Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

9 days. Mustang launch in Europe

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Beside a lake, just in case they need to jump?

Individuals choice I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Not that I can afford one, but I am loving this news. Would this mean then, that an individual could order a custom model from the USA in RHD, rather than just go with irish poverty spec? Would probably work out the same price for a better yoke too. I would happily go to the land of the free to place my order if:

*I could afford it.
    *It was possible to get the RHD custom
    *Enda wasn't waiting at the docks with a bucket of KY Jelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

"will never" implies in the future.
    Not many people can order a 2014 m5 either, doesn't mean they will not own one in 5-10 years?
    Can't order a second hand one now.

Its not really in my mind when I'm buying a new car to worry about a potential future owner tbh.

I'll buy what suits me, and a V8 will suit very few people in the UK or Ireland. The 2.3 Ecoboost engine will be more than enough for 90% of Mustang customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As a yank tank fan that's had a few V8's I'd be more upset about FWD Bimmers than 4-pot 'Stangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

goz83 wrote: »
    Not that I can afford one, but I am loving this news. Would this mean then, that an individual could order a custom model from the USA in RHD, rather than just go with irish poverty spec? Would probably work out the same price for a better yoke too. I would happily go to the land of the free to place my order if:

*I could afford it.
    *It was possible to get the RHD custom
    *Enda wasn't waiting at the docks with a bucket of KY Jelly

I would doubt you can order a RHD model in the US for export, no more than you can order a RHD Mercedes S-Class in the US for Export.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I would doubt you can order a RHD model in the US for export, no more than you can order a RHD Mercedes S-Class in the US for Export.

Even if you could by the time you've factored in shipping, customs duty, VAT and VRT any advantage you might have had will have been eroded and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Big Nasty wrote: »
    As a yank tank fan that's had a few V8's I'd be more upset about FWD Bimmers than 4-pot 'Stangs.

Yeah but it'd be like bmw offering an m5, one with the 4.4 v8 and the other with a 1.6 t.

It's such an iconic car and I'd hate to be the chap who tries to impress car enthusiasts with his wrong engined mustang.

Yeah but it'd be like bmw offering an m5, one with the 4.4 v8 and the other with a 1.6 t.

It's such an iconic car and I'd hate to be the chap who tries to impress car enthusiasts with his wrong engined mustang.

Cars evolve.

Who'd have thought a 3 cylinder 1.0T Ecoboost engine could power a Mondeo, or Focus, or a Fiesta?

Who'd have predicted that Jag would offer fwd, or Porsche a diesel?

I'd argue that 305bhp is plenty, and that it's the right engine for Europe where fuel economy and emmissions are a greater consideration, but where performance is still key.

The V8 belongs in the USA where it's relatively cheap, and where fuel consumption is relatively unimportant.

The V6 is the odd one out. I can't see where that fits in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I wonder how many people complaining about the eco engine will put there money where their mouth is and buy a V8 first hand. Or will they all be waiting in the second hand market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Days 298 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people complaining about the eco engine will put there money where their mouth is and buy a V8 first hand. Or will they all be waiting in the second hand market.

Duuuuuuude, can't be saying that about our wannabe American motor enthusiast friends :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not at all. You have BMW 5 series which is available in numerous different engine types and you have the M5.

Similarly you have the Mustang and the Shelby Mustang. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Cars evolve.

Who'd have thought a 3 cylinder 1.0T Ecoboost engine could power a Mondeo, or Focus, or a Fiesta?

Who'd have predicted that Jag would offer fwd, or Porsche a diesel?

I'd argue that 305bhp is plenty, and that it's the right engine for Europe where fuel economy and emmissions are a greater consideration, but where performance is still key.

The V8 belongs in the USA where it's relatively cheap, and where fuel consumption is relatively unimportant.

The V6 is the odd one out. I can't see where that fits in at all.
    The v6 is the US attempt at an "economic" model.

The v6 is the US attempt at an "economic" model.

Which might make some sense is the 2.3T Ecoboost (with identical power but increased frugality) wasn't available.

Yanks are just odd people though presumably. I wonder if MidlandsM has a cousin over there too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its not much different to Subaru offering a 1.6 Impreza really. A bit pointless perhaps, but each to their own.

Which might make some sense is the 2.3T Ecoboost (with identical power but increased frugality) wasn't available.

Yanks are just odd people though presumably. I wonder if MidlandsM has a cousin over there too? ;)

In the states, an economy model is expected to do about 30 mpg and by and large to run on petrol. Over here, we'd want nearly double that and to be run on diesel.

