Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

young dieters

Options
  • 10-08-2013 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I know there is probably a copious amount of threads about this, but I am so annoyed with my body. I am an 18 year old girl so of course I have body issues but I have been trying and getting nowhere. I did my leaving cert this year so i put on about a stone of "leaving cert weight" and am now a size 12. My metabolism must be terrible because since June 12th I have been living on a diet of water chicken and fruit and veg. I take walks daily, swim twice a week and do core work every day. It is very disheartening to not have lost a single pound?!

So rant over, but my question is if there is any good metabolism boosters that you think would help?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dont take artificial metabolism boosters.

If you post here what you've been eating, you may get advice on things that could help. Also, if your exercise is not strenuous, it may not have much of an effect on your weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Oryx wrote: »
    Dont take artificial metabolism boosters.

If you post here what you've been eating, you may get advice on things that could help. Also, if your exercise is not strenuous, it may not have much of an effect on your weight.

To be honest I could be doing more exercise. I don't want to go down the whole aerobic class route and am waiting for college in september to join a gym. What would you recommend that would be more strenuous?

This is what I usually eat from Monday until Friday as I think its easier to stay healthy during the week.

For breakfast usually I have a pint of water with ice and if I remember a squeeze of lemon and special k with skimmed milk with a banana or a wedge of a melon.

For lunch it is usually tomato soup or a pitta(white,should probably be wholemeal?) with half a chicken fillet, some lettuce,red onion and chilli mayo.

Dinner is whatever mam is making so being honest I wouldn't know what the calories are. Could be anything from lasagne to roast chicken. I do tend to stay away from chips and frozen things like that and my portion sizes are smaller than that of my family.

I don't really like chocolate and things so I wouldn't be a big snacker. Around 9pm I might have a crunchy nature valley bar with my tea.

I use My Fitness Pal app every day and my recommended calorie intake is 1200 cals I usually am in and around that number, so I don't know if it is too much carbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

oncex wrote: »
    To be honest I could be doing more exercise. I don't want to go down the whole aerobic class route and am waiting for college in september to join a gym. What would you recommend that would be more strenuous?

This is what I usually eat from Monday until Friday as I think its easier to stay healthy during the week.

For breakfast usually I have a pint of water with ice and if I remember a squeeze of lemon and special k with skimmed milk with a banana or a wedge of a melon.

For lunch it is usually tomato soup or a pitta(white,should probably be wholemeal?) with half a chicken fillet, some lettuce,red onion and chilli mayo.

Dinner is whatever mam is making so being honest I wouldn't know what the calories are. Could be anything from lasagne to roast chicken. I do tend to stay away from chips and frozen things like that and my portion sizes are smaller than that of my family.

I don't really like chocolate and things so I wouldn't be a big snacker. Around 9pm I might have a crunchy nature valley bar with my tea.

I use My Fitness Pal app every day and my recommended calorie intake is 1200 cals I usually am in and around that number, so I don't know if it is too much carbs?

Try eggs for breakfast with no bread. Just eggs and piece of fish/turkey bacon. Special K has as much calories as normal breakfast cereals with little nutritional value(are you weighting your amount in the bowl?). Also fruit can spike blood sugars making you hunger quicker.

You shouldnt eat white bread or any bread really. Its not great for the body. Have you checked the sugar/calorie contents of the soup. It could be surprisingly high. Use balsamic vinegar with your salad. Mayo is pretty much 100% fat and full of calories.

You need to make sure your dinner isnt huge. Im from Dublin and my family in Sligo give me a small dinner which is still twice the size of my normal dinner. Avoid the potatoes but eat all the cabbage, peas and carrots you want.

NO nature valley bars. They not in anyway healthy. They are full of sugar (although they label it honey, check the nutritional guide on the box).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭da6xsi

What your missing is light weight workouts

Your muscles mass is probably very low

Working at light weights on both arms/legs with a good diet and youll notice the pounds fly off

The muscle mas you build doing small weights continues to burn fat and will help to give a slimmer appearance

Walking at 18 will not do much for you as your body is conditioned to walking everywhere anyway

Try work in a bit of light weights and youll be amazed at the differance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

your calories are very low, could you post your macros here too? I mean protein/carbs/fats? It looks like your diet is carbs based which is not good.

special k is nothing special apart that is an example of perfect marketing. Real food that's good for your doesn't need to be advertised. do you really enjoy that pint of ice water in the morning? it sounds like one of those urban myths - negative food stuff and similar nonsense.

also to build the muscle mass you need to lift heavy weights. I find it very funny seeing women lifting 2kg weights in the gym when their handbags weight 3x that. you have to challenge your body to make it change. walking is better than sitting on the coach and if you're enjoying it - keep doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

I would say first off be very careful, ur going to be going through a lot of changes and stress starting college, and in combination with watching ur weight it can be a dodgy area.

however u sound pretty clued in (dnt take the metabolism aids though). Like ppl were saying, eggs in the morning would b btr, 3-4 , sounds like a lot bt its doable. R even alternate that with porridge if its too much eggyness. Do u drink alcohol? If u do, theres the prob, cut that out and will c a diff. And again, as they said, heavy weights! I was the same at 18, 22 now and bck in the same boat post final yr in college. Ul gt there, but it will take time, we're talking 1-2lbs a week. If u lift weights u will often gt heavier but smaller in dress size, which is why I avoid weighing myself at all and just judge hw im doing by my clothes. I think in the long run thats a "safer" way of looking at it instead of gtting hooked on the scales.

Happy lifting :)

roseybear, good reply, just maybe cut out so much txspk. Thanks.

roseybear wrote: »
    I would say first off be very careful, ur going to be going through a lot of changes and stress starting college, and in combination with watching ur weight it can be a dodgy area.

however u sound pretty clued in (dnt take the metabolism aids though). Like ppl were saying, eggs in the morning would b btr, 3-4 , sounds like a lot bt its doable. R even alternate that with porridge if its too much eggyness. Do u drink alcohol? If u do, theres the prob, cut that out and will c a diff. And again, as they said, heavy weights! I was the same at 18, 22 now and bck in the same boat post final yr in college. Ul gt there, but it will take time, we're talking 1-2lbs a week. If u lift weights u will often gt heavier but smaller in dress size, which is why I avoid weighing myself at all and just judge hw im doing by my clothes. I think in the long run thats a "safer" way of looking at it instead of gtting hooked on the scales.

Happy lifting :)

Thanks everyone. Does it matter how i cook the eggs, perhaps 1 or 2 boiled eggs and porridge made with water? Ya i'd drink alcohol a lot lately and I think that could be a lot to do with it as with celebrating the leaving cert it is easy to binge on a Saturday night. I drink vodka instead of beer with white lemonade so I'm guessing the lemonade doesn't help things either.

In terms of weights, until I go to college(fingers crossed), all I have at home is light dumbbells is this okay? Any time I've been to the gym I have been advised not to use the weight machines?

Who is telling you not to use the machines? tho free weights are better once you learn good form.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In terms of weights, until I go to college(fingers crossed), all I have at home is light dumbbells is this okay? Any time I've been to the gym I have been advised not to use the weight machines?

I think the main thing with machines, is that they tend to work in an isolated manner for the muscle groups you are working. Where as with free weights, there's a lot more you need to concentrate on to support the work you are doing. Such as the form mentioned by Oryx above.

To be honest, there really isn't too much of an issue to use'em. If they were really that bad, gyms wouldn't have'em if no one was using'em.

• Advertisement

Ya i understand I think maybe it is because I was a young girl they thought I wouldn't be able to handle them. Thanks everyone for their help I'll definitely make some dietary changes as suggested and carry on my exercise but I'll get someone to help me in the college gym if I ever get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Body weight exercises are great for at home too.

Squats, lunges, burpees, push ups

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ya i understand I think maybe it is because I was a young girl they thought I wouldn't be able to handle them. Thanks everyone for their help I'll definitely make some dietary changes as suggested and carry on my exercise but I'll get someone to help me in the college gym if I ever get there.

Then get them to teach you how to use them - strength exercises combined with cardio are great for getting your body into a more pleasing shape - a lot better than cardio alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Try the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! Its on YouTube and its great cardio. I lost about 4 lbs in the first week after doing it 3 times. It's 20 minutes per session and theres 3 different levels but even level 1 is tough if you haven't done much exercise previously!

All you need is a yoga mat and some light dumbells/weights.

Papillon! wrote: »
    Try the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! Its on YouTube and its great cardio. I lost about 4 lbs in the first week after doing it 3 times. It's 20 minutes per session and theres 3 different levels but even level 1 is tough if you haven't done much exercise previously!

All you need is a yoga mat and some light dumbells/weights.

Its not meant to be just cardio, its cardio/strength/core. Its effective due to the strength and core work.

Its not meant to be just cardio, its cardio/strength/core. Its effective due to the strength and core work.

