Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Man, it's all coming together! Here's what we got so.

8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €103.01
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €147.49
    Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius Silver/Black no PSU €57.11
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €98.69
    Total Desktop Cost €632.77
    S&H €30
    with Asus VS228H monitor an extra €132.59
    Total overall cost €795.36

Not even close to €600... :o

Use my own HDD (1xIDE, 2xSATA),
    PSU (Termaltake TR2-470)
    Ext. DVD-writer
    Speakers
    Keyboard & Mouse

Will i need any cables?
    RAM connects to Motherboard
    Motherboard attaches to case
    Processor connects to Motherboard
    Graphics card to motherboard
    Case is....the case
    RAM to case.
    Monitor to Grapihcs card via HDMI

(Sorry for spelling this out, it's for my sake or if u spot something huge) The rest have their own cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Man, it's all coming together! Here's what we got so.

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €103.01
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €195.88
    Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius Silver/Black no PSU €57.11
    Total Desktop Cost €632.77
    S&H €30
    with Asus VS228H monitor an extra €132.59
    Total overall cost €795.36
    Not even close to €600... :o

Use my own HDD (1xIDE, 2xSATA),
    PSU (Termaltake TR2-470)
    Ext. DVD-writer
    Speakers
    Keyboard & Mouse

Will i need any cables?
    RAM connects to Motherboard
    Motherboard attaches to case
    Processor connects to Motherboard
    Graphics card to motherboard
    Case is....the case
    RAM to case.
    Monitor to Grapihcs card via HDMI

(Sorry for spelling this out, it's for my sake or if u spot something huge) The rest have their own cables.
    You may need an IDE-Sata converter. I have that same motherboard and there aren't any IDE ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Swap these in for CPU and motherboard. With such a tight budget, and only a 6870, there's really no point in going for a 2500K.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €249.55 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€168.98
    ASRock P67 Pro3 SE (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€80.57

Saves you €50.

You could also sub the case for this. Would save you another €30 (and it's just as good performance-wise too).

What's the point in getting a P67 and then getting a locked CPU? He could just drop down to a H61 and save a bit more money.

*shrug* I just picked a full ATX board, wasn't really looking at chipset. My bad.

• Advertisement

Cheers party, that's good to know. I might leave the IDE in my current PC so. My sis or someone might want it.

Thanks Serephucus, is there much difference with the 2500k and 2400k processors? Would the saved €50 be of use somewhere else (staying with the same budget?)

I really like the saggitarius case rather than it's performance so i gotta keep it :o

edit : wait, should i stick with the 2500/Z68 combo?

An i5-2400 (Note the lack of a K) is a locked CPU. Effectively, with Sandybridge CPUs the only way you can overclock is if you have a P67/Z68 (Perhaps a H67...) motherboard and an unlocked CPU such as the i5-2500k.

If you don't want to overclock, get a locked CPU such as the i5-2400 and a H61. If you want to overclock, get a P67/Z68 and an i5-2500K.

BTW, when I refer to "locked" I mean locked multiplier. In the past, most CPUs had locked multipliers (Saving for €1000+ super CPUs) and overclocking used to be done primarily through tweaking the FSB (Either through the BIOS or a pinmod).

Nowadays, it's gotten trivially easy. You just change the multiplier and you're done.

That's very helpful man. Yeah i'd like to try overclocking. Besides ports connecting internal HDDs and USB ports, is there much difference between the P67 and Z68? There's about €22 difference.

Like is the graphics "Intel HD Graphics 3000" for people not buying a graphics card? I assume the HDMI port in my build will be unused?
    What's this Max Allocated RAM size (1759MB)?

About SSDs - do they come with a SATA cable? Are Crucial M4 the best ones? (it's just that 60GB isn't that much space after windows/office/my programs are installed - or should only games be installed to that drive?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

That's very helpful man. Yeah i'd like to try overclocking. Besides ports connecting internal HDDs and USB ports, is there much difference between the P67 and Z68? There's about €22 difference.

Like is the graphics "Intel HD Graphics 3000" for people not buying a graphics card? I assume the HDMI port in my build will be unused?
    What's this Max Allocated RAM size (1759MB)?

About SSDs - do they come with a SATA cable? Are Crucial M4 the best ones? (it's just that 60GB isn't that much space after windows/office/my programs are installed - or should only games be installed to that drive?)
    If I were you I'd still buy a z68/ p67 board, which would alow you to upgrade to a new unlocked cpu (ivy?) later on in the year so you'd have a nice machine.

The intel HD 3000 graphics are just used for people who don't game or need a discrete graphics card. As far as integrated graphics go, its fairly good. Means nothing though as you're using the 6870. I wouldn't worry about max allocated RAM size, it doesn't look too important (i haven't got a clue :D).

Crucial M4 aren't the fastest, but are the top choice because of their stability and reliability. Windows and the most used programs (Photoshop, browser etc) should be installed onto the SSD, it wouldn't make much difference while gaming. When you're installing windows, BTW, you should remember to unplug all hard drives except the SSD so everything installs on the SSD, a mate of mine didn't and as a result his boots up slightly slower but still you'd want as much speed as you can get, why else are you getting an SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Would this not be a better SSD? It is a decent amount faster, And not that much more expensive.

Samsung: 520 MBps (read) / 160 MBps (write)
    Crucial: 415 MBps (read) / 95 MBps (write)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that mate. Would there be much difference gaming/video editing between a regular internal SATA drive and the SSD? I heard it was quite noticeable.

If you guys can vouch for the Samsung SSD, seems like a slam dunk! Whatever happens all in I can't go beyond €800; including free up €22 with the P67.

Thanks for that mate. Would there be much difference gaming/video editing between a regular internal SATA drive and the SSD? I heard it was quite noticeable.

If you guys can vouch for the Samsung SSD, seems like a slam dunk! Whatever happens all in I can't go beyond €800; including free up €22 with the P67.

Makes next to no difference while gaming, at least for the space that's needed. I've never used that Samsung drive, but all I know is that the M4 is brilliant, the new firmware updates have speeded up even further!

Total build cost: €654.54 + €30 shipping
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €84.65
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €103.42
    Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius silber/schwarz ohne Netzteil €57.11
    ASUS VS228H €132.59

I know it's a bit late for a whole build, but if you were to drop to an i3 while still keeping a p67 board, you could save some money now AND be able to upgrade to the ivybridge i5 2500k equivalent, and overclock that. The i3 is a good chip for it's price, great gaming performance, the difference between it and the i5 2500k is seen here, bear in mind nearly €100 difference.
    Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Would this not be a better SSD? It is a decent amount faster, And not that much more expensive.

Samsung: 520 MBps (read) / 160 MBps (write)
    Crucial: 415 MBps (read) / 95 MBps (write)

Crucial's read is up to 500MBps with recent firmware (and does better reads for sequential incompressible data). However, prices have been climbing up like mad over the past few months (probably increased demand due to hard drive shortage, people running away from Sandforce drives and Intel + Corsair buying up the Marvell controllers) so the Samsung looks like a good buy and has good reviews. Not the best everywhere but it certainly looks like a 'solid', reliable drive.

Eboggles wrote: »
    SSD Makes next to no difference while gaming, at least for the space that's needed. I've never used that Samsung drive, but all I know is that the M4 is brilliant, the new firmware updates have speeded up even further!

Woah! Then for that money i could get like a 1-1.5 TB internal SATA drive! What's the hubbub about SSDs? does it make video rendering faster; like what's the point if they're not gonna make a performance difference?

Impressed with the i3 but i think i'd like to keep the i5 -- what could that equivalent if i overclock it?

Cheers for all the help :)

While Eboggles is right, his comment was sort of misleading.

SSDs will only really speed up loading times in games, so they don't do much. Where they are very effective, is boot and shutdown time (probably about 20 second boot up, give or take), as well as much faster application opening, and general snappyness. That's why most people put their browsers, media players, editors, etc. on the SSD. Basically all of their non-game apps.

I personally find it wonderful to have Chrome launch instantly after clicking its shortcut, rather than waiting a second or two like normal. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a huge difference; it just makes your computer feel like it's a lot more responsive, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Hey jaykhunter
    My son just got the raidmax case with his build for Christmas. I wanted to get him something a bIt flashy instead Of plain black. Was really surprised when it arrived, wasn't expecting it to be as nice, It reminds me of a transformer, he has a transformer wallpaper on his monitor and it looks cool!
    If you want I could post a few detailed pics of it to help you decide.
    Let me know.

Serephucus - Cool, i'll stick with the SSD so. It sounds awesome. Plus having applications opening when I click them would be wonderful; as opposed to waiting 15 seconds for iTunes to open. 60GB isn't that much space - after installing windows 7 and the programs it'd probably be about 40 GB.

eBoggles suggested a slightly different mobo -- the ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX; as opposed to the ASRock P67 Pro3 SE (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX . They look identical but the SE is a few quid cheaper; the only difference i can find is the SE says "Compliant Standards - High Definition Audio" as well. You guys have any preferences one way or the other?

Greenheart - ha, sounds good. Always wanted a flashy case. Sure post some links to pics if u have 'em :pac:

The SE gives you Crossfire support, where the non-SE gives you more PCI/PCIe-x1 slots.

But the second PCI-E slot only runs at x4 - i.e., much less bandwidth for your cards, so not a great choice for crossfire. This will affect limit higher end cards more. Also the non-SE has an eSATA port which is useful for external hard drives.

• Advertisement

looking up CrossFire it sounds like it's important when it comes to gaming. So stick with the ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX?

Is that optimal for the price? Under hardware feats it says "AMD CrossFireX technology support, AMD Quad CrossFireX technology support, AMD 3-way CrossFireX technology support".

Edit : Sorry to swerve this a little, but Win 7 Pro 64 bit is what i'm looking for, right? and where would i get this cheapest? (I assume paypal/downloading is cheapest?) Is this 86 bit for Windows 8, is the computer i'm building now able for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

looking up CrossFire it sounds like it's important when it comes to gaming. So stick with the ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX?

Is that optimal for the price? Under hardware feats it says "AMD CrossFireX technology support, AMD Quad CrossFireX technology support, AMD 3-way CrossFireX technology support".

Don't know if having it important, but it's nice to have it.

By the time good single gpu gets outdated, you will have new gen Gpus, which will perform better then old on in crossfire or sli.

Why is it good to have? Well you can come up same gpu on adverts it donedeal.ie. damn, there can be even sale on particular gpu you got. So having extra horse power if you will come by good deal is great. I think it's well worth 10eu extra just to have that option open.

Edit : Sorry to swerve this a little, but Win 7 Pro 64 bit is what i'm looking for, right? and where would i get this cheapest? (I assume paypal/downloading is cheapest?) Is this 86 bit for Windows 8, is the computer i'm building now able for that?

Yes, 64-bit Windows 7. The cheapest place is to get it as a student from software4students.ie or likewise. You can do this as a student or have kids going to school.
    If this doesn't apply, it's usually a few euro cheaper for the German version on hardwareversand, if you are buying from there. You can use the German key that you get if you have an English disc (or you can download the disc too and use the key that you buy, I can route out some links or you can search the forums).

x86 refers to the architecture of current desktop processors (as opposed to phones and other devices).
    If you see x86-64 in a filename or elsewhere, it's 64-bit for the x86 architecture. If you see x86 on it's own, it's usually a 32-bit application.
    You'd want the 64-bit windows which has a few differences but probably most important is the ability to use over 4GB of memory. Yes, this will be compatible with 64-bit windows 8.

The windows 32-bit and 64-bit version have the same license keys, by the way.

Hey guys, I'll be ordering this tomorrow, is there any last minute problems/suggestions u have?

Total overall cost €792.36
    Total Desktop Cost €629.77 + S&H €30
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €32.32
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €99.95
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €197.91
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €149.64
    Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius Silver/Black no PSU €56.96
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €92.99
    Asus VS228H monitor €132.59

Woah, almost all of the components have slightly changed price! All in it was €3 cheaper!

Use my own HDD (2xSATA) [i'll leave the IDE in my old computer]
    PSU (Termaltake TR2-470)
    Ext. DVD-writer
    Speakers
    Keyboard & Mouse

Will i need to buy any cables? Like does the SSD come with a cable or do i need to buy it separately? I have €7 to spend lol. Also, do i need any tools to build this PC? I have a screwdriver, lol. I was hoping it was actually quite simple (open, attach components/cables, turn on)

Also, is Windows 7 the best system for stability/gaming? Or should i be keeping WinXP?

Thanks guys :)

Hey guys, I'll be ordering this tomorrow, is there any last minute problems/suggestions u have?

Total overall cost €792.36
    Total Desktop Cost €629.77 + S&H €30
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €32.32
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX €99.95
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €197.91
    Sapphire HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI-I+SL-DVI-D / HDMI / DP €149.64
    Raidmax Midi-Tower Sagittarius Silver/Black no PSU €56.96
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €92.99
    Asus VS228H monitor €132.59

Woah, almost all of the components have slightly changed price! All in it was €3 cheaper!

Use my own HDD (2xSATA) [i'll leave the IDE in my old computer]
    PSU (Termaltake TR2-470)
    Ext. DVD-writer
    Speakers
    Keyboard & Mouse

Will i need to buy any cables? Like does the SSD come with a cable or do i need to buy it separately? I have €7 to spend lol. Also, do i need any tools to build this PC? I have a screwdriver, lol. I was hoping it was actually quite simple (open, attach components/cables, turn on)

Also, is Windows 7 the best system for stability/gaming? Or should i be keeping WinXP?

Thanks guys :)
    get an extra SATA cable. its always handy as only jesus knows how many will come with mobo.

you might need a screwdriver, you wont need thermal paste as you are not getting third party cpu cooler.

Cheers mate. Is there a particular sata cables best used for the SSD, like the fastest data rate one?

satacablesgif.gif

Do i need an anti-static shield or something crazy like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Actually, if you're getting the 2500K, an aftermarket cooler will allow you to overclock it more safely/quietly.

Something like the artic cooling freezer pro?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49255&agid=669

It puts you a little over budget though...

Cheers mate. Is there a particular sata cables best used for the SSD, like the fastest data rate one?

satacablesgif.gif

Do i need an anti-static shield or something crazy like that?

i dont think there is any difference at all m8, if they cheap, then get a few. one thing to consider: do you need the under angle or not. my mobo has connection going up, so if i take just strait sata connectors then they get in a way of GPUs.

so some mobos got sata connection going under angle already,

Windows 7 is fine with games and it's a very stable OS. In fact, you'd be losing out on directX 10 & 11 games if you stuck with XP. Worse again is that XP isn't SSD friendly.

Get 7 if you can afford it.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Windows 7 is fine with games and it's a very stable OS. In fact, you'd be losing out on directX 10 & 11 games if you stuck with XP. Worse again is that XP isn't SSD friendly.

Get 7 if you can afford it.

+1 on win 7.

lovely and stable OS and if you are a gamer, then you dont hava much choice lol :p

Advertisement