Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooklyn Nine-Nine [Fox]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This is one of those shows that grew on me episode by episode to the point that I went from thinking it was alright, to realising that the new episode is out and I must watch it asap...

Hope it gets a boost post Superbowl and gets a season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just after watching the pilot and the CO really is great in it, considering it such a serious role and he playing a CO in the submarine TV show that never really got going!

Love the actor that plays Charles or even his character in it

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This one 2 Goldne Globes:
    Best Comedy and Andy Sandberg got best sitcom Actor (or something like that).
    Pretty incredible considering it was up against the like of the Big Bang Theory which has a huge following.

I love Hulu Plus. It allows me to catch up on shows like this which I'd otherwise have kept on the backburner.

Really enjoying the show, it's consistently funny and the cast are great with some really nice chemistry and great one liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I love this show and particularly thought this week and last week were excellent. Anyone who isn't watching this should start, especially as it is starting on E4 soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I really really want to watch this show BUT I had never heard of Andy Sandberg until last year when I watched The Comedy Roast of James Franco. Andy Sandberg was on that and he was (imo) painfully unfunny. I took an immediate dislike to him ( have the same dislike for Andrew Maxwell and Jason Byrne :) )

I just look at the trailers for the show and see Andy Sandberg and go "nah, cant watch it". Help me break through this mental barrier :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

gazzer wrote: »
    I really really want to watch this show BUT I had never heard of Andy Sandberg until last year when I watched The Comedy Roast of James Franco. Andy Sandberg was on that and he was (imo) painfully unfunny. I took an immediate dislike to him ( have the same dislike for Andrew Maxwell and Jason Byrne :) )

I just look at the trailers for the show and see Andy Sandberg and go "nah, cant watch it". Help me break through this mental barrier :)

The movie Hot Rod starring Sandberg might change your mind.

Great episode this week, keeps getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

gazzer wrote: »

Jason byrne and Maxwell are painfully unfunny, Samberg is brilliant and attacks on all fronts(music, sketch shows, TV, movies) Definitely worth checking out something of his as he's brilliant.

Samberg wasn't funny in the Roast of James Franco, but I've loved him in everything else I've seen him in.
    Plus, you should check out his band The Lonely Island...

For about 3 years he was the only funny thing in SNL. Ok well him and Keenan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Didn't think this was great at first but it's grown on me big time.

The last few episodes have been excellent, like really excellent.

The Icarus gags, the food critic, giving yer one the mirror to distract herself, the people studying her at the party, opera singer, "you can have my shirt, i was gonna take it off anyway", shorts........... it's comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Slightly better than the usual 2 Broke Girls US sitcom standard.Like everyone in it bar Samberg,who comes across as trying too hard to act casually funny.

Joe Lo Truglio is the star of the series for me.

Another great episode this week.

It was nice seeing Jake and Gina doing that storyline, because Andy Samberg and Chelsea Peretti are actually childhood friends in real life.

Another great episode this week.

It was nice seeing Jake and Gina doing that storyline, because Andy Samberg and Chelsea Peretti are actually childhood friends in real life.

Don't remember them ever mentioning the character backstory before, but it was still an excellent episode. Love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Great episode.
    Series just gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Yeah I was dubious from the first few episodes but it's getting better and better yaay

^It has gone from middle of the pack freshman comedy to best new series of the season for me. Early on I was considering dropping it from my viewing schedule, but so so glad I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I thoght it had a strong start for a comedy. The pilot and even the first 2-3 episodes worked surprisingly well. It really hit the ground running as the cast all felt like they were already bedded in. It actually felt like starting to watch a show from about ep 8 or so! I just hope they continue things as they are for Season 2 and don't try to over think it or rejig anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Basq wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the show is Chelsea Peretti... horribly unfunny!

Couldn't disagree more, I think she is possibly the funniest female comedian out there. Any stand up I've seen her do is brilliant.

Really liking the show too. Ratings are starting to drop though which is not a good sign for a second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

RichFTW wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more, I think she is possibly the funniest female comedian out there. Any stand up I've seen her do is brilliant.

Really liking the show too. Ratings are starting to drop though which is not a good sign for a second season.

Her stand up May he good but her character is extremely annoying and pointless in this show.

I'm sure she is as funny as you say but we certainly don't see it in this show.

seiphil wrote: »
    Her stand up May he good but her character is extremely annoying and pointless in this show.

I'm sure she is as funny as you say but we certainly don't see it in this show.

My opinion could be influenced by the fact that I worked in an office with someone like her character, i.e. pretty useless who didn't do her job so that could be why I relate with the Gina character. Or I could just have my rose tinted fan glasses on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I am loving this show. This is not a criticism, but does anyone else get a chevy chase vibe from Samberg? I definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

RichFTW wrote: »
    My opinion could be influenced by the fact that I worked in an office with someone like her character, i.e. pretty useless who didn't do her job so that could be why I relate with the Gina character. Or I could just have my rose tinted fan glasses on!
    I like Peretti but as the show hits its stride I do think her character is the one that the writers are struggling with the most.

She was very much a fringe character for the first few episodes but they've worked hard to ensure that she's considered to be part of the core group. It may have led to slight changes in character but I'm more than happy to see her be integral to the A story every once in a while like she was this week.

Love this show and it actually does make LOL apart from some of SALTS i do when watching TBBT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Absolute dirt. Saw a few minutes of it. Stupid non funny jokes, with the background laughing every two seconds.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Absolute dirt. Saw a few minutes of it. Stupid non funny jokes, with the background laughing every two seconds.

There is no background laughter actually. Great contribution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

MJ23 wrote: »

No background laughing on this so you'll excuse me if i ignore the rest of your nonsense also. Enjoy it myself and is improving as the season progresses. Certainly better than some of the other rot out there like HIMYM

The most recent episode of TBBT was good but most of it is drole with the audience laughing uncontrollably but this just keeps getting better and better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

The point of Gina is that she's useless. Doesn't do her job and is 'just there'. They'll have to give her something more to do in time and I can see they're working to do that but part of her appeal is her annoying nature. Characters change over time so I expect her to become more meaningful and less grating by the end of the season. I don't quite cringe while she's on screen but I'm not far off it either but it's funny. I think the last episode with the focus mainly on her and Peretti was very good actually. It gave her a chance to show another side to the character and a bit of depth.

Advertisement