Exactly...just a recommendation:rolleyes:

Exactly...just a recommendation:rolleyes:

Yes, I can see where you recommended it. Can you see where I pointed out that its got strength and core work in it and the previous posts mentioning strength work? That's why i clarified what was in the program, no need to be a dick about it.

Yes, I can see where you recommended it. Can you see where I pointed out that its got strength and core work in it and the previous posts mentioning strength work? That's why i clarified what was in the program, no need to be a dick about it.

What the actual...? How am I being a d*ck?? I agreed with you?! Can't even post on a thread without someone jumping down your back.

What the actual...? How am I being a d*ck?? I agreed with you?! Can't even post on a thread without someone jumping down your back.

Don't use rolleyes then.

I should begin by stating that I am in no way qualified, in any capacity, in any area of health and/or fitness, but I'd recommend giving Intermittent fasting a go.

8 hour eating window, then fast for 16 hours. During those 16 hours, consume water, but no calories (black coffe, tea is fine). During the 8 hour window, eat your daily requirements. Eat some salmon/tuna, keep with the fruit and veg (more so the veg). Introduce some beans to your diet (black beans, kidney beans, Lima beans), and also some nuts (Almonds, cashew nuts, legumes). Minimize your carbs (pasta, bread, spuds). Eat plenty of healthy protein (keep scoffing the chicken), as mentioned previously, eat more seafood (if you like it), also eggs, milk, cheese, yoghurt and also protein shakes are great.

As much as possible go for your walks, swims, workouts, etc, before your eating window opens. Not everyone can workout while fasted, so figure out what suits you best.

You can have a 6 hour eating window and fast for 18 hours. You can have a 5 hour eating window and fast for 19 hours. You can use any variant, but 16 hours is the minimum time for fasting.

You can do this daily, as I do, or you can do it every second day, especially to begin with, until you familiarise yourself with the process.

• Advertisement

I should begin by stating that I am in no way qualified, in any capacity, in any area of health and/or fitness, but I'd recommend giving Intermittent fasting a go.

8 hour eating window, then fast for 16 hours. During those 16 hours, consume water, but no calories (black coffe, tea is fine). During the 8 hour window, eat your daily requirements. Eat some salmon/tuna, keep with the fruit and veg (more so the veg). Introduce some beans to your diet (black beans, kidney beans, Lima beans), and also some nuts (Almonds, cashew nuts, legumes). Minimize your carbs (pasta, bread, spuds). Eat plenty of healthy protein (keep scoffing the chicken), as mentioned previously, eat more seafood (if you like it), also eggs, milk, cheese, yoghurt and also protein shakes are great.

As much as possible go for your walks, swims, workouts, etc, before your eating window opens. Not everyone can workout while fasted, so figure out what suits you best.

You can have a 6 hour eating window and fast for 18 hours. You can have a 5 hour eating window and fast for 19 hours. You can use any variant, but 16 hours is the minimum time for fasting.

You can do this daily, as I do, or you can do it every second day, especially to begin with, until you familiarise yourself with the process.

And have you seen results? Its okay guys gonna have to carry on at home without weight machines as I wont be going to college this year :o so might try that youtube video, thanks!!

Sounds complex but IF is so simple.

Skip breakfast.

Eat at 12 or lunchtime.

Last food around 6 or so.

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brianwarren

HI Good Topic,

Just a point, Warm water is good for the body, Cold water is damaging. Got that from a health nut.

Swimming is a good exercise, but one can't beat running. I understand that Ireland is not the best place for Running in Parks at night, but even running on the spot for 30 mins a day ( building up ) would make a difference.

Your 17 is my 25. As they say in Spain " Cada persona es un Mundo", which translates into "Everyone is unique."
    It could be that you developed quickly, and that you are at your peak body size. For women it is different than men, so that makes sense.
    The things you have to make sure of after you reach your peak are;
    You have regular good toilet movements, it is the same with a child, but continues through our life, Could be every day, two days, but something regular.
    You maybe eat less times a day, or increase your exercise and eat smaller portions regularly.

The food part is important. If your body is taking in too much food, you system does not have time to process it, so it begins to store. In order to process the food exercise helps to push the food through our system, which means we process the food better and need more intake. If we eat too much, and keep to this routine, our energy is used up just trying to stay still, and strangely exercise helps to give us more energy. Complicated, no?

Every gym will advise you to eat at least 5 times a day. Crazy Stuff!!! If you are a gym instructor, or course, because you are processing and burning the the good stuff, and getting rid of the bad stuff regularly.
    If ones life is Car to Work, Breakfast, Desk all day, Lunch on the run, Car Home, TV, Dinner, Car to gym, and then 30 mins in the Gym, your body would be exhausted.
    If you removed the Breakfast and Dinner, and cleaned up the Lunch with Steak, Chicken or Fish, surrounded by fruit throughout the Day, your body would be much more receptive to loosing weight and exercise.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

HI Good Topic,

Just a point, Warm water is good for the body, Cold water is damaging. Got that from a health nut.

Swimming is a good exercise, but one can't beat running. I understand that Ireland is not the best place for Running in Parks at night, but even running on the spot for 30 mins a day ( building up ) would make a difference.

Your 17 is my 25. As they say in Spain " Cada persona es un Mundo", which translates into "Everyone is unique."
    It could be that you developed quickly, and that you are at your peak body size. For women it is different than men, so that makes sense.
    You have regular good toilet movements, it is the same with a child, but continues through our life, Could be every day, two days, but something regular.
    You maybe eat less times a day, or increase your exercise and eat smaller portions regularly.

The food part is important. If your body is taking in too much food, you system does not have time to process it, so it begins to store. In order to process the food exercise helps to push the food through our system, which means we process the food better and need more intake. If we eat too much, and keep to this routine, our energy is used up just trying to stay still, and strangely exercise helps to give us more energy. Complicated, no?

Every gym will advise you to eat at least 5 times a day. Crazy Stuff!!! If you are a gym instructor, or course, because you are processing and burning the the good stuff, and getting rid of the bad stuff regularly.
    If ones life is Car to Work, Breakfast, Desk all day, Lunch on the run, Car Home, TV, Dinner, Car to gym, and then 30 mins in the Gym, your body would be exhausted.
    If you removed the Breakfast and Dinner, and cleaned up the Lunch with Steak, Chicken or Fish, surrounded by fruit throughout the Day, your body would be much more receptive to loosing weight and exercise.

Best of luck

WHAT.................THE F*CK!

Not sure whether to be insulted or not haha thanks everyone, a lot of conflicted opinions but I will try to get my diet on track:)

I'm sorry. I have to bite....

Why?
    You can certainly beat running. Its good exercise, but only if you want to run. I you want muscles or 'tone', its not ideal. If you want flexibility, it wont help. Its good, but only increases fitness in a very particular way. Running on the spot for 30 minutes? Who the heck is going to do that?
    It could be that you developed quickly, and that you are at your peak body size.
    What does this even mean?

Eh.. yeah....constipation is never good. What does that have to do with increasing fitness or losing weight?
    Are you saying eat less, or more often or what?
    Needlessly complicated. We eat for energy. Exercise uses energy. Use more than you consume, you will lose weight. Exercise doesn't push food through our system, peristaltic movement does that.
    It doesnt matter when you eat, it matters how much.
    One meal and just fruit? Terribly bad advice imo.

HI Oncex, advice is advice, not a criticism.

As this is a quick information update, nothing personal, the only advice one can give is general.

As you are trying your best to improve, vary, or change your lifestyle the above are just some pointers, some which may suit and some of course which may not.

Orxy, - Hope this helps -
    http://www.homeopathy.com.pk/articles/do-not-drink-cold-water.php
    http://zeromed.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/how-does-exercise-help-in-keeping-your.html
    Running is an exercise that can tone depending on how you run, but of course other exercises are a benefit to compliment, depending on what you want to achieve.
    Everyone is different, hence although some people as young as 17 do not need to worry too much about weight and food, others do.
    Of course quantity is the basis of good eating, so height, and size, and structure have to all be taken into account. Hence, a light breakfast, good lunch, and light dinner surrounded by fruit is a good solution. As most new diets remove eating completely, and are based on liquid intake only, a better option is to reduce intake and eat healthier.

Thanks for the constructive criticisms

You link to a homeopathy (oh lord!) site and a blog. No proof or research whatsoever, just uninformed opinion.

HI Oryx,
    life is informed opinion, and everyone has theirs.
    Homeopathy is good for some, and not for others.
    Everybody is different. Some people swear that a soup spoon of Cider Vinager is the best tummy settler know to man, other can't stand the sight of it. One takes what works for them, and other look for other solutions.
    Other take Ginger to help indigestion, and air release.

Nothing is written in stone, many doctors will work with alternative medicines as conventional do not fix the problem, on the symptoms. Each individual will find what helps them.

And again this is advice, if you find something you like super, if not super again.

Cheers, off for a Cider

• Advertisement

Oh god, this is why Internet advice forums are terrible..

Please ignore most / all of the 2nd page of replies and just stick to the first page.

That's where the decent advice is.

Advertisement