Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blackbelted

bpbraz,

I would call them and tell them that you are travelling. They increased the turnaround day to up to 20 days.

Also a bunch of new Irish citizens (3800 people) will be applying to first time passports soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bpbraz

I cannot call as they have an automated answering machine, I have tried calling for the past 10 days now each day, since before i had made my application and same thing, is there anything else i can do?

does anyone have a number i can phone that doesnt have an automated "sorry our phone lines are too busy" response?

Have you tried emailing ? passportdublin ( at ) dfa.ie

Use the word URGENT in the subject. Hope it helps.

I wrote them an email both yesterday & today to which ive had no response, I just took your advise and forwarded the same mail with URGENT in the subject line, hopefully this helps.

BTW does the online tracking system say anything?

• Advertisement

I cannot check the online tracking system as unfortunately I have lost my receipt. Im beginning to grow extremely anxious now, the last thing i want is to receive my application back, 3 days before travel as something was done in error.

If i take some time off work and visit the passport office will they offer me any insight as to the progress of my application?

I was just going to say this..
    If you don't have it by Monday morning, give a visit to the Dublin office. That's what I would do. But wait until this week is over I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

As has been stated many times there's no point going to the office without an appointment.

It's better than sitting and waiting, even if they don't take your query, they might point you somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I cannot set up an appointment regarding inquiries to applications already made, only for new applications / renewals. what do you suggest?

can anybody suggest a way i can inquire as to the progress of my passport application without a tracking number?

im suffering extreme anxiety in regards to this so all help is very much appreciated

They responded to my email:

Dear Brian

I cannot trace the application without the application number as of yet, if you contact me on Friday I will try again

Kind regards

I hope to god they can find it on Friday and that it hasnt already been returned for some unknown reason

You may ask your post office if they can access to your receipt on the day you posted your application, and track it online/ email that lady back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

And take the girl's name out of your post.

Done, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

@bpbraz

You've left it very tight by applying on the 30th June. If the turnaround is now 13 days, that's basically the same day that you are due to fly out.

Try calling them again at 9am on the button. If you get the automated response, hang up immediately and try again. Keep trying. Unfortunately though, without your application number, the people in the call centre are unlikely to find your application until it is scanned in (which could be a few days before your issue by date).

You could drop in to the office, explain your predicament and they might direct you to customer care, who could put a note on your application to say you want to collect it before the 17th - but in order to do this, you would need to either (a) get your application number or (b) pray that your application has been scanned in, and that the customer care staff can locate your application based on your personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Going through passport hell here this last few weeks.....

Is anyone else mystified why it's quicker to get your passport through the postal express service than get an appointment for an emergency passport - absolute madness. Last year the appointment system worked like a dream and I had my passport in a few days, what's happened in the last 12 months?

I would say only in Ireland but we're also trying to get one through the British Passport Service as well. 600,000 back-log!!!! Got an appointment for an Emergency Travel Document today, issued in 15 minutes but an extra €125. The more cynical may view the back log as a huge money spinner, it's a wonder Ireland hasn't adopted it as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Is anyone else mystified why it's quicker to get your passport through the postal express service than get an appointment for an emergency passport - absolute madness. Last year the appointment system worked like a dream and I had my passport in a few days, what's happened in the last 12 months?

I would say only in Ireland but we're also trying to get one through the British Passport Service as well. 600,000 back-log!!!! Got an appointment for an Emergency Travel Document today, issued in 15 minutes but an extra €125. The more cynical may view the back log as a huge money spinner, it's a wonder Ireland hasn't adopted it as well!

It's nothing to do with money. It's to do with the volume of people applying for passports at the same time. The backlog in the UK system has put pressure on the appointments system here in the republic. In Cork we have had people travelling from the North for an appointment. Northern applicants would usually be served by Dublin. A lot of people up there have suddenly remembered their eligibility for an Irish passport with the massive backlog for UK passports. Last week in cork we had a woman fly over from London to get an Irish passport because of the backlog in the UK system. She never thought of bringing any of the required documents for a first time Irish passport application so it was a wasted trip.

Having a naturalization ceremony in July hasn't helped things either. All the naturalized people seem to have put in their passport applications straight away, again putting pressure on the appointments system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because the system is sensibly set up to deal with applications by post and then processed in a big centre which should be more efficient and higher quality than processing in what is really an inquiry office.

What I think should be provided is a checking service - perhaps at the post office like the UK - so that prior to posting an application can be verified thereby enabling straight through processing.

I've had occasion to use the emergency service while in transit overseas in the past but it was a genuine emergency. Lots of people posting here seek expedited passports because they have lost them in the house (often found later) or have booked a short notice trip without checking validity or who have booked well in advance, know they need to renew but leave it until 3 weeks before as there's a stated 2 week turnaround. While I might agree that adding 50% to the time should be sufficient! I have to say I wouldn't see that as an emergency.

I'd love to see the stats on passport applications, I'd imagine the bulk are between end April and mid July. Even allowing for the hiring of seasonal staff (which seems odd for a job requiring familiarity and document checking), this must be a nightmare to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Marcusm wrote: »
    Because the system is sensibly set up to deal with applications by post and then processed in a big centre which should be more efficient and higher quality than processing in what is really an inquiry office.

What I think should be provided is a checking service - perhaps at the post office like the UK - so that prior to posting an application can be verified thereby enabling straight through processing.

I've had occasion to use the emergency service while in transit overseas in the past but it was a genuine emergency. Lots of people posting here seek expedited passports because they have lost them in the house (often found later) or have booked a short notice trip without checking validity or who have booked well in advance, know they need to renew but leave it until 3 weeks before as there's a stated 2 week turnaround. While I might agree that adding 50% to the time should be sufficient! I have to say I wouldn't see that as an emergency.

I'd love to see the stats on passport applications, I'd imagine the bulk are between end April and mid July. Even allowing for the hiring of seasonal staff (which seems odd for a job requiring familiarity and document checking), this must be a nightmare to run.

The post office staff should either offer a checking service or keep their mouths shut. I've rejected passport applications and people would ring me and say 'oh the lady at the post office said it was grand'. It's like they believe them over you.

You really get immune to the sob stories and tears in the passport office. At the beginning you feel sorry but 99% of the time people's troubles are of their own making. I've pushed passport applications ahead for people before only to catch them out in a lie later on. This makes you reluctant to do it again. The system in place is fair.

Ya, most applications come in the window you mentioned. The stats are on the passport office website if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'd love to see the stats on passport applications, I'd imagine the bulk are between end April and mid July.

Ask and you shall receive. I pulled this data from the passport website. it shows applications processed in 2013.

If you like these pictures, visit the forum in my link :)

HOkSjb0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Are you saying that you got an emergency passport by appointment quicker a year ago, and now this year the appointment system is not as fast for you?

Gatica wrote: »
    Are you saying that you got an emergency passport by appointment quicker a year ago, and now this year the appointment system is not as fast for you?

Yes. Last year, in August, discovered my passport had expired. Filled in form, delivered to office, got appointment, collected passport three days later. No fuss, very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yes. Last year, in August, discovered my passport had expired. Filled in form, delivered to office, got appointment, collected passport three days later. No fuss, very efficient.

Then why are you applying again this year? Or did you just get a 1 year emergency passport last year?

indeed, I may have misunderstood your post but it sounded like you were trying to get another emergency passport again this year. If that were to be the case without good reason, then in my opinion that would be an abuse of the system.

Last year was mine, this year my daughter. Just collecting Emergency Travel Doc now.... :)

I am taking a half day from work today to visit the post office in efforts to obtain my tracking number, with that I will be making my way to the passport office in Dublin to explain my predicament. Thanks for all the advise so far guys. Shall let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

Last year was mine, this year my daughter. Just collecting Emergency Travel Doc now.... :)

I don't get why people consider failure to plan ahead an emergency. If you had to get emergency documents last year, one would think that it would make sense to check documents in plenty of time and not be rushing with another "emergency" application.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement