galway have always caused KK trouble down through the years and this year will be no exception they have found a new level since a imo nervy LF which they gave up 1-4 cheaply.
    They caught KK on the hop in the 12 LF and that KK team was coming near the end of its greatness at the time.Since the LF Galway have kicked on never losing sight of what they want a AI.This is the most driven Galway team I've seen since 87-88.As seen by taking the body blows of SC goals and they kept going the will to win is huge and look at the amount of scoring chances they have created since the LF and how they are functioning as a team.Either team will have to be at there best to win and they'll know they had a game.
    Ps I'm still not sure about James Owens reffing anyone else agree or disagree

Trying not to sound like a broken record here but it was actually David Collins who made both remarks. On Rte articles, Collins pre semi final says: 'theres payback there that we need to bring to the next game, attitude has to be there', speaking about their loss to Tipp in 2014. He says: 'We have to take it that we nearly hate Tipperary, that they’re in our way and we need to get them out of the way. That’s the attitude you have to take.' This was the drive and momentum I was talking about Galway having in the last two games. They played like he spoke here.

On this weeks rte article the same man speaks about consistency and squad depth when talking about his own team, the usual, but on Kilkenny he says: 'Kilkenny have been the landmark for the last ten to 15 years and we know what we're up against.' and 'stopping that long ball from their half-back line. If we can do that, then we have a fighting chance.'

To me, that is a man in a dominant frame of mind over his semi final opponents and a submissive frame of mind over his next opponents. Granted this is all small stuff but to go from having to hate one opponent and give them payback to praising their next opponents and hoping for a fighting chance, an opponent that already beat them in a final. Wheres the payback now? I just have a dull deep feeling that the semi final was Galways real 'final'.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Trying not to sound like a broken record here but it was actually David Collins who made both remarks. On Rte articles, Collins pre semi final says: 'theres payback there that we need to bring to the next game, attitude has to be there', speaking about their loss to Tipp in 2014. He says: 'We have to take it that we nearly hate Tipperary, that they’re in our way and we need to get them out of the way. That’s the attitude you have to take.' This was the drive and momentum I was talking about Galway having in the last two games. They played like he spoke here.

On this weeks rte article the same man speaks about consistency and squad depth when talking about his own team, the usual, but on Kilkenny he says: 'Kilkenny have been the landmark for the last ten to 15 years and we know what we're up against.' and 'stopping that long ball from their half-back line. If we can do that, then we have a fighting chance.'

To me, that is a man in a dominant frame of mind over his semi final opponents and a submissive frame of mind over his next opponents. Granted this is all small stuff but to go from having to hate one opponent and give them payback to praising their next opponents and hoping for a fighting chance, an opponent that already beat them in a final. Wheres the payback now? I just have a dull deep feeling that the semi final was Galways real 'final'.

You may be over-analysing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Steady on a bit there fella, no need to give yourself a heart back before Sunday, be a pity if you weren't there to witness David Collins and Andy Smyth (I presume they'd lift it together) going up to lift Liam in the air on Sunday evening!

We all know what ye lot did to TJ off the ball and as for the latter mentioned player so far to date when it comes to Kilkenny he has spent far more time trying to hit Kilkenny players than the ball and not in a manly way either,(one would respect that). We have long memories down here so don't think for one second the revenge factor is all one sided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

We all know what ye lot did to TJ off the ball and as for the latter mentioned player so far to date when it comes to Kilkenny he has spent far more time trying to hit Kilkenny players than the ball and not in a manly way either,(one would respect that). We have long memories down here so don't think for one second the revenge factor is all one sided.
    You do realise these sides have played each other a few times since yea?

Mr. Boo wrote: »
    You may be over-analysing it.

I sure hope so, maybe its just a slow Friday, we'll know Sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

I sure hope so, maybe its just a slow Friday, we'll know Sunday evening

Apologies, I should have been less ambiguous: you are over-analysing it.

We have long memories too. I remember Bill Hennessy taking Michael Coleman out of the game with a chest-high pull in the '93 final at the throw-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I've been correct with my predictions of most the matches this year and hopefully I'm correct with this one.

To me, Kilkenny are a superior team to the one that won the AI last year. Richie Hogan and Richie Power came up with vital moments in the semis and the finals. Other than that I dont think they would have won.

This year the work rate has uped
    have a new forward capable of doing damage in Ger Alyward.
    Michael Fennelly has seemed to move back to midfield were he is best.
    Cillian Buckley has been unreal ( probably strongest dark horse for HOTY)
    TJ Reid form has improved further
    Holden has been brilliant but somewhat untested.

I think then, Galway arent as good as they are being made out to be. I said it before the semi that Tipp weren't as good as last year and I thought that Tipp really showed that vs Galway. Galway's full back line was shocking and surely they will have this fixed for the final. Galway's forwards have been brilliant especially Cyril Donnelan and Jason Flynn. Joe Canning really needs to up it for the final. He has immense skill but I haven't seen he really trouble a defense like Reid,Calinan and Hogan in a very long time.

Its a very hard game to call but in the words of Cyril Farrell 'Kilkenny are Kilkenny' and I expect them to win. I think the weakness in the Galway defence is the difference and Kilkenny have the 3rd forward that needs to be watched closely in Ger Alyward. The Kilkenny forward line will essentially be too hot to handle all of them.

Interestingly The Last team to score 3 or more goals vs Kilkenny were Galway in 2014

deadybai wrote: »
    I've been correct with my predictions of most the matches this year and hopefully I'm correct with this one.

To me, Kilkenny are a superior team to the one that won the AI last year. Richie Hogan and Richie Power came up with vital moments in the semis and the finals. Other than that I dont think they would have won.

I think then, Galway arent as good as they are being made out to be. I said it before the semi that Tipp weren't as good as last year and I thought that Tipp really showed that vs Galway. Galway's full back line was shocking and surely they will have this fixed for the final. Galway's forwards have been brilliant especially Cyril Donnelan and Jason Flynn. Joe Canning really needs to up it for the final. He has immense skill but I haven't seen he really trouble a defense like Reid,Calinan and Hogan in a very long time.

Its a very hard game to call but in the words of Cyril Farrell 'Kilkenny are Kilkenny' and I expect them to win. I think the weakness in the Galway defence is the difference and Kilkenny have the 3rd forward that needs to be watched closely in Ger Alyward. The Kilkenny forward line will essentially be too hot to handle all of them.

Interestingly The Last team to score 3 or more goals vs Kilkenny were Galway in 2014

hmmmmm... to quote Eamon O'Shea from before - "Those that think they know us, don't know us."

Don't think even the most optimistic Galway fan would describe Cyril's form as brilliant, effective maybe. You may be correct re: Canning, but I always say about him, judge him at the end of the game, total up all that he has done during it, then you'll see how much actual influence he has. Anyways, each to their own.

hmmmmm... to quote Eamon O'Shea from before - "Those that think they know us, don't know us."

Don't think even the most optimistic Galway fan would describe Cyril's form as brilliant, effective maybe. You may be correct re: Canning, but I always say about him, judge him at the end of the game, total up all that he has done during it, then you'll see how much actual influence he has. Anyways, each to their own.

Cyril has been probably the worst of our 6 forwards this year I'd say. He's been effective enough at times but his old failings have come back to haunt him a few times too (crazy wides). I think he has it in him to have a decent final though.

Can't for the life of me understand the criticism Canning is getting. He's been very good all year, think he's top scorer from play in the championship (or if not then a very close second to Cathal Mannian). Against Cork he actually had a fine game, you have to be doing an awful lot right to get the amount of possession he got that day, just he kept hitting it wide. One of those days. Against Tipp he had a few wides again but overall had a very good day in terms of scoring and contributing to scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Sorry meant to say Cathal Mannion in my first post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I heard a rumour that Cody is going to spring a surprise by starting Kevin Kelly at wing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Cody is going to spring a surprise by starting Kevin Kelly at wing forward.

As a Galwayman, I would be much more concerned about the impact Richie Power could potentially have than Kelly tbh! Kelly is a good hurler but def cant see him having the impact Walter Walsh had in 2012!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rasputin11 wrote: »

It would be a hell of a surprise for a lad that couldn't make the match-day panel last day out.

deadybai wrote: »

Totally not a dark horse! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Cyril has been probably the worst of our 6 forwards this year I'd say. He's been effective enough at times but his old failings have come back to haunt him a few times too (crazy wides). I think he has it in him to have a decent final though.

Can't for the life of me understand the criticism Canning is getting. He's been very good all year, think he's top scorer from play in the championship (or if not then a very close second to Cathal Mannian). Against Cork he actually had a fine game, you have to be doing an awful lot right to get the amount of possession he got that day, just he kept hitting it wide. One of those days. Against Tipp he had a few wides again but overall had a very good day in terms of scoring and contributing to scores.

Donnellan's return has been crucial to this team and the functioning of that forward line as a unit. had a very good game against against Tipp even if it seemed to go under the radar. always seems to have a couple of wides alright but Canning had a combined total of 12 in his last two games....forwards will always have wides. think Donnellan will have a big final too...always stands up in the big games. canning will have a big one....radar will be in for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just say KK win , would it be the first a team win playing only 4 games ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Same again for KK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Triboro

From a neutral corner... Galway by 4!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just say KK win , would it be the first a team win playing only 4 games ?

Absolutely not no. Pretty much the norm before the back door was introduced, only the first round Munster teams would have played 5.

Galway were straight into semi finals back then so 87/88 they won 2 All Irelands playing only 4 games.

Kilkenny team has no changes, Tyrell and Power warming the bench.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

361259.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement