Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some cyclist giving cyclists bad name

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    i hate everyone

I'm with Lenny, burn them all (let God sort them out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

<grammarnazi>

Whatever about the cyclist, about which we can do little - would some spell-checking and grammar checking be out of the question? It gives me a headache - if your opinion is good enough to share with hundreds, thousands or millions (boards for ever!), surely you could take the trouble to spellcheck?

</grammarnazi>

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

brownian wrote: »
    <grammarnazi>

Whatever about the cyclist, about which we can do little - would some spell-checking and grammar checking be out of the question? It gives me a headache - if your opinion is good enough to share with hundreds, thousands or millions (boards for ever!), surely you could take the trouble to spellcheck?

</grammarnazi>

Ye....if it's Dublin you say,
    "I see'd a cyclist"
    "I meself is a cyclist"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

Obligatory Canyon reference.

https://www.canyon.com/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

me neighbour has a lamb. I live in a housing estate. I f**kin hate the noisy little b*****d.

Sounds like a baaad neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

While it's certainly true that no one person on a bike is representative of all cyclists, it's also true that the bad impression/image sticks. Take shiny tracksuits, they used to be just an item of clothing of questionable taste until they became synonymous with a particular social group. Or the humble hoody, which used to be as cool boring as the cardigan and now the sight of one being worn strikes fear into the heart of many.

Mind you, you could drive a car through red lights daily, drive on footpaths, type an essay on your phone while driving, etc., and the result would likely not be that all drivers are labelled as arses. I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

brownian wrote: »
    <grammarnazi>

</grammarnazi>

You're giving the boards cycling forum a bad name with that carp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to add a bit of balance to this debate I would like to declare my love for lenny....
    get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

me neighbour has a lamb. I live in a housing estate. I f**kin hate the noisy little b*****d.
    roasting tray, hot oven, some roast spuds & mint sauce.

noisy lamb sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

cjt156 wrote: »
    We know a song about that; don't we children?

Stevie!!!

Damnit. Thought that would be a Family Guy clip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

What really annoys me is cycling along a long road with many traffic lights. You overtake someone and then you get to a red light and the idiot goes right through and gets 500m ahead of you. Then you overtake again etc. It's the cycling equivalent of tax evasion - you work harder and obey all the rules, and some idiot comes out ahead of you by breaking the law, with no consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ye....if it's Dublin you say,
    "I see'd a cyclist"
    "I meself is a cyclist"

That's completely incorrect. It's I seen a cyclist.
    doozerie wrote: »
    Mind you, you could drive a car through red lights daily, drive on footpaths, type an essay on your phone while driving, etc., and the result would likely not be that all drivers are labelled as arses. I'm not sure why.

I saw a piece about this recently - as far as I remember, it said that seeing one cyclist as equivalent to all cyclists, while not seeing one driver as representative of all drivers, was a thoughtframe typical of prejudice.

You do see it about specific groups of drivers - for instance, women - typically called something like "yummy mummies" by the contemptuous teller - driving four-wheel drives; and men driving white vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Seeing as one of these is going on...

What's the story with lights lads (and lasses, actually more lasses I think). You'll wear a high vis but a €5 set of lights is out of the question?

I actually don't mind that so much but I saw (thankfully as I was driving) a guy in camouflage (FFS) with no lights on the dead of night about a week back - surely if he wanted to top himself something more pleasurable like smoking or heroin would be the answer?

Now I'd love to say this is the minority of idiots giving cyclists a bad name but it's easily >50%. But maybe I just notice them more when I'm cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I saw (thankfully as I was driving) a guy in camouflage (FFS)

Obviously wasn't very good camouflage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Seeing as one of these is going on...

What's the story with lights lads (and lasses, actually more lasses I think). You'll wear a high vis but a €5 set of lights is out of the question?
    I'd suggest a lot of blame for that actually rests with the RSA and AGS. Just look back to the first PR campaign around the new fines when high-vis was basically given more prominence than the legally required lights. Their message always seems to be (incorrectly, of course) that high-vis trumps lights.
    I actually don't mind that so much but I saw (thankfully as I was driving) a guy in camouflage (FFS) with no lights on the dead of night about a week back - surely if he wanted to top himself something more pleasurable like smoking or heroin would be the answer?

