Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Expo 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Was the cat village up the little stairs in the same place as last yr? Can anyone tell me if any of the clubs were represented or just individual people. Was there a reasonable variety of breeds?
    It's bang in the middle of show season which is why I chose not to go with my guys. I'm a member of all the clubs and didn't hear of anyone being asked to attend. Last yr was good but we were really out of the way, not visible at all. The staff however were fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oooh i'm tempted to respond to Pet Expo's post in FB - " Don't worry if there's rain outside today, Pet Expo 2011 is totally indoors this year! The only wet people are the fish!!" Eh actually Pet Expo we all preferred last year when there was inside and outside areas?? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I went yesterday -(ish :p) I didn't get there till after 5 when it was all over, but on the plus side I didn't have to pay. Basicly I just had a quick run around, talked to a few people I was specifically looking for, got some vet bed and went home :(. Ah well, there's always next year! I spent the day buying a jeep and was held up much longer than I expected with that.

One question - who lets their dogs pee on stands holding stuff for sale? Every little display stand had a pool of wee at the bottom :eek:. Christmas cards etc. near the bottom all urine soaked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Went out there this morning and it being my first time had nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was really good! Went with my mam, my sister and my 1 year old niece who spent the entire time walking up to all dogs saying 'wow wow' :D

Met loads of breeds and all the owners were so lovely, and all the dogs were great with my niece :) also met andreac and her gorgeous rotties! Got a few freebies too but not much compared with people's tales of previous years, still came home with some samples and a frisbee which lasted less than ten mins but still! All in all a good day just gutted we had to leave just as the dog show wad starting but saw the DTI agility display which was realky fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Went this morning. I didnt think it was nearly as good as previous years, agree with all comments re it being crammed into a smaller space etc..

I really enjoyed breed village and met some lovely dogs and owners, andreac - I went over to you and your rotties but it was very busy at the time so didnt get to speak to you specifically.

I also enjoyed meeting the therapy dogs at Peata and the Kerry Greyhound Connection dogs and people - all lovely.

Met some lovely random owners and dogs also.

Noticed quite a few of the charities who were there before werent there this year. I suppose its hard to justify the cost of a stand. Also felt that things like the reptile village and the bunnys were a bit squashed in and very difficult to have a proper look.

Less of a festive feel to it, I remember last year being randomly handed feed for geese and there being more farm animals with extremely fun and merry people looking after them who you could have great fun with.

Didnt see any cats?

It definitely felt a bit like 'Recession Pet Expo' but it was still fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

We went yesterday as usual with the kids.As usual a good standard.
    Kids found it very entertaining.It was a bit smaller this year but that was to be expected.
    The only thing that bugs me about the RDS is the cost of parking and that's nothing to do with the show organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I went along yesterday, and loved it!! Definitely thought it could have done with a lot more outdoor areas, especially a grassy spot for the dogs. It was pretty cramped, and I was really disappointed at the lack of freebies.

I didn't bring my own girl as she would have freaked at the crowds, but we did have my friend's puppy, Molly, with us.

Andrea, your rotties are gorgeous!! :D I made eye contact with your male and he just reacted like I was a long lost friend and sat on my feet, leaning his whole body in for a hug and lots of pets! They really are a credit to you :)

TillyGirl, I did meet a staffie called Lexi who had been rescued from Ashtown/EGAR- wondering if she was your girl? It was during the musical chairs demo by DTI, I had the little creamy coloured Tibetan Spaniel with me who kept trying to roll under the barrier. If she was your Lexi, she's an absolute dote! Gorgeous gorgeous little character!

Apart from the above dogs of course ( :D ) I think my favourites were the Miniature Bull Terrier, Xena and the Rhodesian Ridgeback, Penny. I've never met a Mini Bull Terrier before, and Xena just won me over to the breed- she had the nicest eyes and her owner was a lovely woman. It was easy to see that they live in each other's pockets! Penny had the calmest, gentlest face, and was happy out to let me pet her for ages. Always had a soft spot for ridgebacks, but this was my first time spending a bit of time with one.

The meerkats were gas- Molly was a mixture of fascination/confusion/horror looking at them; had absolutely no idea what to make of them!!

All in all, it was a great day, and an invaluable socialization opportunity for lots of dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It was my first time at it and like above didnt get many freebies, but i thought it was a good day out. It was a bit cramped i thought and i didnt even see the cat section which im raging about. A map wouldve been good.

My favs were the German and Japanese Spitzs, absolutely beautiful dogs.The Hungarian Vizlas were stunning also.

Disappointed there werent many watering stations for the dogs (i brought my own) and i thought the birds and meerkats shouldve been away from the noise of the main stage.

I met the people i wanted to so was glad about that, overall i would definitely go again.

I have a vouchers for €10 off a 15kg bag of the Leader Range and €3 off a 2kg Redmills catfood (got a sample, cats dont like it). PM me if anyone wants them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

TillyGirl, I did meet a staffie called Lexi who had been rescued from Ashtown/EGAR- wondering if she was your girl? It was during the musical chairs demo by DTI, I had the little creamy coloured Tibetan Spaniel with me who kept trying to roll under the barrier. If she was your Lexi, she's an absolute dote! Gorgeous gorgeous little character!