In fairness though, if I could buy gas at $3 a gallon I don't think I would be bothered about economy/mpg either, it would be the fact that the v6 I had just bought would be matched for power by a more economical (albeit FI) 4pot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Love it. Would hope to see them sold in some numbers over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The 2.3 ecoboost makes 5hp more than the outgoing modular V8. The essence of a muscle car is to have a high power output in a light (or what the americans thought was!) car for very little money. The best way to do this back in the day was with a V8. Because of this, the V8 became part of the muscle car. However, today the most powerful, light and cheap to produce engines are small displacement with turbos. IMO the new mustang is still pure to the muscle car as it's a cheap car with big power, but, peoples perception of what makes a muscle car has changed and they mow think it has to have a V8.

Well rightly or wrongly, the v8 burble has become part of the muscle car scene.
    As much as 1/4 mile times.

But money talks it seems! As the eco car & muscle car fusion that is the ecoboost mustang will sell many more than the v8.

Much like the 80's 'stangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Well rightly or wrongly, the v8 burble has become part of the muscle car scene.
    As much as 1/4 mile times.

But money talks it seems! As the eco car & muscle car fusion that is the ecoboost mustang will sell many more than the v8.

Much like the 80's 'stangs.

Don't get me wrong, I clearly enjoy a V8 soundtrack over a 4 pot but muscle cars are about going fast for little money. Or at least that is what it started as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Sorry but the last mustang was bollocks. I drove one while I was in the states last year for bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sorry but the last mustang was bollocks. I drove one while I was in the states last year for bit.

That doesn't mean this one is ;) or take away from the fact that it's great to see another performance car being sold over here and one that may be somewhat affordable for the average joe, especially second hand when running cost shouldn't be astronomical.

It may be no V8 but over 300bhp is not to be scoffed at. Looking forward to hearing how it drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd hate to be the chap who tries to impress car enthusiasts with his wrong engined mustang.

I'd hate to be the chap who tries to impress car enthususiasts.

Full stop.

That doesn't mean this one is ;) or take away from the fact that it's great to see another performance car being sold over here and one that may be somewhat affordable for the average joe, especially second hand when running cost shouldn't be astronomical.

It may be no V8 but over 300bhp is not to be scoffed at. Looking forward to hearing how it drives.

Sure it could be OK. But doubt it'll be any better than anything already available.

Never got the whole pining over american bollocks. Americans don't even give a **** about there own domestics, not sure why we should either.

Sure it could be OK. But doubt it'll be any better than anything already available.

Never got the whole pining over american bollocks. Americans don't even give a **** about there own domestics, not sure why we should either.

It's nothing to do with it being American for a lot of people it's about there being another performance car readily available on the Irish market that can never be a bad thing.

Much happier seeing this being released than another innovating blue motion economical car.

Also there's not to many car's on our roads producing that kind of performance.

It's nothing to do with it being American for a lot of people it's about there being another performance car readily available on the Irish market that can never be a bad thing.

Much happier seeing this being released than another innovating blue motion economical car.

Also there's not to many car's on our roads producing that kind of performance.

GS450h. See them all the time. 340BHP. You have to be a bit of a 'Colin' to drive one, but still, tasty car.

GS450h. See them all the time. 340BHP. You have to be a bit of a 'Colin' to drive one, but still, tasty car.

What???? A GS450h is not comparable to RWD coupe performance car in anyway shape or form.

Secondly there's not lots of them around or are they are very affordable running costs compared to what a 2.3 ecoboost engine could be.

What???? A GS450h is not comparable to RWD coupe performance car in anyway shape or form.

Secondly there's not lots of them around or are they are very affordable running costs compared to what a 2.3 ecoboost engine could be.

450H is RWD. Can be got for 10k these days.

:pac:

450H is RWD. Can be got for 10k these days.

Bangs head against wall.

a 450h is a luxury car a lovely car at that but comparing a 450h to a Mustang is like chalk and cheese.

Yes they can be got for 10k I said affordable running costs how many people in Ireland do you know who wouldn't be terrified of taxing and running costs of a 450h? There is a reason luxobarges drop in value so much people in Ireland are generally terrified of the thought of owning something like that.

A 2.3 would be a far less scarier and much more manageable prospect in the minds of a lot of Irish motorists.

Bangs head against wall.

a 450h is a luxury car a lovely car at that but comparing a 450h to a Mustang is like chalk and cheese.

Yes they can be got for 10k I said affordable running costs how many people in Ireland do you know who wouldn't be terrified of taxing and running costs of a 450h? There is a reason luxobarges drop in value so much people in Ireland are generally terrified of the thought of owning something like that.

A 2.3 would be a far less scarier and much more manageable prospect in the minds of a lot of Irish motorists.

I know it's a chalk and cheeser.

Current 450h is €225 to tax. Supposed to be a smart handler too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Current 450h is €225 to tax. Supposed to be a smart handler too.

It's no Massey Ferguson, though.

Advertisement