Now I'd love to say this is the minority of idiots giving cyclists a bad name but it's easily >50%. But maybe I just notice them more when I'm cycling.
    I'd say you may also notice them more as they stand out more/are more remarkable to you, as they differ from how you cycle. I'd even say myself that a I probably don't take note of the other cyclists around me who cycle predictably and within the laws unless I make a point of it, but the idiots stand out like sore thumbs, if just for the reaction they induce. The same goes while driving, I don't take note of/count the ok drivers, but the idiots are never as prevalent as they might seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cython wrote: »
    I'd suggest a lot of blame for that actually rests with the RSA and AGS. Just look back to the first PR campaign around the new fines when high-vis was basically given more prominence than the legally required lights...
    Indeed, a taxi driver referred to my lack of a 'vest' recently at traffic lights and (mis)informed me that I'm supposed to be wearing one. (I had lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Indeed, a taxi driver referred to my lack of a 'vest' recently at traffic lights and (mis)informed me that I'm supposed to be wearing one. (I had lights).

This seems to be standard fare for taxi drivers when a cyclist is not happy with their driving (eg passing and the just stopping for a fare or to let a fare out or worse....)

Given how frequent it's said, I have a hunch the taxi drivers federation or whatever has advised them to say it as a first line defence/disclaimer. The other one is "you were in my blind spot" when there should be no blind spot if you check properly. Again, both statements introduce doubt into what exactly happened and whether it was negligence or just 'unavoidable'

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    This seems to be standard fare for taxi drivers when a cyclist is not happy with their driving (eg passing and the just stopping for a fare or to let a fare out or worse....)

Given how frequent it's said, I have a hunch the taxi drivers federation or whatever has advised them to say it as a first line defence/disclaimer. The other one is "you were in my blind spot" when there should be no blind spot if you check properly. Again, both statements introduce doubt into what exactly happened and whether it was negligence or just 'unavoidable'
    There was no incident/altercation leading to the comment. He just pulled up alongside me at the lights and dropped the passenger window to enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There was no incident/altercation leading to the comment. He just pulled up alongside me at the lights and dropped the passenger window to enlighten me.

Ah cabbies. I think there's one group of road users we can make sweeping generalisations about safe in the knowledge they're all true. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Now that is unusual!! GUBU even. :D

I was just referring to instances when I heard the words ' hi vis ' emanating from a taxi driver!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What's the collective noun for cabblies? A Ushudbe of taximen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Just after the Garden of Remembrance and before the theatre taxi parked at the rear entrance to the hospital. Pulls out straight on front of me without indicating. I approach him at the traffic lights as it was near to being an accident, he replies with this classic;

"Im allowed pull out of there without indicating because of the traffic cones on front of me" !

Absolute simpleton of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race". He shut up when I reminded him that I beat him last time out. Isn't that right Midonagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race". He shut up when I reminded him that I beat him last time out. Isn't that right Midonagh.

You may have beaten him but
    I beat you last Sunday though .....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Fowl"er - now that's a really bad name ......

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had to get a taxi to make an appointment yesterday after work. Had the nicest taxi driver I can recall who was a keen cyclist and happy to talk about his bikes and the n-1 issue.

That said they're still all *%&&* :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I had a motorist shout at me to "stop eating those crisps otherwise you will never win a race".

What crisps should you eat to win a race?

What crisps should you eat to win a race?
    Tayto Wheelies. ;)

Tayto%20Wheelies_zps9r1erijj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Weepsie wrote: »
    I had to get a taxi to make an appointment yesterday after work. Had the nicest taxi driver I can recall who was a keen cyclist and happy to talk about his bikes and the n-1 issue.

That said they're still all *%&&* :/

Dublin? Hailo? Mountain biker primarily, with a road bike?

Pretty sure I've had the pleasure too. Was all going great until he saw someone on a BSO and it all kicked off.

It was a pretty entertaining Jekyll & Hyde scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I was driving into town yesterday and i see a cyclist who was basically been a nuisance on the road. I myself am a cyclist and obey the rules of the road and try not to annoy or get in the way of drivers, but when i seen this lad, he is the reason people hate cyclist. He was weaving in and out of traffic, and ran through several red lights. not a care in the world. There was one point where he was in the very left lane and swerved right across 2 lanes of traffic (All lanes stopped at red light) went through a red to turn right into town, where the traffic coming out of town was green so any car coming would have had to slam on if they seen him.

Just curious - when you hear of motorists killing or maiming others on the road, do those motorists give ALL motorists a bad name?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/female-pedestrian-killed-in-road-traffic-accident-in-dublin-1.2394895
    Trond wrote: »
    Can we all agree the cyclists that wear f*cking Beats Headphones are absolute ball bags?

They still hear more about what's going on that motorists with their windows up, even with no radio/music playing in the car.

Advertisement