Hi yes that was us! Aw thank you, she was very well behaved I was very proud of her :D The Tibetan is so gorgeous, had never met one before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I didn't get to take any doggies home which was hugely disappointing.:o
    The Mastiffs in particular were fantastic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Have sent you a PM Anniehoo!
    Glad you all enjoyed the show. I didn't make it in to it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh thanks guys :D

It was much busier today i have to say, place was mental for a while but Cooper was so well behaved, he was really loving all the attention. He was kissing babies in prams, licking little kids and giving lots of hugs and cuddles, he really was an ambassador for the breed. The more people that were petting him, it attracted more to come over and meet him, as you could see the reactions on parents faces when he was being so good around the kids, it was fantastic.

Flo was there too but she was more interested in looking for food and dogs, but she was so well behaved as well. But Cooper was def the man of the stand!!

Sorry i didnt get to meet everyone who came over, it was hard trying to get chatting to everyone so i apologise:o

This girl was my fav:
    311481_2509207052525_1323548852_2881772_1424748640_n.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

If it was busier then I am glad I didnt go on Sunday, in the breed village I really liked the Eurasian, even though it is a very new breed and some might consider it a designer breed it had its own charms, my son loved the Rottweilers, Akita s and pugs. I wont go next year but If I do I will leave my dog at home just incase. Hopefully things will go back to the way they were as last year I was very proud that Ireland could throw such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Up side, met lots of lovely people and their pooches. Our boy was greatly admired..of course. Would of liked to of brought one of our girls though but they wouldn't be able to cope with the crowds.
    Got a great deal on vet bed again. Found most of the stuff I was looking to pick up. Loved Puss n Boots. Irish rabbit clubs bunnies looked gorgeous, and although didn't have a place to hide all the rabbits looked very relaxed and content where they were. I couldn't find the Rotties in the breed village my brain was only working at half it's normal pace so might of passed by without realising.

Downside, too cramped, couldn't see any water bowls for our fella although we brought our own it tends to get warm after a while and he prefers fresh.
    Got no freebies :-( lets face it we all love a freebie. haribos don't really count although the young one was delighted with herself.

Not enough alternative housing for dogs ie examples of various kennels.
    There was an info. office but would of been nice to see more people on the floor when you need to ask something.
    Not enough seating unless you go by the loos and no signs for the pet expo on the motorway or nearby roads. Ok it's not that hard to find but we haven't driven that way in ages and have become a tad culchified. But with all the advertising it's had I would of expected a few signs on the N11.

The cat area looked sparse, cats were lovely but it was a bit empty looking not many things for cat owners to buy. Some seating up there would of been nice. Saying that I think it was a good idea to have the cats somewhere more quiet and they were very chilled but people who might come on their own couldn't view the cats if they had a dog so maybe next year there could be a couple of staff that you can 'park your dog' with while you pop upstairs for a gander.

I think last years layout was better, I can see why they had most of it indoors because the weather is so unpredictable but I don't mind braving the elements and it turned out to be a nice enough day on Sat.

Not sure if I want to go to the expense next year of travelling up etc. some years it's good some not.

Was very very very sad to see rabbits and guinea pigs being housed together in a small cage by one exhibitor! One reason why I'm thinking of not going next year.

I do think all in all as another poster said that we should be proud that Ireland can manage to hold a decent pet expo. so if they go back a bit like it was last year and also add some more exhibitors then next year will be so much better. I know stands can be expensive so perhaps even lowering the price of a stand but having more of them in a slightly larger space changing the layout would work better.

I felt the year before last the expo. did take a lot of what visitors said on board and improved it the year after, so hopefully it will get better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

andreac wrote: »
    Awh thanks guys :D

It was much busier today i have to say, place was mental for a while but Cooper was so well behaved, he was really loving all the attention. He was kissing babies in prams, licking little kids and giving lots of hugs and cuddles, he really was an ambassador for the breed. The more people that were petting him, it attracted more to come over and meet him, as you could see the reactions on parents faces when he was being so good around the kids, it was fantastic.

Flo was there too but she was more interested in looking for food and dogs, but she was so well behaved as well. But Cooper was def the man of the stand!!

Sorry i didnt get to meet everyone who came over, it was hard trying to get chatting to everyone so i apologise:o

I gave your girl some rubs! She was my favourite :D Thanks for letting us meet her!
    All the dogs were so chilled it was amazing. Met lots of lovely owner and animals i'd never seen in real life before. Still can't get over the size of the Mastiffs! No freebies tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Was at the expo today my chap been snoring his head off since we left!! It's great for the dogs who enjoy being out and about! Dropped my little one into my mam for the day she hates crowds but my big lad just loves it!! He was so well behaved and got loads of pets and kisses! Like andreac I'm always so proud of my chap when people are shocked at how friendly and chilled he is! He puts the vicious dobie generalisations to shame! Agree wasn't as good as last year at all was hoping to get turtle some new gear for his tank but couldn't find any aquatic pet stuff!! Also found majority of stuff being sold wouldn't fit my chaps left ear so didn't think there was as good a selection for the biggies!! Still though great day for him and breed village was good loved the vizlas!!

cjf wrote: »
    Like andreac I'm always so proud of my chap when people are shocked at how friendly and chilled he is!
    +1

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cjf, your dobe was a beauty, and so well behaved too, great to see the big dogs behaving so well in all the crowds. Nice to meet you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Pet expo. was a first for me. Andreac, your dogs are a credit to you. Met cooper, was the most lovable dog leaning against me for lots of rubs. Great to see such a variety of breeds that I've only seen on tv. Got a couple of small freebie dog treats.

Reading what people have said about last year compared to this year I do think it could have been bigger. Will definately go again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We had a nice day out and it was great to meet you finally Andrea:)

It was a shame that the shop stalls were not as good as last year, but the breed stalls were better this year I thought.

Def missed not getting much in the way of freebies, but Ghost had a great day and was wrecked all weekend:D He made so many new friends, except for the eagle, it flapped its wings and Ghost nearly died:rolleyes:

Hopefully the RDS lower their price next year for stalls and stop losing traders for the Horse Show and Pet Expo

expo.jpg

expo2.jpg

shar.jpg

kook.jpg

eagle.jpg

cooper2.jpg

chinchilla.jpg

sharpei.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭John32c

"2nd time I have been there and very dissapointed this time around....
    I didnt see one cat...was there any?
    I didnt see a DSPCA stand...very strange if there wasnt one???
    Food area too small and no where indoors you could sit down and have a coffee and a sandwich...very limited seating outdoors
    No Freebies either....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The Cat place was upstairs as far as I know.

I thought it was okay but was working on a stall so didn't really get a chance to look around much. Only we were there courtesy of the Facebook competition for rescues we would never have been able to afford a stand.

The one problem I did have was that they had the Adoption Area right beside the stage and the music was so loud that it a)freaked out the dogs and b)made it extremely difficult to talk to people that visited the stand, I'm hoarse from shouting!

Good to meet you Andrea, your dogs looked fabulous!

hehehe I was asked was my guy up for adoption (we were beside Neville and my eejit jumped up - another one of his friends from DTI to slobber on:rolleyes:) "Here take him" I said :D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Neville was ours, I must have been manning the stall so missed you! :)

Neville did so well all weekend, he did both days! He's only been in his foster home for a week before that he was in kennels so must have been a shock to the system but he was a little trooper and got cuddles from everyone! :)

Yeah he was brilliant - very relaxed and took it all in his stride!!! My guy was a bit stressed with it all but he`s a scaredy pants so I was expecting it!! He settled into it after a while and got used to people just coming over and petting him but really he just wanted to stare into the DTI area wagging his tail looking for pets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

andreac wrote: »
    Cjf, your dobe was a beauty, and so well behaved too, great to see the big dogs behaving so well in all the crowds. Nice to meet you too :)

Your guys were fab too!! Something bout the little brown eyebrows gets me everytime!!! Yea my chaps mission in lIfe seems to be to make a liar of me!! He's a street angel house devil!! All very chilled and collected and mannerly and polite when we out and then a nosey clumsy clown at home!! People always comment how calm and well behaved he is but always have to remind them of the 7 stone toddler side of him too!!! He did great though and is just such a soft love bug ... My little boy haha biased much!!! Great to meet u too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

With regards to the cats, i am actually not surprised that others missed out on seeing the cats. I almost nearly missed it myself, if the sign hadn't of caught my eye as i passed by the stairs, but was thinking beforehand as i was walking around why are there no cats? I also believe that given that they had the bit of space for it upstairs that the shelters could have done the same as what they were doing with the dogs and brought a couple of cats that were in need of new homes too. Every little bit of awareness helps when you think about it.

Hope that goat was okay! Poor little thing :(. Am just glad i didn't witness that as i would have nearly died had that of happened in front of me.

Andrea, i never spoke to you before, but i do remember passing by you & your dogs, they are absolute beauts.
    Thats mad! How could you call a cockroach a pet.

I would consider myself quite tolerant of anything pet/animal related but cockroaches are a bit freaky even for me. It is mad alright that cockroaches are being considered as pets that's why i couldn't believe it when i saw them on display next to the stick insects and giant milipedes. Even started getting paranoid standing looking at them that i was going to look around & find something on my shoulder or something :D

Overall, again as this was my first time to go to this i can't really compare it to any other years as the others have commented on, but was really interesting to finally experience what i have read on this over the years. Loved seeing all the dogs having a ball with their owners enjoying the experience. Was good to have a chat with the ladies at the Kerry Greyhound stand and the Donkey Sanctuary as i'm familiar with their work and the cases they have dealt with & the breeding village was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Disappointing, compared to last year. It was way way too cramped and there wasn't enough to do/see. I may have missed a few stalls at the back right because it was just so crowded we couldn't get through there.

Went on Sunday with my Sibe, loved meeting all the breeds though

Advertisement