Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gatso Van M1

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

Hi kbannon. I should have rephrased my statement a bit better than that. What I should have said is that high speed in general along this stretch would not be very safe due to the number of slip roads coming onto the M1 from the M50. The one where the Gatso van was parked being a particular short slip. I have attached a map from Google Maps to try to illustrate the amount of slips onto the M1 here. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin,+ireland&ie=UTF8&ll=53.414648,-6.223862&spn=0.005768,0.013819&t=h&z=16 The yellow line towards the bottom of the map with M50 written on it is the slip from the M50/M1 roundabout.To the north, there are two lanes which form two more slips. The left one becomes the left lane destined for the airport and the right lane is a very short slip onto the M1. This is where the Gatso was parked. You can see the chevrons between this slip and the M1 northbound carriageway. While all this is going on, there are also people on the right lane of the M1 trying to get into the left lane so that they can then get into the airport bound lane/slip. So a lot of merging and weaving to deal with. All in all, a rather messy situation due to space constraints and not the best of planning, IMO. Hence the reason that lower speeds should be adhered to along this stretch.

Fluffer, I have personally seen the Gardai on this stretch of Bus Lane (N4/St John's Road heading east just before the South Circular Road) give dozens of cars tickets (and presumably penalty points too) for being in the bus lane, particularly during operation free flow. Are you saying that if I join the lemmings in the bus lane and next of all a garda appears, I should say that I thought it would be dangerous for me to drive in the correct lane in case someone somehow does not see that I am stopped with brake lights on and indicator indicating left and it would be in the interest of safety if I clog up the bus lane? That would never stand and I'd be given an on the spot fine and penatly points. I am not the only person who observes the rules of the road along here and other roads too. I often have a small queue of people behind me waiting to get into the left lane at the end of the bus lane.

Just because other people jump into the bus lane doesn't mean that it's ok for me to do it. Maybe a poll is in order for this? Sorry for going off-topic about the gatso van, mod :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    THE LAW my silly friend.

surely you can have a debate without resorting to insults! well obviously, there is a difference of opinion here. i think your wrong, you think i'm wrong! il continue to do what i do, as will you. best of luck now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

highdef wrote: »
    ... I'd be given an on the spot fine and penalty points....
    No points, just a fine, €80 afaik. That's one reason lots of drivers chance it. If it was a points offence, different story!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Are you saying that if I join the lemmings in the bus lane and next of all a garda appears, I should say that I thought it would be dangerous for me to drive in the correct lane in case someone somehow does not see that I am stopped with brake lights on and indicator indicating left and it would be in the interest of safety if I clog up the bus lane?

Yes.

Especially on a dual carriageway.
    I'd be given an on the spot fine and penatly points
    No penalty points AFAIK. But I'd contest the fine.

Look there's a reason why most of the other drivers are doing it differently than you. And it's not because you're smarter than they are. It's just they decided its the correct course of action. Sure some are lemmings, joining a queue because one exists, yes. But that's a separate argument.

But if drivers drove correctly, the normal driving lanes would be full anyway so there wouldn't be an issue and the buses would fly into town instead of sitting in kilometres of bus only bus lanes full of cars.
    Would I be able to get something in writing from the Gardai saying that I would not be fined if I drove into a bus lane if there was a queue in it? I have the strangest feeling that it would be a definite NO. If I can get something signed by a garda, then I will join the already full bus lanes and contribute to the main reason why buses have such long journey times. Sure everyone else does it, I may as well join them. And sure I don't use the bus, why should I care! Am I getting the right attitude now??? I am making myself sound like a right aul selfish ignorant tosser now with no regard for users of public transport.

I'd be a fool to further delay public transport users and also to be at risk of a fine. If someone somehow cannot see that I am slowing or coming to a stop in front of them, they really need to take some lessons or get glasses, or both!!
    I really can't believe the attitude of some people here. I'm just glad I don't have to use the bus service in this city. If the bus lanes were not abused, then we would have a fantastic service. So all you tossers, get out of the bus lanes and let the buses use them. They are NOT for your use. If we all do this, those of us who have the option of using the buses can do so and get to work quicker than the car. If there's more demand for the buses as a result, more services will be introduced and they'll become more frequent.

I'll continue to dream :p

Simple fact is that you are doing something that is unexpected to other drivers. You could get yourself or others killed on a dual carriageway with your insistence on following the letter of the law.

I'm not arguing this point anymore. You continue doing what you do. I'll do what I do. Just like everyone else. Just dont expect people like me to let you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

fluffer wrote: »
    . Just dont expect people like me to let you in.

Does the bus lane not end with a Yield marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Simple fact is that you are doing something that is unexpected to other drivers. You could get yourself or others killed on a dual carriageway with your insistence on following the letter of the law.

I'm not arguing this point anymore. You continue doing what you do. I'll do what I do. Just like everyone else. Just dont expect people like me to let you in.

The op is acting in accordance with the law. It is you and the other drivers who are not and you will be fined if seen by gardaí. By refusing to let him in you are committing another offence as well - obstruction.

Does the bus lane not end with a Yield marking?
    Some do, some dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Some do, some dont.

I've yet to see a bus lane that doesn't.

I can't understand how this is still being debated. You're saying that because a chain of people are breaking the law, it would be unsafe (and unwise) for someone else to follow the law. That's an odd sort of logic.

It's exactly my logic. I've seen accidents with people doing almost what the OP suggests. I saw a car go along a line of traffic on the M50 past a queue, then slow and indicate at the end of the queue (N3). The following car smashed into him.

The bus lane situation is different in that the OP is saying to follow the letter of the law, whereas the car above was "trying it on". But I say there is a few reasons that most people dont follow the ROTR in this case.
    A: to keep the outside lane free for traffic going straight or right (depending on the road) in slow moving traffic.
    B: to stop themselves from being hit from behind in fast moving traffic on the likes of dual carriageways etc.
    C: to join the queue where the queue already exists, and not to be seen to skip the queue.
    -and yes finally-
    D: to skip backlogged traffic lawfully queuing in the ordinary lane.

Well not letting me into the beginning of the normal left lane won't make matters any better. If you were at the top of the queue in the bus lane and traffic started moving and you did not let me, then it would be you who would be causing an obstruction to me by being somewhere you shouldn't be in the first place. When I am changing to the left lane, the only thing that should be there is a bus or taxi but it would normally be free and empty so in theory cars would simply change from centre (or right) lane to the left lane where the bus lane ends and everything would go along swimmingly. Obviously, I have to give way to whatever is in the lane though. I'm not just going to drive into a car.
    Why on earth would you deliberately block someone from entering a lane at the point where they are supposed to be entering it. Looks like you're the one who is trying to cause an accident.

Anyway, this topic has kinda hijacked the original thread of a Gatso van so maybe we should leave it at that. I've no problems with continuing on but we are WAY off topic.

It's exactly my logic. I've seen accidents with people doing almost what the OP suggests. I saw a car go along a line of traffic on the M50 past a queue, then slow and indicate at the end of the queue (N3). The following car smashed into him.

This is nothing to do with what you're describing. Either the first car slowed down too quickly, indicated too late or the second car was driving too close to react in time. It could happen even if there was no bus lane and they were both driving in lane one.
    But I say there is a few reasons that most people dont follow the ROTR in this case.

In Paris, bus lanes are physically segregated from car lanes. When people want to turn left, they continue to the end of the lane, wait for the bus lane to clear and turn. They don't have the option of jumping into the bus lane early, people don't run into the back of them because they drive properly. Why is it that Irish drivers blame bus lane running on safety instead of what it really is... ignorance?

Well not letting me into the beginning of the normal left lane won't make matters any better.
    No but it would make me feel better.

There wouldnt be an "accident" -If you hit me it'd be because you chose to drive into me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

surely you can have a debate without resorting to insults! well obviously, there is a difference of opinion here. i think your wrong, you think i'm wrong! il continue to do what i do, as will you. best of luck now

If you think "silly friend" is an insult, then you must be very sensitive. My apologies though.

You can think I'm wrong all you want, but I'm right and you're wrong. There's no arguing wrong or right here. You could argue that what you do is maybe a better practice, but it's still wrong and illegal based on the rules of the road.

Anyway, I'd also suggest we drop it. If you really want to debate it open another thread.

• Advertisement

people don't run into the back of them because they drive properly. Why is it that Irish drivers blame bus lane running on safety instead of what it really is... ignorance?
    But french drivers cant enter the Bus lane.. So at the end of the bus lane drivers would be EXPECTED to manouvre.

You're both comparing scenarios between what they could/should be as opposed to what they are. I am saying that given how the situation here is not the ideal, in given situations the cautious driver is the one not following the ROTR.

But french drivers cant enter the Bus lane.. So at the end of the bus lane drivers would be EXPECTED to manouvre.

If I came to the end of a bus lane at a junction, I'd expect that people might want to turn left. Especially if they had indicated in time.

I accept you're being pragmatic and I agree that there are situations where it's unavoidable but the attitude should not be one where it's acceptable to run bus lanes simply because other people are.

I am saying that given how the situation here is not the ideal, in given situations the cautious driver is the one not following the ROTR.
    Fluffer, can you please direct me to where it says in the ROTR handbook that in this given situation, drivers should use the bus lane? I must have somehow missed that part the last time I read through it which was recently enough.

Mods, would a new thread for this topic be made? Or is it running its course?

The point D is where I said I dont support, and point C I can understand, but I am advising a common sense attitude and case-by-case approach to every ROTR.
    Fluffer, can you please direct me to where it says in the ROTR handbook that in this given situation, drivers should use the bus lane? I must have somehow missed that part the last time I read through it which was recently enough.
    Its not in it. Its called use your own judgement. Do you need everything written down for you? -You should just follow every single rule you read blindly, sue when it fails you, and complain when there are none.

Markpb - I abhor Highdef's letter-of-the-law attitude whereby he will come to a complete stop on a fast-moving dual carriageway just because he thinks has a point to prove. The first, second and third cars might see him, indicate and overtake. But to the cars way back who are suddenly confronted with a car fully parked on a dual carriageway when they are doing 60mph? His indicators flashing, and him being right will be good consolations while they recover in intensive care..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I abhor Highdef's letter-of-the-law attitude whereby he will come to a complete stop on a fast-moving dual carriageway just because he thinks has a point to prove. The first, second and third cars might see him, indicate and overtake. But to the cars way back who are suddenly confronted with a car fully parked on a dual carriageway when they are doing 60mph? His indicators flashing, and him being right will be good consolations while they recover in intensive care..
    From what I have read, you are the one on a hobby horse here. Two points: firstly the car would be stopped, not 'parked', and secondly, the speed limit mentioned is 60km/h, not 60mph. By your logic, cars that come to a stop on a carriageway due to traffic conditions would be regularly rear-ended. This just does not happen.

What you are proposing is, plainly and simply, wrong. It's your decision though. Do you do it often, and have you ever been fined?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Some do, some dont.

I'd be interested to know one that doesn't, please advise.

Fluffer, as Esel said this is on a road with a 60kmh limit, not 60mph. In fact, a 50 kmh comes into force just at the end of the bus lane and their are a set of traffic lights about 100m further on. And even with that limit, traffic goes nowhere near that speed when I drive that road in the evening. In fact the middle lane is often as slow moving or slower than the bus lane. Sometimes it can work out slower for me, sometimes quicker. Depends on the traffic on the day. It would probably be nearer an average of 20mph, if you still do speeds in British Imperial.
    As for a car appearing all of a sudden in front, that is quite ridiculous. If you are driving on a road with a full lane of slow moving or stopped trafic to you left and a major traffic light controlled junction approaching and also cars performing lane changes, you'd want to be travelling at a speed that is safe. If you can't tell from a distance that a car is ahead is stopped or traveling at a much slower speed than you, then you really shouldn't be driving. If people drive the way you describe it, there should be rear endings all over the place every day with people coming to a halt to make right hand turns and blocking the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The bus lane situation is different in that the OP is saying to follow the letter of the law, whereas the car above was "trying it on". But I say there is a few reasons that most people dont follow the ROTR in this case.
    A: to keep the outside lane free for traffic going straight or right (depending on the road) in slow moving traffic.

At the expense of public transport users.
    B: to stop themselves from being hit from behind in fast moving traffic on the likes of dual carriageways etc.

Bullcrap for the reasons others have described.
    C: to join the queue where the queue already exists, and not to be seen to skip the queue.

Those people had no right to be in the bus lane in the first place so nothing wrong with "skipping the queue".
    -and yes finally-

The one real reason.

Advertisement